Section 7AA 2015-16

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

boblee

Post by boblee »

Low likelihood of a tie because they use a point system. 1 point for 1st place vote, 2 for 2nd, etc.

Team with the lowest number is 1, next is 2, etc. That means not only would teams need the same amount of 1 votes to be tied, they'd need the same amount of 2s and or 3s.

And East will vote Rapids one for a few reasons. Namely, they lost to Rapids and cruised past Elk River.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

boblee wrote:Low likelihood of a tie because they use a point system. 1 point for 1st place vote, 2 for 2nd, etc.

Team with the lowest number is 1, next is 2, etc. That means not only would teams need the same amount of 1 votes to be tied, they'd need the same amount of 2s and or 3s.

And East will vote Rapids one for a few reasons. Namely, they lost to Rapids and cruised past Elk River.
I went through each teams voting for the top 4 spots.
It was a tie. I had thought GR had it but after my last 2 phone calls, huh a tie?!?!
And then GR got it on the third round.
And everyone was happy.

:D
boblee

Post by boblee »

kniven

Post by kniven »

boblee wrote:Who will be the top seed in 7AA?

http://www.grhshockey.com/news_article/ ... ferrer_id=
More importantly, who will be the 7th seed?
boblee

Post by boblee »

kniven: We will predict it all this weekend or early next week. Can't believe it's seeding time already!
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

kniven wrote:
boblee wrote:Who will be the top seed in 7AA?

http://www.grhshockey.com/news_article/ ... ferrer_id=
More importantly, who will be the 7th seed?
St. Francis most likely given they beat Andover.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
kniven

Post by kniven »

boblee wrote:kniven: We will predict it all this weekend or early next week. Can't believe it's seeding time already!
Yep. It's time for the playoffs! It's what we play for all year. I really don't care who we play in the playoffs. It's fun to speculate though :)
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

All this banter is fun to read, but it SHOULD not even be a discussion as ER should not be in 7AA and Hermantown should be,

#1 7AA Seed HH

:shock:
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Elk River should be in 8AA or 5AA. I don't get how the MSHSL puts 7 teams in 8AA and 9 teams in 7AA.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

MWS coach wrote:All this banter is fun to read, but it SHOULD not even be a discussion as ER should not be in 7AA and Hermantown should be,

#1 7AA Seed HH

:shock:
Coach Plante doesn't want to give up the Hat Tricks for his Seniors in the Running Time State Quarterfinal game. That's their reward for playing a tough AA Schedule in the regular season.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Elk River should be in 8AA or 5AA. I don't get how the MSHSL puts 7 teams in 8AA and 9 teams in 7AA.
St Cloud will be in 8AA next year. And Alex will probably qualify after that.
I am sure they new of that potential when they set it up.

Elk River???
Its bad enough we have Buffalo.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

elliott70 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:Elk River should be in 8AA or 5AA. I don't get how the MSHSL puts 7 teams in 8AA and 9 teams in 7AA.
St Cloud will be in 8AA next year. And Alex will probably qualify after that.
I am sure they new of that potential when they set it up.

Elk River???
Its bad enough we have Buffalo.
ER in 8AA in other winter sports. They do this every 2 years should have got it right but it is just one tech guy at the league office crunching numbers and geography to come up with it. There is no big meeting or discussion.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

You are expecting effective results from this organization?
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:

Section meeting is next weds at 430pm now.So well know alittle sooner than normal on the official seeding
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

New jerseys for Rapids on Saturday. Not a huge fan of em. The last black jerseys were awesome.
Last edited by TheHockeyDJ on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Usthockey13 wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:

Section meeting is next weds at 430pm now.So well know alittle sooner than normal on the official seeding
That probably means they'll be released on Twitter and here about 5:30.
boblee

Post by boblee »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:In other news Rapids will be wearing their $19.95 Walmart jersey editions on Saturday vs HF. Just horrible design. The jersey template is ugly and the logo looks off, like the L to R scale needs to be stretched.
The music isn't good enough. The radio announcers aren't good enough. The online feed isn't good enough. The specialty jerseys aren't good enough. Anything else?

It's high school. Everything is fine. Just enjoy the games.
HockeyStorm

Post by HockeyStorm »

Here is a snippet of an article from the Howie Blog, written by Howie Hanson of Duluth. Some pretty good quotes from the coaches.

The CEC victory all but assured Duluth East a top-three seed for the upcoming Section 7AA playoffs, which begin later this month. Elk River and Grand Rapids also are a lock for a top-three seed, and all three teams will make strong arguments for a top one or two seed.

"Tonight was a big win for us, in terms of section seeding," Randolph (right) said outside the Greyhounds' locker room immediately following Monday's game. "I think we're two, and in the running for number one. But I know they won't give it to us.

"Here's the deal: Elk River doesn't play anybody. They play Andover twice, and Andover could be an eighth seed. They play Grand Rapids in the third game of a Christmas tournament, and they play us. They don't have to play these guys (CEC). Go to Cloquet. So, our Cloquet game (a one-goal loss) should be eliminated. They don't play Marshall, and those are rivalry games for us. Those local teams get up for us, and almost trap games for us. Elk River doesn't have to play them at all. I think any game that we played against Cloquet or Marshall, whether we win or lose, when we're compared to Elk River should be thrown out of the discussion.

"So, let's talk about the comparable games. We played Grand Rapids and played them into OT, in Rapids. They played Rapids at a neutral site, on a third day in a Christmas tournament. There's a difference there. We played Elk River a week ago and we didn't beat them by one but 6-3. They can say they had this guy and that guy out, I don't want to hear that because we all can say that. What should the final seeding be? I think it should be Rapids, us, Elk River, Cloquet, Marshall, Forest Lake, then maybe St. Francis."

Said Esse: "If East isn't seeded in the top three, there's some serious shenanigans going on. If you take a look at who's playing the best right now, you've got to tip your hat to Duluth East. Throw out all that other stuff, it's how you're playing at the end of the year."

Meanwhile, Esse is lobbying for a No. 4 seed in 7AA. The Jacks are 10-13 overall and 3-1 in the Lake Superior Conference, with the signature victory over Duluth East.

"I'm headed to the seeding meeting with my boxing gloves on, because we should be solidified at four," said Esse. "Other than that, it looks to me like (Duluth) Marshall should be five. From there, who knows? People talk about (our loss to) Marshall, blah, blah, blah. Every team would like to play some games over. Against Forest Lake and Andover, we dominated Andover and we dominated them in shots, made two mistakes the whole game and they scored on both of them. We had a chance to beat Forest Lake, and they beat us 3-0. We out-chanced them, but the bottom line is their goaltender played well and they won the game fair and square."
RalphCox

Post by RalphCox »

Randolphs arrogance after that game just gave me a reason to root HARD for elk river and Grand Rapids in the playoffs. Saying elk river doesn't play anybody is ridiculous
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

I like Randolph but that is certainly not one of his finer moments. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was having a bad day.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Was this guy misquoted??? What a Jack_ _ _. 2 years ago he went went with we were missing guys early to steal the top seed. ER doesn't play anyone? Just played you. This stuff should be saved for behind closed doors Mike, where you can do your best work. I guess no one else has any tough rivalry games.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

boblee wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:In other news Rapids will be wearing their $19.95 Walmart jersey editions on Saturday vs HF. Just horrible design. The jersey template is ugly and the logo looks off, like the L to R scale needs to be stretched.
The music isn't good enough. The radio announcers aren't good enough. The online feed isn't good enough. The specialty jerseys aren't good enough. Anything else?

It's high school. Everything is fine. Just enjoy the games.
Alright I'll get off my soap box a bit. For the record I only complained about the streaming when everyone else was the first week, I was one of hundreds.
Last edited by TheHockeyDJ on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Context, people. He's pretty clearly saying Elky doesn't play anyone *in 7AA.* (A competent journalist would have added that in brackets, but no one's ever accused Howie of being one of those. You'll note he incorrectly suggests that Marshall beat Cloquet, which is wrong. Also, he's tried to stir things up around the East program in the past in search of juicy storylines, and playing up the "elitist spoiled East" card is kind of his shtick.)

Saying ER plays no one is still an exaggeration, obviously, but they do play fewer section games than anyone other than Cambridge. That's the unfortunate reality of a schedule that involves 17 conference games and 2 holiday tournaments...it leaves 2 genuine open games (one is East, the other is Hill).

The point is that it's hard to hold East's losses to the mid-tier teams against them when the Elks didn't play those teams. Personally, I think these tortured arguments--which everyone will be making at the seeding meeting--are dumb, and overall resumes should matter more. And if we did things that way, we'd still wind up with the same exact order that Randolph listed. (With some chance that 2 and 3 could yet flip.)

If other teams want to use some hack writer's stuff as bulletin board material, I guess that's their prerogative. For my part, I don't care if East is 2 or 3 or even 4. If you can't win three games in late February, you don't deserve to go to state.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Always the voice of calm and reason Karl, wise beyond your years. By your theory than Overall resume is best decider. Even with poor journalism these statements being even at 50% accuracy are arrogant and self serving and should be saved for the meeting.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

alcloseshaver wrote:Always the voice of calm and reason Karl, wise beyond your years. By your theory than Overall resume is best decider. Even with poor journalism these statements being even at 50% accuracy are arrogant and self serving and should be saved for the meeting.

=D> =D> =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ =; =; =; #-o #-o #-o