Late hit by Sadek on Peterson after DE goal.

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

jdh

Late hit by Sadek on Peterson after DE goal.

Post by jdh »

I am wondering why the refs didn't get Sadek on that hit from behind on Peterson right after the DE goal?
Sk8 Str8

Post by Sk8 Str8 »

Because the Refs let North play like a Junior team this year--my observation from seeing a couple of regular season games. Also, in general we don't see double minors or majors in the state tourney--remeber the tourney the year Jablonski got hurt--they let a ton of contact go without penalties.
Hockeywatcher123

Re: Late hit by Sadek on Peterson after DE goal.

Post by Hockeywatcher123 »

jdh wrote:I am wondering why the refs didn't get Sadek on that hit from behind on Peterson right after the DE goal?
IMO that's a 50/50 call and seeing as it's the state championship I think it was a good decision not to make the call. I really didn't like how the whole place booed him after when he was on the screen
thespellchecker

Post by thespellchecker »

I think a cross check and a dive would have been a good call, 5 on 5.
8-TIME weekly & 2-Time Season Pick Em Champ
Puckguy19

Re: Late hit by Sadek on Peterson after DE goal.

Post by Puckguy19 »

Hockeywatcher123 wrote:
jdh wrote:I am wondering why the refs didn't get Sadek on that hit from behind on Peterson right after the DE goal?
IMO that's a 50/50 call and seeing as it's the state championship I think it was a good decision not to make the call. I really didn't like how the whole place booed him after when he was on the screen
From what I could see, it was a cross-check, and should have received a penalty. I would have said 2 minutes, and held off on the intent to injure. But it didn't show much class.
MissotaGopher14

Post by MissotaGopher14 »

Either its a no call or a cross check and 2 for embellishment.The East player fell over like someone shot him
nahc

Post by nahc »

In my opinion it probably should have been a penalty.... having said that, there is a ton of cross checking that goes on in front of the net on each and every power play and God forbid you are standing anywhere near a goaltender when he covers the puck....... and RARELY are those penalties called. You call those penalties at the beginning of the year and the activities get cleaned up real fast..........
Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone »

I agree. As soon as I saw the cross check (Sadek cutting the player in half), I thought to myself DE will have a PP. Didn't happen. Bummer!
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Should have been a penalty wasn't called.

There were several bad calls in Friday nights SF game with LN and EP. EP being the beneficiary of at least 3. Biggest one was Taylor Schneider beig boarded and EP player getting a 2 min minor for "holding". Really? 99 out of 100 refs call a 5 min major though.
Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone »

Sats81 wrote:Should have been a penalty wasn't called.

There were several bad calls in Friday nights SF game with LN and EP. EP being the beneficiary of at least 3. Biggest one was Taylor Schneider beig boarded and EP player getting a 2 min minor for "holding". Really? 99 out of 100 refs call a 5 min major though.
Totally agree!
SimplyPut

Post by SimplyPut »

There is no question about this one - it should have been a penalty. Take all things aside. That type of play is a penalty for Crosschecking. and if you listen to the most recent guidelines from the Official seminars it could have had a 10 min misconduct as its a defenseless play to the back of an opponent. Now weather the officials on the ice saw it the same way? who knows. No telling what went through the officials mind in that split second? Crosscheck? Dive? Did not see it, was looking at other players on ice to figure out Goal scorer / assists. Us in the stands have the ability to watch it a few times with instant replay, or we have an emotional tie since were cheering for a particular team. Majority of Lakeville fans, I'm guessing, did not think it was a penalty, Duluth fans, I guessing, thought it was.
whos_it

Post by whos_it »

NO doubt this was a penalty and nearly NO doubt that the beautiful hip thrown by Duluth after the LN player made the move around the Duluth player was NOT a penalty. I thought this crew did a VERY average job with this game but I wasn't down on the ice and they took the challenge and are doing it ...... SO THERE IS THAT!!!!
whos_it

Post by whos_it »

And for all of us saying things like "in that situation" the call is never made. Why do the officials get to decide when an infraction is an infraction? It's like a cop not giving a ticket for 6 MPH over or less. Oh, wait, they do that, don't they. If there is a rule against taking a hockey stick with both hands and striking a player with the stick, the call should be made. I don't believe the rule provides "situations" where the rule does not need to be followed.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Officials have their own rules whether it is a MSHSL offical or MN Hockey District officials.

Top level officials will even say so ... sometimes in public.
nahc

Post by nahc »

Totally agree though....... a penalty called in the first minute of the first game of the season should be called in the last minute of regulation in the State championship game....... a penalty is a penalty....... refs should not make a call or not based on the "situation"........ pull your big boy pants up and make the call.......
pats12

Post by pats12 »

whos_it wrote:And for all of us saying things like "in that situation" the call is never made. Why do the officials get to decide when an infraction is an infraction? It's like a cop not giving a ticket for 6 MPH over or less. Oh, wait, they do that, don't they. If there is a rule against taking a hockey stick with both hands and striking a player with the stick, the call should be made. I don't believe the rule provides "situations" where the rule does not need to be followed.
I agree with your thoughts. Every call is subject to whether or not an official wants to call it, and sometimes whether or not they saw it.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

You can't, as the MSHSL and NFHS, preach safety, safety, safety on one hand then decide once the the games are at the section or state tournament to throw the safety violations out the window because they don't want to influence the outcome of the game. The problem with that line of thinking is that by not calling a penalty you are also influencing the outcome of the game.

The hit by Sadek wasn't a grey area penalty, it should have been called. I'm not going to call it a dirty hit but it was clearly an unsafe act that deserved a penalty. In a 1A game a kid was hit square from behind that sent him into the boards at a 45 degree angle, neither referee saw it (the one closest to hit had to turn away to shield his face) and no penalty was called, after the whistle blew for the injured player, the 4 officials got together and ended up giving the kid a 2 minute penalty. My beef with the whole thing was clearly someone saw the infraction but by the rules that official can't make a call, if the MSHSL and the NFHS value safety then why can't the linesman make a call like that if he sees it? By waiting to make the call they looked like dopes and reacted to an injury. I'm not advocating letting linesmen call tripping or interference by any means, just why not safety fouls like checking from behind or a hit on a defenseless player? They may be at the best angle to make that call.
kpryan88

Post by kpryan88 »

I didn't see a Lakeville North game this season until i got to the X. I was hoping they weren't as chippy as they were when they got blown out of last years title game. Watching their 3 games at the X, i came away thinking, that has to be the worst team I've ever seen win a title. Their talent is unmatched and amazing. Their sportsmanship is godawful. Cheapshots after the whistle in all 3 games, one Poehling told a ref to"f#$k off", the crosscheck after the East goal was the cheapest shot I've seen since Todd Bertuzzi. I was hoping a team with that much talent would have a lot more class. Sadly, i was thoroughly disappointed.
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

I didn't get to follow as many games this year, but the Poehlings' reputation as whiners made it to my ears which probably says a lot. Seemed to be true to me.
Karma 29

Post by Karma 29 »

Bonin2121 wrote:I didn't get to follow as many games this year, but the Poehlings' reputation as whiners made it to my ears which probably says a lot. Seemed to be true to me.
Don't forget about Eigner.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

kpryan88 wrote:I didn't see a Lakeville North game this season until i got to the X. I was hoping they weren't as chippy as they were when they got blown out of last years title game. Watching their 3 games at the X, i came away thinking, that has to be the worst team I've ever seen win a title. Their talent is unmatched and amazing. Their sportsmanship is godawful. Cheapshots after the whistle in all 3 games, one Poehling told a ref to"f#$k off", the crosscheck after the East goal was the cheapest shot I've seen since Todd Bertuzzi. I was hoping a team with that much talent would have a lot more class. Sadly, i was thoroughly disappointed.
Ranks right down there with the performance of their adult fans and student section. An Undefeated season doesn't buy class.
ref101

Post by ref101 »

goldy313 wrote:You can't, as the MSHSL and NFHS, preach safety, safety, safety on one hand then decide once the the games are at the section or state tournament to throw the safety violations out the window because they don't want to influence the outcome of the game. The problem with that line of thinking is that by not calling a penalty you are also influencing the outcome of the game.

The hit by Sadek wasn't a grey area penalty, it should have been called. I'm not going to call it a dirty hit but it was clearly an unsafe act that deserved a penalty. In a 1A game a kid was hit square from behind that sent him into the boards at a 45 degree angle, neither referee saw it (the one closest to hit had to turn away to shield his face) and no penalty was called, after the whistle blew for the injured player, the 4 officials got together and ended up giving the kid a 2 minute penalty. My beef with the whole thing was clearly someone saw the infraction but by the rules that official can't make a call, if the MSHSL and the NFHS value safety then why can't the linesman make a call like that if he sees it? By waiting to make the call they looked like dopes and reacted to an injury. I'm not advocating letting linesmen call tripping or interference by any means, just why not safety fouls like checking from behind or a hit on a defenseless player? They may be at the best angle to make that call.
The Linseman can make that call, it just needs to be reported through one of the Referee's.....
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

kpryan88 wrote:I didn't see a Lakeville North game this season until i got to the X. I was hoping they weren't as chippy as they were when they got blown out of last years title game. Watching their 3 games at the X, i came away thinking, that has to be the worst team I've ever seen win a title. Their talent is unmatched and amazing. Their sportsmanship is godawful. Cheapshots after the whistle in all 3 games, one Poehling told a ref to"f#$k off", the crosscheck after the East goal was the cheapest shot I've seen since Todd Bertuzzi. I was hoping a team with that much talent would have a lot more class. Sadly, i was thoroughly disappointed.
Are the Poehling brothers still planning on playing a couple of weeks at Green Bay this Spring? I'm very curious how their combination of unmatched amazing talent and "godawful" sportsmanship is received at the USHL level...particularly when the Gamblers play teams like Lincoln later this month and share ice with enforcers like this guy:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/20296
Two minutes for...embellishment (ding!)
nahc

Post by nahc »

Bluewhitefan: Curious concerning your dissing of the North student section and parents. I sat amongst North parents at each game and am not sure where your comments are coming from. Same for the North student section....... they were loud and really supported their team..... Some concrete examples would be appreciated.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

almostashappy wrote:Are the Poehling brothers still planning on playing a couple of weeks at Green Bay this Spring? I'm very curious how their combination of unmatched amazing talent and "godawful" sportsmanship is received at the USHL level...particularly when the Gamblers play teams like Lincoln later this month and share ice with enforcers like this guy:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/20296
Maybe they'll get initiated early, but they're pretty scrappy and at least they'll have each other for back-up. I'd worry more about Sadek at Omaha. God help that string bean if he cross checks somebody after the whistle.