HS AA/A Pre-Season Top 10

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Top 5:
Lakeville North
East
Edina
Hill
Bemidji

Sections

1AA. Lakeville North, Farmington, Lakeville South
2AA. Edina, Prior Lake
3AA. St, Thomas
4AA. Stillwater, Hill Murray
5AA. Blaine, Centenniel, Maple Grove
6AA. EP, BSM, HF, Minnetonka
7AA. HockeyDJ is annoying pain in the arse
8AA. Bemidji , Moorhead, STMA, Rams
blueblood

Section rankings

Post by blueblood »

NWO -

MSHSL conducted major section realignment for upcoming season. You have teams in 2AA and 6AA that are wrong.

You might want to come out the woods every once in awhile since this has been published since March 2015.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Wayzata/providence co-op should crack the top 25. GB
CornerBar

Post by CornerBar »

lovethisgame wrote:Any new ideas for a Class A top ten??
With the season almost here I'll put out my own top ten and section picks for class A.

Top 10
1) Hermantown
2) Breck
3) St. Paul Academy
4) St. Cloud Apollo
5) East Grand Forks
6) Delano
7) Mahtomedi
8) Thief River Falls
9) St. Cloud Cathedral
10) Duluth Denfeld

Section Winners
1A) Northfield
2A) Breck
3A) Luverne
4A) St. Paul Acedemy
5A) Chisago Lakes
6A) St. Cloud Apollo
7A) Hermantown
8A) Thief River Falls

State Champion: Hermantown over Apollo
Thoughts?
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

CornerBar wrote:
With the season almost here I'll put out my own top ten and section picks for class A.

Top 10
1) Hermantown
2) Breck
3) St. Paul Academy
4) St. Cloud Apollo
5) East Grand Forks
6) Delano
7) Mahtomedi
8) Thief River Falls
9) St. Cloud Cathedral
10) Duluth Denfeld

Section Winners
1A) Northfield
2A) Breck
3A) Luverne
4A) St. Paul Acedemy
5A) Chisago Lakes
6A) St. Cloud Apollo
7A) Hermantown
8A) Thief River Falls

State Champion: Hermantown over Apollo
Thoughts?
SPA has a really tough schedule to start the season. They will cement themselves or remove themselves before december 15th.
mshslhockey15

Post by mshslhockey15 »

I may not be one to say much but have some unbiased opinions on some teams...

1a) Lourdes- Would be fun to see Rochester back at the tourney
2a) Breck- No question they are the best team in this section with skill and experience I would be shocked not seeing them in March this year. Ellingson will lead the Mustangs to the X and they could make a run there too.
3a) Luverne- Nelson and Smedsrud will lead the Cards back to the X
4a) Mahtomedi- Although they lost some guys they are a very solid squad and I think it would be wrong counting them out
5a) Chisago- Not much to say about this section
6a) Cathedral- Hardest section in "a" hockey to pick but with all the sophomores they had in the tourney in 14' now being seniors and a tough rivalry loss last year I wouldn't be surprised seeing the crusaders making a run at the tourney this year
7a) Hermantown- Clear favorites... can already book there rooms
8a) EGF- 2 time defending champs and I think they have the man power to get out of there section

Would love some thoughts on these predictions!!
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

mshslhockey15 wrote:
I may not be one to say much but have some unbiased opinions on some teams...

1a) Lourdes- Would be fun to see Rochester back at the tourney
2a) Breck- No question they are the best team in this section with skill and experience I would be shocked not seeing them in March this year. Ellingson will lead the Mustangs to the X and they could make a run there too.
3a) Luverne- Nelson and Smedsrud will lead the Cards back to the X
4a) Mahtomedi- Although they lost some guys they are a very solid squad and I think it would be wrong counting them out
5a) Chisago- Not much to say about this section
6a) Cathedral- Hardest section in "a" hockey to pick but with all the sophomores they had in the tourney in 14' now being seniors and a tough rivalry loss last year I wouldn't be surprised seeing the crusaders making a run at the tourney this year
7a) Hermantown- Clear favorites... can already book there rooms
8a) EGF- 2 time defending champs and I think they have the man power to get out of there section

Would love some thoughts on these predictions!!
Will probably be Monticello or Princeton in 5A
BP

Post by BP »

My thoughts on Class A Top 10 and Section champs:

1) Hermantown
2) Breck
3) East Grand Forks
4) St. Cloud Apollo
5) SPA
6) Mahtomedi
7) Delano
8) Thief River Falls
9) Hibbing
10) St Cloud Cathedral

Section Champs:
1) Lourdes over Northfield
2) Breck over Delano
3) Luverne over New Ulm
4) SPA over Mahtomedi
5) Monticello over Princeton
6) Cathedral over Apollo
7) Hermantown over Hibbing
8) EGF over Thief River
Last edited by BP on Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
BP

Post by BP »

AA:

1) Eden Prairie
2) Edina
3) Lakeville North
4) Duluth East
5) Grand Rapids
6) Hill-Murray
7) Blaine
8) Bemidji
9) St. Thomas Academy
10) Benilde

Section Champs:
1) North over South
2) Eden Prairie over Minnetonka
3) STA over Burnsville
4) Hill over Stillwater
5) Blaine over Centennial
6) Edina over BSM
7) Rapids over East
8) Bemidji over Moorhead
northwoods oldtimer

Re: Section rankings

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

blueblood wrote:NWO -

MSHSL conducted major section realignment for upcoming season. You have teams in 2AA and 6AA that are wrong.

You might want to come out the woods every once in awhile since this has been published since March 2015.
I couldn't find any updated list. :(
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

BP wrote:AA:

1) Eden Prairie
2) Edina
3) Lakeville North
4) Duluth East
5) Grand Rapids
6) Hill-Murray
7) Blaine
8) Bemidji
9) St. Thomas Academy
10) Benilde

Section Champs:
1) North over South
3) STA over Burnsville
4) Hill over Stillwater
6) Edina over BSM
7) Rapids over East
8) Bemidji over Moorhead
Looks right to me, and I bet Karl has something close to this next week. Refreshing to see some sanity brought to this place.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
BP wrote:AA:

1) Eden Prairie
2) Edina
3) Lakeville North
4) Duluth East
5) Grand Rapids
6) Hill-Murray
7) Blaine
8) Bemidji
9) St. Thomas Academy
10) Benilde

Section Champs:
1) North over South
3) STA over Burnsville
4) Hill over Stillwater
6) Edina over BSM
7) Rapids over East
8) Bemidji over Moorhead
Looks right to me, and I bet Karl has something close to this next week. Refreshing to see some sanity brought to this place.
Yeah, it is hah DJ?
bleedblue

Class A:Top 10

Post by bleedblue »

Class A: Hermantown and Breck, with deep and talented teams, will prove to be the best in Class 1A. Their defensemen are as good as any in the state, regardless of Class A or AA. Both teams can survive any injuries that might occur. Their goalies will come along as season progresses, but will rarely be tested against 1A teams. Both teams play many 2A teams to challenge themselves, grow and get battle ready for run to the X. Sections 2 and 7 are a lock.
Froggy Richards

Re: Class A:Top 10

Post by Froggy Richards »

bleedblue wrote:Class A: Hermantown and Breck, with deep and talented teams, will prove to be the best in Class 1A. Their defensemen are as good as any in the state, regardless of Class A or AA. Both teams can survive any injuries that might occur. Their goalies will come along as season progresses, but will rarely be tested against 1A teams. Both teams play many 2A teams to challenge themselves, grow and get battle ready for run to the X. Sections 2 and 7 are a lock.
Hermantown has more AA teams on the schedule than A so they will be plenty tested. They schedule all AA teams that will play them first and then fill in the rest of the schedule with single A teams. They're not interested in playing A teams until the playoffs.
rainier

Re: Class A:Top 10

Post by rainier »

bleedblue wrote:Class A: Hermantown and Breck, with deep and talented teams, will prove to be the best in Class 1A. Their defensemen are as good as any in the state, regardless of Class A or AA. Both teams can survive any injuries that might occur. Their goalies will come along as season progresses, but will rarely be tested against 1A teams. Both teams play many 2A teams to challenge themselves, grow and get battle ready for run to the X. Sections 2 and 7 are a lock.
I completely agree that Hermantown and Breck will be the class of A, by far. But Hermantown's goalie was outstanding last year and should hit the ground running this season.

Breck does have some top talent, but I will be shocked if Hermantown does not win the title this year. Their top six forwards (Jaques, Koepke, Sandelin, Watkins, Valure, Judnick) are fantastic, they have 3 elite d-men (Aamodt, Gotz, Samberg), and their goalie returns after putting up elite numbers last season.

The Hawks' games vs Wayzata, Tonka, and Rapids will be particularly interesting to see how they fare against top AA teams that will be better than any A team. Hopefully Rapids will hold the Hawks to single digits this season. (I couldn't resist. :D )

I used to love rooting for Hermantown when they would take on the metro privates at the tourney, but now it's getting annoying watching them breeze through to the title game every year knowing that they are as good or better than the teams in 7AA most of the time.

If Hermantown makes the title game again this season, as they should, it may be a no-win situation for Plante. If you lose, then the issue of choking gets amplified even more, to the point of it becoming his legacy. If you win, then the calls to opt-up get even louder as more people realize how ridiculous it is for such a perennially strong program to be in Class A.

I'm hoping my Bluejackets can pull of the upset in the 7A playoffs, but I don't think anyone is stopping the Hawks this year.
bleedblue

Class A: Top 10

Post by bleedblue »

My oversight on Hermantown goaltending. Agree, they are well established in net out of the blocks with LO and CM returning.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Based on what's been said on this thread the top ten should be

1. Grand Rapids
2. Thunderhawks
3. Rapids
4. Lakeville North
5. The Halloween Machine
6. Indians (from the 70's)
7. The high school west of Greenway
8. Duluth East
9. Orange and Black
10. Edina
codemanh

Post by codemanh »

BP wrote:My thoughts on Class A Top 10 and Section champs:

1) Hermantown
2) Breck
3) East Grand Forks
4) St. Cloud Apollo
5) SPA
6) Mahtomedi
7) Delano
8) Thief River Falls
9) Hibbing
10) St Cloud Cathedral

Section Champs:
2) Breck over Delano
3) Luverne over New Ulm
4) SPA over Mahtomedi
6) Cathedral over Apollo
8) EGF over Thief River
Can I ask why Monticello? Genuinely curious, Princeton beat them twice last year and only lost 2 players. Good bantams coming up?
CornerBar

Post by CornerBar »

codemanh wrote:

1) Hermantown
2) Breck
3) East Grand Forks
4) St. Cloud Apollo
5) SPA
6) Mahtomedi
7) Delano
8) Thief River Falls
9) Hibbing
10) St Cloud Cathedral

Section Champs:
2) Breck over Delano
3) Luverne over New Ulm
4) SPA over Mahtomedi
6) Cathedral over Apollo
8) EGF over Thief River
Can I ask why Monticello? Genuinely curious, Princeton beat them twice last year and only lost 2 players. Good bantams coming up?
Very good bantam teams coming up this year and next. If they stay in class A they should be at the tournament for a few years in a row.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

CornerBar wrote:
codemanh wrote:

1) Hermantown
2) Breck
3) East Grand Forks
4) St. Cloud Apollo
5) SPA
6) Mahtomedi
7) Delano
8) Thief River Falls
9) Hibbing
10) St Cloud Cathedral

Section Champs:
2) Breck over Delano
3) Luverne over New Ulm
4) SPA over Mahtomedi
6) Cathedral over Apollo
8) EGF over Thief River
Very good bantam teams coming up this year and next. If they stay in class A they should be at the tournament for a few years in a row.
The HS League has officially made the AA/A system a joke with moving Monticello (1,900 students) down to A. Must have had some great insiders for the decision making.
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

Here is our Pre-Season T10.

http://bit.ly/1NZCrQ5

We don't stray far from the folks on this board, except the comedian from Grand Rapids...haha.

We realize East is probably too high, but at the end of the day...we can't get 7 straight out of my head..sorry.

Enjoy,

TS
rainier

Post by rainier »

YouthHockeyHub wrote:Here is our Pre-Season T10.

We don't stray far from the folks on this board, except the comedian from Grand Rapids...haha.

We realize East is probably too high, but at the end of the day...we can't get 7 straight out of my head..sorry.

Enjoy,

TS
Hibbing not on your Class A list at all? I can see not putting them in your top ten, but putting New Ulm and Detroit Lakes as teams to watch and not Hibbing is insane.

Hibbing has one of the best players in the state in Perunovich, the leading scorer in the prep development league in Jarrett Lee, and the best goalie in the bantam elite league in Ullan. Add to this a solid group of other players who performed well last season and will all be a year older this year.

Next year will likely be their peak, but don't sleep on this season's Bluejackets. I fully expect them to be a top ten A team and wouldn't be surprised if they are top 5.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Enjoy,

TS
Pretty sure St Cloud Cathedral and Apollo are in section 6.
Last edited by elliott70 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

rainier wrote:

Enjoy,

TS
Hibbing not on your Class A list at all? I can see not putting them in your top ten, but putting New Ulm and Detroit Lakes as teams to watch and not Hibbing is insane.

Hibbing has one of the best players in the state in Perunovich, the leading scorer in the prep development league in Jarrett Lee, and the best goalie in the bantam elite league in Ullan. Add to this a solid group of other players who performed well last season and will all be a year older this year.

Next year will likely be their peak, but don't sleep on this season's Bluejackets. I fully expect them to be a top ten A team and wouldn't be surprised if they are top 5.
ditto

and Moorhead will push Bemidji. And the boys in Roseau and St Michael may have other ideas;

and Warroad will be decent.

But nice to give some other schools some attention.

:D
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Preseason top 10 from youthhockeyhub.com: http://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_arti ... _id=967187
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine