Wayzata Turkey Trot

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Poll

Edina
73%
Wayzata
12%
Holy Family
8%
Maple Grove
8%

Total votes: 26

karl(east)

Wayzata Turkey Trot

Post by karl(east) »

Always a fun way to start the season...I'll probably make my way out to Plymouth for Friday's games. Edina is Edina, but we'll see how these new-look Hornets are. Wayzata has potential but has to pull things together, Maple Grove has a new coach and is trying to rebound from a lost season, and Holy Family is trying to show they have the depth to make this interesting. Any thoughts?
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

If Garin was playing against Edina, I would pick HF over Edina. Should be two even games. HF has a good squad this year and I don't see an 8 goal victory for Edina like past years even without Garin. As to Maple Grove/Wayzata, I see this being another close game. Who wins it all? Heads Edina....tails MG/Wayzata winner. GB
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Almquist out also for HM
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

edgeless2 wrote:Almquist out also for HM
HM is not playing in the tourney.
Even with Garin, HF does not beat Edina. Not yet...
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Zamman wrote:
edgeless2 wrote:Almquist out also for HM
HM is not playing in the tourney.
Even with Garin, HF does not beat Edina. Not yet...
Ahh those damn privates and their acronyms get me again. Ben Almquist top 6 F for HOLY FAMILY is out all w/e. Good enough?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Edina wins this thing...possibly running time in 1 of 2 games
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Sats81 wrote:Edina wins this thing...possibly running time in 1 of 2 games
"Cake"walk for Edina, no question! :wink:
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Who said northern Beltrami County folk do not have a sense of humor.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Running time? How's that looking? Could still win big but HF had better scoring opportunities in the first.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Scoreless after 1. Sogs 4 to 3 in favor of HOrnets. Both offenses look tentative, difficulty breaking out puck and organizing the attack through the neutral zone. Which is good for the Fire, if they can keep it close they always have a chance.

There is good livestream feed at:

http://livestream.com/accounts/7612/events/4520798
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

edgeless2 wrote:
Running time? How's that looking? Could still win big but HF had better scoring opportunities in the first.
Typical hockey guy. Games are done after 1 period hah?
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Sats81 wrote:
edgeless2 wrote:
Relax just pointing out absurdity of a running time game. U can dish. Learn how to take.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

1 to 0 in favor of Edina. Goal followed a spectacular wraparound assist by Malmquist junior. SOGS 14 to 11 Hornets. Boe and DeGrood both look capable. Almquist has had some good opportunities for the Fire. The four Edina Super 99s have been pretty quiet.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Hornets win 3 to 1 including empty netter. Sogs 22 to 19. Great effort by Fire without Garin. Again, Hornet super 99s were pretty quiet while others stepped up like Dornbach and Malmquist Jr. Michelson and Tabor looked good on D. Almquist for the Fire, and Marooney had a couple breakaways.
Last edited by WestMetro on Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

edgeless2 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
edgeless2 wrote: Running time? How's that looking? Could still win big but HF had better scoring opportunities in the first.
Relax just pointing out absurdity of a running time game. U can dish. Learn how to take.
Not all that absurd considering score of game last year, and the entire mn hockey worlds tendency to greatly overrate HF.

Shane Gersich still play? :D
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Sats81 wrote:
edgeless2 wrote:
Sats81 wrote: Typical hockey guy. Games are done after 1 period hah?
Not all that absurd considering score of game last year, and the entire mn hockey worlds tendency to greatly overrate HF.

Point taken I would just say this isn't the past few years Edina squad. I just think you may have them a bit to high. R U at home watching second game? PM me I'll bring down some beers I live right down the street.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

edgeless2 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
edgeless2 wrote: Relax just pointing out absurdity of a running time game. U can dish. Learn how to take.

Point taken I would just say this isn't the past few years Edina squad. I just think you may have them a bit to high. R U at home watching second game? PM me I'll bring down some beers I live right down the street.

Trust me, I don't LIKE Edina! Like I've said over and over though I respect the hell out of Giles and their program.

In Sioux city tonight watching some USHL.

Live down street? West Bloomington or north Lakeville?!
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Sats81 wrote:
edgeless2 wrote:
Sats81 wrote: Not all that absurd considering score of game last year, and the entire mn hockey worlds tendency to greatly overrate HF.

Trust me, I don't LIKE Edina! Like I've said over and over though I respect the hell out of Giles and their program.

In Sioux city tonight watching some USHL.

Live down street? West Bloomington or north Lakeville?!
Crestwood
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

WestMetro wrote:1 to 0 in favor of Edina. Goal followed a spectacular wraparound assist by Malmquist junior. SOGS 14 to 11 Hornets. Boe and DeGrood both look capable. Almquist has had some good opportunities for the Fire. The four Edina Super 99s have been pretty quiet.
As I watched that wrap around...It was far from spectacular. Moe made a great save on the wrap around and lost view of the puck and it looked liked it was accidentally poked in by the hornets on the rebound. Bascially a garbage goal. But Moe did a great job for HF. I thought HF did have more chances through the first 2 periods, for sure.

Fun game to watch. Edina did have more control, but not by much
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Malmquist made a great effort to hold the edge on the wraparound back of net and put the puck on Moes blade in the corner , ultimately resulting in the well deserved assist. Yes good initial save by Moe but couldnt control the puck.

You are correct, a much more even game than all pundits would have predicted, and thats without WG.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Fun night at the PIC, with the rollicking second game making up for a fairly flat and sloppy opener. Great energy in the arena for the nightcap, with two big student sections and a pretty full house. It's great to be back at it!

It's game one and there are a lot of new bodies, so I don't want to read too deeply into it, but Edina looked pretty mortal. There were only hints of the usual Edina precision, though they did happen more and more later in the game. I doubt the current lines will last. Dornbach needs to be with at least one of the skill players currently on the "second" line (Sheerer-Walker-Copeland) to make a difference. The defense and goaltending had some shaky moments but got the job done in the end.

Hard to say much on Holy Family without Garin, though a line of him with Reddan and Rock would put up some big numbers. There's the usual depth question here, but they did a reasonably good job of bottling up Edina and making things interesting.

Wayzata was probably the most interesting team on the night. They were noticeably more open than last year, which I think is a positive development. Coupled with their usual physical play and shot blocking, it makes them fun to watch. They had three good lines and a lot of offensive zone time, though that didn't always translate into great chances. Colin Schmidt managed to score on each of his first two varsity shifts. One main area of concern: they can still be undisciplined, as penalties allowed Maple Grove back into things and resulted in an ejection. Schilling did not look right after an injury late in the 3rd, and that bears watching. But if he's good to go, I think they have a very good shot at beating the Hornets tomorrow night.

Maple Grove, after a lost season last year, should be back among the teams to watch. Sam Huff was one of the best players on the ice, and they did a good job of hanging with Wayzata's physicality and hanging tough. Goodman made some nice saves in net, too. I'm curious to see how they progress.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

elliott70 wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Who said northern Beltrami County folk do not have a sense of humor.
Comes with wearing flannel 10 months of the year :lol:
GraniteCity22

Post by GraniteCity22 »

karl(east) wrote:Fun night at the PIC, with the rollicking second game making up for a fairly flat and sloppy opener. Great energy in the arena for the nightcap, with two big student sections and a pretty full house. It's great to be back at it!

It's game one and there are a lot of new bodies, so I don't want to read too deeply into it, but Edina looked pretty mortal. There were only hints of the usual Edina precision, though they did happen more and more later in the game. I doubt the current lines will last. Dornbach needs to be with at least one of the skill players currently on the "second" line (Sheerer-Walker-Copeland) to make a difference. The defense and goaltending had some shaky moments but got the job done in the end.

Hard to say much on Holy Family without Garin, though a line of him with Reddan and Rock would put up some big numbers. There's the usual depth question here, but they did a reasonably good job of bottling up Edina and making things interesting.

Wayzata was probably the most interesting team on the night. They were noticeably more open than last year, which I think is a positive development. Coupled with their usual physical play and shot blocking, it makes them fun to watch. They had three good lines and a lot of offensive zone time, though that didn't always translate into great chances. Colin Schmidt managed to score on each of his first two varsity shifts. One main area of concern: they can still be undisciplined, as penalties allowed Maple Grove back into things and resulted in an ejection. Schilling did not look right after an injury late in the 3rd, and that bears watching. But if he's good to go, I think they have a very good shot at beating the Hornets tomorrow night.

Maple Grove, after a lost season last year, should be back among the teams to watch. Sam Huff was one of the best players on the ice, and they did a good job of hanging with Wayzata's physicality and hanging tough. Goodman made some nice saves in net, too. I'm curious to see how they progress.
What lead to the ejection? And who was Dornbach playing with?
GraniteCity22

Post by GraniteCity22 »

karl(east) wrote:Fun night at the PIC, with the rollicking second game making up for a fairly flat and sloppy opener. Great energy in the arena for the nightcap, with two big student sections and a pretty full house. It's great to be back at it!

What lead to the ejection? And who was Dornbach playing with?
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

Dornbach with Tucker and Malmquist