Richfield HS Hockey Folded?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Oldcoach63

Richfield HS Hockey Folded?

Post by Oldcoach63 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:42 am

Sad day if the rumor is true, though obviously the writing has been on the wall for a long time. I heard a rumor that only 11 or 12 players came out and a couple got minors. Not enough to play with 11 - 12 players and certainly too few to sustain any injuries or suspensions. They haven't had a JV since 08-09.

Great tradition in the hey day of the first ring suburbs. Steve Christoff, Darby and Dan Hendrickson, Damien Rhodes, Dave Shute, Tom Ward, Troy Jutting, Tim Thomas, Brett Hauer, and countless D3 players and youth and college coaches came from Richfield. Great coaching back in the day with the likes of Jake McCoy, Mike Thomas, Larry Hendrickson and many more. That's all just off the top of my head and I know there are many more. Breaks my heart.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:45 am

Wow, terrible if true. I predict we will see the same with Burnsville in next decade or so. Sad.

Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:40 pm

This is too bad. I still can remember the 1976 State Team...they were fun to watch. For all you young skaters today, Richfield was one of the teams to beat in the 60's, 70''s, 80's and early 90's. How things change.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:08 pm

"Charlie don't surf!"

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:15 pm

I have not been to the rink since Saturday so I do not know if it is true or not, will find out tomorrow. Yes I am a Holy Angels fan, probably the biggest. But, I have worked at the Richfield Ice Arena for over 19 years, my two kids went through the Richfield School system, my daughter was part of the girls program prior to them joining AHA. The Richfield program has been a big part of my life and will miss the program. This years seniors are left out without a senior year or recognition. But the program will always be there and be a part of the building. A lot of real good kids and players, coaches and families have come through here. They will be missed.

greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:36 pm

Always sad to see a once good program come to an end. This is similar to what is happening at North St. Paul. They still have a team, but their youth program is now combined with Johnson. The demographics are changing at North but not to the degree that it has happened at Richfield. I still blame the former high school coach for the decline of hockey at North.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:42 pm

I wonder if they explored forming a co-op?

green4

Post by green4 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:46 pm

It is sad to see the program go. I was born in Richfield and lived there until my mom decided that Edina was a better step for education. My mom grew up on the east side of Richfield and I have heard amazing stories about the rivalry between Richfield and Edina. My favorite might be when my aunt was in high school, at one of the hockey games she went over to the Edina section and kicked in the drum from the pep band.
Very sad to see it go.

Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:08 pm

Sad deal and my how quick things change. Will this result in a co-op with Kennedy and could it push that program to AA? Doesn't seem right but this doesn't stop the MSHSL from making poor decisions (for example 7 teams in section 2AA).

lovethisgame

Post by lovethisgame » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:44 pm

Sats81 wrote:Wow, terrible if true. I predict we will see the same with Burnsville in next decade or so. Sad.
Why do you say this?

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:21 am

lovethisgame wrote:
Sats81 wrote:Wow, terrible if true. I predict we will see the same with Burnsville in next decade or so. Sad.
Why do you say this?
"Charlie don't surf!"

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:24 am

lovethisgame wrote:
Why do you say this?
Their youth programs numbers are extremely low and the teams are not very competitive. Bantams have 4 teams, Pee Wees only 3 and Squirts only 3. The demographics have changed drastically in the last 5-7 yrs. Most young families looking for homes in the area want to be in Lakeville or Savage/Prior Lake because of the schools. I think after the next 1-2 yrs at the HS level is when you are really going to see them take a hit. The Boeser, Sheehy, Kivihalme, Ahcan group is likely their last that had a real chance to do something. Sad, as this was at one time a very strong, proud program that was definitely amongst the state's best.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:43 am

Sats81 wrote:
lovethisgame wrote:
Why do you say this?
Their youth programs numbers are extremely low and the teams are not very competitive. Bantams have 4 teams, Pee Wees only 3 and Squirts only 3. The demographics have changed drastically in the last 5-7 yrs. Most young families looking for homes in the area want to be in Lakeville or Savage/Prior Lake because of the schools. I think after the next 1-2 yrs at the HS level is when you are really going to see them take a hit. The Boeser, Sheehy, Kivihalme, Ahcan group is likely their last that had a real chance to do something. Sad, as this was at one time a very strong, proud program that was definitely amongst the state's best.
population change prefer soccer ball to hockey puck.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:53 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
lovethisgame wrote:
Why do you say this?
population change prefer soccer ball to hockey puck.
LOL!!! :lol: :lol:

freighttrain

Post by freighttrain » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:12 pm

Heard the same news last night. Word is a nearby Jr Gold team got asked to take the kids that want to play still.

dlow

Post by dlow » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:11 pm

what happens to teams that have them scheduled? Any chance for them to make up these games?

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:56 pm

dlow wrote:what happens to teams that have them scheduled? Any chance for them to make up these games?
They need to reach out to the other teams that also lost a game because of this.

R.I.P. Richfield Hockey

WendyClark

Post by WendyClark » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:18 pm

This trend is following Cedar Ave South, Richfield almost done and Kennedy on the downward, burnsville in 10 years, Apple Valley in 15 years then Lakeville in 20 years

Hey Sats, you better get back to West Bloomington sooner than later :shock:

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:38 pm

WendyClark wrote:This trend is following Cedar Ave South, Richfield almost done and Kennedy on the downward, burnsville in 10 years, Apple Valley in 15 years then Lakeville in 20 years

Hey Sats, you better get back to West Bloomington sooner than later :shock:
Wendy. I knew this post would get you back on the forum. I never left west Bloomington boss! #Jags4Life

JSR

Post by JSR » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:30 pm

Sats81 wrote:
lovethisgame wrote:
Why do you say this?
Wow, funny how relative everything is. Down here in southern WI where I live if you had 4 bantam teams, three pee wee and three squirts your high school coaches would be salivating at "how much depth and talent" would be hitting the high school in a few years. Most high school varsity programs down here are fed by youth programs with 1 to 2 bantam teams, 2 to 3 pee wee and 2 to 3 squirts. And most of the pee wee and squirt teams usually have 11 to 12 players on them, not 15 to 17.... just sayin ... Here is an example (this is not my town), but go to this association website http://www.westmadisonpolarcaps.com/ , this association is maybe the biggest in Dane county give or take and is expected to feed 2 public high school programs and a few players that attend a certain private school that has a varsity program as well....

57special

Post by 57special » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:40 pm

yet there is one sophomore kid open enrolled at Edina(since grade 1, not just for hockey) who lives in Richfield that would be a top HS player for them... he's a maybe for the EHS Varsity.

Kind of sad, not blaming kid or family. There are many kids would be an easy add to many HS teams, but have quit Edina hockey because they figure there is no chance at EHS.

You would think there could be something like they have in soccer, a player "loan" from haves to have nots.

green4

Post by green4 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:52 pm

57special wrote:yet there is one sophomore kid open enrolled at Edina(since grade 1, not just for hockey) who lives in Richfield that would be a top HS player for them... he's a maybe for the EHS Varsity.

Kind of sad, not blaming kid or family. There are many kids would be an easy add to many HS teams, but have quit Edina hockey because they figure there is no chance at EHS.

You would think there could be something like they have in soccer, a player "loan" from haves to have nots.
Well, if that is the case then maybe we will see an increase of players coming through Richfield since Edina closed off open enrollment a few years back. Richfield has a co-op with Kennedy at the youth level. They have one bantam and one pee-wee team, but 4 squirt teams. So maybe that is something to look forward to.

Oldcoach63

Post by Oldcoach63 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:02 pm

There's also a Richfield kid at Kennedy and another at Holy Angels. There were two at Jefferson the last few years. I believe the one at Kennedy likely left Richfield because what just happened was inevitable. The Edina kid left for the school system early on.

Many high schools lose tons of kids from the their feeder associations. Minneapolis has a great feeder program and are finally keeping the top kids for the public high school team. They used to get maybe two from their top Bantam team and the rest go private. They are now getting more than half including their top scorers from the last couple of years.

The Richfield situation is a bit complex but really comes down to demographics. It's still a great community with great families (IMHO). The hockey families that are left high and dry are into it as much as most families from the MN hockey community. Just not enough of the hockey culture left from the old days.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:15 pm

Oldcoach63 wrote:There's also a Richfield kid at Kennedy and another at Holy Angels. There were two at Jefferson the last few years. I believe the one at Kennedy likely left Richfield because what just happened was inevitable. The Edina kid left for the school system early on.

Many high schools lose tons of kids from the their feeder associations. Minneapolis has a great feeder program and are finally keeping the top kids for the public high school team. They used to get maybe two from their top Bantam team and the rest go private. They are now getting more than half including their top scorers from the last couple of years.

The Richfield situation is a bit complex but really comes down to demographics. It's still a great community with great families (IMHO). The hockey families that are left high and dry are into it as much as most families from the MN hockey community. Just not enough of the hockey culture left from the old days.
Which I think is very similar to what is happening and inevitably will be the demise of Burnsville Hockey as well. Hard to see that in the heyday of the mid 80's-early 90s. #Braves

TheMayor

Post by TheMayor » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:30 pm

green4 wrote:since Edina closed off open enrollment a few years back.
Edina closed open enrollment for a very short time, it is no longer closed. Many may not like it, but the school board likes the additional money they get from the state.