Early Rankings in both classes

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hermantown2000

Early Rankings in both classes

Post by hermantown2000 »

I know we are suffering the post state tournament blues but it is never too early to look at the contender. Here is my top ten for next year:
Class A:
1. Mahtomedi-Zeyphrs look like the early favorite. Will build on this years performance. Good chance they might be the ones the hoist trophy.
2.East Grand Forks-Can they three peat? Possibly but can they avoid players transferring or defections.
3.Hermantown-Will no. 7 be lucky this time? They are the big favorites in 7A but nothing isa slam dunk.
4. Breck- Love them or hate em, the traditional Class A private school.power is not going away soon.
5.St Cloud Apollo- Another year or two they could win this
6. New Prague
7.Delano- Tigers will be extra motivated to get that first trip to St.Paul after coming soo close
8. Hibbing
9.Orono
10. Denfeld-The state tournament drought will end someday.
Class AA
1. Lakeville North- Will take some loses but still has strong foundation for a couple of years.
2. Eden Prairie-Eagles have ambitions of winning the first state title in the post Rau era
3.Edina-Motivated by being upset in semis, good chance Giles has his Hornets back on top.
4.St. Thomas Academy- Despite an early exit the Cadets showed they could compete in AA.

5. Hill Murray
6. Elk River- Is next year when the Amsoil Arena/DECC curse is broken?
7. Benilde St. Margarets
8.Duluth East- Randolph did his best job coaching this year. Optimism is high for the Hounds in the next few years
9. Roseau
10.Wayzata
rainier

Post by rainier »

I would put Hermantown ahead of EGF, as they only lose 1 of their top defensemen and they have another excellent sophomore (this season) that should step right in and may even be an upgrade over the senior that played the spot this year. The Hawks defense and goaltending will be even better next season, but the offense my drop off a bit.

Mahtomedi does return a ton, so them at #1 is entirely reasonable.

For AA, I think Grand Rapids will be a top 5 team, and I also think they break East's 7AA stranglehold next year.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Yes, don't mean to be a homer, but I've seen certain hockey scouts on twitter post that Rapids may have 8-9 future D1 players on the roster next year. On paper they should be a top 5 team in the state. Bantams are defending state champs and play Centennial next week in the first round of state, currently ranked #4 I believe. That said, Duluth East should also be a top 5 team if they find a goalie to replace Howg.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
HSPuckFan

Post by HSPuckFan »

I love seeing Mahtomedi at 1 but it all depends on Jack Becker,I've heard from friends he could be going to the USHL.We'll see,I hope he stays.
Go Zephyrs
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

Anyone from Lakeville have an early indication on if R. Poehling sticks around or goes to play Jr's with his older brothers? Enebak, Johnson, and Edquist all looked ready for the USHL to me as well.

Either way, Lakeville South and Farmington will be better next year and 1AA will be a lot tougher to predict.

Watch out for Jefferson as they move over to 3AA.

I've heard the same thing about Rapids from some of my northern friends.
EP1955g

Post by EP1955g »

Apollo will not be getting better in the years to come. They had 23 skaters try out this year. With six seniors graduating and possibly 0 9th graders attending the school that play hockey, they may not have a full 20 man roster next year. They will be good, but with 15 seniors next year the program has less than 365 days of life. All varsity players at Apollo this year played JV.
green4

Post by green4 »

Too early for predictions really, have to wait to see who leaves. I don't think Edina or STA should be in the top 4 for next year with the amount that they lose. Both lose a ton of key seniors and goaltenders, plus Edina's Wait already said he was going USHL so its a likely rebuild for both schools. Of course they have the resources to be top 10 even with a rebuild.

If North keeps their top guys they should be top 5, nowhere near as dominant as this team, but with Edquist in net, a very good 2nd line and one 1st liner returning, they will be tough.

If EP keeps Mittlestedt and Graham they will be dangerous.

Grand Rapids has a chance to be really good, but the way East played this year down the stretch they might not make it out of 7AA.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

My initial AA list for 2015-16 is as follows, at this point assumes no early departs except Wait, who is already announced:

TOP 10 2015-2016 AA teams with returning high level talent

EP---Graham* ,Johannes, Leivermann, Middlestadt* , Sullivan, Durocher

Lakeville North---Poehling* , Enebek, Johnson, Klans, Schneider, Edquist*

STA--- Jerry, Hurley, McDonald, Reim, Smallidge, Stucker, Goalie: Kelly?

Edina--- Dornbach, Copeland, Foley, Sheerer, Phillips, Walker, Tabor?

BSM--Austin,,Calengor, Gleekel, Heimbold, Moore,Risteau,Mayer, Bischel

Prior Lake---Clemens, Denman, Fellows, Gackle, Hansen, Harris?,Scites

Grand Rapids-- Adams, Bischoff*, Koehn, Mattson*,Miller Stampohar,

Hill Murray--Anderson*, Ranello, Staum, Reffenberger, Yeo, Mills, Begley

Wayzata---Duma, Pattersen, Senden*, Sorenson*,Zimmer*,Schilling

Blaine---Penn, Noterman, Tufte*, ,Goalie Kallestad

*Potential early depart for USHL or Ann Arbor NTDP.
Hockeygoon19

Post by Hockeygoon19 »

Holy Family---Garin*, Anderson*, Reddan, Rock, Ziemer, Kalenberg, Almquist, Marooney Goalies Moe & Stauber
cigar

Post by cigar »

i think pugh should be back for Edina next year?

I have to believe minnetonka will be top 5. very young and were unlucky not to make it this year..
WCHBlog

Post by WCHBlog »

Silly to even discuss this before free agency starts this summer.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

WCHBlog wrote:Silly to even discuss this before free agency starts this summer.
This is one of the best posts of the year thus far. Let the promises begin!!
jonandrews13

Post by jonandrews13 »

DubCHAGuy wrote:Watch out for Jefferson as they move over to 3AA.
I hope so. Been too long since the Jags have been to State.
I need ER vs BJ from 2002 State Quarterfinals. PM me.
12thgraders

Re: Early Rankings in both classes

Post by 12thgraders »

hermantown2000 wrote:I know we are suffering the post state tournament blues but it is never too early to look at the contender. Here is my top ten for next year:
Class A:
1. Mahtomedi-Zeyphrs look like the early favorite. Will build on this years performance. Good chance they might be the ones the hoist trophy.
2.East Grand Forks-Can they three peat? Possibly but can they avoid players transferring or defections.
3.Hermantown-Will no. 7 be lucky this time? They are the big favorites in 7A but nothing isa slam dunk.
4. Breck- Love them or hate em, the traditional Class A private school.power is not going away soon.
5.St Cloud Apollo- Another year or two they could win this
6. New Prague
7.Delano- Tigers will be extra motivated to get that first trip to St.Paul after coming soo close
8. Hibbing
9.Orono
10. Denfeld-The state tournament drought will end someday.
Class AA
1. Lakeville North- Will take some loses but still has strong foundation for a couple of years.
2. Eden Prairie-Eagles have ambitions of winning the first state title in the post Rau era
3.Edina-Motivated by being upset in semis, good chance Giles has his Hornets back on top.
4.St. Thomas Academy- Despite an early exit the Cadets showed they could compete in AA.

5. Hill Murray
6. Elk River- Is next year when the Amsoil Arena/DECC curse is broken?
7. Benilde St. Margarets
8.Duluth East- Randolph did his best job coaching this year. Optimism is high for the Hounds in the next few years
9. Roseau
10.Wayzata
Where are East Grand Forks players going to transfer to? Grand Forks? Crookston? Two legitimate flight risks but all intel indicates both will return for their senior years. I think Thief River Falls re-establishes residence in the the top 10.

New Prague will have a much tougher road now that they have been moved to 2A with Breck, Delano, Orono, and Blake. I think it will be tough for them to stay in the top 10. I doubt 2A can keep 4 teams in the top 10.

Alex was the class of Section 6A during the season, how bad will losses be for them? Fergus? Cathedral reloading or finding the heart they lost after last year?

Where is Roseau going to get the talent to move back into the top 10 from they were this year? I have been hearing whispers for 2 years the powers that be in Roseau are considering a drop down to A. 8AA is between Bemidji and Moorhead for at least another year or two or maybe STMA after their move.
ted2you

EGF

Post by ted2you »

I think its interesting question if Tweten and Loven come back. Two state titles it would be easy to jump to the USHL. Both have strong community ties and I hope they stay. Its was hardly a secret that Bowen was going to relocate seven miles to the west, nor has there been any secret both are on Hakstal's radar. UND doesn't recruit a lot of HS underclassmen, but my opinion is that there will 5-6 more Green wave at UND.

Currently: Tucker Poolman
Gage Ausmus

Offered:Dixon Bowen

Likely: Colton Poolman
Tye Ausmus
Tanner Tweten
Grant Loven
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

jonandrews13 wrote:
DubCHAGuy wrote:Watch out for Jefferson as they move over to 3AA.
I hope so. Been too long since the Jags have been to State.
Read on YHH ... Jefferson is the only youth association with both the PWAA and BAA teams as state tourneys.

I never saw the PW's play, but I did see the bantams a couple times. A couple studs, but just a deep solid line-up with a goaile that can steal games as needed.

But then again, that's the description for most of D6 now that I think about it.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

R Poehling will be back for LN. Edquist should too. Enebak for sure. Max Johnson biggest question mark
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Sats81 wrote:R Poehling will be back for LN.
Seems like you're the guy who would know, but what if Ryan is asked to play for the USNTDP or is offered a tender by Green Bay? Are you sure he'd turn down both of those opportunities?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

The Exiled One wrote:
Sats81 wrote:R Poehling will be back for LN.
Seems like you're the guy who would know, but what if Ryan is asked to play for the USNTDP or is offered a tender by Green Bay? Are you sure he'd turn down both of those opportunities?
He will play at least another yr of HS hockey. Green Bay was very understanding/supportive of nick and jack wanting to stick around and play HS another yr. They will still have a solid team next yr. max staying is the X factor on how much success they will have in my opinion.
buttend

Post by buttend »

WestMetro wrote:My initial AA list for 2015-16 is as follows, at this point assumes no early departs except Wait, who is already announced:

Your top 5 AA teams next year are;

EP
Grand Rapids
Lakeville North
Prior Lake
Wayzata

Everything changes by next Sept when the list of kids to leave HS are finalized.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

I can confirm that Grand Rapids has built on last year by taking another step and making their schedule even tougher than it was last year. Their schedule is finalized, but their AD won't release it for a few weeks. Of course I tried to get a peek, but no go.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

1) EP

2) LN

3) Edina

4) STA

5) DE

6) GR

7) PL

8) BSM

9) ER

10) LS (IF Swainey returns-doubtful)
BP

Post by BP »

buttend wrote:
WestMetro wrote:My initial AA list for 2015-16 is as follows, at this point assumes no early departs except Wait, who is already announced:

EP
Grand Rapids
Lakeville North
Prior LakeWayzata

Everything changes by next Sept when the list of kids to leave HS are finalized.

Sounds like more than 2 PL guys will be leaving. Lots of unrest.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

BP wrote:
buttend wrote:

EP
Grand Rapids
Lakeville North
Prior LakeWayzata

Sounds like more than 2 PL guys will be leaving. Lots of unrest.
Any idea who?
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Sats81 wrote:R Poehling will be back for LN. Edquist should too. Enebak for sure. Max Johnson biggest question mark
Only way Edquist will be back is if he fails to make a USHL team. Why would the Gophers want him to play another Yr of HS HOCKEY? Congrats on 31-0...they earned it. That said, LN will be good next year...but your State Title run is over:)