Grand Rapids 15-16 Off-season

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheHockeyDJ

Grand Rapids 15-16 Off-season

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Grand Rapids will release their schedule in the next few weeks. I did learn that they will have last years schedule with all the top teams in it, plus they have added Benilde-St. Margarets, Minnetonka, and Holy Family. I think it's at the point now a person will look like a fool trying to say Rapids plays a weak schedule. They now have one loaded with top metro class AA teams. Also, their bantam team plays in the state tournament at the Heritage Center in Duluth Friday morning vs top ranked Centennial. I'm hoping Minnesota Hockey provides a video stream of the tournament.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Sats81

Re: Grand Rapids 15-16 Off-season

Post by Sats81 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Grand Rapids will release their schedule in the next few weeks. I did learn that they will have last years schedule with all the top teams in it, plus they have added Benilde-St. Margarets, Minnetonka, and Holy Family. I think it's at the point now a person will look like a fool trying to say Rapids plays a weak schedule. They now have one loaded with top metro class AA teams. Also, their bantam team plays in the state tournament at the Heritage Center in Duluth Friday morning vs top ranked Centennial. I'm hoping Minnesota Hockey provides a video stream of the tournament.
who is favored to win bantam state?
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

Sats81 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:Grand Rapids will release their schedule in the next few weeks. I did learn that they will have last years schedule with all the top teams in it, plus they have added Benilde-St. Margarets, Minnetonka, and Holy Family. I think it's at the point now a person will look like a fool trying to say Rapids plays a weak schedule. They now have one loaded with top metro class AA teams. Also, their bantam team plays in the state tournament at the Heritage Center in Duluth Friday morning vs top ranked Centennial. I'm hoping Minnesota Hockey provides a video stream of the tournament.
Hermantown is favored to get 2nd.
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
Wrong tourney OGEE ... Grand Rapids is i the AA tourney.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

DrGaf wrote:
OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:
Sats81 wrote: who is favored to win bantam state?
I think OGEE knows that, was just taking a humorous low blow at Hermantown.
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
DrGaf wrote:
OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote: Hermantown is favored to get 2nd.
+1 :D
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
DrGaf wrote: Wrong tourney OGEE ... Grand Rapids is i the AA tourney.
+1 :D
I knew that too ... I also was taking a 2nd layered shot at Hermantown.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Hermantown plays AA at all the youth levels.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Centennial is the favorite in the AA Bantam tourney.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

alcloseshaver wrote:Centennial is the favorite in the AA Bantam tourney.
Anyone would be favored getting calls like they did, refs are their 4th line.
oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster »

Minnetonka just beat Centennial in the semi's 2-1. Tonka headed to the "ship"
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Rapids wins the consolation title after beating Wayzata and Osseo-Maple grove. VFW tourney next.

Gavin Hain, a second year bantam player, is one of five players nominated for the Youth Hockey Hub player of the year. I think it said he had 67 goals this season. Micah miller was also a nominee last year from GR. Very excited to see him suit up for varsity next season.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
green4

Post by green4 »

north_bear wrote:Rapids wins the consolation title after beating Wayzata and Osseo-Maple grove. VFW tourney next.

Gavin Hain, a second year bantam player, is one of five players nominated for the Youth Hockey Hub player of the year. I think it said he had 67 goals this season. Micah miller was also a nominee last year from GR. Very excited to see him suit up for varsity next season.
I thought I saw a tweet that said Hain won bantam of the year
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

green4 wrote:
north_bear wrote:Rapids wins the consolation title after beating Wayzata and Osseo-Maple grove. VFW tourney next.

I've been hearing about him for a few years now and there was a really nice write up about him the youth hockey hub and the other 4 candidates for player of the year. He obviously has a lot skill scoring 67 goals, but what stood out to me is how the article raved about his work ethic and relentless effort on the ice. At the varsity level Rapids returns all their forwards and the top 3 lines were so good at the end of the year it's hard to imagine breaking any of the synergy up. Maybe of 4th line of Hain, Brazerol, McGlaughlin? There is some room at defense, so there might be some that will move back to D to make the team.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
green4 wrote:

I've been hearing about him for a few years now and there was a really nice write up about him the youth hockey hub and the other 4 candidates for player of the year. He obviously has a lot skill scoring 67 goals, but what stood out to me is how the article raved about his work ethic and relentless effort on the ice. At the varsity level Rapids returns all their forwards and the top 3 lines were so good at the end of the year it's hard to imagine breaking any of the synergy up. Maybe of 4th line of Hain, Brazerol, McGlaughlin? There is some room at defense, so there might be some that will move back to D to make the team.
Will those 3 be sophmores?
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

alcloseshaver wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
green4 wrote: I thought I saw a tweet that said Hain won bantam of the year
Will those 3 be sophmores?
I think they were all 2nd year bantams, not 100% sure if all sophomores next year.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

The good news is they return most of their players and have a potential influx of talent.
The bad news is this group lost 11 games and like ER could not beat East when it mattered most.
I do like how they have upgraded their schedule and travel to the metro to play teams. Should be a very entertaining year next season.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

alcloseshaver wrote:The good news is they return most of their players and have a potential influx of talent.
The bad news is this group lost 11 games and like ER could not beat East when it mattered most.
I do like how they have upgraded their schedule and travel to the metro to play teams. Should be a very entertaining year next season.
They lost 11 games as a very young team and with a lot of inconsistent play at the goalie position. Lakeville North was the only team that could beat Duluth East when it mattered, so what is your point? I do think Sam Gerth played very well at the end of the year, and the loss to East wasn't on him. There were some defensive breakdowns, not many, but East scored when it did happen. At any level (look at the Wild), it is difficult to win and play well when there is no confidence in the goalie. That's where Rapids was in part during an 8 game losing streak. That said they were playing the likes of Edina, EP, and Lakeville North. The only loss in that stretch that was a head scratcher was at Cloquet, however that was just after playing 3 tough games in Edina.

As for the rest of the section, Duluth East just took 2nd at state with a very young team. Logically they should be expected to be even better next year. With Elk River, I really feel bad for them, this should of been their year. I know their bantam teams have been top 10 in recent seasons, but I don't see how they replace Lutz and Jaremko. This isn't a stab at ER, but I just don't see them as a top 3 seed next year. I think the top 3 are East, Marshall, and Rapids. ER will battle with CEC for the 4/5 spots.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

ER will be there for a top 3 seed. What will Marshall's schedule look like? And are they expected to compete with the top 3 right away as they transition to AA?
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

Defensive breakdowns? The weak side got caught sleeping on the second goal but the first and third goals were both wrist shots from a distance and should have been saved by Gerth. The problem in the East game is that Rapids did not bury the puck with the numerous chances that they had. But they were sure good at hitting Howg's glove. 8)
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

alcloseshaver wrote:ER will be there for a top 3 seed. What will Marshall's schedule look like? And are they expected to compete with the top 3 right away as they transition to AA?
You seriously think AA and A matter? Marshall is a good hockey team, period. By your thinking, East Grand Forks would be an underdog vs St. Francis because they would be an A team playing an AA team?
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

If it didn't matter why is Rapids playing less A schools? Top A teams can compete, no question. Just used The expression that they are transitioning to full time AA.
Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

hadenuf wrote:Defensive breakdowns? The weak side got caught sleeping on the second goal but the first and third goals were both wrist shots from a distance and should have been saved by Gerth. The problem in the East game is that Rapids did not bury the puck with the numerous chances that they had. But they were sure good at hitting Howg's glove. 8)
First one actually bounced off of his D who was standing in front of net and went in the opposite direction. Nothing he could do with that one. 2nd one was D break down. 3rd one was all the goalie's fault. GR actually missed a few open nets in the 3rd period so all of them were not into the goalie's glove.
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

Yes the first one hit the d-man in the hip but he was on the shooter so the goalie still had time after the deflection. I agree on the offense, Rapids should have scored multiple goals in the 3rd.
Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:The good news is they return most of their players and have a potential influx of talent.
They lost 11 games as a very young team and with a lot of inconsistent play at the goalie position. Lakeville North was the only team that could beat Duluth East when it mattered, so what is your point? I do think Sam Gerth played very well at the end of the year, and the loss to East wasn't on him. There were some defensive breakdowns, not many, but East scored when it did happen. At any level (look at the Wild), it is difficult to win and play well when there is no confidence in the goalie. That's where Rapids was in part during an 8 game losing streak. That said they were playing the likes of Edina, EP, and Lakeville North. The only loss in that stretch that was a head scratcher was at Cloquet, however that was just after playing 3 tough games in Edina.

As for the rest of the section, Duluth East just took 2nd at state with a very young team. Logically they should be expected to be even better next year. With Elk River, I really feel bad for them, this should of been their year. I know their bantam teams have been top 10 in recent seasons, but I don't see how they replace Lutz and Jaremko. This isn't a stab at ER, but I just don't see them as a top 3 seed next year. I think the top 3 are East, Marshall, and Rapids. ER will battle with CEC for the 4/5 spots.
Wasn't that 8 game slide (or part of it) when Rapids was not shooting the puck and people were on here talking about how they were trying for one last pass rather than shooting it? I did not watch very many of the Rapids games this year but did manage to make a few of them and I don't think that getting out shot by the other teams by wide margins is a sign of a lack of confidence in a goalie, more like lines that needed to be fixed or skaters who needed to be reminded that they need to shoot the puck. I get that the D has issues and that the goalie had a couple of crazy games but for the most part I did not really see too much from the scoring end of things for a few of the games that I saw. Go back and look at the games on their web site (I had to ) and I did not see any games where they got beaten after out shooting a team which I usually associate with a really bad goalie performance.