HS Hockey geography question?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

LSQRANK

HS Hockey geography question?

Post by LSQRANK » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:06 pm

I'm in the middle of a small GIS project, and just wondering what MSHSL hockey team do hockey player who attend Jordan High School play on or coop with? The MSHSL section assignment page does not list Jordan under hockey, and I don't see it listed under any coops with nearby schools like New Prague, Prior Lake, Chanhassen or Shakopee. The same question applies to Belle Plain. Geographically Jordan school district and Belle plain are quite large, mostly farm land, but there's got to be some hockey players? do they just open enroll else where. Can anyone elaborate on this. thanks.

ps. same question for Randolph & Cannon Falls

hockeydad

Post by hockeydad » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:01 pm

Neither BP or Jordan have an official boys hockey pairing. I know that several area associations draw kids from those communities, and most likely, if anyone wants to play hockey from those communities, they open enroll or go to a private school. I would expect BP kids would go to New Prague, Waconia or Le Sueur for hockey. Jordan kids might go to Shakopee, Prior Lake, Chaska, or New Prague.

Pretty sure New Prague, Waconia or the Le Sueur coop would never officially coop with Belle Plaine or Jordan because it would bump them up to Class AA.

Prior Lake does have a co-op for girls hockey with Belle Plaine.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:41 pm

Cannon Falls and Randolph both had a co-op with Northfield in the past, they don't now though. I don't know the reason for sure but if I had to guess it would be that currently no CF or Randolph kids play hockey or if they do they just open enroll since they have to go to Northfield for practice anyhow.

Many schools in 1A and in 3A have co-ops form and dissolve fairly regularly as kids come and go. Lourdes has had Stewartville, Pine Island, and Chatfield. Winona has had Wabasha, Lewiston, and St. Charles just to name a couple. As hockeydad points out A schooks do like to stay below the AA cutoff though while AA schools don't seem to care ......see Dodge County, they're around 8 schools now. That said both New Ulm and LeSeuer picked up defunct programs and were allowed to stay in A even though their numbers were AA

If your looking for a list of co-ops through the years Lee's Minnhock page has listed them under the "What's in a name" tab for years.

Roy01

Post by Roy01 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:13 pm

I think Randolph is paired with Hastings. Not 100% sure on that though.

defense

Post by defense » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:20 am

It is not uncommon for a hockey player from a town with no hockey team to open enroll as a freshman at whatever school is associated with the youth program he has been playing for

urban iceman

Post by urban iceman » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:40 am

There have been kids from Leseuer and Henderson open enroll to New Prague for more competitive hockey in the past.

Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:27 pm

Warroad maybe???