AA Quarterfinal: Duluth East vs. #3 St. Thomas Academy

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Greyhounds
47%
Cadets
53%

Total votes: 72

karl(east)

AA Quarterfinal: Duluth East vs. #3 St. Thomas Academy

Post by karl(east) »

DULUTH EAST VS. #3 ST. THOMAS ACADEMY
-This one offers a second good North-vs.-Metro battle, with the Hounds playing the unusual underdog role in St. Thomas’s AA debut. St. Thomas won a December meeting between these two 4-1; that was their first win in their three meetings with Duluth East.

Duluth East (14-10-4, #19, 3-seed in 7AA)
State appearances: 22 (7 in a row)
Championships: 3 (1960, 1995, 1998)
Key section wins: 3-2 over #16 Grand Rapids, 5-4 (2OT) over #6 Elk River
-The Hounds are the most frequent State entrant in the 2-class era, but never have the odds been so long as this season, and never have they been such a great underdog heading into the Tourney. Mike Randolph’s group doesn’t have the stars of many recent years, though senior Nick Altmann (19) has come on strong toward the end of the season, and younger brother Ash Altmann (26) and Luke Dow (21) anchor a quality second line. East is fairly deep, and boasts a strong freshman class that grew considerably over the season, including sniper Garrett Worth (5), the hero of the section final. Goaltender Gunnar Howg (31) is capable of stealing a game, and will have to be at his best, given the sometimes shaky defense; East must also stay out of the box.

St. Thomas Academy (24-4, #3, 1-seed in 3AA)
State appearances: First in AA; 8 in Class A (first since 2013)
Championships: 5, all in Class A (2006, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013)
Key section win: 3-1 over 3-seed Eastview
-After a misfire in their first season in AA, the Cadets make their Tourney debut after a march through a thin 3AA. There is no shortage of front-end talent here, with Alec Broetzman (21) and Peter Tufto (19) leading the top line, and silky Colorado College recruit Christiano Versich (20) anchoring the second along with emerging junior Will Jerry (9). Two more D-I commits, senior Seamus Donohue (17) and sophomore Brian Hurley (6), lead the defense. They’re not quite as deep as Edina or as talented as North, but as long as they aren’t too flustered by the higher level of physicality and forechecking they’ll see at this level, they’ll have a fighting shot at a title.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Can't really see a way STA will be able to hang with the resurgent Hounds. East will get up to a comfortable 4-0 lead but need to hang on. An empty netter will make it 5-3 East.
blueblood

STA vs. East

Post by blueblood »

STA will wear out the Hounds, 5-1.
bauerman

Post by bauerman »

dont know why this should be any different from the 1st game in Schwanns Sparlimb is hoping because the last thing HM wants to do is play STA again---as long as the rematch if it were to come about(which I doubt because HM is totally overrated) is played indoors HM doesn't stand a chance
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

Closer matchup than their first game but I have the Cadets 3-2.

Maybe 4-2 if they get an ENG.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

STA has huge credentials on paper, but they had a strange month of February with losses to Mahtomedi and Holy Family, and closer than expected wins over Breck and Eastview.

Hound did not exactly have a breakout February but stuck close to Blaine, tied Mtka, and did what they had to do in Section 7 playoffs. Most importantly, had the will to come back and win when Elk presented the opening

First matchup of the year , Howg was on the bench. This time he will be in net, and he has prior X experience, as do many of his teammates.

Randolph looking for another state title before retirement. STA looking for first in AA.

Karl made the point, I will reiterate because Ive wondered about it all year long about the Cadets.... "as long as they aren’t too flustered by the higher level of physicality and forechecking they’ll see at this level....."
This will begin Thursday afternoon.
nahc

Post by nahc »

Hounds 3-1
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

St. Thomas Academy 5

"The System" 1
HockeyBum

Post by HockeyBum »

East 5 --- St Thomas 4 OT
bemused

Post by bemused »

Cadets by three..No answer for the speed up front..
Just Checking

Post by Just Checking »

WestMetro wrote:STA has huge credentials on paper, but they had a strange month of February with losses to Mahtomedi and Holy Family, and closer than expected wins over Breck and Eastview.

Hound did not exactly have a breakout February but stuck close to Blaine, tied Mtka, and did what they had to do in Section 7 playoffs. Most importantly, had the will to come back and win when Elk presented the opening

First matchup of the year , Howg was on the bench. This time he will be in net, and he has prior X experience, as do many of his teammates.

Randolph looking for another state title before retirement. STA looking for first in AA.

Karl made the point, I will reiterate because Ive wondered about it all year long about the Cadets.... "as long as they aren’t too flustered by the higher level of physicality and forechecking they’ll see at this level....."
This will begin Thursday afternoon.
Putting on a hard forecheck is not a good idea against the Cadets, I am sure Randolph is aware of this. The D are too good to pressure consistently and the forwards will make you pay when the D break the pressure.
I see DE putting a trap into play, can't afford a track meet. They gotta hope for Howg to play great and STA's tender to play sub par. If they both play well STA wins, if they both play OK STA wins.
bauerman

Post by bauerman »

amazing to se the DE hopefulls, obviousley they could win but would be similiar to the 1980 lake placid team east will have to play a trap the entire game and play for breaks --could happen dont think so 5-2 sta
Hockeywatcher123

Post by Hockeywatcher123 »

Should be a great game. I give the cadets the edge in every aspect exact goaltending which is obviously huge. That being said Snow is still a solid goalie who is capable of stealing a game himself. Two (actually 3) great coaches. I think it will be a one goal game and it maybe an OT thriller. I hope whoever wins can give Edina a good run in the semis. My heart says East will win but my head says STA. Ill take the cadets 4-3.

Also looking forward to 2 great student sections battling. That should be just as close as the game on the ice.
dizlutheastt218

Post by dizlutheastt218 »

Alright, here it is. the long awaited dizulheastt prediction. Now that I have watched a game this year it is safe to say that this will be the year the hounds take it all. Best draw that East could have gotten. With that being said, after hours of researching data and calling my guys out in Vegas, I like the Hounds in this one.

EHS 5
Shattuck Rejects 2
"lets play curling"
east side 218
hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey »

Hockeywatcher123 wrote:Should be a great game. I give the cadets the edge in every aspect exact goaltending which is obviously huge. That being said Snow is still a solid goalie who is capable of stealing a game himself. Two (actually 3) great coaches. I think it will be a one goal game and it maybe an OT thriller. I hope whoever wins can give Edina a good run in the semis. My heart says East will win but my head says STA. Ill take the cadets 4-3.

Also looking forward to 2 great student sections battling. That should be just as close as the game on the ice.
I just hope they don't banish the cadets to the upper deck like they normally do for AA. It was always fun having their huge section taking over the lower bowl.
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

D(east) can't win outside of Amsoil.

STA - 47
D(east) - 3
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
kniven

Post by kniven »

DrGaf wrote:D(east) can't win outside of Amsoil.

STA - 47
D(east) - 3
Oh Elk River, I feel bad for you. It's ok. I really don't think you guys will have to deal with northern Minnesota teams next year and beyond. 7AA wishes yo the best of luck in your future :)
green4

Post by green4 »

bauerman wrote:amazing to se the DE hopefulls, obviousley they could win but would be similiar to the 1980 lake placid team east will have to play a trap the entire game and play for breaks --could happen dont think so 5-2 sta
Did you really compare this game to the Miracle game? Take a look at the poll on top, it is almost 50/50
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

green4 wrote:
bauerman wrote:amazing to se the DE hopefulls, obviousley they could win but would be similiar to the 1980 lake placid team east will have to play a trap the entire game and play for breaks --could happen dont think so 5-2 sta
Did you really compare this game to the Miracle game? Take a look at the poll on top, it is almost 50/50
He’s an STA guy that has delusions of grandeur about his team.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

hawkhockey wrote:
Hockeywatcher123 wrote:Should be a great game. I give the cadets the edge in every aspect exact goaltending which is obviously huge. That being said Snow is still a solid goalie who is capable of stealing a game himself. Two (actually 3) great coaches. I think it will be a one goal game and it maybe an OT thriller. I hope whoever wins can give Edina a good run in the semis. My heart says East will win but my head says STA. Ill take the cadets 4-3.

I just hope they don't banish the cadets to the upper deck like they normally do for AA. It was always fun having their huge section taking over the lower bowl.
I hope they class up the joint and don't allow the cadets inside.
SFA1992

Post by SFA1992 »

elliott70 wrote:
hawkhockey wrote:

As a cadet alum, let's not compare this game to Lake Placid.. That's a bit far fetched..

And c'mon lets also not go that far; "class up the joint".. don't be silly. Would you also like 216 to be banned? Whether you like what they do or not, student sections like that are what helps make the tourny great. It's just a bitta banta'
hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey »

4-1 St thomas
sparty

Post by sparty »

I think it's great STA gets its first AA opponent in the AA tournament - Duluth East. Upset alert!
team22tank

Post by team22tank »

elliott70 wrote:
hawkhockey wrote:

I wonder if they are going to choreograph their goal celebrations with the students again. Like when they were beating the crap out of the A teams?
Sotaboy

Post by Sotaboy »

SFA1992 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
hawkhockey wrote: I just hope they don't banish the cadets to the upper deck like they normally do for AA. It was always fun having their huge section taking over the lower bowl.
I hope they class up the joint and don't allow the cadets inside.[/quote

I would put the cadets up there as the classiest group at the tourney....and as for the banter, they are an all male school....gotta have some fun;)]

As a cadet alum, let's not compare this game to Lake Placid.. That's a bit far fetched..

And c'mon lets also not go that far; "class up the joint".. don't be silly. Would you also like 216 to be banned? Whether you like what they do or not, student sections like that are what helps make the tourny great. It's just a bitta banta'