Early Departures 15-16

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:04 pm

Maybe I missed him on the list but was Austen Long a 2014-15 departure?

BP

Post by BP » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:00 am

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Maybe I missed him on the list but was Austen Long a 2014-15 departure?
Yes.

BP

Post by BP » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:25 pm

You can add David Nicholson, G, from SPA to the list. Going to some prep school out east.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:36 pm

BP wrote:You can add David Nicholson, G, from SPA to the list. Going to some prep school out east.
who?

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:13 pm

I have heard some rumblings that Garrett Wait may actually play for Edina his senior year but possibly do a before/after in the USHL. Not sure if this has been 100% decided though.

green4

Post by green4 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:28 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:I have heard some rumblings that Garrett Wait may actually play for Edina his senior year but possibly do a before/after in the USHL. Not sure if this has been 100% decided though.
:D I hope you ain't pulling on my leg, this would be quite exciting

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:05 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:I have heard some rumblings that Garrett Wait may actually play for Edina his senior year but possibly do a before/after in the USHL. Not sure if this has been 100% decided though.
Big win for HS hockey if he stays. Love when kids like Justin Kloos, Avery Peterson, Kyle Rau etc stick around and keep our crown jewel pure.

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:35 pm

I think it's 50 50 based on kid liking high school experience comments from parents and the crap that is going on with Waterloo coaching staff. GB

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:42 pm

Sats81 wrote:
Big win for HS hockey if he stays. Love when kids like Justin Kloos, Avery Peterson, Kyle Rau etc stick around and keep our crown jewel pure.
Sure didn't hurt Jaremko by sticking around, Mr. Hockey, National HS player of the year, HS memories with his buddies. Will still get a full year with the Steele.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:37 am

alcloseshaver wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
Sure didn't hurt Jaremko by sticking around, Mr. Hockey, National HS player of the year, HS memories with his buddies. Will still get a full year with the Steele.
It is too bad more high end kids don't realize this! I understand it can be case by case, but just thinking back over last few years to kids who have stayed through their sr years and have transitioned well to the college game and the evidence is there that you can stay and play HS and still do great at the next level....2011-Rau, Archibald, Jonny Brodzinski, Cameranesi, Max Everson. 2012-Kloos, Jake Randolph, Toninato, Bitzer. 2013-Bischoff, Besse, Vanelli (even though he didn't play college, but has now signed with someones AHL affiliate)...2014-Avery Peterson, Luc Snuggerud, Spencer Naas. All have had success thus far at the college level and I'm sure Zach Yon, Steven Spinner and Tyler Nanne will all have good college careers also, as well as many of the kids who played their sr years this year....

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:21 am

I like the idea of kids sticking it out through their senior year, but I can still understand their motivations for leaving early. Jaremko, as was pointed out, stayed for his senior year and will play next season in Chicago before moving on Mankato. His other option would have been to play in Chicago last season, in which case there would be a good chance he'd be at Mankato next season. That would have put him on a schedule to graduate college a year earlier, potentially put him in the pros a year earlier, resulting in an extra year of a professional salary. The NHL minimum is $525,000. AHL players average $85,000 a year.

I looked at some of the old lists and noticed that Nate Schmidt played his senior season in the USHL. Because he did, he was able to start at Minnesota as a true freshman. He played his first NHL game when he was 22.

I'm not saying that it'll work out that way for every kid. I'm saying that there are some logical reasons for leaving early if a kid is emotionally and mentally prepared for it. At the same time, I'd never blame a kid for wanting to stay for his senior season for any reason. Jaremko certainly didn't hurt his hockey development by staying, he just delayed it a bit in exchange for some HS senior experiences, memories, and rights-of-passage. It's a trade-off. There's no "right" decision, just a decision. I think most high-end kids (and their parents) DO realize this. I think only a few of them have been swindled into making an illogical decision regarding their educational or athletic futures. Most of them have their eyes wide open.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:58 am

Michael Brodzinski comes to mind, skipped his senior year and wanted to start college on time. In Jaremko's case not sure Mankato wanted him that early, would have most likely played 2 years of juniors. Input from future college coach is a factor.

hockey_is_a_choice

Post by hockey_is_a_choice » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:01 am

Sats 81, I hope you feel good about your post regarding the SPA player. I don't know the kid, but I wish him well. He is heading off to a quality prep school that will prepare him well for what I am certain is his goal of gaining admission to a tier one college. Will he play D1 hockey? Probably not--but he might be your son's boss someday. There is more to life than hockey. A little humility on your part might rub off on your kid. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:04 am

hockey_is_a_choice wrote:Probably not--but he might be your son's boss someday.
:roll:

Windmill31

Post by Windmill31 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:24 pm

hockey_is_a_choice wrote:Sats 81, I hope you feel good about your post regarding the SPA player. I don't know the kid, but I wish him well. He is heading off to a quality prep school that will prepare him well for what I am certain is his goal of gaining admission to a tier one college. Will he play D1 hockey? Probably not--but he might be your son's boss someday. There is more to life than hockey. A little humility on your part might rub off on your kid. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Sounds like it's not a very hockey related thing. I know the kid and from what I've heard I believe it's pretty college oriented. I also heard he gets an extra year of high school to finalize his grades before college. Lucky kid. Wish him the best at I believe Holderness prep.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:36 pm

hockey_is_a_choice wrote:Sats 81, I hope you feel good about your post regarding the SPA player. I don't know the kid, but I wish him well. He is heading off to a quality prep school that will prepare him well for what I am certain is his goal of gaining admission to a tier one college. Will he play D1 hockey? Probably not--but he might be your son's boss someday. There is more to life than hockey. A little humility on your part might rub off on your kid. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Relax!

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:49 pm

Green4. Would be interested in your perspective on Waits likely senior year point production without skating with Malmquist at center. And who he would potentially be lined up with?

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:42 pm

NHL max deal for rookies, this is what most kids who leave college early get, is 925k. They are always 2 way deals with the salary in the A of about 70k. Max allowable signing bonus is 10% of the value of the NHL salary paid each year of the contract. This contract can not exceed three years and depending on a players age may be only 2 or even 1 I believe. There is the possibility of negotiating incentives but the base deal is pretty much the same for all.

92.5K X 3 years = 276.5K in guaranteed signing bonus.

70k X 3 years if you play in the minors.

832.5 K salary if they play in the show.

Salary is prorated and paid by the day if time is split between the two.

The key is to get to your second contract as an NHL 'er not as a prospect still in the A.

While 165k a year is awfully tempting for a kid the only real issue for kids choosing to stay is the possibility their value to the team that drafted them erodes. This is why not being drafted actually is helpful for many college players. Better to have 30 teams bidding for your services than just one.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:59 pm

No Minnesota high schoolers in yesterdays 2nd Tier announcement of NTDP U17s.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/usa-hoc ... s-u17-team

green4

Post by green4 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:46 am

WestMetro wrote:Green4. Would be interested in your perspective on Waits likely senior year point production without skating with Malmquist at center. And who he would potentially be lined up with?
If Wait returns to Edina I would guess he would have about the same amount of points that he had this year, In the 65-70 range. It depends how Giles works the lines for next year, but I don't see him scoring more than this year since he won't be playing with a player quite as good as Malmquist.
As for who he could be paired up with, I would bet Dornbach moves up to top line as his center. The other wing will be interesting and not as predictable, I could see them using Scheerer since he is a big guy and would add some grit to the line, but Giles might not want to split him up from Copeland and Walker since they were great at the end of last year. Edina loses a lot to graduation so you could see a JV guy, like Garret Malmquist on a line with Wait, or one of the talented kids coming from the Bantam team.

Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:34 pm

So many of the young guns in the NHL stuck around for their senior year. Bjugstad (kind of), Nelson, Lee, Leddy, McDonagh... These are the young Minnesotans making names for themselves, so I think it proves the hockey is still strong.

hipcheck

NHL/high school

Post by hipcheck » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:19 pm

It would be interesting to see what MN NHL players in the playoffs this year played high school hockey their senior year.

The Exiled One

Re: NHL/high school

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:51 pm

hipcheck wrote:It would be interesting to see what MN NHL players in the playoffs this year played high school hockey their senior year.
You can figure out which ones are in the playoffs...

Alex Goligoski - Yes
Anders Lee - Yes
Brock Nelson - Yes
David Backes - Yes
Eriah Hayes - Yes
J.T. Brown - Yes
Jack Hillen - Yes
Jake Gardiner - Yes
John Curry - Yes
Justin Braun - Yes
Matt Cullen - Yes
Matt Hendricks - Yes
Matt Niskanen - Yes
Nick Bjugstad - Yes
Nick Leddy - Yes
Paul Martin - Yes
Ryan Carter - Yes
Ryan McDonagh - Yes
Stu Bickel - Yes
T.J. Oshie - Yes
Tim Jackman - Yes
Tom Gilbert - Yes
Travis Morin - Yes
Tyler Pitlick - Yes
Alex Stalock - No
Derek Stepan - No
Dustin Byfuglien - No
Erik Johnson - No
Jamie McBain - No
Jordan Leopold - No
Jordan Schroeder - No
Justin Faulk - No
Keith Ballard - No
Kyle Okposo - No
Mark Stuart - No
Nate Prosser - No
Nate Schmidt - No
Seth Helgeson - No
Zach Parise - No
Last edited by The Exiled One on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:11 pm

Zach Parise didn't play high school hockey did he? I thought he just played at Shattuck.

Hayes played his senior year at LaCrescent.

I'm not sure Mark Stuart ever played at Lourdes, I get the Stuart boys confused though.

Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:12 pm

Justin Braun played his senior year at White Bear