St. Louis Park Classic matchups announced

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Which team has the best chance to win all three games?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:42 pm

Benilde
33%
Lakeville North
20%
Holy Family
20%
Moorhead
7%
Prior Lake
13%
Maple Grove
7%

Total votes: 15

HockeyonFire

St. Louis Park Classic matchups announced

Post by HockeyonFire »

SLP Classic 2015-16
Teams: Elk River, Benilde, Holy Family, Prior Lake, Moorhead, Lakeville North, Maple Grove, Stillwater

Two years ago on December 26, 2013 the state of hockey noticed a trio of brothers named the Poehlings as Lakeville North defeated Eden Prairie 7-0. Since then, Lakeville North has won 39 regular season games and lost only once. What team and what players have a break out performance at this year's SLP Classic? The field has expanded this year from SIX to EIGHT teams!

**All games at Benilde's SLP Arena.
***Wayzata is not in the tournament this year while Stillwater, Maple Grove and Elk River join the field.

Dec. 28
Elk River vs. Prior Lake 12 pm
Moorhead vs. Maple Grove 2:30 pm
Holy Family vs. Stillwater 5 p.m.
BSM vs. Lakeville North 7:30 p.m.

Dec. 29
Stillwater vs. Maple Grove 12 pm
Holy Family vs. Lakeville North 2:30 pm
BSM vs. Elk River 5 p.m.
Moorhead vs. Prior Lake 7:30 p.m.

Dec. 30
Stillwater vs. Moorhead 12:00 pm
Holy Family vs. Prior Lake 2:30 pm
BSM vs. Maple Grove 5 p.m.
Elk River vs. Lakeville North 7:30 p.m.

Which TEAM wins all three games THIS YEAR????
Last edited by HockeyonFire on Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheMNhockey1

Post by TheMNhockey1 »

Stillwater
green4

Post by green4 »

Kind of hard to predict who will do what when it is a month away. Some teams haven't even played a game yet, and none have really given us an identity yet for this year.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Grand Rapids
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

mulefarm wrote:Grand Rapids
They already won state. Of course they win this, whether they are in it or not!
team22tank

Post by team22tank »

Prior Lake. Prior Lake will also win the South Suburban.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

team22tank wrote:Prior Lake. Prior Lake will also win the South Suburban.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Are you referring to Prior Lake with your screen identity? A team of 22 tanking? Until PL can win at the high school level I'd think they are a more likely 3rd or 4th in the SSC. Simply under achieved last year and there stars didn't shine in the 'Elite' league.
team22tank

Post by team22tank »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Are you referring to Prior Lake with your screen identity? A team of 22 tanking? Until PL can win at the high school level I'd think they are a more likely 3rd or 4th in the SSC. Simply under achieved last year and there stars didn't shine in the 'Elite' league.
Yes I am aware of their history. It is a prediction, I'm not putting money on it just making a call. I think the SSC has good parity but I don't think it is deep enough with real good teams for them to finish 4th. LVN will be up there after that it will be a crap shoot. Burnsville is doing what they do each year so far, play a loaded schedule non conference, lose those games but look pretty competitive. LS, we will see. EV is very, very young, will be very good next year. Those are my top 4, PL, LVN, Brn, LS/EV.
Bayside Tigers

Post by Bayside Tigers »

Is it strange to have an 8 team tournament, and have it scheduled as somewhat of a round-robin and not bracketed?
Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone »

I can see Holy Family win 3.
HockeyonFire

Post by HockeyonFire »

Defensive Zone wrote:I can see Holy Family win 3.
Good pick Defensive Zone :) However I wish HF would play Benilde this year. Would be an interesting game.
HockeyonFire

Post by HockeyonFire »

Fun to see what people posted in the past. And the winner of the poll question was Holy Family :) only team to win 3 games and are the Sports Authority Classic Champs! Ethan Mesler is only a junior and should be among the top-10 mr. hockey favorites for next year and Matty Anderson is the best AA defenseman next to Hibbing (A) Scott Perunovich...Also HF's Jared Moe showed everyone that came to see Stillwater vs. HF and PL vs. HF that he is the best goalie in the state and is only a sophomore :)

2AA Champs
Nice to see Chanhassen also champs of the Rochester JM Tourney
EP wins the Schwan Gold
Minnetonka runner-up for Gold
[/u]
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

HockeyonFire wrote:Fun to see what people posted in the past. And the winner of the poll question was Holy Family :) only team to win 3 games and are the Sports Authority Classic Champs! Ethan Mesler is only a junior and should be among the top-10 mr. hockey favorites for next year and Matty Anderson is the best AA defenseman next to Hibbing (A) Scott Perunovich...Also HF's Jared Moe showed everyone that came to see Stillwater vs. HF and PL vs. HF that he is the best goalie in the state and is only a sophomore :)

2AA Champs
EP wins the Schwan Gold
[/u]
Don't get too excited about your Fire there Aaron/Super Fan.

They won't even be at the X.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Have they ever played the state tournament in Dec?
HILARY2016

Post by HILARY2016 »

HockeyonFire wrote:Fun to see what people posted in the past. And the winner of the poll question was Holy Family :) only team to win 3 games and are the Sports Authority Classic Champs! Ethan Mesler is only a junior and should be among the top-10 mr. hockey favorites for next year and Matty Anderson is the best AA defenseman next to Hibbing (A) Scott Perunovich...Also HF's Jared Moe showed everyone that came to see Stillwater vs. HF and PL vs. HF that he is the best goalie in the state and is only a sophomore :)

2AA Champs
EP wins the Schwan Gold
[/u]
Insert and will be gone after this year, will be gone after this year, and will be gone after next year.
blueblood

Holiday tourney

Post by blueblood »

2AA was solid during the Holiday tourneys
Hockeyfan6969

Post by Hockeyfan6969 »

2AA Champs
EP wins the Schwan Gold
[/u]
To give Ethan a bid for Mr. hockey would be a smack in the face to everyone that came before him and won the award . Players up for nomination should have played 3 years and bantams or 4 + years at their respective high school
Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone »

2AA Champs
EP wins the Schwan Gold
[/u]
I saw HF play a few times this year and I just like the way they played the game...Great game instincts. HF reminds me of the DE team about 4 years ago. Good players in all positions (depth).
HockeyonFire

Post by HockeyonFire »

"I saw HF play a few times this year and I just like the way they played the game...Great game instincts. HF reminds me of the DE team about 4 years ago. Good players in all positions (depth)."

Then you are a great hockey mind Defensive Zone:)
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Yes I was impressed by Fire over the three days.

One of the top 10 pure goal scorers in the last 5 years.

And one of top AA goalies, if not two. Along with a top Dman.

Decent enough depth to hold off 3 other top ten teams in three days

I agree with the 4th ranking , but to me there is quite a drop off between the top 3 and next bunch incl the Fire

One thing I noticed was several undisciplined penalties which is something to work on, cause can cost the game in late Feb or March