Curtis Simonson, former GR defenseman, commits to Gophers

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

north_bear

Curtis Simonson, former GR defenseman, commits to Gophers

Post by north_bear » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:06 pm

Curtis Simonson who last played for Grand Rapids during the '12-'13 season has committed to play D1 hockey for the Gophers. He spent the last couple years playing in the NAHL most recently with the Minnesota magicians. Congrats to Curtis on this big accomplishment!! It will be cool to see him and Jake Bischoff anchoring the blue line again.

He was a solid defenseman for Rapids that wasn't afraid to deliver a big hit. Honestly I'm pretty surprised by this commitment. Not many kids play in the NAHL and get a D1 ride, let alone to one of the top programs in the country.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

OU812

Post by OU812 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:53 pm

Congrats to Simonson. Nice showing for both him and the Magicians.

Btw, not to disagree, but this year I think NAHL players gathered roughly 230 NCAA commitments, with about 125 of those accepting full or partial scholarships to D1 schools - an all time record total for the NA on both counts.

hadenuf

Post by hadenuf » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:14 pm

This is a walk-on offer according to GopherPuckLive. Hopefully Curtiss can earn some ice time and scholarship $$. Great young man and family.

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:10 pm

Thanks for the clarification 812. Now I know!
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:09 pm

hadenuf wrote:This is a walk-on offer according to GopherPuckLive. Hopefully Curtiss can earn some ice time and scholarship $$. Great young man and family.
Is it common that hockey players can walk on and tryout for a D1 hockey program. I assumed it happened all the time.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:25 pm

kniven wrote:
hadenuf wrote:This is a walk-on offer according to GopherPuckLive. Hopefully Curtiss can earn some ice time and scholarship $$. Great young man and family.
Is it common that hockey players can walk on and tryout for a D1 hockey program. I assumed it happened all the time.
Walk ons are recruited. It really isn't a tryout scenario.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:01 am

Gopher Blog wrote:
kniven wrote:
Which most people don't know or understand. Your typical club hockey all star can't just "walk-on" or "try out" for the Gophers.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:30 pm

OU812 wrote:Congrats to Simonson. Nice showing for both him and the Magicians.

Btw, not to disagree, but this year I think NAHL players gathered roughly 230 NCAA commitments, with about 125 of those accepting full or partial scholarships to D1 schools - an all time record total for the NA on both counts.
Grand Rapids high school boys hockey is amazing! 12 players on the elite north squad every year and D1 hockey players all over the place! It's pretty amazing for a town that size. No wonder they win all the time every single year....

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:49 pm

I am looking forward to seeing the thawk kids at Elite, several times in the metro this regular season , and then again at the X!

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:10 pm

WestMetro wrote:I am looking forward to seeing the thawk kids at Elite, several times in the metro this regular season , and then again at the X!
You calling GR to win 7AA this coming winter WestMetry?

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:49 pm

Yes, I've got them ranked seventh, and section 7 champs. I hope they don't disappoint. After watching the greyhounds take care of business last weekend, I'm already a little nervous.

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:06 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:
kniven wrote:
How come I never hear of these walk-on recruits on this forum? You would think that people would like to brag about such an accomplishment. So most don't brag because it isn't a sure thing? If these walk-on recruits was such a sure thing at D1 hockey programs, I'd think we'd see congrads on this forum all the time for players. Is this the first one ever for the U of M? Do all the other 100 D1 hockey programs in the state of mn offer these? And if they do, why don't I(we) see folks on here facebook, twitter every congratulating the athlete? Confused......

The Bone

Post by The Bone » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:37 pm

Walk-on's are basically players who are not on scholarship. I believe Mitch Rogge falls into that category with the Gophers.

MNpuckBlog

Post by MNpuckBlog » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:40 pm

kniven wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote:
kniven wrote:
How come I never hear of these walk-on recruits on this forum? You would think that people would like to brag about such an accomplishment. So most don't brag because it isn't a sure thing? If these walk-on recruits was such a sure thing at D1 hockey programs, I'd think we'd see congrads on this forum all the time for players. Is this the first one ever for the U of M? Do all the other 100 D1 hockey programs in the state of mn offer these? And if they do, why don't I(we) see folks on here facebook, twitter every congratulating the athlete? Confused......
I believe Brian Shack started his career at the U the same way. Lucia offered him a 15% scholarship during or after his freshman season. More often, third-string goalies fall into the "recruited walk-on" group. Also, Connor Gaarder (Edina) went to UND as a walk on, not sure if he eventually got scholarship $$ or not.