Lost Art of the Hip Check

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BlueLineSpecial

Lost Art of the Hip Check

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Is it just me or has there been a renaissance with the hip check this tourney?
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
Schotzy

Re: Lost Art of the Hip Check

Post by Schotzy »

BlueLineSpecial wrote:Is it just me or has there been a renaissance with the hip check this tourney?
It is nice to see. I have been teaching my Squirt how to do that. Laid out a kid with it a few weeks ago. He had a grin on his face a mile wide from the penalty box.

He says....."just wait until I am a bantam"
hipcheck

hipcheck

Post by hipcheck »

The hipcheck is a lost art of the game. Primarily because if not done properly, it can severely injure a player. Executed properly, it is an effective way to stop an attacking player and will not cause injury. You very seldom see it in the college ranks or NHL due to the same reason, too many injuries. Open ice is where the injuries occur more frequently. Along the boards, not so bad.
57special

Post by 57special »

Hip check has gone out of favor because it is often deemed to be an attack on the knees if the execution is just a tad off.

One great thing about the hip check is that it doesn't involve a hit on the head of either player.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

57special wrote:Hip check has gone out of favor because it is often deemed to be an attack on the knees if the execution is just a tad off.
A lot of big, clean hit these days elicits fights on the pro level. It's not just hip checks. It is beyond ridiculous.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Hip checks are down because you end up in the box for tripping.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

57special wrote:Hip check has gone out of favor because it is often deemed to be an attack on the knees if the execution is just a tad off.

One great thing about the hip check is that it doesn't involve a hit on the head of either player.
This is a good reason for the hip check to be taught and actually encouraged. That and they are a thing of beauty when executed.