Section 2AA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HockeyonFire

Section 2AA

Post by HockeyonFire » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:04 pm

Eden Prairie is the top team in this section hands down. However, here are some scenarios good or bad that if play out could either be disastrous or helpful to each of these teams.

12/9 This week-

1. EP (4-0)
+ clearly has the most difficult schedule of any of the 2aa teams behind them, has arguably the best tandem in the state besides Noterrman-Tufte and can run the table with wins against Minnetonka and already has a win against Prior Lake. Cole Lawrence and Nolan Sullivan are the backbone to this team.

- Has the most challenging schedule and could forseeably lose twice to Benilde, three to edina, grand rapids, elk river, duluth east, at blaine/burnsville/sta and be in a bad spot in the section IF ep loses twice to Minnetonka then Tonka gets #1. ONLY plays three section games that don't help during seeding.

2. HFC (5-2)
+ plays and defeats all the teams they should including a section game against Prior Lake in the SLP Tourney. Already staked their claim to #2 by defeating Minnetonka. Played Edina tight to a tee and Breck the closest anyone has yet this season by losing in ot at breck. Has a really tough remaining non-conference slate that could keep them at #2 easily with ROAD wins over STA, twice against Stillwater, Grand rapids, and neutral site wins against LN and a critical section game against Prior Lake.

- Loses the section game to prior lake and makes it challenging to place Tonka/PL/HFC and HF gets in the #4 spot in another semi against EP at small Braemar rink. Should schedule Chan in the future for another section win.

3. Tonka (2-2)
+ plays Chanhassen and EP twice and if they win any of those 2 against EP could easily slide into the #2 spot. Already won at STA, not sure how much weight that will carry this year however. K'andre miller is a stud.

- also has a impossible schedule that awaits with only assured wins against Chan, BJ, Centennial, Totino, Holy Angels and Blake. Could be 8-17 by the end of the year due to that schedule. Loses to Chanhassen on the road and could fall to as far as #5 if that happens. Doesn't play Prior lake so we don't know who is better.

4. PL (2-1)
+ played EP and even though they lost it looks good on a resume. Has a great scoring duo of Jutting-Fellows and good goaltending with Scites. Could leap Minnetonka and Holy family for #2 if they win against HFC in the SLP tourney and Tonka loses twice to ep. Also plays Chan at home so they can assure themselves of at least #4.

- Could lose to Chan by playing them and could fall to as far as #5. Plays a difficult LS team this week that only has played one game- Holy family and lost 4-0 via blowout. (Common opponents is key in seeding).

5. Chanhassen (3-2)
+ the best case scenario for Chan is to win against Prior lake on the road and at home against Minnetonka while pulling off the most miraculous win ever at or against Benilde during the year and getting to #3 in the 2aa standings. Could still beat Tonka at home, win the games they should win while Tonka goes 9 wins or lower and Chan gets #4.

- Worst case scenario is since they decided to play Tonka, PL, Chaska and Shakopee they lose all four games and fall to #7 OR beat Minnetonka but lose to some terrible teams they have scheduled and still fall to #5.

6. Shakopee (IDK)
+ plays Prior lake twice and chan to see if they can compete in the sections. Plays in a good conference to help them prepare for sections

- no way do they get to #5 and at best go to #6. losing 10-1 to LN is terrible and so they are.

7. Chaska (IDK)
+ there is no plus...maybe a win against their only scheduled section opponent Chanhassen gets them to #6.

- terrible scheduling, first year in aa means a 7 seed is a lock right about now.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:32 pm

Nice job. Not bad for a Catholic boy.

FadedRedLine

Post by FadedRedLine » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:46 pm

HockeyonFire

Post by HockeyonFire » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:41 pm

elliott70 wrote:Nice job. Not bad for a Catholic boy.
who is a catholic boy? I just tell it like it is like for example Holy Family's Will Garin is tied for first in Class 2A with 9 goals, Matt Anderson leads all defenseman in 2A with 10 points, Jared Moe leads all of Class 2A starting goalies with a 0.75 GAA.
Last edited by HockeyonFire on Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HockeyonFire

Post by HockeyonFire » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:46 pm

FadedRedLine wrote:This literally just happened -

http://media.photobucket.com/user/Rayst ... ort=1&o=18
I still think BSM's (at burnsville, at hill, at grand rapids) , Blaine's (edina win) & Duluth East (wayzata win) resume is more deserving of Number ONE AT THIS POINT IN TIME because of WHO THEY PLAYED SO FAR than handing EP #1 just because of Mittelstadt and Graham when EP only beat CDH, MG, Farmington and Prior Lake

green4

Post by green4 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:30 pm

HockeyonFire wrote:
who is a catholic boy? I just tell it like it is like for example Holy Family's Will Garin is tied for first in Class 2A with 9 goals, Matt Anderson leads all defenseman in 2A with 10 points, Jared Moe leads all of Class 2A starting goalies with a 0.75 GAA.
Man, you are defensive. I noticed you slipped in the losses that Holy Family has to justify their ranking again.
I also don't think Holy Family is so much better than Prior Lake that you can conclude that the Fire should win that game.

HockeyonFire

Post by HockeyonFire » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:39 pm

green4 wrote:
HockeyonFire wrote:
Man, you are defensive. I noticed you slipped in the losses that Holy Family has to justify their ranking again.
I also don't think Holy Family is so much better than Prior Lake that you can conclude that the Fire should win that game.
4-1 Holy Family win over PL last year in the only ever meeting to help us know who is better. PL hosts Lakeville South this week so we can get a glimpse as to who is better. What do you mean by "slipped in the losses"? HF's ranking is justified by Karl 11, FollowthePuck 11, & LPH 13. My ranking of 9 is because I don't believe Grand Rapids or Bemidji is deserving of being better yet until they beat a quality top-10 2A team or in Bemidji's case play one

green4

Post by green4 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:24 pm

HockeyonFire wrote:
green4 wrote:
HockeyonFire wrote:
What do you mean by "slipped in the losses"? HF's ranking is justified by Karl 11, FollowthePuck 11, & LPH 13. My ranking of 9 is because I don't believe Grand Rapids or Bemidji is deserving of being better yet until they beat a quality top-10 2A team or in Bemidji's case play one
What I mean is, this is the 2nd time I've seen you trying to justify Holy Family's ranking by listing off their close losses.
"Played Edina tight to a tee and Breck the closest anyone has yet this season by losing in ot at breck."
In reality, you are just contradicting yourself. You don't think Grand Rapids is worthy of being in the top 10 until they beat another top 10 team?! Who has Holy Family beat? Minnetonka and Maple grove, a couple of teams ranked between 15-20. Grand rapids beat Tonka too, and by the score, in a more impressive fashion. I'm not sure Holy Family has ever beaten a top 10 team in their history, yet somehow they are a top ten team to you. If I was to make a list of teams that have the most to prove, Holy Family would probably be on top. They rack up points against bottom feeders, play a few good teams, but rarely win, yet their fans are adamant that they are an elite team.
I don't doubt where others have the fire in their rankings, I think 11 is a decent spot. I'm not even that worried about them at 9 in yours. It's the idea that you have these better teams behind your biased pick because of contradicting ideas. In all the other rankings you shared, Bemidji and Grand Rapids are ahead of the Fire. That is the issue with your rankings and logic.
If playing Breck into overtime gets you top ten then playing Benilde in overtime should get you top nine.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:27 pm

With Section 2AA and 6AA again having finals at Mariucci, what would be the optimal matchups in terms of bringing in the most attendance? I think 2AA is the 6:00 this year and 6AA the late game (mshsl.org). Same as last year, but given the movement of the teams it is almost like it did rotate again.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:47 pm

HockeyonFire wrote:
Not disagreeing with you.

HockeyonFire

Post by HockeyonFire » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:52 pm

Good point about GR playing BSM in overtime. My ranking logic---beating a top-10 and playing a top-10 team. My contradiction is Holy Family losing to Edina 2-1 + empty net without Will Garin. Garin is one of the best goal scorers in the state and because he did not even play in the game you can assume HF would do better and possibly tied Edina. HF is 4-0 lifetime against Minnetonka, won at Wayzata last year, beat STA last year, beat BSM two years ago so they have done well. Beating prior lake 4-1 last year is the only template i have to compare PL and HFC which are both very even teams on paper.
Last edited by HockeyonFire on Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HockeyonFire

Post by HockeyonFire » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:54 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:With Section 2AA and 6AA again having finals at Mariucci, what would be the optimal matchups in terms of bringing in the most attendance? I think 2AA is the 6:00 this year and 6AA the late game (mshsl.org). Same as last year, but given the movement of the teams it is almost like it did rotate again.
Isn't it sad that the MSHSL Will look at it that way...so no matter what PL and HF do they will most likely have Minnetonka seeded number two in order to have a potential EP vs. Minnetonka rematch.

6AA: Edina is no less than number two, they won't be 3. BSM plays in a weak conference and doesn't play Edina. BSM no matter how good they are right now will be seeded 3 at the end of the year so Wayzata vs Edina at Mariucci will be the most attended match up.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:55 pm

elliott70 wrote:
HockeyonFire wrote:
Not disagreeing with you.
But you do have Waconia, New Prague, Litchfield and Hutch on your schedule.

Not exactly Apollo, Hermantown, thief river falls, Sartell and Alexandria.

HockeyonFire

Post by HockeyonFire » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:10 pm

"But you do have Waconia, New Prague, Litchfield and Hutch on your schedule.

Not exactly Apollo, Hermantown, thief river falls, Sartell and Alexandria."

You can say the same thing about Benilde having to play Chanhassen twice, chaska, bloomington kennedy and st. louis park. I would love Holy Family, BSM, STA, Hill and Holy Angels to form their own conference and get out of these weak conferences.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:54 pm

HockeyonFire wrote:"But you do have Waconia, New Prague, Litchfield and Hutch on your schedule.

You can say the same thing about Benilde having to play Chanhassen twice, chaska, bloomington kennedy and st. louis park. I would love Holy Family, BSM, STA, Hill and Holy Angels to form their own conference and get out of these weak conferences.
Hopefully, every good team plays some not so good teams.

HILARY2016

Post by HILARY2016 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:20 pm

HockeyonFire wrote:"But you do have Waconia, New Prague, Litchfield and Hutch on your schedule.

Are you doing anything to create this? no, ok.

Sk8 Str8

Post by Sk8 Str8 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:35 am

green4 wrote:
HockeyonFire wrote:
green4 wrote:
HockeyonFire wrote:
What do you mean by "slipped in the losses"? HF's ranking is justified by Karl 11, FollowthePuck 11, & LPH 13. My ranking of 9 is because I don't believe Grand Rapids or Bemidji is deserving of being better yet until they beat a quality top-10 2A team or in Bemidji's case play one
What I mean is, this is the 2nd time I've seen you trying to justify Holy Family's ranking by listing off their close losses.
"Played Edina tight to a tee and Breck the closest anyone has yet this season by losing in ot at breck."
In reality, you are just contradicting yourself. You don't think Grand Rapids is worthy of being in the top 10 until they beat another top 10 team?! Who has Holy Family beat? Minnetonka and Maple grove, a couple of teams ranked between 15-20. Grand rapids beat Tonka too, and by the score, in a more impressive fashion. I'm not sure Holy Family has ever beaten a top 10 team in their history, yet somehow they are a top ten team to you. If I was to make a list of teams that have the most to prove, Holy Family would probably be on top. They rack up points against bottom feeders, play a few good teams, but rarely win, yet their fans are adamant that they are an elite team.
I don't doubt where others have the fire in their rankings, I think 11 is a decent spot. I'm not even that worried about them at 9 in yours. It's the idea that you have these better teams behind your biased pick because of contradicting ideas. In all the other rankings you shared, Bemidji and Grand Rapids are ahead of the Fire. That is the issue with your rankings and logic.
If playing Breck into overtime gets you top ten then playing Benilde in overtime should get you top nine.
Amen..."MrGarinOnFire", HFC is not going to win any games on this bored...it is early, win some games, take a breath

edgeUcated

Post by edgeUcated » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:16 pm

HockeyonFire wrote:
HOF - First let me say Will Garin is a very good player, but wanted to temper your enthusiasm just a bit -- Total Goals against stronger true AA Comps Edina=DNP, Breck=1, Mtka=1 Grand Total=2 Put up strong numbers and Wins against PL, Rapids, Stillwater twice then I will become believer. Unfortunately for HF this year wins over Tonka and STA might not move HF up much in the rankings.

edgeUcated

Post by edgeUcated » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:17 pm

HockeyonFire wrote:
HOF - First let me say Will Garin is a very good player, but wanted to temper your enthusiasm just a bit -- Total Goals against stronger true AA Comps Edina=DNP, Breck=1, Mtka=1 Grand Total=2 Put up strong numbers and Wins against PL, Rapids, Stillwater twice then I will become believer. Unfortunately for HF this year wins over Tonka and STA might not move HF up much in the rankings.