Section 1A 2015-2016

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Albert Lea
4%
La Crescent
No votes
Mankato West
33%
Northfield
33%
Rochester Lourdes
17%
Faribault
No votes
LeSeur - St Peter
No votes
Mankato East
4%
Waseca
8%

Total votes: 24

elliott70

Section 1A 2015-2016

Post by elliott70 »

No New Prague, so who wins?

Albert Lea High School
La Crescent High School
Mankato West High School
Northfield High School
Red Wing High School
Rochester Lourdes High School
Austin H.S.
Faribauly
LSHSPTCUC Bulldogs - Cleveland, LeSueur-Henderson, St. Peter, Tri-City
Mankato East/Loyola
Waseca Blue Jays
Winona/Cotter

Not enough room on poll for all of them.
Took Winona and Austin off just randomly.
BulldogNative

Post by BulldogNative »

With New Prague leaving section 1A, I believe this section is up for grabs for whoever comes ready to play come playoff time. Northfield is my favorite to make the trip to the X, but they also lost a goalie to Lakeville North which may hurt them a little bit.

Mankato East returns one of the top point leaders in the state, as well as a solid goalie, but you may need more than one line to make it into March. Their schedule is much stronger this year I believe which should be a good thing come sections for them, but I don't think they have the defense either.

Lourdes lost a great goalie, as well as some great senior talent. Although they have a couple young guns, who's going to keep the puck out of the net?

Albert Lea lost a lot of talent as well, don't know much about them besides they return Jack Pully who will need to lead the way for the Tigers.

Mankato West is most damaged in the loss of their goalie Wollenzein, as well as some forward talent in Langworthy and Klemme. They still have some top returners, but I haven't heard if Loe and Looft are returning to the Scarlets this year. If not, that's a huge loss and I don't see them making any sort of run. On the other hand though, them returning sets West up nice except for the same question as Lourdes, who's gonna keep the puck out of the net?

Just a couple thoughts on the top teams in the section.. Should be a fun year of Section 1A hockey. November can't come soon enough!
CornerBar

Post by CornerBar »

I'm putting my money on one of the Mankato schools this year. With New Prague now in section 2, I don't think there is any clear cut winner just going with a gut feeling. Northfield could challenge but with the loss of their goaltender to Lakeville they will be taking a tough blow. The Lourdes could make some noise as well but they'll need some help in net to get back to the X.
BulldogNative

Post by BulldogNative »

CornerBar wrote:I'm putting my money on one of the Mankato schools this year. With New Prague now in section 2, I don't think there is any clear cut winner just going with a gut feeling. Northfield could challenge but with the loss of their goaltender to Lakeville they will be taking a tough blow. The Lourdes could make some noise as well but they'll need some help in net to get back to the X.
Do you think Red Wing could potentially surprise some people this year? They always seem to be tough and hard working regardless of who they play.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

BulldogNative wrote:
CornerBar wrote:I'm putting my money on one of the Mankato schools this year. With New Prague now in section 2, I don't think there is any clear cut winner just going with a gut feeling. Northfield could challenge but with the loss of their goaltender to Lakeville they will be taking a tough blow. The Lourdes could make some noise as well but they'll need some help in net to get back to the X.
Do you think Red Wing could potentially surprise some people this year? They always seem to be tough and hard working regardless of who they play.
Red Wing will be in the middle of the pack. Lost a couple players on the offensive end. They'll likely have a new goalie; I doubt that the backups from last year will be starting. The program has lacked depth for the past few years. They'll be hardworking, but I'd be surprised if they're in contention at the end of the season.
BulldogNative

Post by BulldogNative »

After a couple days of thinking hard 8) I'm putting my money on Northfield to take it all this year.
BulldogNative

Post by BulldogNative »

Is anyone surprised by the 7-2 Albert Lea over Mankato East score? Just want to hear some thoughts
Tower power93

Tough section

Post by Tower power93 »

Tight section early on . Lourdes hockey is out, that I know. Given up six goals or more in every game. Goalie graduated last year and now have two terrible goalies fighting for job, both have save percentage below .800. No big time goal scorers. Every other team looks like they have a shot.
Tower power93

Post by Tower power93 »

Lourdes is certainly not the team to beat this year. I think we are looking at a Mankato west team to take the section. Going to see northfield for the first time this year tonight and see how they measure up.
CornerBar

Post by CornerBar »

Tower power93 wrote:Lourdes is certainly not the team to beat this year. I think we are looking at a Mankato west team to take the section. Going to see northfield for the first time this year tonight and see how they measure up.
West will get a tough test this weekend when they head up to St. Cloud to take on #3 Apollo and #9 Cathedral. We should know a lot more about this team next week.
Jim9000

Post by Jim9000 »

Any upsets tonight?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Class A - Section 1 Boys Hockey
La Crescent (9) vs Austin ( 8 )
at Austin 7:00 PM

Winona (12) vs Red Wing (5)
at Red Wing 7:00 PM

Faribault (10) vs Albert Lea (7)
at Albert Lea 7:00 PM

Waseca (11) vs LSHSPTCUC (6)
at LeSueur 7:00 PM
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

My cousin's grandson plays for LSHSPTCUCDEFGHIJKLMNOP, so I hope they win a couple in the section at least.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

C-dad wrote:My cousin's grandson plays for LSHSPTCUCDEFGHIJKLMNOP, so I hope they win a couple in the section at least.
LSHSPTCUC

Is this Ojibway or Sioux?
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

Jim9000 wrote:Any upsets tonight?
I think the high seed will win all the games tonight. That said though, I wouldn't be surprised if all the games - minus Red Wing vs Winona - are at fairly competitive. But I guess they're now rivals too... :roll: So who knows.
Jim9000

Post by Jim9000 »

Only 1 minor upset in round 1....

Qtrs have any possible surprises?

Could be some good games tonight.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

I'm interested to see how LSP does against Lourdes. The Red Wing - Mankato East game should be good as well.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Saturday Feb 20th
11:30
#1 Northfield vs #4 Mankato East

2:00
#2 Mankato West vs #6 LSHSPTCUC

5:30
#1 Lakeville North vs #4 John Marshall

8:00
#2 Farmington vs #3 Lakeville South

There is a massive construction project going on at the Rec Center and there is very little on site parking, maybe 300 spots, get there early. At least there is no swim meet this year.
thespellchecker

Post by thespellchecker »

goldy313 wrote:Saturday Feb 20th
11:30
#1 Northfield vs #4 Mankato East

2:00
#2 Mankato West vs #6 LSHSPTCUC

5:30
#1 Lakeville North vs #4 John Marshall

8:00
#2 Farmington vs #3 Lakeville South

There is a massive construction project going on at the Rec Center and there is very little on site parking, maybe 300 spots, get there early. At least there is no swim meet this year.
Maybe they could add a little Bernie Sanders or Mrs Clinton rally in the lot. It is to be balmy. Time to move this section semi and final.
8-TIME weekly & 2-Time Season Pick Em Champ
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

I'm somewhat surprised at how far apart the scores have been so far... I figured the seeds 5-12 would play each other closer. Apparently there's a huge disparity.
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

C-dad wrote:My cousin's grandson plays for LSHSPTCUCDEFGHIJKLMNOP, so I hope they win a couple in the section at least.
Hey, they're still going! Good luck to the Bulldogs Saturday!
nahc

Post by nahc »

Goldy, good luck to Farmington tomorrow!!!

GO PANTHERS!!

Where's SATs?!!!!
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

2 fairly one sided games as was kind of expected. Nice crowd, West had a good number of students snd cheered throughout, LSH et.al. had a good number of fans as well. The Bulldogs just didn't have the legs and left their goalie, who is very good, out to dry a few too many times in the second period with the long change. Northfield is solid up and down the roster. Schulz had a few opportunities but they were few and far between. Judd had nice career at East and will be moving up the ladder I would assume. He's always been a player you look forward to seeing.

It should be a good final on Wednesday, with the two best teams.