Mr. Hockey 2016

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sats81

Mr. Hockey 2016

Post by Sats81 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:03 pm

Preliminary list, as always will come down to who stays and doesn't leave to Ann Arbor/Juniors. Also, will we see any late bloomers who come out of nowhere..?

Add if you would like. In no particular order:

1) Garrett Wait, Edina (would actually be very surprised if he stuck around)

2) Jack Becker, Mahtomedi

3) Wyatt Aamodt, Hermantown

4) Grant Loven, EGF

5) Tanner Tweeten, EGF

6) Max Johnson, LN

7) Nick Swaney, LS (my frontrunner IF he stays (very unlikely))

8) Riley Tufte, Blaine (another one I will be surprised to see stay in HS)

9) Michael Graham, EP

green4

Post by green4 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:07 pm

Before the season started Wait said he was going to leave Edina after the season ended

kniven

Re: Mr. Hockey 2016

Post by kniven » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:54 pm

Sats81 wrote:Preliminary list, as always will come down to who stays and doesn't leave to Ann Arbor/Juniors. Also, will we see any late bloomers who come out of nowhere..?

4) Grant Loven, EGF

5) Tanner Tweeten, EGF

6) Max Johnson, LN

9) Michael Graham, EP
Koby Bender, Cloquet

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:27 pm

Matt Kierstad, Elk River
Mitch Mattson, Grand Rapids
Will Garin, Holy Family
Chase Ellingson, Breck
Jackson Cates, Stillwater

Wait is the obvious frontrunner and the even more obvious departure. Swaney in second and also likely gone. I have Mitch Mattson and Chase Ellingson tied for third.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:52 pm

The Exiled One wrote:Matt Kierstad, Elk River
Will Garin, Holy Family
Chase Ellingson, Breck

Wait is the obvious frontrunner and the even more obvious departure. Swaney in second and also likely gone. I have Mitch Mattson and Chase Ellingson tied for third.
This link regarding Kierstad was shared earlier this week in a post from sanryam:

http://erstarnews.com/2015/03/21/athlet ... ming-high/

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:49 pm

My initial 10 names would be pretty close to what others have mentioned, excludes Wait and Kierstad who have already announced as Early Departs:

Becker likely to go
Ellingson
Garin likely to go
Graham depends what Middlestadt does, both might stay to win a title?
Jerry
Johnson 50/50?, will stay if Edquist and Poehling stay?
Mattson Thought would go, now might stay? GR is Section 7 favorite.
Swaney likely to go
Tufte likely to go
Zimmer likely to go

Of the above list, I would put Swaney first, Graham 2nd, Ellingson 3rd.
Excluding the Likely to Goes: Graham, Ellingson, Mattson

Five More Possibles to Replace Likely Gones above:

Bischoff
Noterman
Skarda
Staum
Tweeten

Darkhorses:

Clemens
Siebenaler

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:01 pm

WestMetro wrote:My initial 10 names would be pretty close to what others have mentioned, excludes Wait and Kierstad who have already announced as Early Departs:

Becker likely to go
Ellingson
Garin likely to go
Jerry
Swaney likely to go
Tufte likely to go
Zimmer likely to go

Bischoff
Noterman
Skarda
Staum
Tweeten

Darkhorses:

Clemens
Siebenaler
My guess would be Graham stays, Mittlestadt will 100% be back, and with that they are early favorite to win state.

You are correct in that Max Johnson staying is heavily contingent on Edquist staying in HS. R. Poehling will 100% be back and despite what a lot of people on this board seem to think Edquist is very likley to be playing HS hockey again next winter.

Zimmer- Even if he does stay I don't believe the "wayzata way" is very condusive to his skillset.

Of all players mentioned the most gifted offensive player is Graham. With all the projections of players leaving, I think its his award to lose as I don't see him leaving the west metro, West Metro :wink:

Whiner33

Re: Mr. Hockey 2016

Post by Whiner33 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:41 pm

Sats81 wrote:Preliminary list, as always will come down to who stays and doesn't leave to Ann Arbor/Juniors. Also, will we see any late bloomers who come out of nowhere..?

4) Grant Loven, EGF

5) Tanner Tweeten, EGF

6) Max Johnson, LN

9) Michael Graham, EP
10) Chaz Smedsrud, Luverne

Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:02 pm

Good start to the list for who is leaving. And we get to see who WestMetro is trying to promote from the east metro which is always good fun. Here's a hint if a kid wasn't on a "Elite" roster last fall (with the exception of Zimmer) they aren't going to be in the running for Mr. Hockey. Ask Stats. :oops:

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:31 pm

Nuts and Bolts

I can think of a few Elite juniors from last year that had only modest high school seasons. Some I understand more than others.

They will probably be reinvited back to Elite, since that is usually the case. Hopefully they will rise to full potential for their senior h.s. year.

Hopefully also other non Elite juniors that had better h.s.seasons will also be invited to fall Elites this year, and have great senior seasons.

In any event, you are right many of the top names will likely be Early Departs,
so who are your predictions?

Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:32 pm

Sats81 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:My initial 10 names would be pretty close to what others have mentioned, excludes Wait and Kierstad who have already announced as Early Departs:

Becker likely to go
Ellingson
Garin likely to go
Jerry
Swaney likely to go
Tufte likely to go
Zimmer likely to go

Bischoff
Noterman
Skarda
Staum
Tweeten

Darkhorses:

Clemens
Siebenaler
My guess would be Graham stays, Mittlestadt will 100% be back, and with that they are early favorite to win state.

You are correct in that Max Johnson staying is heavily contingent on Edquist staying in HS. R. Poehling will 100% be back and despite what a lot of people on this board seem to think Edquist is very likley to be playing HS hockey again next winter.

Zimmer- Even if he does stay I don't believe the "wayzata way" is very condusive to his skillset.

Of all players mentioned the most gifted offensive player is Graham. With all the projections of players leaving, I think its his award to lose as I don't see him leaving the west metro, West Metro :wink:
Edquist will not stay if Lakeville North doesn't have a competitive team. Will never play on a team that doesn't have a chance to win. Take a look at his career. Always plays for a winner. Would love to see his numbers if he stays in Lakeville with a so-so team. Won't be as impressive as everyone makes him out to be. Just my 2 cents.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:41 am

WestMetro wrote:Nuts and Bolts

I can think of a few Elite juniors from last year that had only modest high school seasons. Some I understand more than others.

They will probably be reinvited back to Elite, since that is usually the case. Hopefully they will rise to full potential for their senior h.s. year.

Hopefully also other non Elite juniors that had better h.s.seasons will also be invited to fall Elites this year, and have great senior seasons.

In any event, you are right many of the top names will likely be Early Departs,
so who are your predictions?
He doesn't have a list because he wouldn't be able to handle his feelings getting hurt if he didn't get any correct. He will just copy all the "experts" picks

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:45 am

Puckstopper81 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:

Becker likely to go
Ellingson
Garin likely to go
Jerry
Swaney likely to go
Tufte likely to go
Zimmer likely to go

Bischoff
Noterman
Skarda
Staum
Tweeten

Darkhorses:

Clemens
Siebenaler

Edquist will not stay if Lakeville North doesn't have a competitive team. Will never play on a team that doesn't have a chance to win. Take a look at his career. Always plays for a winner. Would love to see his numbers if he stays in Lakeville with a so-so team. Won't be as impressive as everyone makes him out to be. Just my 2 cents.
Well good thing you know so much! LN will be a top 5 in the state team next year. Don't take my word for it though. Just watch.

Glad that every perennial top 5 college hockey program in the country agrees with you and your opinion of Edquist. :roll:

Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:00 pm

Sats81 wrote:
Puckstopper81 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:

Becker likely to go
Ellingson
Garin likely to go
Jerry
Swaney likely to go
Tufte likely to go
Zimmer likely to go

Bischoff
Noterman
Skarda
Staum
Tweeten

Darkhorses:

Clemens
Siebenaler

Well good thing you know so much! LN will be a top 5 in the state team next year. Don't take my word for it though. Just watch.

Glad that every perennial top 5 college hockey program in the country agrees with you and your opinion of Edquist. :roll:
Maybe he is the best, but the couple of games saw him play this year, he really did not make or did not have to make many good saves. Will that help him (his stat) or hurt him (making a game winning save)? Don't know.

Will he stand tall for Gophers? Hope he does.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:59 pm

Wyatt Aamodt, Hermantown
Koby Bender, Cloquet
Jonah Bischoff, Grand Rapids
Shay Donovan, Duluth East
Chase Ellingson, Breck
Will Garin, Holy Family
Michael Graham, EP
Tyler Jette, Farmington
Max Johnson, LVN
Grant Loven, EGF
Luke Notermann, Blaine
Zach Risteau, BSM
John Siebenaler, Farmington
Brendan Skarda, Minnetonka
Jason Smallidge, STA
Chaz Smedsrud, Luverne
Casey Staum, Hill-Murray
Riley Tufte, Blaine
Tanner Tweeten, EGF

USHL 30-man rosters will be out soon. This list will be trimmed in short order.
Last edited by The Exiled One on Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:54 pm

Good comprehensive list. Closely parallels my earlier thoughts

Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:19 pm

Last four on the list most likely gone with Becker as the other big question. Protected rosters not published yet. I'll take Graham as the lead horse going in to the "Elite" season but you needed to be on the Elite rosters last year to be in the running for Mr. Hockey.

XO - might need to check your representative from the Packers. Younger brother will be a decent player is a junior but older brother won't be in the running. I'm no expert like others self proclaimed but Johnson will be back at LVN and Edquist is gone.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:51 pm

Nuts&Bolts wrote:XO - might need to check your representative from the Packers. Younger brother will be a decent player is a junior but older brother won't be in the running.
Thanks. Fixed.

Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:03 pm

Wait or Tufte if they are there. After that, meh but I'd probably say Graham.

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:05 pm

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Last four on the list most likely gone with Becker as the other big question. Protected rosters not published yet. I'll take Graham as the lead horse going in to the "Elite" season but you needed to be on the Elite rosters last year to be in the running for Mr. Hockey.

XO - might need to check your representative from the Packers. Younger brother will be a decent player is a junior but older brother won't be in the running. I'm no expert like others self proclaimed but Johnson will be back at LVN and Edquist is gone.
Johnson made the stampede roster...

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:01 am

My thought on goalies has always been that unless you're going to the USHL there's not really an upside to leaving high school early. Edquist will play fewer games at North but he will play a very tough schedule, the NAHL is pretty hit and miss but with more games. Elite League + North's schedule may be better.

Not a knock on the Kautz kid from Rochester, but he left early for the NAHL and proceeded to play 4 years in that league, Alex Kangas stayed in high school his whole time and ended up at Minnesota.

I don't feel like looking it up but it seems Minnesota has faired better with goalies who finished up their high school years in high school than with kids who left early.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:20 am

notTONIGHT wrote:Johnson made the stampede roster...
Haven't seen that roster yet. Should I put him on the NOT RETURNING list?

green4

Post by green4 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:28 am

I think Tufte is the frontrunner if he stays, but I like Aamodt as my dark horse.
I see Graham being a choice for some, but when I look at last year and how people used Malmquist benefiting from playing with Wait as a reason not to pick him, then I think Graham benefitting from Mittelstadt is even more apparent

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:29 am

The Exiled One wrote:
I wouldn't just yet...

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:10 pm

Sats81 wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:
I wouldn't just yet...
I wouldnt put him on that list yet either...but he made the stampede team if he so desires...