St. Louis Park Tournament

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

St. Louis Park Tournament

Post by karl(east) »

Just creating an open thread to discuss this one. I'll be in SLP all day today.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

I think we learn a lot from this tourney from several teams....specifically BSM, LN, Holy Family, Prior Lake.
InYourFace09

Re: St. Louis Park Tournament

Post by InYourFace09 »

karl(east) wrote:Just creating an open thread to discuss this one. I'll be in SLP all day today.
any feeds from these games?
Usthockey13

Re: St. Louis Park Tournament

Post by Usthockey13 »

karl(east) wrote:Just creating an open thread to discuss this one. I'll be in SLP all day today.

http://thecube.com/event/2015-sports-au ... 49/rosters
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Thanks for link
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Elk River putting it on Prior Lake. 3-0 after 2. Elks look solid.
100percenteffort

Post by 100percenteffort »

Sats81 wrote:Elk River putting it on Prior Lake. 3-0 after 2. Elks look solid.
From what I saw it looks a little sloppy.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Elks finishing their chances, possibly the Rapids game was no fluke?
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

alcloseshaver wrote:Elks finishing their chances, possibly the Rapids game was no fluke?
alcloseshaver the Elks are the real deal.
:wink:
Last edited by northwoods oldtimer on Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

3-1 Final Elk River. Elks looked good. PL has been pretty good this season so far.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

A friend of mine received an email from Buffalo Wild Wings advertising that they would be showing the Sports Authority Classic December 28-30 at the Eagan Buffalo Wild Wings. So, we agreed to meet there for lunch to watch the Elk River-Prior Lake game.

Two employees greeted me and I asked them about the high school hockey games. Neither of them were aware of the games. When I was seated I asked that employee, he didn't know. I asked my sever, he didn't know. The employee who seated me said he'd talk to the manager. He came back after 5 minutes to let me know that the games would be streamed on the TVs that were showing BDubs TV starting at noon.

Noon came around and the TVs were switched to the stream, but the internet connection wasn't working, it only showed a list of the games and times for today. I loaded up TheCube on my phone and was able to watch the game.

I managed to watch the entire game with my friend and his daughter without my phone losing all it's charge, but the TVs never did get the internet connection working. I was amazed that Buffalo Wild Wings wasn't able to stream a game that I could stream on my phone.

I'm not sure I'll be trusting their advertising for high school hockey in the future.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Ok, would appreciate perspective on Elk River this year to explain how with only 1 Elite League player , who is out hurt, they are beating top 10/top 15 teams?

I knew returning Meyers would be good in goal , Zerban solid, and Perbix a top 10 freshman . But what is the rest of the story? I think most pundits had Elk in lower top 20/25 at beginning of year. Looks like they might crack Karl's top 10 next Sunday.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

WestMetro wrote:Ok, would appreciate perspective on Elk River this year to explain how with only 1 Elite League player , who is out hurt, they are beating top 10/top 15 teams?

I knew returning Meyers would be good in goal , Zerban solid, and Perbix a top 10 freshman . But what is the rest of the story? I think most pundits had Elk in lower top 20/25 at beginning of year. Looks like they might crack Karl's top 10 next Sunday.
Why does it matter if they only had 1 elite league player? Your logic is perplexing to me. Perhaps "they" don't always choose the "right" players for the elite league? Season is 1/3 way in too.

There are more elements to a team then just top end firepower grandpa.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Thats the point of my question. What are the other elements that are working for them? And why pundits didnt see it at beginning of the season?
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

The junior class at ER was a top bantam team, not much size coming up thru youth hockey but they appear to have matured. Zerban is a national camper and if the elite league means something should have been there. He played some Jr. Hockey prior to the season instead. They do have some finishers and when they are scoring they are tough, couldn't score against Edina but are now scoring. Losing Lutz, Jaremko and Kiersted I'm sure the pundits expected a big drop off. A good example of what might be happening is a player like Michaelis has matured and is is now contributing in a big way and ER will always have the blue collar kids who just grind away and that goes back a long ways to the Sarsland era.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Thanks ACS, I haven't seen the Elks this year so your summary is appreciated.

Switching to the 5 pm game which I did see at SLP, it was a pretty even game with the slightly better team winning. Stillwater has been overrated, in part due to weaker schedule . this loss should push them down towards lower top 10 where the Fire has been recently , and depending on what else happens in the next couple days

Couldn't stay for the final game, but noticed Poehling put LVN up 1 to 0
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

LN and BSM play to a 4-4 tie. LN really pushed the pace in 3rd period and OT. Ryan Poehling could be best player in MN.

I have now seen every team in Karl's top 15 play at least once and I will say this, I think its a 4 team race to win state between BSM, Lakeville North, Blaine and EP. We will see what happens the rest of this week in St Louis Park and Schwans but those 4 teams are upper echelon and I think Edina, STA, Bemidji, Elk River, Stillwater, Grand Rapids and the rest are playing for 2nd....none of those second echelon teams have what it takes to win 6 straight and the offense skill and firepower that BSM, Blaine, EP and Lakeville North have is tough to match. Hope I don't eat my words with LN playing Holy Family and Elk River this week!
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Sats, I am sure they will be falling all over themselves to help feed you your words if anything were to happen :D Elks at home resting for the game tomorrow. Trap game for Benilde?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

alcloseshaver wrote:Sats, I am sure they will be falling all over themselves to help feed you your words if anything were to happen :D Elks at home resting for the game tomorrow. Trap game for Benilde?
of course they will! I do like Elks to come out of 7 AA though. Who does BSM have tomorrow? Elks looked very good today.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Sats81 wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:Sats, I am sure they will be falling all over themselves to help feed you your words if anything were to happen :D Elks at home resting for the game tomorrow. Trap game for Benilde?
of course they will! I do like Elks to come out of 7 AA though. Who does BSM have tomorrow? Elks looked very good today.
BSM vs Elks
Bluelightspecial-II

Post by Bluelightspecial-II »

[quote="Sats81"]LN and BSM play to a 4-4 tie. LN really pushed the pace in 3rd period and OT. Ryan Poehling could be best player in MN.

Easy dad, a couple weeks ago it was Middie hands down.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Bluelightspecial-II wrote:
Sats81 wrote:LN and BSM play to a 4-4 tie. LN really pushed the pace in 3rd period and OT. Ryan Poehling could be best player in MN.

Easy dad, a couple weeks ago it was Middie hands down.
Wait, is this THE BlueLightSpecial? Forget your password there pink shorts?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Caught the 3rd period and OT of the 4th game on the stream. Based on those two periods, couldn't believe the RK was even in the game and actually outshot LN. So credit to them for bringing their game early and hanging in there, especially w/0 Mayer as I understand it. LN physical presence and forechecking pressure was huge.

Agree with SATs on the top 4 teams, and none other even close at this point . And all capable of beating the other on a given night. Duluth East has size, talent and experience to rejoin this group if they can somehow repull everything together in January. I think they play Blaine right after New Years

Aside from offensive talent, Poehling brings defensive physical presence and forechecking pressure which is way beyond CM, MG, MM and all others with possible exception of Tufte.

Interesting BSM achieves this tie without a D1 commit on the ice. Team effort and good goaltending , down the stretch especially
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

Benilde really missed Mayer on both ends of the rink. They also played without Horton as well. Credit to them, they found a way to battle and get a tie. Calengor is a great role player that doesnt get alot of credit.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

minnscout wrote:Benilde really missed Mayer on both ends of the rink. They also played without Horton as well. Credit to them, they found a way to battle and get a tie. Calengor is a great role player that doesnt get alot of credit.
Are these excuses? Cmon. LN owned them from mid 2nd-rest of game and should have won tonight. BSM d has a lot of holes. Not overly impressed with #1 ranked team.