7AA banter between everybody else not GR or DE

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

7AA banter between everybody else not GR or DE

Post by kniven » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:09 pm

Yea. Needed to separate DE and GR and every body else threads for 7 AA. I like to read insight from fans on other section 7AA teams not just East and Grand Rapids.

Elk River
CEC
Andover
Duluth Marshall
Forest Lake
St. Francis
C/I

This is a long-term thread to dump thoughts, etc. about these 7AA teams. DE and GR have their own. A place to dump info, thoughts, and gossip during the off-season.
Last edited by kniven on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:19 pm

Are you including Marshall?

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:01 pm

alcloseshaver wrote:Are you including Marshall?
Oops. Yes of course. I think having Duluth Marshal in 7AA is going to add a lot of excitement for sure.

kniven

Re: 7AA banter between everybody else not GR or DE

Post by kniven » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:41 pm

kniven wrote:Yea. Needed to separate DE and GR and every body else threads for 7 AA. I like to read insight from fans on other section 7AA teams not just East and Grand Rapids.

Elk River
CEC
Andover
Duluth Marshall
Forest Lake
St. Francis
C/I

This is a long-term thread to dump thoughts, etc. about these 7AA teams. DE and GR have their own. A place to dump info, thoughts, and gossip during the off-season.
I'm really curious about Elk River, Andover, and Forest Lake. Any cities feedback would be appreciated about these 3 squads.

sanryam

Post by sanryam » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:23 pm

Looks like Matt Kiersted will officially not be back with the Elks his senior year.

http://erstarnews.com/2015/03/21/athlet ... ming-high/

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:42 pm

sanryam wrote:Looks like Matt Kiersted will officially not be back with the Elks his senior year.

http://erstarnews.com/2015/03/21/athlet ... ming-high/
That stings. Best of luck to him.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:25 pm

Kiersted made it clear that it would his goal to make this his last year of HS hockey after he was taken by Chicago with their 1st pick. Still has to make the team next year though.

woodstickguy

Post by woodstickguy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:58 am

I am going to miss the banter that section 7 generates but can't say I'm too disappointed moving to section 8 next year - not that it gets any easier. Section 7 is a true meat grinder with some high quality players and coaches. Good luck to all of the teams next year and it was a pleasure watching the kids battle it out this past season.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:59 am

woodstickguy wrote:I am going to miss the banter that section 7 generates but can't say I'm too disappointed moving to section 8 next year - not that it gets any easier. Section 7 is a true meat grinder with some high quality players and coaches. Good luck to all of the teams next year and it was a pleasure watching the kids battle it out this past season.
Best of luck to your boys too. Mix things up in section 8AA. Your boys were just starting to lick your chops and throw a big wrench in things for the next several years and beyond. Let 8AA deal with your boys now.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:31 am

woodstickguy wrote:I am going to miss the banter that section 7 generates but can't say I'm too disappointed moving to section 8 next year - not that it gets any easier. Section 7 is a true meat grinder with some high quality players and coaches. Good luck to all of the teams next year and it was a pleasure watching the kids battle it out this past season.
I would say it gets a lot easier. In 8AA there are never any tough games in the quarterfinals. Rarely a tough game in the semi-finals. STMA, Bemidji, Moorhead are the only teams that will compete. None of those teams are Duluth East, Marshall, or Rapids next year. It's almost like the easy path Edina has had all these years in 2AA.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

Traxler

Post by Traxler » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:55 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
I would say it gets a lot easier. In 8AA there are never any tough games in the quarterfinals. Rarely a tough game in the semi-finals. STMA, Bemidji, Moorhead are the only teams that will compete. None of those teams are Duluth East, Marshall, or Rapids next year. It's almost like the easy path Edina has had all these years in 2AA.
I agree that it's a lot easier, but it still won't be easy for STMA. They'll be lucky to get a 4 seed each year and will lose in the semifinals to whoever they face.

green4

Post by green4 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:12 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
It's almost like the easy path Edina has had all these years in 2AA.
One down season for 2AA and everyone claims Edina has a free pass to state. Compared against 6AA, Even this year when it was down, Burnsville beat EP, BSM and tied Wayzata while Prior Lake beat Minnetonka so it's not like their is no competition.
2AA is usually one of the strongest sections each year. Even this year I would put them in the top half for sections. I would say it was better than 1,3,4,5 and 8

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:02 am

Kiersted was my Reed Larson winner for next year.

Input on the most likely next top 5 Dmen candidates?

bemused

Post by bemused » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:33 pm

WestMetro wrote:Kiersted was my Reed Larson winner for next year.

Input on the most likely next top 5 Dmen candidates?
wait for it..here comes the H.S plug...

Just Checking

Post by Just Checking » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:26 pm

green4 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
One down season for 2AA and everyone claims Edina has a free pass to state. Compared against 6AA, Even this year when it was down, Burnsville beat EP, BSM and tied Wayzata while Prior Lake beat Minnetonka so it's not like their is no competition.
2AA is usually one of the strongest sections each year. Even this year I would put them in the top half for sections. I would say it was better than 1,3,4,5 and 8
2AA also only had 7 teams so that also must be factored in. It may not have been a free pass for Edina but it was close.

green4

Post by green4 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:51 pm

Just Checking wrote:
green4 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
2AA also only had 7 teams so that also must be factored in. It may not have been a free pass for Edina but it was close.
Solid argument, having that first round bye instead of playing Kennedy like they use to has really made their path to state so much easier :roll:

I don't know how anyone can say 2AA has been "not a free pass for Edina but it was close"
Edina is good, that is why they win it most years, similar to why East wins 7AA every year.
Burnsville was a top 7 team in 2014 and has been top 10 most years. Over this stretch where Edina has gone to state, if Burnsville was in another section they probably would have 2 or 3 state trips. Over that same period I believe Jefferson had 1 or 2 teams that were ranked top 5.

Just Checking, aren't you a STA guy? If so, I wouldn't talk too much, STA had the closest thing to a free pass this year and barely beat Eastview in the final. Not to mention you now have Burnsville and Jefferson in section 3AA as probably the biggest competition in that section so you have given me a reason to complain whenever the Cadets make state that their section is "not a free pass for St. Thomas but it was close". But, you have also given me a reason to call STA chokers if they don't make it to state each year now since they play in this new weak section.