USHL Draft

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The Exiled One

USHL Draft

Post by The Exiled One » Mon May 04, 2015 10:08 pm

I had to source some of the info myself. Let me know if I missed anybody.

Futures Draft (1999's)
1 Ryan Poehling C Lakeville North HS
2 Matt Anderson LD Holy Family
8 Marko Reifenberger C Hill Murray
9 Clayton Phillips LD Edina
16 Conner Maye LD Benilde-St Margaret's
18 Chase Hartje LD Bemidji HS
24 Ben Copeland C/RW Edina
25 Sammy Walker C Edina
26 Grant Anderson RD Wayzata
27 Isaac Johnson C Anoka
32 Jack Harris D Prior Lake
47 Dylan Mills C Hill-Murray
49 Cory Cecco F Rochester JM
50 Jack Olsen RD Lakeville South
53 Josh Ess LD Lakeville South
55 Ryan Sandelin C Hermantown
60 Carson Kosobud LD Moorhead
69 Jake Begley G Hill-Murray
77 Luke Manning F Stillwater
79 Seth Benson LW Moorhead
110 Luke LaMaster D Duluth East
112 Bram Scheerer F Edina
113 Matt Dahlseide F St. Paul Academy
116 Colin Baird D Mounds View
122 Jesse Bjugstad D Stillwater
129 Chase Brand C Park Rapids
140 Carter Randklev F Moorhead

Entry draft is tomorrow.
Last edited by The Exiled One on Tue May 05, 2015 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Tue May 05, 2015 9:33 am

Entry Draft
13 Cedar Rapids Will Garin RW Mound, MN Holy Family Catholic HS
29 Cedar Rapids Riese Zmolek LD Rochester, MN Rochester Century HS
40 Bloomington Myles Cunningham RD Blake HS
48 Madison Jackson Cates F Stillwater Area HS
71 Waterloo Peter Tufto C Chaska, MN St. Thomas Academy HS
82 Chicago Zachary Risteau C/LW Lakeville, MN Benilde-St. Margaret's HS
89 Waterloo John Peterson C Mankato, MN Holy Family Catholic HS
90 Bloomington Nick Leivermann LD Eden Prairie, MN Eden Prairie HS
101 Green Bay Parker Revering LD Alexandria HS
109 Lincoln Henry Bowlby F Edina, MN Edina HS Hornets
118 Des Moines Justin Howell C St. Paul Johnson Governors HS
136 Madison Alec Broetzman LW Hudson, WI St. Thomas Academy HS
142 Omaha Jason Smallidge RD St. Thomas Academy HS
144 Cedar Rapids Chase Ellingson C/RW Blaine, MN Breck HS
148 Lincoln Nate Pionk C Hermantown HS Hawks
151 Omaha Tyler Rock F Holy Family Catholic HS
152 Madison Simon Sagissor F Stillwater Area HS
156 Cedar Rapids Ben Foley LD Edina HS Hornets
157 Waterloo Colin Gallagher LD Mendota Heights, MN Henry Sibley HS
161 Sioux Falls Grant Loven C East Grand Forks, MN East Grand Forks HS
164 Muskegon Cullen Munson C Edina, MN Janesville Jets
167 Fargo Alex Mehnert LD Moorhead HS
222 Omaha Kyler Yeo C/RW Woodbury, MN Hill-Murray HS
228 Lincoln Henry Enebak C/RW Prior Lake, MN Lakeville North HS
264 Madison Micah Miller C Grand Rapids HS
265 Waterloo Tyler Watkins F Hermantown, MN Hermantown Hawks Bantam AA
268 Sioux Falls Spencer Meier RD Sartell, MN Sartell/Saint Stephen HS-Var. Sabres
273 Tri-City Seamus Donohue LD North Oaks, MN St. Thomas Academy HS
332 Sioux Falls Luke Notermann RW Blaine HS
412 Sioux Falls Chaz Smedsrud LW Luverne HS Cardinals
Last edited by The Exiled One on Tue May 05, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue May 05, 2015 11:00 am

Congrats to all MN kids drafted thus far

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Tue May 05, 2015 1:07 pm

For the Entry Draft, USHL teams lose a player's rights if they don't roster him this coming season. Usually a team won't use a first round pick on a player they don't think will report. Does anybody know if Will Garin will be coming back his senior year? How about Myles Cunningham (Blake) or Jackson Cates (Stillwater)? I doubt anybody lower on the list gave a firm indication that they'd be willing to leave HS early, but I'm sure there will be a few departures.

SouthernMinnFan

Post by SouthernMinnFan » Tue May 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Please do not take these numbers as 100% solid. I looked through the list very fast at work. But in my attempt to look where players were drafted from that people here would care about this is what I have

Midget Major/ Midget Minor AAA Hockey - 123 draft picks
Junior teams (also included the 2 USNTDP because they play junior schedule) - 47
Minnesota High School Hockey - 29

I would say there were at least 30 kids from foreign programs including midgets/ high school/ and juniors in Canada and roughly 15-20 Prep school kids from around the USA. Once again, if you actually take the time to count these precisely please update and I will change the numbers as well, but they should be close to accurate.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Tue May 05, 2015 1:34 pm

FYI, here are the last 11 first overall picks for the Phase 1 (Future's) Draft...

2005 - Patrick Kane
2006 - Jimmy Hayes
2007 - Nate Schmidt
2008 - Jaden Schwartz
2009 - Matt Mahalak
2010 - Riley Barber
2011 - Taylor Cammarata
2012 - Shane Gersich
2013 - Tom Novak
2014 - Riley Tufte
2015 - Ryan Poehling
Last edited by The Exiled One on Tue May 05, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:36 pm

The Exiled One wrote:FYI, here are the last 11 first overall picks for the Phase 1 (Future's) Draft...

2005 - Patrick Kane
2006 - Jimmy Hayes
2007 - Nate Schmidt
2008 - Jaden Schwartz
2009 - Matt Mahalak
2010 - Riley Barber
2011 - Taylor Cammarata
2012 - Shane Gersich
2013 - Tom Novak
2014 - Mitchell Mattson
2015 - Ryan Poehling
Not bad company. BTW, wasn't Tufte first overall last year?

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Tue May 05, 2015 1:47 pm

Sats81 wrote:Not bad company. BTW, wasn't Tufte first overall last year?
Yep. Oops.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Wed May 06, 2015 12:34 am

The Futures draft is somewhat misleading in the first round now though because some best players get signed to tenders before the draft happens. That wasn't around 3 or 4 years ago.

Not to mention the fact that the NTDP picks most of the cream before it gets to the draft.

observer

Post by observer » Wed May 06, 2015 8:12 am

Congrats to all the Minnesota players and families. Surprised at the number of NAHL players drafted which I think indicates the strengthening of that league.

10minutemajor

Post by 10minutemajor » Wed May 06, 2015 8:50 am

Gopher Blog wrote:The Futures draft is somewhat misleading in the first round now though because some best players get signed to tenders before the draft happens. That wasn't around 3 or 4 years ago.

Not to mention the fact that the NTDP picks most of the cream before it gets to the draft.
Considering Tufte turned down the NTDP, I would say his selection at #1 is pretty legit. I mean you can look at how Clayton Keller is tearing up for the NTDP, but who's to say Tufte wouldn't have been doing the same thing. Poehling though? I don't know. We'll see how it goes for him this year without his brothers. That being said, he deserves a congratulations. You can never take away the honor or feeling that "going first" in a draft must bring.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Wed May 06, 2015 9:13 am

Gopher Blog wrote:The Futures draft is somewhat misleading in the first round now though because some best players get signed to tenders before the draft happens. That wasn't around 3 or 4 years ago.

Be that as it may, there were some very talented players taken in the draft and a first round selection is still quite an honor. Good luck to all those selected.

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Wed May 06, 2015 10:31 am

Kind of surprised to see that Tweeten from EGF was not drafted.
Did I miss something?
What is a Green Wave anyway?

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Wed May 06, 2015 10:34 am

TTpuckster wrote:Kind of surprised to see that Tweeten from EGF was not drafted.
Did I miss something?
I believe he was taken in the 2013 draft and his rights are still owned by Des Moines.

oldman70

Post by oldman70 » Wed May 06, 2015 11:26 am

. Haters are going to hate!

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Wed May 06, 2015 4:16 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
TTpuckster wrote:Kind of surprised to see that Tweeten from EGF was not drafted.
Did I miss something?
I believe he was taken in the 2013 draft and his rights are still owned by Des Moines.
Ahh, thanks,
What is a Green Wave anyway?

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Wed May 06, 2015 5:18 pm

oldman70 wrote:

Pointing out a fact is "hate"? OK :lol:

I didn't single out any player so I am not sure who I am hating on. I said the tenders have been going on for three or four years... not just singling out this year.

nobama

Post by nobama » Thu May 07, 2015 7:06 am

FLOATERS NEEDS TO BE FLUSHED Look at the past history a jolly folly to this day trying to create a great day for the kids ie "theres" and really causing a national U.S. youth hockey funeral for all of the others who do not understand what is happening.
See You At heavens Door when true Karma floats 1st rounders my my. [-X

oldman70

Post by oldman70 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:03 am

Gopher Blog wrote:
oldman70 wrote:

I didn't single out any player so I am not sure who I am hating on. I said the tenders have been going on for three or four years... not just singling out this year.
Why did you feel it was necessary to rain on these kids parade. thousands of kids play hockey, and only a few are picked in the first round, but according to you that's not good enough, these 1st rounders weren't tendered, or picked for the National Dev. team. No matter what these kids do in the future, they will always be 1st rd. Draft picks. I know for fact, one of the 1st round kids turned down
Two different teams tenders so he play another year of HS hockey with his buddies.

oldman70

Post by oldman70 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:03 am

Gopher Blog wrote:
oldman70 wrote:

Why did you feel it was necessary to rain on these kids parade. thousands of kids play hockey, and only a few are picked in the first round, but according to you that's not good enough, these 1st rounders weren't tendered, or picked for the National Dev. team. No matter what these kids do in the future, they will always be 1st rd. Draft picks. I know for fact, one of the 1st round kids turned down
Two different teams tenders so he play another year of HS hockey with his buddies.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Thu May 07, 2015 9:27 am

oldman70 wrote:I know for fact, one of the 1st round kids turned down two different teams tenders so he play another year of HS hockey with his buddies.
That doesn't surprise me. If a kid refuses a tender from a team that REALLY wants him, there's nothing stopping that same team (or another) from drafting him and holding on to his rights for three years. That's why they used to refer to it as the "futures" draft.

Honestly, I'd be more surprised to discover than none of the first round draft picks had turned down a tender. It wouldn't make sense that tenders are accepted 100% of the time. Even NTDP invitations aren't accepted 100% of the time.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Thu May 07, 2015 3:29 pm

oldman70 wrote:Why did you feel it was necessary to rain on these kids parade. thousands of kids play hockey, and only a few are picked in the first round, but according to you that's not good enough, these 1st rounders weren't tendered, or picked for the National Dev. team. No matter what these kids do in the future, they will always be 1st rd. Draft picks.
Look, I recognize that you are either related to or buddies with one of these players. I think it is great to be a 1st round pick. But pointing out facts about the process is still valid when discussing any of this. You can complain about this fact being brought up but it doesn't change it.

It is no different than the Mr. Hockey award these days. If we are going to be totally honest about Mr. Hockey, the candidate pool is much more watered down most years nowadays compared to many years ago because some of the very best guys leave before their senior year. Some might not like that reality pointed out but it is the truth.

As for turning down a tender, so what? A tender is only going to be used if a kid is going to play in 55% of that team's games the following year. If a kid isn't going to do that, clearly it isn't worth it for either party. Better off being drafted in that case since you don't have any demands on you the following season

oldman70

Post by oldman70 » Thu May 07, 2015 4:15 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:
oldman70 wrote:Why did you feel it was necessary to rain on these kids parade. thousands of kids play hockey, and only a few are picked in the first round, but according to you that's not good enough, these 1st rounders weren't tendered, or picked for the National Dev. team. No matter what these kids do in the future, they will always be 1st rd. Draft picks.
Look, I recognize that you are either related to or buddies with one of these players. I think it is great to be a 1st round pick. But pointing out facts about the process is still valid when discussing any of this. You can complain about this fact being brought up but it doesn't change it.

It is no different than the Mr. Hockey award these days. If we are going to be totally honest about Mr. Hockey, the candidate pool is much more watered down most years nowadays compared to many years ago because some of the very best guys leave before their senior year. Some might not like that reality pointed out but it is the truth.

As for turning down a tender, so what? A tender is only going to be used if a kid is going to play in 55% of that team's games the following year. If a kid isn't going to do that, clearly it isn't worth it for either party. Better off being drafted in that case since you don't have any demands on you the following season
So what if it is watered, things change, kids have more options now days, don't live in the past, I'm in my late 60s, I don't like change either, but it happens any way, the game will never be pure as it once was, too much politics and parental interference, we don't let kids be kids anymore. All your points are valid, I just wanted to acknowledge the kids accomplishments, any kid who gets drafted in the Ushl or any draft is a heck of a hockey player.

green4

Post by green4 » Thu May 07, 2015 4:37 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:

I don't think the tender process really effects the outcome of 1st round picks. Without it we probably have a different order in which the players are selected and probably a different first overall pick, but the first round should stay very similar in terms of who is getting picked in that round. A tender takes the place of that team's first round pick so I feel like it really only effects the order of the first round. The exception is if one team tenders two kids which would replace their first and second round picks. That is what teams should be trying to do so they can get two elite, first round players, but one takes the place of the second round pick. But this seems rare, only one team was able to do that this year.

Also, on the Mr. Hockey award, I think the award is missing the big name superstars, guys like Boeser and Novak for this last year, which hurts, but I don't think it is that watered down. I think we have more players now with high skills then when the award started. When you look at the list from the past year, there was 9 of the 10 committed to play D1 hockey when the finalist list came out, the one uncommitted was Tufto and he looked extremely good at state. Compare that to the first year they nominated 10 people for te award, 2003, 8 of them went on to play college hockey. So even with many of the big names leaving, there is still a deep pool of skilled players behind them.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu May 07, 2015 5:01 pm

green4 wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote:

I don't think the tender process really effects the outcome of 1st round picks. Without it we probably have a different order in which the players are selected and probably a different first overall pick, but the first round should stay very similar in terms of who is getting picked in that round. A tender takes the place of that team's first round pick so I feel like it really only effects the order of the first round. The exception is if one team tenders two kids which would replace their first and second round picks. That is what teams should be trying to do so they can get two elite, first round players, but one takes the place of the second round pick. But this seems rare, only one team was able to do that this year.

Also, on the Mr. Hockey award, I think the award is missing the big name superstars, guys like Boeser and Novak for this last year, which hurts, but I don't think it is that watered down. I think we have more players now with high skills then when the award started. When you look at the list from the past year, there was 9 of the 10 committed to play D1 hockey when the finalist list came out, the one uncommitted was Tufto and he looked extremely good at state. Compare that to the first year they nominated 10 people for te award, 2003, 8 of them went on to play college hockey. So even with many of the big names leaving, there is still a deep pool of skilled players behind them.
Dead on there!