Class A State Tournament

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Bleed Maroon and Gold

Class A State Tournament

Post by Bleed Maroon and Gold »

11 AM
New Ulm Vs #2 Mahtomedi

1 PM
New Prague Vs #3 EGF

6 PM
Spring Lake Park VS #1 Hermantown

8 PM
#5 ST Cloud Apollo Vs $4 Breck
karl(east)

Re: Class A State Tournament

Post by karl(east) »

Bleed Maroon and Gold wrote:11 AM
New Ulm Vs #2 Mahtomedi

1 PM
New Prague Vs #3 EGF

6 PM

8 PM
I don't know if you meant to put a dollar sign there in place of the hashtag for Breck's seed, but either way, it's fantastic. :lol:

Just one private school in the field this year. That equals the lowest total in 15 years or so, and that only happened once.
Bleed Maroon and Gold

Post by Bleed Maroon and Gold »

karl(east) wrote:
New Ulm Vs #2 Mahtomedi

1 PM
New Prague Vs #3 EGF

6 PM

8 PM
I don't know if you meant to put a dollar sign there in place of the hashtag for Breck's seed, but either way, it's fantastic. :lol:
Nope not intentional at all but I am leaving it now because it makes sense to me Just like STA and Hill will both get the same in the AA bracket. :)
curtiscurve

Post by curtiscurve »

New Ulm Vs #2 Mahtomedi

1 PM
New Prague Vs #3 EGF

6 PM

8 PM
Well, even though they do not seed 1-8, it looks like it worked out that the 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7 and 3 plays 6. The random draw got it right!
curtiscurve

Post by curtiscurve »

New Ulm Vs #2 Mahtomedi

1 PM
New Prague Vs #3 EGF

6 PM

8 PM
I think New Prague could hang with EGF and Apollo vs Breck should be a really good game. The other two, well......
rainier

Post by rainier »

At first I thought it was laughable to think Apollo could hang with Breck, but after looking over their schedules it certainly does appear to be a good match-up. I still think Breck wins, but an Apollo win wouldn't be Miracle on Ice 2.0.

As for the other three QFs, I'd be shocked if any of the lower seeded teams lost by fewer than 3 goals.
HockeyBum

Post by HockeyBum »

I would agree all top seeds should win but anything is possible. Do you remember the Warroad vs Edina matchup in the 80's that Warroad took edine late n the evening? Warroad had the same odds then to win. That's what makes this tourney the best event in the world!

Everyone is a formidable opponent until you win.
rainier

Post by rainier »

HockeyBum wrote:I would agree all top seeds should win but anything is possible. Do you remember the Warroad vs Edina matchup in the 80's that Warroad took edine late n the evening? Warroad had the same odds then to win. That's what makes this tourney the best event in the world!

Agreed. That makes me wonder, what was the last big upset in the A tourney? We all remember the East/LS shocker in AA, but has there been anything comparable in A?
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

rainier wrote:
HockeyBum wrote:I would agree all top seeds should win but anything is possible. Do you remember the Warroad vs Edina matchup in the 80's that Warroad took edine late n the evening? Warroad had the same odds then to win. That's what makes this tourney the best event in the world!

Agreed. That makes me wonder, what was the last big upset in the A tourney? We all remember the East/LS shocker in AA, but has there been anything comparable in A?
I think in the 2011 tournament and unseeded TRF team knocked off the two time defending champions in Breck. Although I think Breck was seeded more by reputation than anything. That Might be the only upset in class A since teu started the seeds
rainier

Post by rainier »

warriors41 wrote:
rainier wrote:

I think in the 2011 tournament and unseeded TRF team knocked off the two time defending champions in Breck. Although I think Breck was seeded more by reputation than anything. That Might be the only upset in class A since teu started the seeds
I know Hibbing upset Lourdes that year too, but it wasn't that big of an upset.
HockeyBum

Post by HockeyBum »

This years upsets?
I think New Ulm winning in the first round is the best chance for an upset this year. Even though Maht. Is a great team the chance are higher for them to be upset than any other team. I don't think it will happen but what if?
curtiscurve

Post by curtiscurve »

HockeyBum wrote:This years upsets?
I think New Ulm winning in the first round is the best chance for an upset this year. Even though Maht. Is a great team the chance are higher for them to be upset than any other team. I don't think it will happen but what if?
I am thinking EGF is the team most vulnerable. This really showed in their semi final matchup with Detroit Lakes. It was a pretty even game from what I heard. Then they had to have a come from behind win in the finals over TRF. New Prague is by far the best unseeded team. If I had to take one non-seeded team in an upset, it has to be New Prague.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

My phone won't let me look at spring lake parks record. How brutal us that game going to be?
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

No what if. 9-2 Mahtomedi
rainier

Post by rainier »

Put down the Schells, HockeyBum. 8)

No way New Ulm beats a team that beat both STA and HM. The Zephyrs only two losses are to STA and HM, and they have a tie with Duluth Marshall and Hastings. The Hastings result is the only remotely questionable result on their schedule.

Short of NU goalie saving 59/60 shots, nothing can save the Eagles.
HockeyBum

Post by HockeyBum »

It's 3rd street brewery, but let be clarify. There is no chance of it happening but would be the biggest upset that could be possible. New Prague and EGF wouldnt be a huge upset since GFK has struggled with lessor opponents. Breck and Apollo are not an upset game and SLP vs Hermantown just won't happen. The st Thomas win was two days before at Thomas had to play Hill don't think the focus was on Maht.