Mr. Hockey 2016

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Nuts&Bolts
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:12 pm

Post by Nuts&Bolts » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:00 am

No DJ GR won't have 3 in the running for Mr. Hockey if that's your angle. Actually you can probably start trimming the overall list a bit based on 'Elite' league performance though along with Benders departure. If it's any consolation the Section 7AA favorites won't have 3 in the running either. 8)

TheHockeyDJ
Posts: 2245
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:41 am
Location: Orange County, California
Contact:

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:02 am

Nuts&Bolts wrote:No DJ GR won't have 3 in the running for Mr. Hockey if that's your angle. Actually you can probably start trimming the overall list a bit based on 'Elite' league performance though along with Benders departure. If it's any consolation the Section 7AA favorites won't have 3 in the running either. 8)
You took what I said out of context. Mattson will be in the running. Adams might surprise some people if you look at Elite perfromance. Graham of EP is probably the most likely to win it.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

Vapor
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:22 pm

Post by Vapor » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:14 pm

Heard both Tufte & Graham leaving Fargo. Both have potential to win it.

The Exiled One
Posts: 1715
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 am

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:02 pm

Wyatt Aamodt, Hermantown
Ash Altmann, Duluth East
Jonah Bischoff, Grand Rapids
Jackson Cates, Stillwater
Shay Donovan, Duluth East
Casey Dornbach, Edina
Luke Dow, Duluth East
Chase Ellingson, Breck
Will Garin, Holy Family
Michael Graham, EP
Tyler Jette, Farmington
Max Johnson, LVN
Grant Loven, EGF
Mitch Mattson, Grand Rapids
Luke Notermann, Blaine
Zach Risteau, BSM
John Siebenaler, Farmington
Brendan Skarda, Minnetonka
Jason Smallidge, STA
Chaz Smedsrud, Luverne
Casey Staum, Hill-Murray
Riley Tufte, Blaine
Tanner Tweeten, EGF

Big news that Mattson, Tufte, and Graham are all returning after their starts in the USHL. They are all in my preseason top ten, which I've indicated in bold above. All the rest of these players have a good chance of making it in the final ten by the end of the season, but I'm fairly certain the winner will be chosen from one of the ten I've indicated.

Graham, Tufte, and Mattson are all highly rated by Central Scouting, which plays heavily in their favor. All three face the possibility of NOT leading their respective teams in scoring (which is practically a prerequisite for a forward hoping to win Mr. Hockey). Odds are at least one of the three will accomplish the task. I give Tufte the best chance. As such, he's my frontrunner.

There's no way that all ten finalists will be forwards, but it's a forward heavy year. I'm throwing in Aamodt, Smallidge, and Staum as my tokens.

Ellingson, Garin, Johnson, and Notermann all did what they needed to do in the Elite League. I can't leave them off in good conscience.

One thing I predict I'll get wrong is that a Duluth East player will get a nomination. There just seems to be too many solid seniors for one not to emerge and represent the Greyhounds at the Mr. Hockey banquet.

Bonin2121
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:42 pm

Post by Bonin2121 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:42 pm

No discussion about Mittelstadt possibly accelerating and taking it?

green4
Posts: 1465
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:02 am
Location: Edina

Post by green4 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:11 pm

The Exiled One wrote:Wyatt Aamodt, Hermantown
Ash Altmann, Duluth East
Jonah Bischoff, Grand Rapids
Jackson Cates, Stillwater
Shay Donovan, Duluth East
Casey Dornbach, Edina
Luke Dow, Duluth East
Chase Ellingson, Breck
Will Garin, Holy Family
Michael Graham, EP
Tyler Jette, Farmington
Max Johnson, LVN
Grant Loven, EGF
Mitch Mattson, Grand Rapids
Luke Notermann, Blaine
Zach Risteau, BSM
John Siebenaler, Farmington
Brendan Skarda, Minnetonka
Jason Smallidge, STA
Chaz Smedsrud, Luverne
Casey Staum, Hill-Murray
Riley Tufte, Blaine
Tanner Tweeten, EGF

Big news that Mattson, Tufte, and Graham are all returning after their starts in the USHL. They are all in my preseason top ten, which I've indicated in bold above. All the rest of these players have a good chance of making it in the final ten by the end of the season, but I'm fairly certain the winner will be chosen from one of the ten I've indicated.

Graham, Tufte, and Mattson are all highly rated by Central Scouting, which plays heavily in their favor. All three face the possibility of NOT leading their respective teams in scoring (which is practically a prerequisite for a forward hoping to win Mr. Hockey). Odds are at least one of the three will accomplish the task. I give Tufte the best chance. As such, he's my frontrunner.

There's no way that all ten finalists will be forwards, but it's a forward heavy year. I'm throwing in Aamodt, Smallidge, and Staum as my tokens.

Ellingson, Garin, Johnson, and Notermann all did what they needed to do in the Elite League. I can't leave them off in good conscience.

One thing I predict I'll get wrong is that a Duluth East player will get a nomination. There just seems to be too many solid seniors for one not to emerge and represent the Greyhounds at the Mr. Hockey banquet.
It looks like a pretty solid list this year. A lot of talent it seems.

MWS coach
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 am

Post by MWS coach » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:24 pm

Watched Force game on Saturday and Tufte had a lot more impact than Graham did. I realize just one game and not playing HS competition but in that game it wasn't even close...

WestMetro
Posts: 2383
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:36 pm

Your 10 are pretty spot on right now.

Luke Dow could be the one from the Hounds. He is really going to accumulate points this year

Rapids Alex Adams is another to keep eye on

Aamodt is the favorite Dman

I am interested if Smallidge can maintain his Elite momentum back in the STA system this year. He's got to use his body consistently to help Slow down better opponents , like Jacob Olsen did. But coaches also got to let him take the reins off a bit and skate the puck into offensive zone when opportunity presents itself , cause he's got real talent there for a big guy

Sats81
Posts: 2733
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:58 pm

It will be Tufte in a runaway. Graham will be closest thing to him.

hockeyboy22
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:15 pm

Post by hockeyboy22 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:36 pm

It's between tufte and graham whichever one has more points and leads team to better record.

The Exiled One
Posts: 1715
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 am

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:40 pm

Bonin2121 wrote:No discussion about Mittelstadt possibly accelerating and taking it?
Pulling an Aaron Ness? I haven't heard about it. What do you know?

Bonin2121
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:42 pm

Post by Bonin2121 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:11 pm

The Exiled One wrote: Pulling an Aaron Ness? I haven't heard about it. What do you know?
or a Bjugstad.

"Mittelstadt accelerating to join next fall is a possibility currently on the table, sources have told SB Nation College Hockey."

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/big-ten ... sntdp-more

Vapor
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:22 pm

Post by Vapor » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:28 pm

Mistake for him to accelerate IMO. Don't understand what the rush is for these kids. Didn't really work out that good for Ness.

Sats81
Posts: 2733
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:56 am

Vapor wrote:Mistake for him to accelerate IMO. Don't understand what the rush is for these kids. Didn't really work out that good for Ness.
As talented as he is, I agree. No reason to do this. What's the hurry?

blueblood
Posts: 2288
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 8:36 am
Location: Tonka

Early departures

Post by blueblood » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:44 pm

Lucia trying to keep his job?

The Exiled One
Posts: 1715
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 am

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:23 pm

Chris Dilks top 10

1. Riley Tufte, Forward, Blaine High School (Committed to Minnesota Duluth)
2. Michael Graham, Forward, Eden Prairie High School (Committed to Notre Dame)
3. Mitchell Mattson, Forward, Grand Rapids High School (Committed to North Dakota)
4. Casey Staum, Defenseman, Hill-Murray School (Committed to Nebraska Omaha)
5. Will Garin, Forward, Holy Family Catholic (Committed to Connecticut)
6. Chase Ellingson, Forward, Breck School (Uncommitted)
7. Tyler Jette, Defenseman, Farmington High School (Uncommitted)
8. Max Johnson, Forward, Lakeville North High School (Committed to Bowling Green)
9. Ash Altmann, Forward, Duluth East High School (Uncommitted)
10. Zach Risteau, Forward, Benilde-St. Margaret's School (Uncommitted)

We agree on 7 of 10. Kind of surprised he omitted Aamodt. Otherwise, I don't have any issue with the rest.

Sats81
Posts: 2733
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:43 pm

The Exiled One wrote:Chris Dilks top 10

1. Riley Tufte, Forward, Blaine High School (Committed to Minnesota Duluth)
2. Michael Graham, Forward, Eden Prairie High School (Committed to Notre Dame)
3. Mitchell Mattson, Forward, Grand Rapids High School (Committed to North Dakota)
4. Casey Staum, Defenseman, Hill-Murray School (Committed to Nebraska Omaha)
5. Will Garin, Forward, Holy Family Catholic (Committed to Connecticut)
6. Chase Ellingson, Forward, Breck School (Uncommitted)
7. Tyler Jette, Defenseman, Farmington High School (Uncommitted)
8. Max Johnson, Forward, Lakeville North High School (Committed to Bowling Green)
9. Ash Altmann, Forward, Duluth East High School (Uncommitted)
10. Zach Risteau, Forward, Benilde-St. Margaret's School (Uncommitted)

We agree on 7 of 10. Kind of surprised he omitted Aamodt. Otherwise, I don't have any issue with the rest.
Agreed on Aamodt, also, No Tweeten or Loven..

@hockeytweet
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:43 pm

Post by @hockeytweet » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:11 pm

Top Five (in order) for me:
Tufte
Mattson
Garin
Staum
Johnson

Tufte, if he stays healthy, should be a slam dunk.
Mattson could get it if something happens to Tufte.

Garin slips into top 3 because he is going to pile up the points and is clearly the straw the stirs the drink for HF.

Frankly, if a guy is the second best player on his team, I couldn't see him as Mr Hockey, so that bumps Graham down the list for me. It's pretty clear that Mittelstadt has become the Eagles best player.

green4
Posts: 1465
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:02 am
Location: Edina

Post by green4 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:44 pm

@hockeytweet wrote:Top Five (in order) for me:
Tufte
Mattson
Garin
Staum
Johnson

Tufte, if he stays healthy, should be a slam dunk.
Mattson could get it if something happens to Tufte.

Garin slips into top 3 because he is going to pile up the points and is clearly the straw the stirs the drink for HF.

Frankly, if a guy is the second best player on his team, I couldn't see him as Mr Hockey, so that bumps Graham down the list for me. It's pretty clear that Mittelstadt has become the Eagles best player.
I agree about the Graham comment, of course he could pop back above Mittelstadt and have a better season, and then he could very possibly when it. But, he has to be better than Mittelstadt.
Malmquist and Wait were pretty identical in numbers and that was enough doubt for him to not win last year. So I will stick with that philosophy.

Sats81
Posts: 2733
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:24 pm

Mittlestadt is best HS player I have seen since Kloos, and hard for me to say this, but may be better. Kloos was best I have seen since late 90s for sure.

WestMetro
Posts: 2383
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:34 pm

Risteau, Jette did not over perform during Elite, but maybe will excel more in regular season. Jette was frequently paired with Smallidge, together they were imposing on blue line but Smallidge over achieved and showed better offensive movement. I don't know how anyone can exclude Aamodt unless
pre determining that Wyatt should settle for Reed Larson, which is an unfair prejudgment

gopherman23
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:17 pm

Post by gopherman23 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:05 am

I got a feeling Noterman wins it this year. He was great in the Elite League, and he looks awesome to start the season, so far.

Sats81
Posts: 2733
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:42 am

gopherman23 wrote:I got a feeling Noterman wins it this year. He was great in the Elite League, and he looks awesome to start the season, so far.
Taking nothing away from him, but regardless whether he has a HUGE year or not, he is on same team as Tufte who is likely the favorite and writers/voters etc won't give him the attention he deserves bc of this.

InYourFace09
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:35 pm

Post by InYourFace09 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:44 am

Sats81 wrote:
gopherman23 wrote:I got a feeling Noterman wins it this year. He was great in the Elite League, and he looks awesome to start the season, so far.
Taking nothing away from him, but regardless whether he has a HUGE year or not, he is on same team as Tufte who is likely the favorite and writers/voters etc won't give him the attention he deserves bc of this.
If Noterman finishes with more pointst than Tufte, I don't see how the award will go to Tufte. It would go to Graham or someone else who leads their team in points, Graham is no lock either with Middlestadt.

WestMetro
Posts: 2383
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:48 pm

Very interesting discussion, in that many of the top contender names might be equaled or out scored by teammates. Seems to me that scenario would Increase the odds for Chase Ellingson

Post Reply