New Section Assignments Posted

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

paulsonj72

Post by paulsonj72 »

Jumbolaya wrote:
east hockey wrote:I'm puzzled by this, also. That and Minnehaha Academy is now AA?

Lee
Per the MSHSL website, Minnehaha's 9-12 enrollment this year was 414 students, so that's really odd.
TooManyEagles wrote:That's because I forgot Champlin Park. Fixed above.
Gotcha, thanks. I still think Andover makes sense with the other A/B/C schools in 5AA, but at least the numbers are a bit more even.
Minnehaha Academy's hockey program is a coop program with 3 other schools listed. The other schools are De La Salle, St Agnes and St Croix Lutheran. The MSHSL uses full enrollment for coops so lets add those other schools enrollments to Minehaha Academy's enrollment. The new Minnehaha enrollment for next year is 347 De La Salle is 696 St Agnes is 226 and St Croix Lutheran is 441. Add all 4 together and you get 1710 which is over the 1199 and above for automatic placement in AA. Hope that helps. link to school enrollments for 2015-2017 is here.

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/enrollments15.asp?sort=2
jonandrews13

Post by jonandrews13 »

twolinepass wrote:It's a joke how 1AA stays unchanged. Should have moved a team from section 2 and 6 to breath some new life and challenge the Lakeville Schools. I understand Farmington is up and coming but section 1 has been a two team race for years.
Agreed. I always hope Mayo or John Marshall can get a good team one year and change things, but it never happens.
I need ER vs BJ from 2002 State Quarterfinals. PM me.
TooManyEagles

Post by TooManyEagles »

paulsonj72 wrote:
Jumbolaya wrote:
east hockey wrote:I'm puzzled by this, also. That and Minnehaha Academy is now AA?

Lee
Per the MSHSL website, Minnehaha's 9-12 enrollment this year was 414 students, so that's really odd.
Gotcha, thanks. I still think Andover makes sense with the other A/B/C schools in 5AA, but at least the numbers are a bit more even.
Minnehaha Academy's hockey program is a coop program with 3 other schools listed. The other schools are De La Salle, St Agnes and St Croix Lutheran. The MSHSL uses full enrollment for coops so lets add those other schools enrollments to Minehaha Academy's enrollment. The new Minnehaha enrollment for next year is 347 De La Salle is 696 St Agnes is 226 and St Croix Lutheran is 441. Add all 4 together and you get 1710 which is over the 1199 and above for automatic placement in AA. Hope that helps. link to school enrollments for 2015-2017 is here.

Awesome, thank you. Many hands make quick work. I know Marshall and LeSueur are also big co-op programs.
moosepaw

Coop

Post by moosepaw »

The big concern is allowing coops to opt down, Riverlakes has the entire stearns county pretty much, allowing New London Spicer to stay with River LakesCoop will destroy Willmar HS program even more.

Chaka is a lock at AA. Mahtomedi is enjoying there final years at A will be double a soon.
Nebhoc471

Post by Nebhoc471 »

TooManyEagles wrote:
paulsonj72 wrote:
Jumbolaya wrote: Per the MSHSL website, Minnehaha's 9-12 enrollment this year was 414 students, so that's really odd.

Awesome, thank you. Many hands make quick work. I know Marshall and LeSueur are also big co-op programs.
From what I've gathered teams that are over the AA enrollment threshold due to being in a coop can petition down. So Minneapolis, Marshall, LeSuer, and Mound-Westonka (coop with Watertown put them over) will probably petition down. However St. Louis Park and Spring Lake Park might be out of luck since those schools each have enrollment over the threshold. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
blindref

Post by blindref »

paulsonj72 wrote:
Jumbolaya wrote:

Lee

It doesn't matter for Hockey, but I'm always curious why Brainerd is always around 1500-1600 on this report when they have another 500+ Freshman kids across the parking lot that puts them around 2,000 in most years.
This does make a difference with Football now that Totino ops up.

Do all schools count their Freshman in their enrollment in regards to where their teams are placed?
TooManyEagles

Post by TooManyEagles »

blindref wrote:
paulsonj72 wrote:
Jumbolaya wrote: Per the MSHSL website, Minnehaha's 9-12 enrollment this year was 414 students, so that's really odd.

It doesn't matter for Hockey, but I'm always curious why Brainerd is always around 1500-1600 on this report when they have another 500+ Freshman kids across the parking lot that puts them around 2,000 in most years.
This does make a difference with Football now that Totino ops up.

Do all schools count their Freshman in their enrollment in regards to where their teams are placed?
I'm under the impression that it only counts 10-12 enrollment? Or it did when I was in high school, which was admittedly a decade ago now. I know there are some 10-12 high schools left in the state which makes it more difficult for them to get an accurate number of Freshmen.

Edit: The numbers make it seem more likely that it is 9-12. I'm from the metro and have no idea what Brainerd's enrollment looks like, and if they're only at 1600 even with including the 9th graders. Many of them seem off compared to what the schools report or what their wikipedia pages report. Hopkins appears to be off by 300-400 students for example. Not enough to account for an entire freshman class perhaps, but still a noticeable amount.
paulsonj72

Post by paulsonj72 »

Makes you wonder what the reduced/free lunch number at Brainerd High School is. Remember only 40% of those numbers are used by the MSHSL to determine enrollments for extracurricular activities the MSHSL sponsors.
PuckLife

Post by PuckLife »

seems like Wayzata and BSM got the short end of the stick in a way. They split the top 6 of 6aa into 2 with EP, Tonka and HF having to deal with Prior Lake, while Way. BSM and Hop. now has the challenge of Edina, CDH and even Holy Angels. Not sure how that is justifiable since the location doesn't make much sense at all.
TooManyEagles

Post by TooManyEagles »

paulsonj72 wrote:Makes you wonder what the reduced/free lunch number at Brainerd High School is. Remember only 40% of those numbers are used by the MSHSL to determine enrollments for extracurricular activities the MSHSL sponsors.
That could also be it. I notice that Coon Rapids MSHSL "enrollment" number is 600 less than the school claims to actually have in it. Not to pick on the Cardinals, but I did live there and know that there is a very high free/reduced lunch percentage in the schools.

I checked the enrollment rules on the MSHSL site and they do use 9-12, with the free/reduced lunch deduction being the only alteration to co-educational schools.
jonandrews13

Post by jonandrews13 »

Nebhoc471 wrote:
TooManyEagles wrote:
paulsonj72 wrote: Minnehaha Academy's hockey program is a coop program with 3 other schools listed. The other schools are De La Salle, St Agnes and St Croix Lutheran. The MSHSL uses full enrollment for coops so lets add those other schools enrollments to Minehaha Academy's enrollment. The new Minnehaha enrollment for next year is 347 De La Salle is 696 St Agnes is 226 and St Croix Lutheran is 441. Add all 4 together and you get 1710 which is over the 1199 and above for automatic placement in AA. Hope that helps. link to school enrollments for 2015-2017 is here.

From what I've gathered teams that are over the AA enrollment threshold due to being in a coop can petition down. So Minneapolis, Marshall, LeSuer, and Mound-Westonka (coop with Watertown put them over) will probably petition down. However St. Louis Park and Spring Lake Park might be out of luck since those schools each have enrollment over the threshold. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
I saw somewhere that Spring Lake Park had an enrollment of 1,192 this year, so I'm guessing theirs will be over the 1,200 threshold next year forcing them to play AA. Which makes sense because their conference is made up of most of those new section opponents now. Going to be some tough years for the Panthers after finally making it in Class A.
paulsonj72

Post by paulsonj72 »

jonandrews13 wrote:
Nebhoc471 wrote:
TooManyEagles wrote: Awesome, thank you. Many hands make quick work. I know Marshall and LeSueur are also big co-op programs.
I saw somewhere that Spring Lake Park had an enrollment of 1,192 this year, so I'm guessing theirs will be over the 1,200 threshold next year forcing them to play AA. Which makes sense because their conference is made up of most of those new section opponents now. Going to be some tough years for the Panthers after finally making it in Class A.
Enrollment of 1226 for next year and as a result Spring Lake Park has moved up to Class AA in Section 5. Schools listed in this section for next year are as follows:

Anoka High School
Blaine High School
Centennial High School
Champlin Park High School
Coon Rapids High School
Maple Grove High School
Spring Lake Park High School
Coop: 342 "Osseo H.S."
Maranatha Christian Academy
Osseo High School (HOST)
Coop: 345 "North Metro Stars"
Brooklyn Center High School
Columbia Heights High School
Park Center High School (HOST
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

nm
HSPuckFan

Post by HSPuckFan »

When do they determine section semifinal & championship game locations?Dose anyone know if Target Center is being considered?I know it's not the greatest venue in the world but I would think most people would prefer it to being packed into Aldrich like sardines.Also I would love to see 6A moved back to the MAC permanently,and 8AA in Bemidji.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Holy crap 7AA will be tough section the next few years.
blueblood

7AA

Post by blueblood »

It already was difficult; just ask the Elkoholics from ER
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

HSPuckFan wrote:When do they determine section semifinal & championship game locations?Dose anyone know if Target Center is being considered?I know it's not the greatest venue in the world but I would think most people would prefer it to being packed into Aldrich like sardines.Also I would love to see 6A moved back to the MAC permanently,and 8AA in Bemidji.
Disagree...the atmosphere at Aldrich was electric...for 5AA It worked out just fine...maybe not for 4AA though where it's a home game for HM :)
HSPuckFan

Post by HSPuckFan »

hockey59 wrote:
HSPuckFan wrote:When do they determine section semifinal & championship game locations?Dose anyone know if Target Center is being considered?I know it's not the greatest venue in the world but I would think most people would prefer it to being packed into Aldrich like sardines.Also I would love to see 6A moved back to the MAC permanently,and 8AA in Bemidji.
Disagree...the atmosphere at Aldrich was electric...for 5AA It worked out just fine...maybe not for 4AA though where it's a home game for HM :)
To me playing HM playing on home ice really doesn't matter.It's more about the fans.I didn't really pay much attention to fan reaction after the games there, but if things went off without many hitches maybe it can work at Aldrich.It just seem like an arena with 1 ticket booth and 1 concession stand wouldn't be the best option.Plus being from Mahtomedi,Aldrich was always were we knew we wanted to be come late February. Now apparently it's gonna be Roseville arena,Although I'm guessing inside of 5 years or so we'll be in 4AA anyway as someone else eluded to in a previous post.
BP

Post by BP »

TooManyEagles wrote:
paulsonj72 wrote:Here is the complete list of opt ups for all sports Just focus on boys hockey here.

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/optups15.asp
Yeah, there were a few others I was suspicious of besides Minnehaha. LeSueur, Marshall, Spring Lake Park, Chaska, and St. Louis Park come to mind.

A lot of those schools will opt down or drop a few co-ops to go back go A. The other loop hole that Kennedy and Minneapolis uses. If your school has over 51% of assisted lunches for students, you can opt down. That's how Kennedy and Mpls did it two years ago. These sections will all change in a month when 7-8 of these A teams go back into A
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

I don't get why this does not mirror more of the youth hockey play downs. 8 AA schools north of St. Cloud. Seems like a perfect region to me. I get the tradition of having both 7AA and 8AA have north schools in it, but times are a changing and with enrollment based criteria, how does it not make sense to have one north section for AA, or maybe it makes to much sense. DE can then drive to TRF to play section games on neutral ice...
gorilla1

Post by gorilla1 »

Hats off to LVN. In looking at the sections, it looks to me like a monkey could have do e a better job in placing the teams. Either that or they were playing darts one night.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

MWS coach wrote:I don't get why this does not mirror more of the youth hockey play downs. 8 AA schools north of St. Cloud. Seems like a perfect region to me. I get the tradition of having both 7AA and 8AA have north schools in it, but times are a changing and with enrollment based criteria, how does it not make sense to have one north section for AA, or maybe it makes to much sense. DE can then drive to TRF to play section games on neutral ice...
I totally agree lets make the state tournament metro-centric after all the metro teams are far more entitled to annual trips St. Paul. Don't stop with AA do it in single A too! Fantastic idea. Cannot have an all out state A and AA final like this season. Get on the MSHSL board and make the change.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Holy crap 7AA will be tough section the next few years.
Rapids may have their best team in many years next season, but East going as far as they did with such a young team, Elk River and Cloquet have strong youth programs, and Duluth Marshall already strong, getting stronger with the AA move. Yeah, it's going to be insane next year. If Randolph comes back, East is still the hands down favorite no matter what anyone else does.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

twolinepass wrote:It's a joke how 1AA stays unchanged. Should have moved a team from section 2 and 6 to breath some new life and challenge the Lakeville Schools. I understand Farmington is up and coming but section 1 has been a two team race for years.
1AA is 9-3 the last 4 years at the state tournament, better than any other section except for 2AA. Sure it's been 2 teams but the same can be said for nearly every section. Bemidji broke the Moorhead/Roseau lock for the first time in 26 years or so, Duluth East has been 7 times in a row, Stillwater put a 1 year hold on the Hill-Murray/WBL stranglehold. The fact is most sections really aren't that competitive outside 2 teams. I think people just miss the first round "bye" that 1AA provided up until 2007. Be thankful they didn't put LeSeuer in and take the Lakeville schools out.

I am surprised Faribault went to AA, I can't imagine they get any kids from the Deaf school (they have in the past though) and Bethelem Academy is an A football school. Century having a co-op with Stewartville surprises me too, I can't see getting enough kids from there to make a difference between fielding a team or not which will be an issue.

Lastly, it's a local issue but nearly across the board New Prague is in 1AA or the highest level section 1 teams compete at, the Big Nine and especially the larger 4 schools should have pushed for New Prague to join instead of Red Wing who is among the smallest schools.
jonandrews13

Post by jonandrews13 »

goldy313 wrote:
1AA is 9-3 the last 4 years at the state tournament, better than any other section except for 2AA. Sure it's been 2 teams but the same can be said for nearly every section.
Very good point. Didn't realize that about 1AA.