Lakeville North vs Kentucky Wildcats

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hermantown2000

Lakeville North vs Kentucky Wildcats

Post by hermantown2000 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:24 pm

Who's unbeaten season is more mpressive: Lakeville North hockey or Kentucky Wildcats basketball ( if they can run the table in the NCAA tournament). I know it is two different sports but who would you be more impressed by. For me, it is a tough call because both teams have or had outstanding and very skilled players (The Poehlings and Kentuckys Harrison).
Last edited by hermantown2000 on Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:33 pm

I'm going with Grand Rapids 3rd period against East !

hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:00 pm

The answer is obviously Kentucky and there really is no debate or discussion to be had.

hadenuf

Post by hadenuf » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:34 pm

mulefarm wrote:I'm going with Grand Rapids 3rd period against East !

YES! I GOTS TO HAVE MORE GR HOCKEY TALK.

tezer13

Post by tezer13 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:16 pm

I would go Lakeville.

Both play the best their sport has to offer.

Both have great teams.

The difference is (and the first reason) that Kentucky picks its players, Lakeville gets what they get. If Kentucky has a hole at Center they go after the best centers in the country and Kentucky likely gets one. Actually almost assuredly, the best 5 or so programs in College Basketball and Football almost invariably get the cream of the crop. Go to ESPN and see their recruiting classes. It's hard to lose when you get the best players at every position.

The 2nd reason is that it is much easier to build a dominant basketball team then a hockey one. When you can play your best 5 players 80+% of the time you are much more likely to dominate. As everyone here knows you can't do that with hockey.[/u][/i]

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:16 am

Lakeville gets what they get.
That should garner a few responses.

team22tank

Post by team22tank » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:30 am

tezer13 wrote:I would go Lakeville.

Both have great teams.

The difference is (and the first reason) that Kentucky picks its players, Lakeville gets what they get. If Kentucky has a hole at Center they go after the best centers in the country and Kentucky likely gets one. Actually almost assuredly, the best 5 or so programs in College Basketball and Football almost invariably get the cream of the crop. Go to ESPN and see their recruiting classes. It's hard to lose when you get the best players at every position.

The 2nd reason is that it is much easier to build a dominant basketball team then a hockey one. When you can play your best 5 players 80+% of the time you are much more likely to dominate. As everyone here knows you can't do that with hockey.[/u][/i]
If Lakeville North has a hole at oh I don't know say goalie, they go out and get one, the best in the country. Two years in a row! :lol:

Plus the South Suburban was weak this year, that is 18 of their games.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

team22tank wrote:

Both have great teams.

If Lakeville North has a hole at oh I don't know say goalie, they go out and get one, the best in the country. Two years in a row! :lol:

They'll have to settle for 3rd best, they can't get Stejskal or Holum off the GR Bantam team. :lol:
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:18 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
team22tank wrote:

Both have great teams.

They'll have to settle for 3rd best, they can't get Stejskal or Holum off the GR Bantam team. :lol:
With all due respect, neither is close to Ryan Edquist.

team22tank

Post by team22tank » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:34 am

Sats81 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
team22tank wrote:

Both have great teams.

I think he is talking about the future, as soon as next year & what LN has in the pipe! I don't think anyone expects Edquist to be at LN next season.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:43 am

team22tank wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
team22tank wrote:

Both have great teams.

I think he is talking about the future, as soon as next year & what LN has in the pipe! I don't think anyone expects Edquist to be at LN next season.
Hate to burst your bubble and any else who has those thoughts, but he is going to be.

hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:55 am

Did someone leave a vacuum cleaner on?

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:02 pm

tezer13 wrote:When you can play your best 5 players 80+% of the time you are much more likely to dominate. As everyone here knows you can't do that with hockey.

Once you get beyond in-house community basketball teams, there are relatively few basketball teams that don't play their best 5 players more than most of the time. But if you want to focus on NCAAB, six players on this year's Gopher MBB team played 81% of the available minutes. Top 5 (in terms of playing time) ate up 69%. And I don't think that anyone could claim that the Gophers dominated men's basketball this year.

As for high school hockey, while "everyone knows" that your top line and top d-pair can't be on the ice 80% of the time, there are certainly some noteworthy teams whose benches were far shorter than others this past season.

(sits back and waits for sats to read what he wants to into that last statement) :wink:
Two minutes for...embellishment (ding!)

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:23 pm

Sats81 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
team22tank wrote:

Both have great teams.

I think Stejskal was the player of the year in Bantams last season. So I'd say he is close. Kid is 6'4" and takes up a lot of net and is positionally sound.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

green4

Post by green4 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:37 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
team22tank wrote:

Both have great teams.

I think Stejskal was the player of the year in Bantams last season. So I'd say he is close. Kid is 6'4" and takes up a lot of net and is positionally sound.
Middlestedt was player of the year last year.
And I have never seen this goalie play, but if he is close to as good as Edquist then he would have been the 2nd best goaltender in the state as a freshman who has never played a varsity game. Nobody was anywhere close to as good as Edquist this year and No offense, but I doubt a bantam is that close to him

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:58 pm

green4 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
team22tank wrote:

Both have great teams.

Middlestedt was player of the year last year.
And I have never seen this goalie play, but if he is close to as good as Edquist then he would have been the 2nd best goaltender in the state as a freshman who has never played a varsity game. Nobody was anywhere close to as good as Edquist this year and No offense, but I doubt a bantam is that close to him
Well said.

nahc

Post by nahc » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:29 pm

Totally agree......... Edquist was the best in the State this year........

bemused

Post by bemused » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:44 pm

nahc wrote:Totally agree......... Edquist was the best in the State this year........
and will be playing in the NA at least and maybe the USHL next year..

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:47 pm

bemused wrote:
nahc wrote:Totally agree......... Edquist was the best in the State this year........
Thanks so much for the "insider info" lol.

Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:57 pm

Sats81 wrote:
bemused wrote:
NA I guess that was a shot eh?

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:00 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
team22tank wrote:

Both have great teams.

Here we go again..... and DE and Rapids will be ranked #1 and #2 when they play each other next year. #-o

bemused

Post by bemused » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:27 pm

Whiner33 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
bemused wrote:
No…no shot at all. I think he is very good and should move up to see better shots.. Not aware of many goalies who have been able to play in the USHL consistently right away in their senior year..I think the older Lindgren did it after leaving Lakeville South a few years ago..possible he starts the year in the NA and gets a quick call up..or he goes USHL right away..at any rate he won't be in Lakeville next year..

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:53 pm

bemused wrote:
Whiner33 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
bemused wrote:
No…no shot at all. I think he is very good and should move up to see better shots.. Not aware of many goalies who have been able to play in the USHL consistently right away in their senior year..I think the older Lindgren did it after leaving Lakeville South a few years ago..possible he starts the year in the NA and gets a quick call up..or he goes USHL right away..at any rate he won't be in Lakeville next year..
Kind of like 15 months ago when I told you this LN team had 7+ D1 hockey players and you told me I was nuts? (Forgot you are a professional scout)

You say it so confidently as if a fact. Anything you say should be taken with MORE than a grain of salt as you have certainly proved that time and time again. By the way, Charlie Lindgren played at LN not South.

ilovemesomehockey

Post by ilovemesomehockey » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:57 pm

Sats81 wrote:
bemused wrote:
Whiner33 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
bemused wrote:
Kind of like 15 months ago when I told you this LN team had 7+ D1 hockey players and you told me I was nuts? (Forgot you are a professional scout)

You say it so confidently as if a fact. Anything you say should be taken with MORE than a grain of salt as you have certainly proved that time and time again. By the way, Charlie Lindgren played at LN not South.
He has shown a propensity for moving on and there is a trend for good goalies leaving early. Imho...hes gone...what more does he have to prove at LN?

green4

Post by green4 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:24 pm

ilovemesomehockey wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
bemused wrote:
Whiner33 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
bemused wrote:

He has shown a propensity for moving on and there is a trend for good goalies leaving early. Imho...hes gone...what more does he have to prove at LN?
Imho... He stays.... What more does he have to prove at all? He has a scholarship to play for the gophers, he played at SSM and was considered one of the best goaltenders in the country for his age group. Why does he need to prove himself anymore in juniors? Has he not proven he is the real deal already?