New Section Assignments Posted

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

wolfman

Post by wolfman »

St Cloud is growing but the people that are moving in don't play hockey. Maybe that will change someday.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

How many realignment committee members have ties to STA? :roll:
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

While the population has been growing the hockey numbers have been dropping since 2008. The proposal that was voted down at a Mn Hockey meeting to split the association along the 2 high school attendance areas, had it passed would have put pressure to increase recruiting and bring back successful fund raisers.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

green4 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
Hockey7326 wrote: Eagan has one high school that is named Eagan High School, but the city is actually divided between 4 separate high school collection areas...Eagan, Eastview, Burnsville, and Sibley.
Two minutes for...embellishment (ding!)
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

The MSHSL made some adjustments to the sections on the girls side today. Any possible changes for the boys side?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

alcloseshaver wrote:The MSHSL made some adjustments to the sections on the girls side today. Any possible changes for the boys side?
What changes did they make over on the girls' side? Anything comparable to what many of us would like to see happen for the boys?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

karl(east) wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:The MSHSL made some adjustments to the sections on the girls side today. Any possible changes for the boys side?
What changes did they make over on the girls' side? Anything comparable to what many of us would like to see happen for the boys?
For the girls, which rely more on co-ops than the boys, the sections were balanced out. Not so much geographically, but more to even the number of teams in each section, while also achieving a better balance for the sections in the Metro area:

Class A - 56 teams (8 sections, each with 7 teams)
Class AA - 63 teams (8 sections; 7 of which have 8 teams, one with 7 teams)
Total: 119 teams

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/SectionAssig ... tivity=460
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Boys AA sections range from 7 to 10 teams, would be nice to balance it out. Not a big fan of a bye for the one seed.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Maybe those in charge of the girls section assignments are better at math and geography. What they've done with reconfiguring the girls sections makes to much sense. A 1 vs 8 quarterfinal game matters besides a historic upset there is the more likely suspension or injury. Should do something with the boys section 1AA like move in Hastings, Burnsville or Eastview from 3AA.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

I see that St. Peter has moved back down to Class A, but Marshall (the town) is still listed as class AA. Anybody have an update on that??

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/SectionAssig ... tivity=410
BP

Post by BP »

notTONIGHT wrote:I see that St. Peter has moved back down to Class A, but Marshall (the town) is still listed as class AA. Anybody have an update on that??

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/SectionAssig ... tivity=410
Last I heard, there were a number of teams still appealing down to A. But, the State HS League is never in a hurry to do the right thing and let kids and teams linger until the last minute.
bauerman

Post by bauerman »

Slap Shot wrote:How many realignment committee members have ties to STA? :roll:
I could be wrong but I believe every committee member has ties to STA
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

bauerman wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:How many realignment committee members have ties to STA? :roll:
I could be wrong but I believe every committee member has ties to STA
I can confirm this.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

A Month and half later Marshall (the Town) is still listed in Class AA, Section 2.

Maybe the Paperwork got mixed up with Duluth Marshall?

The season opens in 5 weeks and this hasnt been addressed. I see the girls team from Marshall is in Class A.

Maybe the NCIQAAFARFIGNOOGIN ratings will improve for the big south conference featuring another AA program......
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

notTONIGHT wrote:A Month and half later Marshall (the Town) is still listed in Class AA, Section 2.

The season opens in 5 weeks and this hasnt been addressed. I see the girls team from Marshall is in Class A.

Maybe the NCIQAAFARFIGNOOGIN ratings will improve for the big south conference featuring another AA program......

...quite the obsession about Marshall, eh? I guess someone didn't attend the press conference on this one.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Corn Cobb wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:A Month and half later Marshall (the Town) is still listed in Class AA, Section 2.

...quite the obsession about Marshall, eh? I guess someone didn't attend the press conference on this one.
ob·sess
əbˈses/
verb
past tense: obsessed; past participle: obsessed

preoccupy or fill the mind of (someone) continually, intrusively, and to a troubling extent.
I would say I am more of a "Concerned Resident".
InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 »

notTONIGHT wrote:
ob·sess
əbˈses/
verb
past tense: obsessed; past participle: obsessed

preoccupy or fill the mind of (someone) continually, intrusively, and to a troubling extent.
I would say I am more of a "Concerned Resident".
I didn't know that Luverne residents were considered part of Marshall!!
BP

Post by BP »

The MSHSL meet every other month. Next meeting is 9/30 and 10/1. I'd think it will be addressed then.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Total # of AA schools based on set criteria minus AA schools electing to move down (that get rightfully approved) plus A schools opting to move up (of course excluding Herm'A'ntown) divided by 8. Section 1 is bad enough but to only have 7 teams in the AA section makes no sense. :x
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Section 1 is bad enough but to only have 7 teams in the AA section makes no sense. :x
Makes even less sense with 3AA sitting next door with 10 teams (again). And if Marshall (the city) does get moved down to A, then 3AA will be sitting next to two sections with seven teams.

Send Burnsville back to 2AA (or Jefferson, since it is a better geographic fit), and move Hastings to 1AA (where it absolutely geographically belongs). Problem solved...but only if MSHSL is willing to see that there's a problem in the first place. :idea:
Two minutes for...embellishment (ding!)
GoldenBear69

Post by GoldenBear69 »

8AA Regular Season Prediction

1. St. Michael-Albertville (strong goaltending & defense...hungry to prove themselves)
2. Moorhead (young but talented, will need time to mature...good shot to regain the 'crown')
3. Bemidji (granted only a few starters lost...but big holes to fill. Expect a "The Tourney" hangover)
4. Roseau (give 'em another year before they contend again)
5. Buffalo (upset special...could be the darkhorse, but just not enough depth to seriously contend)
6. Brainerd (give them...2 years, unfortunately for them MHD super strong then)
7. Rogers (...not a chance)
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

1AA has 8 teams, not 7, I'm not sure why you think there is 7. As for bad, 1AA should have 3 top 20 teams, which is better than some other sections.

Faibault's co-op put them over the clsss A threshold, Faribault on occasion gets a kid from MSAD, maybe one every 5-10 years. They Co-op with MSAD in a number of sports to give kids an opportunity that they wouldn't get at that school. Instead of dissolving and reestablishing the co-op Faribault leaves it in place, it makes sense since MSAD gets kids from all over and there is no way to determine if a hockey player will enroll there each fall in the spring when sections are established.
BP

Post by BP »

I'm hearing at least 2 teams were told they are back in A for next two seasons. I'd assume a few more are as well. It'll be interesting to see once the State HS League posts the new sections. Probably not much of a change, but a few sections in AA might be light on teams.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

The MSHSL tried to make adjustments but the schools had their schedules set and changes were not implemented. Need to balance the number of teams in the sections.
BP

Post by BP »

alcloseshaver wrote:The MSHSL tried to make adjustments but the schools had their schedules set and changes were not implemented. Need to balance the number of teams in the sections.
Regular season schedules have nothing to do with sections.