Mr. Hockey 2016

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sats81
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:19 pm

WestMetro wrote:Well Green 4 , your very logical post just made my case for me." Who else do you vote for?" -- Ellingson.
There is not an NHL Scout/D1 Coach on the panel that will give him one vote West Metry.

WestMetro
Posts: 2909
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:30 pm

Are they going to vote for Perunovich next year?

Sats81
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:45 pm

WestMetro wrote:Are they going to vote for Perunovich next year?
I would hope so! If Mittlestadt doesn't accelerate, stays sr year of HS (highly unlikely) I would say no though.

WestMetro
Posts: 2909
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:00 pm

Both were top 5 Elite League Scorers (Ellingson 2 years running I think)

Both pretty similar USHL Draft status, I think?

Scott already D1, Chase by end of season?

Neither is probably ever going to be on an NHL draftwatch list, but is that an automatic disqual nowadays from Mr Hockey?


(Again, my premise is that CM either accels this year, or is USHL next year)

Sats81
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:04 pm

WestMetro wrote:Both were top 5 Elite League Scorers (Ellingson 2 years running I think)

Both pretty similar USHL Draft status, I think?

Scott already D1, Chase by end of season?

Neither is probably ever going to be on an NHL draftwatch list, but is that an automatic disqual nowadays from Mr Hockey?


(Again, my premise is that CM either accels this year, or is USHL next year)
Point I am trying to make with Tufte in the running this year I don't think many others get any votes, especially considering his potential NHL draft status.

WestMetro
Posts: 2909
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:24 pm

Yes, understand your point and thats the odds on consensus way of looking at it right now, with good logic for that view, no denying that.

I keep getting hung up by fact that Noterman has in the past and will probably again equal or beat him in scoring during regular season, just before the votes are cast.

So I guess its a NHL prospects/size thing.

Or..

Just sayin, if Minn Hock wants to promote a small Class A finesse player for the award, they got one opportunity this year and another next year.

(Course Aamodt and Johnson are also darkhorses still)

Sats81
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:30 pm

WestMetro wrote:Yes, understand your point and thats the odds on consensus way of looking at it right now, with good logic for that view, no denying that.

I keep getting hung up by fact that Noterman has in the past and will probably again equal or beat him in scoring during regular season, just before the votes are cast.

So I guess its a NHL prospects/size thing.

Or..

Just sayin, if Minn Hock wants to promote a small Class A finesse player for the award, they got one opportunity this year and another next year.

(Course Aamodt and Johnson are also darkhorses still)
Would love to see a kid like Aamodt win it. Perunovich too. Just don't see it happening. Notremann is a fantastic player. Someone needs to lock him down soon!

green4
Posts: 1477
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:02 am
Location: Edina

Post by green4 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:53 pm

I think there is a pretty big gap between Perunovich and Ellingston. Ellingston is a great player, but he is not as talented as the guys on central scouting.
I have never seen Perunovich play, but it sounds like he is just as skilled as the guys on central scouting but his size is what keeps him off the list. I think he is an older birth year too, so this is his first year of draft eligibility.
He is not as good as Mittlestedt, but it sounds like he would be the next best option for next year in terms of talent.

gopherman23
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:17 pm

Post by gopherman23 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:29 pm

Not much new on the Mr. Hockey front. Tufte has to be the clear favorite at this point.

bsmguy
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:44 pm

Post by bsmguy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:32 am

Its time to put SOMEONE from BSM into this discussion. Their top line (Gleekel, Risteau, Moore) are all seniors as is defender Austin. None of these guys are NHL draft picks, but 12-0-1 with a senior-laden team has to merit at least some talk of a top-ten nominee.

bsmguy
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:44 pm

Post by bsmguy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:32 am

duplicate deleted

Sats81
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:37 am

bsmguy wrote:Its time to put SOMEONE from BSM into this discussion. Their top line (Gleekel, Risteau, Moore) are all seniors as is defender Austin. None of these guys are NHL draft picks, but 12-0-1 with a senior-laden team has to merit at least some talk of a top-ten nominee.
Ok, fine. Ken Pauly.

bsmguy
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:44 pm

Post by bsmguy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:39 am

Sats81 wrote:
bsmguy wrote:Its time to put SOMEONE from BSM into this discussion. Their top line (Gleekel, Risteau, Moore) are all seniors as is defender Austin. None of these guys are NHL draft picks, but 12-0-1 with a senior-laden team has to merit at least some talk of a top-ten nominee.
Ok, fine. Ken Pauly.
Must be a senior-not get the senior discount! :D

WCHBlog
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:51 pm

Post by WCHBlog » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:51 am

Central Scouting mid-terms rankings come out soon. Likely going to be a big gap between Tufte and Graham/Mattson/anybody else.

Jeffy95
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Post by Jeffy95 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:24 pm

Sats81 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Yes, understand your point and thats the odds on consensus way of looking at it right now, with good logic for that view, no denying that.

I keep getting hung up by fact that Noterman has in the past and will probably again equal or beat him in scoring during regular season, just before the votes are cast.

So I guess its a NHL prospects/size thing.

Or..

Just sayin, if Minn Hock wants to promote a small Class A finesse player for the award, they got one opportunity this year and another next year.

(Course Aamodt and Johnson are also darkhorses still)
Would love to see a kid like Aamodt win it. Perunovich too. Just don't see it happening. Notremann is a fantastic player. Someone needs to lock him down soon!
Aamodt wasn't even listed on the Central Scouting Players to watch list for the 2016 NHL entry draft in November. There were seven MN High School Defenseman on the list, including two from Duluth East. The Single A kids just don't get the respect from the scouts. Perunovich was the only Class A player out of 12 on the list, so is the exception to the rule.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32760

Sats81
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:33 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Yes, understand your point and thats the odds on consensus way of looking at it right now, with good logic for that view, no denying that.

I keep getting hung up by fact that Noterman has in the past and will probably again equal or beat him in scoring during regular season, just before the votes are cast.

So I guess its a NHL prospects/size thing.

Or..

Just sayin, if Minn Hock wants to promote a small Class A finesse player for the award, they got one opportunity this year and another next year.

(Course Aamodt and Johnson are also darkhorses still)
Would love to see a kid like Aamodt win it. Perunovich too. Just don't see it happening. Notremann is a fantastic player. Someone needs to lock him down soon!
Aamodt wasn't even listed on the Central Scouting Players to watch list for the 2016 NHL entry draft in November. There were seven MN High School Defenseman on the list, including two from Duluth East. The Single A kids just don't get the respect from the scouts. Perunovich was the only Class A player out of 12 on the list, so is the exception to the rule.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32760
I wouldn't put too much stock into this list. If he is good enough, eventually it will work out.

Jeffy95
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Post by Jeffy95 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:03 pm

Sats81 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Yes, understand your point and thats the odds on consensus way of looking at it right now, with good logic for that view, no denying that.

I keep getting hung up by fact that Noterman has in the past and will probably again equal or beat him in scoring during regular season, just before the votes are cast.

So I guess its a NHL prospects/size thing.

Or..

Just sayin, if Minn Hock wants to promote a small Class A finesse player for the award, they got one opportunity this year and another next year.

(Course Aamodt and Johnson are also darkhorses still)
Would love to see a kid like Aamodt win it. Perunovich too. Just don't see it happening. Notremann is a fantastic player. Someone needs to lock him down soon!
Aamodt wasn't even listed on the Central Scouting Players to watch list for the 2016 NHL entry draft in November. There were seven MN High School Defenseman on the list, including two from Duluth East. The Single A kids just don't get the respect from the scouts. Perunovich was the only Class A player out of 12 on the list, so is the exception to the rule.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32760
I wouldn't put too much stock into this list. If he is good enough, eventually it will work out.
I'm sure it will but it still makes no sense. By all accounts he showed what he could do in the Elite league but he still gets no respect. It has to be because he plays Single A. Makes you wonder if a kid like Watkins or Sandelin will take note of this and head somewhere else to play.

Sats81
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:25 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Yes, understand your point and thats the odds on consensus way of looking at it right now, with good logic for that view, no denying that.

I keep getting hung up by fact that Noterman has in the past and will probably again equal or beat him in scoring during regular season, just before the votes are cast.

So I guess its a NHL prospects/size thing.

Or..

Just sayin, if Minn Hock wants to promote a small Class A finesse player for the award, they got one opportunity this year and another next year.

(Course Aamodt and Johnson are also darkhorses still)
Would love to see a kid like Aamodt win it. Perunovich too. Just don't see it happening. Notremann is a fantastic player. Someone needs to lock him down soon!
Aamodt wasn't even listed on the Central Scouting Players to watch list for the 2016 NHL entry draft in November. There were seven MN High School Defenseman on the list, including two from Duluth East. The Single A kids just don't get the respect from the scouts. Perunovich was the only Class A player out of 12 on the list, so is the exception to the rule.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32760
I wouldn't put too much stock into this list. If he is good enough, eventually it will work out.
I'm sure it will but it still makes no sense. By all accounts he showed what he could do in the Elite league but he still gets no respect. It has to be because he plays Single A. Makes you wonder if a kid like Watkins or Sandelin will take note of this and head somewhere else to play.
I agree, however I don't think it has to do with him playing single A, as he is one of if not the best dmen in HS hockey in MN this year. I think the central scouting "snub" if you want to call it that has more to do with his size than anything, which is dumb. Look at how well the Ahcan kid is playing in the USHL this year. St Cloud got themselves a hell of a player there and his game is similar to Aamodt's. Highly doubt Watkins or Sandelin will leave Hermantown for anywhere other than USHL.

WestMetro
Posts: 2909
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:08 pm

BSM Guy: I think Exiled One had Risteau on his original top 10 nominee list and most everyone agree with him at the time, would have to go back and check to be sure.

Yes, there are several BSM seniors this year who have stepped up and all contributing to the undefeated record. But I have to say, I have really been impressed with Gleekel confidence and improvement this year. Last time I looked, I think he was leading or close to leading the team in scoring. He has grown a lot and is using bigger size both offensively and defensively. He is not really a huge checker, but opponents see his size and adjust. And he always seems to be able to create space, resulting in opportunities and quality shots by him or someone else on his shift.

Many others on BSM deserve credit to date also.

Having said all that, I think BSMs ultimate story this year will be a team effort, perhaps all the way to the X, but not a top 3 Mr Hockey contender. Nothing at all wrong with that.

warriors41
Posts: 653
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:40 pm

Post by warriors41 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:17 pm

Sats81 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Yes, understand your point and thats the odds on consensus way of looking at it right now, with good logic for that view, no denying that.

I keep getting hung up by fact that Noterman has in the past and will probably again equal or beat him in scoring during regular season, just before the votes are cast.

So I guess its a NHL prospects/size thing.

Or..

Just sayin, if Minn Hock wants to promote a small Class A finesse player for the award, they got one opportunity this year and another next year.

(Course Aamodt and Johnson are also darkhorses still)
Would love to see a kid like Aamodt win it. Perunovich too. Just don't see it happening. Notremann is a fantastic player. Someone needs to lock him down soon!
Aamodt wasn't even listed on the Central Scouting Players to watch list for the 2016 NHL entry draft in November. There were seven MN High School Defenseman on the list, including two from Duluth East. The Single A kids just don't get the respect from the scouts. Perunovich was the only Class A player out of 12 on the list, so is the exception to the rule.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32760
I wouldn't put too much stock into this list. If he is good enough, eventually it will work out.
I'm sure it will but it still makes no sense. By all accounts he showed what he could do in the Elite league but he still gets no respect. It has to be because he plays Single A. Makes you wonder if a kid like Watkins or Sandelin will take note of this and head somewhere else to play.
I agree, however I don't think it has to do with him playing single A, as he is one of if not the best dmen in HS hockey in MN this year. I think the central scouting "snub" if you want to call it that has more to do with his size than anything, which is dumb. Look at how well the Ahcan kid is playing in the USHL this year. St Cloud got themselves a hell of a player there and his game is similar to Aamodt's. Highly doubt Watkins or Sandelin will leave Hermantown for anywhere other than USHL.
It does have a lot more to do with size. We've seen small AA kids put up a lot of points and not be that highly rated. Than we've seen single A kids like Brock Nelson who were highly rated and were a 1st rounder. Its actually understandable why they put such a big emphasis on size considering its one thing that can't be taught.

Sats81
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:11 pm

warriors41 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Yes, understand your point and thats the odds on consensus way of looking at it right now, with good logic for that view, no denying that.

I keep getting hung up by fact that Noterman has in the past and will probably again equal or beat him in scoring during regular season, just before the votes are cast.

So I guess its a NHL prospects/size thing.

Or..

Just sayin, if Minn Hock wants to promote a small Class A finesse player for the award, they got one opportunity this year and another next year.

(Course Aamodt and Johnson are also darkhorses still)
Would love to see a kid like Aamodt win it. Perunovich too. Just don't see it happening. Notremann is a fantastic player. Someone needs to lock him down soon!
Aamodt wasn't even listed on the Central Scouting Players to watch list for the 2016 NHL entry draft in November. There were seven MN High School Defenseman on the list, including two from Duluth East. The Single A kids just don't get the respect from the scouts. Perunovich was the only Class A player out of 12 on the list, so is the exception to the rule.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32760
I wouldn't put too much stock into this list. If he is good enough, eventually it will work out.
I'm sure it will but it still makes no sense. By all accounts he showed what he could do in the Elite league but he still gets no respect. It has to be because he plays Single A. Makes you wonder if a kid like Watkins or Sandelin will take note of this and head somewhere else to play.
I agree, however I don't think it has to do with him playing single A, as he is one of if not the best dmen in HS hockey in MN this year. I think the central scouting "snub" if you want to call it that has more to do with his size than anything, which is dumb. Look at how well the Ahcan kid is playing in the USHL this year. St Cloud got themselves a hell of a player there and his game is similar to Aamodt's. Highly doubt Watkins or Sandelin will leave Hermantown for anywhere other than USHL.
It does have a lot more to do with size. We've seen small AA kids put up a lot of points and not be that highly rated. Than we've seen single A kids like Brock Nelson who were highly rated and were a 1st rounder. Its actually understandable why they put such a big emphasis on size considering its one thing that can't be taught.

Well this was the case much more 15-20 yrs ago with size. However, in today's national hockey league there is definitely a place for "smaller" players who possess the right skill set. You don't see scouts shying away from smaller players now nearly as much as they did before.

warriors41
Posts: 653
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:40 pm

Post by warriors41 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:14 pm

Sats81 wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Yes, understand your point and thats the odds on consensus way of looking at it right now, with good logic for that view, no denying that.

I keep getting hung up by fact that Noterman has in the past and will probably again equal or beat him in scoring during regular season, just before the votes are cast.

So I guess its a NHL prospects/size thing.

Or..

Just sayin, if Minn Hock wants to promote a small Class A finesse player for the award, they got one opportunity this year and another next year.

(Course Aamodt and Johnson are also darkhorses still)
Would love to see a kid like Aamodt win it. Perunovich too. Just don't see it happening. Notremann is a fantastic player. Someone needs to lock him down soon!
Aamodt wasn't even listed on the Central Scouting Players to watch list for the 2016 NHL entry draft in November. There were seven MN High School Defenseman on the list, including two from Duluth East. The Single A kids just don't get the respect from the scouts. Perunovich was the only Class A player out of 12 on the list, so is the exception to the rule.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32760
I wouldn't put too much stock into this list. If he is good enough, eventually it will work out.
I'm sure it will but it still makes no sense. By all accounts he showed what he could do in the Elite league but he still gets no respect. It has to be because he plays Single A. Makes you wonder if a kid like Watkins or Sandelin will take note of this and head somewhere else to play.
I agree, however I don't think it has to do with him playing single A, as he is one of if not the best dmen in HS hockey in MN this year. I think the central scouting "snub" if you want to call it that has more to do with his size than anything, which is dumb. Look at how well the Ahcan kid is playing in the USHL this year. St Cloud got themselves a hell of a player there and his game is similar to Aamodt's. Highly doubt Watkins or Sandelin will leave Hermantown for anywhere other than USHL.
It does have a lot more to do with size. We've seen small AA kids put up a lot of points and not be that highly rated. Than we've seen single A kids like Brock Nelson who were highly rated and were a 1st rounder. Its actually understandable why they put such a big emphasis on size considering its one thing that can't be taught.

Well this was the case much more 15-20 yrs ago with size. However, in today's national hockey league there is definitely a place for "smaller" players who possess the right skill set. You don't see scouts shying away from smaller players now nearly as much as they did before.
I agree. I just think those smaller players aren't as highly rated by central scouting during the draft process.

Sats81
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:03 pm

warriors41 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Yes, understand your point and thats the odds on consensus way of looking at it right now, with good logic for that view, no denying that.

I keep getting hung up by fact that Noterman has in the past and will probably again equal or beat him in scoring during regular season, just before the votes are cast.

So I guess its a NHL prospects/size thing.

Or..

Just sayin, if Minn Hock wants to promote a small Class A finesse player for the award, they got one opportunity this year and another next year.

(Course Aamodt and Johnson are also darkhorses still)
Would love to see a kid like Aamodt win it. Perunovich too. Just don't see it happening. Notremann is a fantastic player. Someone needs to lock him down soon!
Aamodt wasn't even listed on the Central Scouting Players to watch list for the 2016 NHL entry draft in November. There were seven MN High School Defenseman on the list, including two from Duluth East. The Single A kids just don't get the respect from the scouts. Perunovich was the only Class A player out of 12 on the list, so is the exception to the rule.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32760
I wouldn't put too much stock into this list. If he is good enough, eventually it will work out.
I'm sure it will but it still makes no sense. By all accounts he showed what he could do in the Elite league but he still gets no respect. It has to be because he plays Single A. Makes you wonder if a kid like Watkins or Sandelin will take note of this and head somewhere else to play.
I agree, however I don't think it has to do with him playing single A, as he is one of if not the best dmen in HS hockey in MN this year. I think the central scouting "snub" if you want to call it that has more to do with his size than anything, which is dumb. Look at how well the Ahcan kid is playing in the USHL this year. St Cloud got themselves a hell of a player there and his game is similar to Aamodt's. Highly doubt Watkins or Sandelin will leave Hermantown for anywhere other than USHL.
It does have a lot more to do with size. We've seen small AA kids put up a lot of points and not be that highly rated. Than we've seen single A kids like Brock Nelson who were highly rated and were a 1st rounder. Its actually understandable why they put such a big emphasis on size considering its one thing that can't be taught.

Well this was the case much more 15-20 yrs ago with size. However, in today's national hockey league there is definitely a place for "smaller" players who possess the right skill set. You don't see scouts shying away from smaller players now nearly as much as they did before.
I agree. I just think those smaller players aren't as highly rated by central scouting during the draft process.
They aren't. Doesn't mean there isn't a place for them at that level though. I look at a guy like Brian Bonin or Mike Crowley who played college 20 years ago now and never really made it in the NHL....those guys both would have nice solid NHL careers in the league of today.

Sanford
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:57 pm

Post by Sanford » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:13 pm

The game has changed.
If Wayne Gretzky was playing today he would be called "The Good One"

Sats81
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:36 pm

Sanford wrote:The game has changed.
If Wayne Gretzky was playing today he would be called "The Good One"
Of course the game has changed, but still nothing trumps a high hockey IQ which of course Gretzky set standard for that.

Post Reply