Relocating to Minneapolis Area

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

xHockeyDadx

Relocating to Minneapolis Area

Post by xHockeyDadx »

Hi forum!

I'm a hockey dad in North Carolina and have been researching MN hockey, as we are likely going to be relocating to the Minneapolis area in 2016.

I'm looking for some assistance on clearing up what I THINK I know about MN hockey for the benefit of my son. We are trying to be as prepared as possible for this transition.

My son is 13yrs old ('02) and plays on one of the few AAA teams in the southeast.

The following are things I'm curious about, and based off of things I've heard from USA Hockey reps and players that are from MN...

1. Is the level of playing in High School considered about the same as AAA?

2. Is the coaching in MN AAA any different than that of High School?

3. Is it true that fewer players play Travel Hockey in MN. (Had heard only 20% vs 80% in our area).

4. What areas are considered good for school hockey?

5. Are there other things to consider in regards to youth hockey in MN?

Ironically, my son's team was notified last week, we are bound for a OneHockey Tournament in Blaine in January, so we will get a sample of the cold!

Thanks so much for your thoughts!
kniven

Re: Relocating to Minneapolis Area

Post by kniven »

xHockeyDadx wrote:Hi forum!

I'm a hockey dad in North Carolina and have been researching MN hockey, as we are likely going to be relocating to the Minneapolis area in 2016.

I'm looking for some assistance on clearing up what I THINK I know about MN hockey for the benefit of my son. We are trying to be as prepared as possible for this transition.

My son is 13yrs old ('02) and plays on one of the few AAA teams in the southeast.

The following are things I'm curious about, and based off of things I've heard from USA Hockey reps and players that are from MN...

3. Is it true that fewer players play Travel Hockey in MN. (Had heard only 20% vs 80% in our area).

Ironically, my son's team was notified last week, we are bound for a OneHockey Tournament in Blaine in January, so we will get a sample of the cold!

AAA hockey, in my opinion, doesn't come close to Minnesota high school hockey. we had a goalie move into town from Misssouri a couple years ago as a freshman. he played jv that year and got pounded. he got pounded in practice. nice kid, but AAA isn't close, and he went back to Missouri to play AAA hockey.
observer

Post by observer »

AAA and a lot of development occurs in the summer in Minnesota and community/HS in winter.
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

kniven wrote:

AAA hockey, in my opinion, doesn't come close to Minnesota high school hockey. we had a goalie move into town from Misssouri a couple years ago as a freshman. he played jv that year and got pounded. he got pounded in practice. nice kid, but AAA isn't close, and he went back to Missouri to play AAA hockey.
Not necessarily true...some areas call Tier 1- AAA.
At peewee and bantam major and minor you can find excellent hockey
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

Your son should enroll directly at Hill. I'm sure everyone here will agree with that?
Purchase a home in beautiful Blaine, MN. A decent commute and your younger children can play with a great association, 8 sheets of ice in your backyard, and great people!
Do you play golf by any chance??

Seriously, MN high school hockey is just about the best you can get in the Midwest. There are a few elite Tier 1 or AAA that could match up well with our top high schools teams, but not many. Good luck!
xHockeyDadx

Post by xHockeyDadx »

nu2hockey wrote:
kniven wrote:

Not necessarily true...some areas call Tier 1- AAA.
At peewee and bantam major and minor you can find excellent hockey
Yep good point, I should clarify a little, his team is Tier 1 from the USA Hockey perspective, AAA from the league perspective. This is all some great feedback and much appreciated. So what I'm hearing is HS is where the best players are going to gravitate, and AAA teams are used for "off season" mostly. Would love more feedback, this is so helpful. Nope, don't play golf, but I assume Blaine is big on golf? LOL. We are all over the north this season, really looking forward to our MN trip.
HILARY2016

Post by HILARY2016 »

Assuming money is not a issue, you should look at moving to Elko, MN.
xHockeyDadx

Post by xHockeyDadx »

HILARY2016 wrote:Assuming money is not a issue, you should look at moving to Elko, MN.
Thanks for the feedback, we hadn't looked there. I'll take a look! What about Minnetonka, Eden Prairie, Edina, Wayzata, Lakeville?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Bear in mind there is a HUGE difference between the best and the worst high school hockey teams in the state. Your son could end up being a top line player at some schools that are sorely lacking in talent, but a 4th liner (or a JV player) at the top AA schools that produce D1 players year after year. My advice would be to spend some time visiting here once the season gets underway, and see some games. Maybe also take in a few bantam games to get a feel for where your son fits in now with players his own age, taking into account the level of play between his current AAA team and the better bantam teams here. Check Lets Play Hockey for the current rankings so you get to see the highly ranked teams during your visit(s).

Also become familiar with the high school transfer rules so you're in a position to make the right choice when your son is entering 9th grade.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

What position does he play?
xHockeyDadx

Post by xHockeyDadx »

MrBoDangles wrote:What position does he play?
He is RW at the moment, he has also played D in the past. Shoots left. He's near 6ft tall and still growing. Thought he'd get pigeon-holed as D with his size, but not this year.
xHockeyDadx

Post by xHockeyDadx »

MNHockeyFan wrote:Bear in mind there is a HUGE difference between the best and the worst high school hockey teams in the state. Your son could end up being a top line player at some schools that are sorely lacking in talent, but a 4th liner (or a JV player) at the top AA schools that produce D1 players year after year. My advice would be to spend some time visiting here once the season gets underway, and see some games. Maybe also take in a few bantam games to get a feel for where your son fits in now with players his own age, taking into account the level of play between his current AAA team and the better bantam teams here. Check Lets Play Hockey for the current rankings so you get to see the highly ranked teams during your visit(s).

Also become familiar with the high school transfer rules so you're in a position to make the right choice when your son is entering 9th grade.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
This is EXCELLENT advice! We were talking about trying to see some games. In fact, there are some at the same rink, same day in Blaine where my son will be playing.
HornetsFan

Post by HornetsFan »

I'll bite, if you want the best schools/hockey programs, the west/southwest metro is the place to look (Edina, Minnetonka, Eden Prairie, Wayzata). You'll hear frequently on this forum about how awful/obnoxious/privelaged these places are, but don't listen to them. They are all excellent communities (the best, in my opinion) and a lot of the hate stems from jealously. Edina is one of the most storied and most successful high school programs in the history of the state, or at least one of the last relevant programs from the old guard, and they have the largest/most successful youth hockey program in the state (in addition to the best public school in the state). Tonka, EP and Wayzata are all similar in that same vein: great schools, passionate hockey communities, just great places to live.

With that being said, the competition to make the top teams in those cities is fierce, and many kids who could easily play on the varsity teams in surrounding cities are relegated to city hockey during the winter months.

I hope this helps you in your search for a place to call home, welcome to Minnesota!
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

Lots of good advice.

If you have a chance, when you are speaking to the coaches (if you can reach your opponents by phone or in person before the game begins), take advantage of that to see 1)does the coach have time for you as a prospective new parent before he watches your kid and sees he wants or doesn't want him on their team (how does the coach genuinely and objectively act when winning/losing isn't on the line) and 2)ask the opposing coaches or even some parents to give you a quick glimpse into how he stacks up to this opponent - stick handling and shooting obviously, but even more important is speed and pace of play. 50 goals in Rochester or Premier Prep does not equal 50 goals in Lakeville or Elite League.

I'd agree that Edina et al can be amazing for the right players at the right time, but I would encourage you to be honest with yourself and your child about what he wants out of his high school hockey career, and whether the school itself has the programs and atmosphere to feed his non hockey ambitions. When my son enrolled in a new school as a freshman, I remember the coach telling him to pick a school he would still be happy with if hockey was not in the equation for some reason. I know s*** happens but I can't imagine moving to a new state already thinking that moving after a year is a possibility. But that's a personal choice.

Like the previous poster stated, the biggest programs and traditionally better teams might see 365 days of hockey in some form or another. Talk to some refs. Cold call a long time coach and a brand new one. There are great people in the media who are as knowledgable about both the culture on and off ice as any of us (and less invested or biased) who would love to get a feeler call. Finally, get your current coach to get some insider info on your behalf.

Welcome to the state of hockey.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Some broader context:

Most high school freshmen, unless very talented or in a thin program, play bantam hockey. Each community (with some weird exceptions) has a youth program that lines up with the local public high school's boundaries, and bantam teams sorted by talent level (AA, A, B1, B2, C). Bigger programs have more teams, which usually means their upper-level teams are better, but that increases competition for roster spots. There's also some risk of politics, not pure talent, deciding who makes what team in the competitive programs. Jumping straight into a state where everyone seems to know each other and threatening to "steal" someone's roster spot can, sadly, be an issue.

While the community youth program/high schools are the focal point of the MN system, most if not all of the better players now play "AAA" in the offseason. There's a wide range of programs that claim the AAA label, though there's a definite hierarchy to them. There are a few options for AAA year-round, but they are still fairly rare and directed mostly at people who want to do hockey 24/7. Most players still go through the normal bantams/HS system, with the very best often leaving for junior hockey in the USHL a year or two before graduation.

The southwestern suburbs tend to be the wealthiest and, therefore, the best at hockey. (The two often go hand in hand.) Still, you can find a good program in just about any part of the metro area.

Here is more history about high school hockey in the Twin Cities metro area than you ever probably wanted to know: http://apatientcycle.com/2015/03/18/a-h ... ol-hockey/
rollCARDSroll

Post by rollCARDSroll »

Are you familiar with the state tournament?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwCYAI3eVeo

Want to have a great chance to play in it every year?

If those answers are yes, think further southwest......

http://luvernehockey.sportngin.com/

ROLL CARDS ROLL!!
xHockeyDadx

Post by xHockeyDadx »

karl(east) wrote:Some broader context:

Most high school freshmen, unless very talented or in a thin program, play bantam hockey. Each community (with some weird exceptions) has a youth program that lines up with the local public high school's boundaries, and bantam teams sorted by talent level (AA, A, B1, B2, C). Bigger programs have more teams, which usually means their upper-level teams are better, but that increases competition for roster spots. There's also some risk of politics, not pure talent, deciding who makes what team in the competitive programs. Jumping straight into a state where everyone seems to know each other and threatening to "steal" someone's roster spot can, sadly, be an issue.

While the community youth program/high schools are the focal point of the MN system, most if not all of the better players now play "AAA" in the offseason. There's a wide range of programs that claim the AAA label, though there's a definite hierarchy to them. There are a few options for AAA year-round, but they are still fairly rare and directed mostly at people who want to do hockey 24/7. Most players still go through the normal bantams/HS system, with the very best often leaving for junior hockey in the USHL a year or two before graduation.

The southwestern suburbs tend to be the wealthiest and, therefore, the best at hockey. (The two often go hand in hand.) Still, you can find a good program in just about any part of the metro area.

Here is more history about high school hockey in the Twin Cities metro area than you ever probably wanted to know: http://apatientcycle.com/2015/03/18/a-h ... ol-hockey/
Yes, I was wondering about the politics side of things too. We experienced some of this here just this year. A coach was trying to secure my sons place on his team (lower level) weeks before tryouts for AAA, AA and A had even happened. It became clear for the first time, tryouts were just a formality. I can say however, that we also learned that usually coaches would also leave some spots open all summer, and fill them just before the season in case someone new came to the area.
xHockeyDadx

Post by xHockeyDadx »

rollCARDSroll wrote:Are you familiar with the state tournament?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwCYAI3eVeo

Want to have a great chance to play in it every year?

If those answers are yes, think further southwest......

http://luvernehockey.sportngin.com/

ROLL CARDS ROLL!!
Thanks for this. Yes I have heard of the State Tournament! My first exposure to it was the Hockey of Hair videos. From the perspective of being immersed in hockey in the south for a few years, seeing more than 40 people in the stands is unusual HAHA! Thank you for the recommendation of luverne hockey.
Tenoverpar

f

Post by Tenoverpar »

2 cents...

1. Where are you or your wife going to work? The metro is a mess for traffic and if you work in Minneapolis you want to live on the west/south side of town, if you work in St Paul you want to live on the east/north side of town.

2. The big stud organizations and schools are extremely deep..the Wayzata's, Edina, Minnetonka, Eden Prairie...so go with caution if you decide to look at the state rankings in high school and pick a place to live based off of that

3. The schools around the metro are virtually all good schools and have high graduation rates with kids going all over the country to college (not talking about hockey), so almost anywhere you end up you will find a good public education....BUT if you can't there's a private school with a great hockey program a stones throw (or 30 miles) form virtually everyone.

4. LIke others have said...AAA hockey is a summer sport here...you'll find that many many many kids though just train at any of the 50 or so off season training locations through the summer where they play pickup hockey a lot and work out on hockey specific skills/weights etc.

Good luck in your move...
xHockeyDadx

Re: f

Post by xHockeyDadx »

Tenoverpar wrote:2 cents...

1. Where are you or your wife going to work? The metro is a mess for traffic and if you work in Minneapolis you want to live on the west/south side of town, if you work in St Paul you want to live on the east/north side of town.

2. The big stud organizations and schools are extremely deep..the Wayzata's, Edina, Minnetonka, Eden Prairie...so go with caution if you decide to look at the state rankings in high school and pick a place to live based off of that

3. The schools around the metro are virtually all good schools and have high graduation rates with kids going all over the country to college (not talking about hockey), so almost anywhere you end up you will find a good public education....BUT if you can't there's a private school with a great hockey program a stones throw (or 30 miles) form virtually everyone.

4. LIke others have said...AAA hockey is a summer sport here...you'll find that many many many kids though just train at any of the 50 or so off season training locations through the summer where they play pickup hockey a lot and work out on hockey specific skills/weights etc.

Good luck in your move...
Good points, and thanks. We have a lot of flexibility in terms of location. The "academic" topic, when it comes down to it, is really the most important factor. So far our investigation has been pushing us west and southwest of Minneapolis. But also we had been reading MN has many awesome schools. (very different than NC unfortunately). So this method of using AAA for summer development has come up a few times. This brings up the question of training during the winter season. Here, outside his regular team, our son has a private coach he has worked with for a couple years, on top of this, he has attended many skills camps, some lasting an entire season. Is it common for kids to be training outside their team during the season? Also, what skills camps are considered worthwhile in that area?
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

HornetsFan wrote:I'll bite, if you want the best schools/hockey programs, the west/southwest metro is the place to look (Edina, Minnetonka, Eden Prairie, Wayzata). You'll hear frequently on this forum about how awful/obnoxious/privelaged these places are, but don't listen to them. They are all excellent communities (the best, in my opinion) and a lot of the hate stems from jealously. Edina is one of the most storied and most successful high school programs in the history of the state, or at least one of the last relevant programs from the old guard, and they have the largest/most successful youth hockey program in the state (in addition to the best public school in the state). Tonka, EP and Wayzata are all similar in that same vein: great schools, passionate hockey communities, just great places to live.

With that being said, the competition to make the top teams in those cities is fierce, and many kids who could easily play on the varsity teams in surrounding cities are relegated to city hockey during the winter months.

I hope this helps you in your search for a place to call home, welcome to Minnesota!
Edina is not the best Public High School in the State. They received a Bronze national ranking, along with 175 other Minnesota Public High Schools. None received Gold. Those that received Silver are:

1. South St. Paul
2. Henry Senior High
3. Minnetonka
4. Fridley
5. Champlin Park

Source: US News and World Report

It's all pretty moot anyway. Academic success is mostly determined by the value placed on Education in the home, much more than what Public School you attend.
SouthernMinnFan

Post by SouthernMinnFan »

If your kid is really good and you have the money, there is no argument that Shattuck St Mary's is the best place for hockey in the country and it is 30 minutes south of the Twin Cities. They play Tier 1 AAA and are regular National Champions. They have had players like Sidney Crosby, Zach Parise, Kyle Okposo, countless others. Minnesota High School hockey is the best "high school hockey" in the country. Like previous posters have said, there are plenty of awful teams where kids never seem to develop and move on. Just make sure to talk to as many people as you can. Every circumstance is different, what is right for your family is unique.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Edina.

If your a private school type person - Hill.

If not the metro, then
Duluth East
Grand Rapids
Moorhead
Roseau

Theses are the best high school - youth organizations in Minnesota (not counting Shattuck... Shattuck does not participate in the MSHSL which will not give your son the opportunity to play in the state high school tournament - which is petty big thing if you are a hockey player)
xHockeyDadx

Post by xHockeyDadx »

elliott70 wrote:Edina.

If your a private school type person - Hill.

If not the metro, then
Duluth East
Grand Rapids
Moorhead
Roseau

Theses are the best high school - youth organizations in Minnesota (not counting Shattuck... Shattuck does not participate in the MSHSL which will not give your son the opportunity to play in the state high school tournament - which is petty big thing if you are a hockey player)
OK, cool. The state tournament is something he has interest in. I've been learning about the school divisions also (which does not exist in NC). HS hockey here is pooled by region, simply not enough players at an any school, and generally the skill level is not as high as travel.
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

At the base of it all, find a good community with a good commute to work.

EVERY city in town has a team and about 10 rinks within 10 miles of them. Don't pick a school because of hockey. EVERYONE has hockey.

BUT, if you are making hockey part of the decision, I'd look at teams that were top 15 ranked last year in Bantam AA. All of those teams will have a shot at a HS championship. Kids transfer out/get drafted every year from these programs leaving to play juniors. IF, this is important to the family, I'd stay away from the Edina, Minnetonka, Wayzata, and Maple Grove programs ... They. Are. Huge. Your son would have to be a phenom to supplant a life-long resident.

Ideas for what I would look at if I were moving in knowing what I know (alphabetically of course):

Bloomington Jefferson
Eden Prairie
Elk River
Prior Lake
St Michael/Albertville

***Again, just my thoughts and frankly i would make the decision based mostly on my drive to work. Besides the winter you've heard about, the other season we joke about having is road construction.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.