Class A: Team to beat

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will win the Class A State Tournament

Poll ended at Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:04 pm

East Grand Froks
14%
Hermantown
71%
Mahtomedi
No votes
Other (comment who)
14%

Total votes: 14

mnhockey47

Class A: Team to beat

Post by mnhockey47 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:04 pm

What team has a legitimate shot to win the class A tournament this year? What team will shock everyone? What time will consistently be in the top 10?
Last edited by mnhockey47 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainier

Post by rainier » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:35 pm

1. Hermantown- I think without question they are the team to beat. They will have two excellent lines, 3 elite defenseman, and a proven goaltender who put up outstanding numbers last year. They play 11 games vs AA teams this year and also face many top A teams, so they will be battle tested.

2. Breck-Don't know too much about them but they have 3 Eilte League kids and are likely to be re-loaded.

3. Mahtomedi-If Becker comes back, they may have a chance to push Hermantown, but I thought I saw he was headed to the USHL.

4. EGF-They will still have an outstanding top line, but depth behind that will be a concern for a team that lost its goalie and most of its defense.

5. Hibbing-I would give them a shot at winning state this year, but they have to get by Hermantown in 7A first.

6. St. Cloud Apollo-Have 3 players in the Elite League and I see they just got a transfer from Wadena. (Not sure how good he is, but if it was worth noting I imagine he is likely a decent player.)

7. TRF-A couple high end kids on the team should keep them close to EGF in 8A.

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:39 pm

rainier wrote:1. Hermantown- I think without question they are the team to beat. They will have two excellent lines, 3 elite defenseman, and a proven goaltender who put up outstanding numbers last year. They play 11 games vs AA teams this year and also face many top A teams, so they will be battle tested.

2. Breck-Don't know too much about them but they have 3 Eilte League kids and are likely to be re-loaded.

3. Mahtomedi-If Becker comes back, they may have a chance to push Hermantown, but I thought I saw he was headed to the USHL.

4. EGF-They will still have an outstanding top line, but depth behind that will be a concern for a team that lost its goalie and most of its defense.

5. Hibbing-I would give them a shot at winning state this year, but they have to get by Hermantown in 7A first.

6. St. Cloud Apollo-Have 3 players in the Elite League and I see they just got a transfer from Wadena. (Not sure how good he is, but if it was worth noting I imagine he is likely a decent player.)

I agree. I think that Hermantown finally breaks through again this year. EGF may or may not even make it to state.
But if they do, I do not believe they will contend.
In the last 2 years they have lost too many good players.
As ranier states, Breck and Mahtomedi should be the main contenders.
What is a Green Wave anyway?

mnhockey47

Post by mnhockey47 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:07 pm

rainier wrote:1. Hermantown- I think without question they are the team to beat. They will have two excellent lines, 3 elite defenseman, and a proven goaltender who put up outstanding numbers last year. They play 11 games vs AA teams this year and also face many top A teams, so they will be battle tested.

Goalies are going to be a struggle for EGF, Hibbing, and Breck

greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:59 pm

I don't think Hibbing should be included in the discussion yet. Some quality players back, but until they can consistently beat the better teams they are unproven. Perunovich is good enough to carry this team to a lot of wins. An important concern is their lack of size. Hermantown knocked them off the puck and pushed them all over the ice in the section game last year. They have a schedule that contains a lot of opportunities to prove they belong. I hope they do and at least make Hermantown sweat a little come sections.

rainier

Post by rainier » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:20 pm

greenway1969 wrote:I don't think Hibbing should be included in the discussion yet. Some quality players back, but until they can consistently beat the better teams they are unproven. Perunovich is good enough to carry this team to a lot of wins. An important concern is their lack of size. Hermantown knocked them off the puck and pushed them all over the ice in the section game last year. They have a schedule that contains a lot of opportunities to prove they belong. I hope they do and at least make Hermantown sweat a little come sections.
I can't argue with your take; they didnt have a signature win last year. I'm basing my prediction on them returning 85% of scoring from a team that played Mahtomedi, Duluth Marshall, Grand Rapids, Hermantown (the first meeting) and Hill Murray tough. They were mostly sophomores and freshmen last year, so they should come back with more size.

And the goalie will be young, but he is dominating the bantam elite league right now.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:01 pm

My dark horse pick: St. Paul Academy. Top 10 Class A team a year ago (in the computerized rankings, anyway), return practically everyone, some genuine top-end young talent. They're filling the east metro private school gap left by St. Thomas's graduation to AA.

Not saying they'll win the thing, but they'll be a serious threat to beat a Becker-less Mahtomedi and get one of the higher seeds at State.

Overall, same story as last year: Hermantown has the most talent, but there are a handful of good candidates (namely, Breck) who could beat them if they pull another Hermantown.

ted2you

Hermantown

Post by ted2you » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:52 pm

I thought I heard Hermy was going to be a little thin next year too. I see they have a pretty good goal tender returning, but they lost a lot of scoring. I don't know who they have coming up, but I imagine they are reloading. I want to see them in the title game again, hard to imagine how heavy that weight would be.

mnhockey47

Re: Hermantown

Post by mnhockey47 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:58 pm

Does anyone have any information on section 6? Will it be as competitive as last year with Alex, Fergus, Cathedral, and Apollo?

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:14 am

karl(east) wrote: Overall, same story as last year: Hermantown has the most talent, but there are a handful of good candidates (namely, Breck) who could beat them if they pull another Hermantown.
Exactly. Never underestimate Plante's ability to screw it up. Last year he had his top line log huge minutes in the third period of the opening round, running time blowout so they could polish off their hat tricks and run up the score. When he had to lean on them in the third period and overtime against EGF you could see they had no legs. They did get the hat trick patches though. No word yet on whether or not they will hang those from a banner in the arena.

OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:09 am

Froggy Richards wrote:
karl(east) wrote: Overall, same story as last year: Hermantown has the most talent, but there are a handful of good candidates (namely, Breck) who could beat them if they pull another Hermantown.
Exactly. Never underestimate Plante's ability to screw it up. Last year he had his top line log huge minutes in the third period of the opening round, running time blowout so they could polish off their hat tricks and run up the score. When he had to lean on them in the third period and overtime against EGF you could see they had no legs. They did get the hat trick patches though. No word yet on whether or not they will hang those from a banner in the arena.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:12 am

rainier wrote:
greenway1969 wrote:I don't think Hibbing should be included in the discussion yet. Some quality players back, but until they can consistently beat the better teams they are unproven. Perunovich is good enough to carry this team to a lot of wins. An important concern is their lack of size. Hermantown knocked them off the puck and pushed them all over the ice in the section game last year. They have a schedule that contains a lot of opportunities to prove they belong. I hope they do and at least make Hermantown sweat a little come sections.
I can't argue with your take; they didnt have a signature win last year. I'm basing my prediction on them returning 85% of scoring from a team that played Mahtomedi, Duluth Marshall, Grand Rapids, Hermantown (the first meeting) and Hill Murray tough. They were mostly sophomores and freshmen last year, so they should come back with more size.

And the goalie will be young, but he is dominating the bantam elite league right now.

I saw him play a couple of games and he looked like a quality varsity goalie.