Class A Quarterfinal: New Ulm vs. #2 Mahtomedi

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Eagles
16%
Zephyrs
84%

Total votes: 37

karl(east)

Class A Quarterfinal: New Ulm vs. #2 Mahtomedi

Post by karl(east) » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:05 pm

NEW ULM VS. #2 MAHTOMEDI
-Two semi-regular visitors to the Class A tournament collide in the opener. They have no recent history with one another.

New Ulm (18-8-2, unranked, 3-seed in 3A)
State appearances: 5 (first since 2012)
Key section win: 7-5 over #20 Luverne
-New Ulm wasn’t the most hyped team in 3A, but by the end of the year they were the hottest, twice taking down favored Luverne. They score in bunches and seem to be deeper than the average 3A team, with two lines putting up significant points. Colin Huffman (10), Brandon Helget (5), Ethan Kraus (11), and Wyatt Peterson (9) lead the way offensively, and will need to continue the push for the Eagles to have any chance of stacking up. Goalie Matt Berkner (33) will likely have to withstand a barrage if they have any chance to make this one interesting.

Mahtomedi (24-4-2, #2, 1-seed in 4A)
State appearances: 8 (first since 2010)
Key section win: 5-2 over #10 St. Paul Academy
-The top Metro public school in the field had a very strong season that included wins over AA Tourney entrants St. Thomas Academy and Hill-Murray, and are among the threats to win it all. The star to watch here is junior Jack Becker (27), but they have a fairly deep and balanced attack that includes Jack Heinsch (22), Kellen Campbell (5), and Joe Forciea (7). Coach Jeff Poeschl’s defense doesn’t put up big points, but has done an effecting job of holding quality opposition in check down the stretch. While not quite as flashy as Hermantown, the pieces are there to make a serious title run.

rainier

Post by rainier » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:34 pm

8-0 Zephyrs

They will hardly break a sweat vs the Eagles.

pats12

Post by pats12 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:14 pm

Its my opinion that NUSE has one line that can score. 2nd line(the one that started vs. Luverne) didn't score in that game. Unless you're counting the one that 22 scored on his own goalie with nobody from NUSE inside the blue line (credited to Wyatt Peterson). But I do think NUSE 1st line will have some opportunities to score. Look for a lot of pressure from the Zyphers if NUSE 3rd line is on the ice. 2nd line will have its struggles also. I do hope NUSE can hang in there and make a game of it.

fastncrash

Obtuse

Post by fastncrash » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:52 am

GoaliesAreTheBest33 wrote:This and the SLP game are the reason why nobody will show up to at least two of the A games this year. Blowouts are always a good thing to have in a tournament that is supposed to crown the state champion :roll:
Double Eye Rolls, back at ya!

This Tournament, and it's entry format, IS the last gasping breath and the ONLY reason why the States current Community Hockey based program is still as strong as it is. If Neophytes, (Like Yourself) have their way and turn this into some sort of Metro Based, population slanted, event... one of the Nations most Storied and Strongest attended, STATE High School Events, WILL DIE. :roll: :roll: The fact that David and Goliath matchups happen, is much of the beauty of it as you can't have that Cinderella upset, if she's never invited to the dance... Einstein.

I hope Bemidji cancels School this week, shuts down Shops Downtown, holds a Parade and runs the Firetrucks up and down Main St... That's the type of stuff that small towns do when achievements like they have accomplished, happens. I would guess that by Wednesday, you couldn't find ANYONE in Bemidji (Hockey Fan, or not) who will NOT be aware of what the team has achieved, And I will be cheering for them also. Subsequently, I would imagine that a vast majority of Metro teams come from Communities where a large majority of the Populations have no idea what their teams have done, and that's fine too, but I'm not ignorant enough to say that they are the reason why the Tournament is/or isn't, what it is.

The MSHSL would do WELL to be aware that help with the Section re-assignments is needed to help the small population programs to gain the schedule/competition to keep growing their programs strength, and make the STATE Tournament as strong as it can be, for as long as it can.

Teams like New Ulm being in the Tourney ARE the fabric of the Tournament... and as much as I'm burping up some Purple/Feathery bile as I say it... I will be Cheering for them to take a Chunk of Goliath's flesh along the way.

12thgraders

Re: Obtuse

Post by 12thgraders » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:04 am

fastncrash wrote:
GoaliesAreTheBest33 wrote:This and the SLP game are the reason why nobody will show up to at least two of the A games this year. Blowouts are always a good thing to have in a tournament that is supposed to crown the state champion :roll:
Double Eye Rolls, back at ya!

This Tournament, and it's entry format, IS the last gasping breath and the ONLY reason why the States current Community Hockey based program is still as strong as it is. If Neophytes, (Like Yourself) have their way and turn this into some sort of Metro Based, population slanted, event... one of the Nations most Storied and Strongest attended, STATE High School Events, WILL DIE. :roll: :roll: The fact that David and Goliath matchups happen, is much of the beauty of it as you can't have that Cinderella upset, if she's never invited to the dance... Einstein.

I hope Bemidji cancels School this week, shuts down Shops Downtown, holds a Parade and runs the Firetrucks up and down Main St... That's the type of stuff that small towns do when achievements like they have accomplished, happens. I would guess that by Wednesday, you couldn't find ANYONE in Bemidji (Hockey Fan, or not) who will NOT be aware of what the team has achieved, And I will be cheering for them also. Subsequently, I would imagine that a vast majority of Metro teams come from Communities where a large majority of the Populations have no idea what their teams have done, and that's fine too, but I'm not ignorant enough to say that they are the reason why the Tournament is/or isn't, what it is.

The MSHSL would do WELL to be aware that help with the Section re-assignments is needed to help the small population programs to gain the schedule/competition to keep growing their programs strength, and make the STATE Tournament as strong as it can be, for as long as it can.

Teams like New Ulm being in the Tourney ARE the fabric of the Tournament... and as much as I'm burping up some Purple/Feathery bile as I say it... I will be Cheering for them to take a Chunk of Goliath's flesh along the way.
/\ /\ /\ /\ POST OF THE YEAR! /\ /\ /\ /\

hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:47 am

fastncrash I only have one thing to add to your post. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
It was beautiful. If you have never lived in a small hockey town, you have no idea what this means to everyone whether you love hockey or not. Pretty sure I remember last year and all the predictions of blowout for the Luverne/Hermantown game. NOT. I go to watch THAT type of game not only the metro goliaths. If you don't, you have no real heart for hockey.

hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:44 pm

6-1

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:14 am

0 votes for New Ulm.... Ouch

Teak

Post by Teak » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:51 am

Mahtomedi 1-1 New Ulm, end of period 1

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:52 am

GREAT first period for New Ulm. 1-1. Weather the storm and find a way to slow them down. 16-4 shots advantage for Mahtomedi. If the goalie stays hot we might get a 3a upset! !

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:54 am

Stats wise this is ugly but there is only one stat that matters... Never thought that stat would be 1 to 1 after 1 period

nahc

Post by nahc » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:54 am

Mahtomedi totally dominated the period. New Ulm had better clean things up in their zone pretty quickly or the game will be out of reach VERY quickly.

Teak

Post by Teak » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:06 pm

Wow, 9 seconds into second period, 2-1 for Mahtomedi.

That was fast!

Teak

Post by Teak » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:11 pm

Now 3-1 for Mahtomedi. New Ulm defender runs into his own goalkeeper. 3A meltdown begins.

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:15 pm

Reality is kicking in.

Teak

Post by Teak » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:21 pm

dherman8 wrote:Reality is kicking in.
It's all about competition during the season. Mahtomedi held its own against Hill-Murray (split) and losing the other game to St. Tom Academy. Both of those schools play tomorrow in AA tourney. That's pretty good prep for A tourney, eh?

nahc

Post by nahc » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:26 pm

Wish Mark Parish would stop justifying the goal call off by the refs. Puck was laying open in the crease, ref blew his whistle too early....... should have been a goal........

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:26 pm

Teak wrote:
It's all about competition during the season. Mahtomedi held its own against Hill-Murray (split) and losing the other game to St. Tom Academy. Both of those schools play tomorrow in AA tourney. That's pretty good prep for A tourney, eh?
True. That's why I felt Mahtomedi could've been the 1 seed. But, let's face it. Prep or not, Mahtomedi is the better team with the better players.

Teak

Post by Teak » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:32 pm

dherman8 wrote:
Teak wrote:
True. That's why I felt Mahtomedi could've been the 1 seed. But, let's face it. Prep or not, Mahtomedi is the better team with the better players.
Friday's semi could be a good one, if Mahtomedi meets East Grand Forks, which is what I suspect it will be.

Teak

Post by Teak » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:33 pm

Now, 4-1, Mahtomedi scores on a shorty.

Teak

Post by Teak » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:36 pm

New Ulm pulls one back, 4-2. End of 2nd period.

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:39 pm

Teak wrote:
dherman8 wrote:
Teak wrote:
Friday's semi could be a good one, if Mahtomedi meets East Grand Forks, which is what I suspect it will be.
I think you're right. I like the late goal by New Ulm though. Keeping it interesting far longer than expected.

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:41 pm

nahc wrote:Wish Mark Parish would stop justifying the goal call off by the refs. Puck was laying open in the crease, ref blew his whistle too early....... should have been a goal........
Just for you nahc... Coming up during the second intermission... More of Mark Parish justifying no goal....

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:43 pm

Give New Ulm some credit here. They're doing what they need to do, for the most part, not getting caught out of position much and staying out of the box. Two of the Mahtomedi goals were very soft, and New Ulm had the misfortune of that quick whistle on that near-breakaway goal. I'm not really saying they should be winning this game, but like Luverne last year, the 3A team looks like it belongs on the ice with the big guns of Class A.

Becker and Campbell make a great combo for Mahtomedi, and there isn't much of a drop-off when their 2nd and 3rd lines are out there. They need to stay out of the box and finish a bit more.

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:46 pm

karl(east) wrote:Give New Ulm some credit here. They're doing what they need to do, for the most part, not getting caught out of position much and staying out of the box. Two of the Mahtomedi goals were very soft, and New Ulm had the misfortune of that quick whistle on that near-breakaway goal. I'm not really saying they should be winning this game, but like Luverne last year, the 3A team looks like it belongs on the ice with the big guns of Class A.

Becker and Campbell make a great combo for Mahtomedi, and there isn't much of a drop-off when their 2nd and 3rd lines are out there. They need to stay out of the box and finish a bit more.
New Ulm did out shoot Mahtomedi that period 12 to 9 it looks like.