Lakeville North vs Midget 18 AAA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheHockeyDJ

Lakeville North vs Midget 18 AAA

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:28 pm

How do you think Lakeville North would do if they were in the national 18 AAA tournament?
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

The Exiled One

Re: Lakeville North vs Midget 18 AAA

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:40 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:How do you think Lakeville North would do if they were in the national 18 AAA tournament?
They would do well, but I don't think they'd beat Shattuck. There are a few reasons for this; One, Shattuck is deeper top to bottom. LVN has two scoring lines, SSM has four. Two, SSM is older on average. They are about 50% seniors and only have three sophomores and no freshmen.

Sure, LVN could maybe beat a weaker SSM team from the recent past or even this SSM team once every six games, but I don't think they'd win in a series. Otherwise, I think they could beat just about every team in the national Tier 1 tournament.

FYI, this is completely the opposite of how I felt about Edina's team last year. SSM was good but not as good as this year's team. Last year's Edina team was very strong.
Last edited by The Exiled One on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bemused

Post by bemused » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:42 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:How do you think Lakeville North would do if they were in the national 18 AAA tournament?
They would do well, but I don't think they'd beat Shattuck. There are a few reasons for this; One, Shattuck is deeper top to bottom. LVN has two scoring lines, SSM has four. Two, SSM is older on average. They are about 50% seniors and only have three sophomores and no freshmen.

Sure, LVN could maybe be a weaker SSM team from the recent past or even this SSM team once every six games, but I don't think they'd win in a series. Otherwise, I think they could beat just about every team in the national Tier 1 tournament.

FYI, this is completely the opposite of how I felt about Edina's team last year. SSM was good but not as good as this year's team. Last year's Edina team was very strong.

I can't wait for the incoming on this one...

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:45 pm

bemused wrote:I can't wait for the incoming on this one...
Totally expected! I took a lot of crap about favoring Edina last year. Funny thing is, I was pulling for LVN this entire season (because I'm an SCSU fan) and I have no particular love for Edina. Just my honest opinions!

green4

Post by green4 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:47 pm

I know this is a little different but the Edina peewee AA team went to Michigan to play the best AAA teams at that level. It was an extremely talented group who will be freshmen this upcoming season.

Here is the Link: http://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_arti ... _id=967187

I believe Edina lost to Honeybaked 2-1 in OT but outshot them by like 20 and then beat the other two teams.

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:52 pm

The annual emergence of these kinds of threads is a welcomed sign that Spring is, if not already here, certainly on the way. \:D/
Two minutes for...embellishment (ding!)

imlisteningtothefnsong

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:07 pm

almostashappy wrote:
The annual emergence of these kinds of threads is a welcomed sign that Spring is, if not already here, certainly on the way. \:D/
Amen, still waiting for the, "well, if my Aunt had balls, she would be my Uncle!" So many imaginary scenarios.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:14 pm

green4 wrote:I know this is a little different but the Edina peewee AA team went to Michigan to play the best AAA teams at that level. It was an extremely talented group who will be freshmen this upcoming season.

I believe Edina lost to Honeybaked 2-1 in OT but outshot them by like 20 and then beat the other two teams.
Looks like an awesome trip and they repped the State of Hockey well. Love seeing them beat Michigan all-star teams.

nahc

Post by nahc » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:27 pm

green4: the link that was provided references an article from 2013..... Did the Pee Wee's go again this year?

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:37 pm

Is this the year Minnesota is supposed to have some after HS season AAA teams compete for the national title?

green4

Post by green4 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:56 pm

nahc wrote:green4: the link that was provided references an article from 2013..... Did the Pee Wee's go again this year?
I only knew about the 2013 kids because many of the players had older siblings who I graduated with and some of them mentioned it to me. I don't follow youth hockey really, but I typed in Edina vs. Honeybaked into google and found out they went last year as well going 4-0-1 against teams from across the country.
http://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_arti ... -rock-city

I did not find anything for this year however.

57special

Post by 57special » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:22 pm

The kids from the Edina program have already started to scatter. One is at Shattuck, a couple of others at privates. By the time they reach Varsity age others will go, too.

green4

Post by green4 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:51 pm

57special wrote:The kids from the Edina program have already started to scatter. One is at Shattuck, a couple of others at privates. By the time they reach Varsity age others will go, too.
Not much different then it is now. Edina has kids who leave early for ushl, and currently one who would have been a senior in the Whl. They have Mishmash at Shattuck. About 1/3rd the Benilde team is from Edina, including 3 of their 4 captains. Snow, the STA goaltender is from Edina and I'm guessing one or two more for the cadets. Holy Angels best player is from Edina, I would guess there might be one or two at Breck and Blake too.
So really, it won't be a huge change to what they have now.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:23 pm

An embarrassment of riches! Leaves little doubt about the number and quality of kids out of Edina. Love them or hate them there is no denying its by far the best youth program in the state.

Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:40 pm

Really? think the lvn team can beat the Wilds! Could wait to see that game.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:51 pm

Mnhockeys wrote:
Really? think the lvn team can beat the Wilds! Could wait to see that game.
The "Wilds"? What AAA team is that?

Iceburg

Post by Iceburg » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:18 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Is this the year Minnesota is supposed to have some after HS season AAA teams compete for the national title?
http://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_arti ... _id=967184

Cadets16

Post by Cadets16 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:06 pm

Didn't STA beat a Shattuck team in '13? Or was that one of their lower tier teams?

bauerman

Post by bauerman » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:31 am

The Exiled One had it exactly right LN would do very well in AAA Midget MOST of the time Schattuck would beat them because of age and depth but not always, STA did beat the Prep team a couple of years ago. We should be very proud of our hockey system in minnesota we produce very good local teams ans develop more good players than any other state. The Schattuck comparisons though fun are apples to oranges

fastncrash

Post by fastncrash » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:21 am

green4 wrote:I know this is a little different but the Edina peewee AA team went to Michigan to play the best AAA teams at that level. It was an extremely talented group who will be freshmen this upcoming season.

IF you want to be entirely fair... 80% of the Edina squad would be too old to play for the Honeybaked, or other, teams... 6 month swing in allowed ages there... but still nice to see that they match-up well.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:29 am

fastncrash wrote:

IF you want to be entirely fair... 80% of the Edina squad would be too old to play for the Honeybaked, or other, teams... 6 month swing in allowed ages there... but still nice to see that they match-up well.
But, to be entirely fair: Edina population 50,000. Detroit population 5 million?

fastncrash

Post by fastncrash » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:31 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
fastncrash wrote:

But, to be entirely fair: Edina population 50,000. Detroit population 5 million?
And your trying to "Sell" me that Edina is the ONLY place they get players from? :roll:

AND, Detroit has 5-7 Tier 1 programs it fees..

green4

Post by green4 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:45 am

fastncrash wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
fastncrash wrote:

And your trying to "Sell" me that Edina is the ONLY place they get players from? :roll:

AND, Detroit has 5-7 Tier 1 programs it fees..
Oh, so 50,000 plus a few move ins that are 6 months older vs. A team that pulls from 700,000 to 1 million people.
Glad you are trying to make something out of nothing, I never mentioned if it was a fair comparison or not, I simply provided a similar story to the original topic and added the link.

Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:10 pm

fastncrash wrote:IF you want to be entirely fair... 80% of the Edina squad would be too old to play for the Honeybaked, or other, teams... 6 month swing in allowed ages there... but still nice to see that they match-up well.
This argument was brought up at great length two years ago when they actually went on the trip. Do we have to rehash it here? Oh, and I don't claim to know, but 80% feels like a bit of an exaggeration, not that it matters. It was simply brought up as an example in which MN kids were able to compete at a very high level, despite the difference in models.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:21 pm

fastncrash wrote:IF you want to be entirely fair... 80% of the Edina squad would be too old to play for the Honeybaked, or other, teams... 6 month swing in allowed ages there... but still nice to see that they match-up well.
Can you clarify the rule on that? I noticed Shattuck Prep has a player who'll be 19 in June. Is he ineligible for the Tier 1 tournament? Ryan Norman will be 19 in October which is older than McNeely and Sadek. The Poehling twins will be 19 in late August.

EDIT: Never mind, I see you're referring to pee-wees, not HS/Midget.
Last edited by The Exiled One on Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.