8 AA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

I don't agree with it, but I'm guessing the rationalization is that Roseau and STMA tied, and STMA also has a tie with Buffalo, who is almost certainly the weakest team in the section. (Even though there really isn't a truly bad team in 8AA.)
crw

Post by crw »

karl(east) wrote:I don't agree with it, but I'm guessing the rationalization is that Roseau and STMA tied, and STMA also has a tie with Buffalo, who is almost certainly the weakest team in the section. (Even though there really isn't a truly bad team in 8AA.)

Section Record
STMA 2-2-2 (14-6-2)
Roseau 1-5-1 (10-12-2)
Tied only head to head game... (I would agree that Roseau played tougher section games, but you need to win them.. no such thing as a quality loss.. a loss is a loss)

Roseau did lose 3-5 to Bemidji while STMA lost 2-5... but lets not forget the 0-5 loss to Bemidji that Roseau also had.

Roseau doesnt have a quality win against a top rated team.. best wins are Brainerd, Cloquet (sub .500 team) and Duluth Marshall (Sub .500 team) also split with Warroad (sub par A team)

STMA has quality wins versus top rated teams in the state - Duluth East and Breck.. also a bad loss to St. Francis. the tie early with Buffalo isn't a great thing but it wasn't a loss vs arch rival (like the Warroad lose)

I totally get the Brainerd argument, Just don't see the Roseau as 4 and STMA at 5 at all. (BUT I DONT GET A VOTE )
Last edited by crw on Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Who said the seeding are done already?
crw

Post by crw »

elliott70 wrote:Who said the seeding are done already?
as said earlier, there were rumors that coaches have already emailed their votes in..

but only rumors which is how this all got started..

people wanting to stir the pot.. makes for good talk though
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

crw wrote:
as said earlier, there were rumors that coaches have already emailed their votes in..

Well StMA at 5 is crazy.
Five should go to Buffalo.
crw

Post by crw »

elliott70 wrote:
crw wrote:

Well StMA at 5 is crazy.
Five should go to Buffalo.
that should get em going....lol
Ram Hockey

8AA

Post by Ram Hockey »

1. Bemidji
2. Moorhead
3. Brainerd
4. Roseau
5. STMA
6. Buffalo
7. Rogers
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Who gets the 8 seed?
crw

Post by crw »

IMO

1 - Bemidji
2 - Moorhead
3 - STMA
4 - Brainerd
5 - Roseau
6 - Rogers
7 - Buffalo

I could see a case for 3 and 4 switching and for 5 and 6 switching.. but neither STMA or Brainerd should fall from top 4...

Roseau, Rogers and Buffalo have no business in top 4

Bemidji and Moorhead are obvious...
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

crw wrote:IMO

1 - Bemidji
2 - Moorhead
3 - STMA
4 - Brainerd
5 - Roseau
6 - Rogers
7 - Buffalo

I could see a case for 3 and 4 switching and for 5 and 6 switching.. but neither STMA or Brainerd should fall from top 4...

Roseau, Rogers and Buffalo have no business in top 4

Bemidji and Moorhead are obvious...
Looks good from here.
Buffalo might want to be #6.
woodstickguy

Post by woodstickguy »

I think Roseau above Rogers is a stretch but above STMA is a disgrace to the system. I don't believe anything is final until tomorrow so let's just see what happens then. I would be moderately shocked if that many coaches conspired to sway the voting so unfairly - I did say moderately!

With all that being said if STMA can't go to Roseau and beat a team that has won 1 game since the middle of January, they probably didn't deserve the higher seed. What's the old saying - when life gives you limes make Gin and Tonics!
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

woodstickguy wrote:I think Roseau above Rogers is a stretch but above STMA is a disgrace to the system. I don't believe anything is final until tomorrow so let's just see what happens then. I would be moderately shocked if that many coaches conspired to sway the voting so unfairly - I did say moderately!

With all that being said if STMA can't go to Roseau and beat a team that has won 1 game since the middle of January, they probably didn't deserve the higher seed. What's the old saying - when life gives you limes make Gin and Tonics!
I don't think Bemidji wants to play St Mikes in the semis.
I don't think Moorhead want so play Brainerd in the semis.
I think Roseau would like to play Brainerd in the quarter final.

I think its Bemidji, Moorhead, St Mikes, Brainerd.
And I think Roseau will get #5. Even though some one says the losses don't mean anything, they might mean something to the coaches.

Buffalo and Rogers will duke it out for 6 & 7.

But not a bad group of teams.
GoldenBear69

Post by GoldenBear69 »

1. Bemidji
2. Moorhead
3. Brainerd
4. STMA
5. Roseau
6. Buffalo
7. Rogers
8. TBD :D
crw

Post by crw »

Just a matter of time now 8)
crw

Post by crw »

crw wrote:Just a matter of time now 8)
http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/showxmlbrack ... acket=6988
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

I was all excited for STMA getting the 5 seed, now that they actually got the 4 seed this thread is far less exciting. :(
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Traxler wrote:I was all excited for STMA getting the 5 seed, now that they actually got the 4 seed this thread is far less exciting. :(
Yeah, what good is this thread without some conspiracy theories being put out there? :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
crw

Post by crw »

east hockey wrote:
Traxler wrote:I was all excited for STMA getting the 5 seed, now that they actually got the 4 seed this thread is far less exciting. :(
Yeah, what good is this thread without some conspiracy theories being put out there? :mrgreen:

Lee
👍 makes for better entertainment
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

Looks like the southern conspiracy won out on this one. STMA and Buffalo both ranked Roseau last in the section. Every team in the section should have to play each other at least once a season. The Rams will just have go STMA and show them they were wrong!
crw

Post by crw »

Green and White Fan wrote:Looks like the southern conspiracy won out on this one. STMA and Buffalo both ranked Roseau last in the section. Every team in the section should have to play each other at least once a season. The Rams will just have go STMA and show them they were wrong!
I agree... Roseau didn't play 2 teams in sections... Maybe that's what hurt them not playing Rogers or Buffalo...
hockeywatcher55

Post by hockeywatcher55 »

Is it up to the schools or MSHL to schedule section games? If the MSHL is going to realign sections then make sure all the teams play each other. Did STMA play Brainerd?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

hockeywatcher55 wrote:Is it up to the schools or MSHL to schedule section games? If the MSHL is going to realign sections then make sure all the teams play each other. Did STMA play Brainerd?
Nope, that's up to the schools, some of which are very constrained by conference schedules. In my dream world everyone would have to play their section opponents at least once. I hold out some hope that conferences will collapse further, or align themselves more sanely, now that they are no longer driven by football concerns, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's even more difficult for schools like STMA that have just been re-aligned into different sections...most schedules are set some time in advance, and they may not have had time to swap out a couple of their 7AA opponents for 8AA ones.
crw

Post by crw »

hockeywatcher55 wrote:Is it up to the schools or MSHL to schedule section games? If the MSHL is going to realign sections then make sure all the teams play each other. Did STMA play Brainerd?
Nope, STMA didn't play Brainerd... Only team they didn't play
hockeywatcher55

Post by hockeywatcher55 »

Ok thanks. I understand the difficult logistics. Hoping the future schedules can make section games a priority.
Syd Barrett

Post by Syd Barrett »

Looks like some of the Section 8AA Metro teams are doing a little bit of whinning :cry:
Per Youth Hockey Hub:
Bemidji gets #1 Twin Cities teams get robbed
Section 8AA announced the section seeding today before the last two games are played this season. This season was the first time in many years where the north teams have not dominated play outside of Bemidji. The Lumberjacks were seeded #1 and that made sense. Moorhead, leading the Mariucci Conference (but not won at this time) is second. After beating St. Michael/Albertville two weeks ago at Albertville, that made sense. But after that, the seeds don't make any sense. The three Twin Cities teams in the section (STMA, Rogers, and Buffalo) all were seeded lower than their season performance. The northern schools were promoted to higher seeds then they earned. The result maximizes the probably of a northern school going to state. Based on the seeding, all four northern schools can advance to the semifinals. If seeding followed performance, the semifinals would match north against Twin Cites teams.

The Section 8AA seeding was announced Thursday. Those doing the seeding righted the upside down Section 8AA Tournament and ignored performance this season going with history. As a result, Brainerd (13-11-1) was promoted over St. Michael-Albertville (14-7-2) to the #3 seed and will stay home to play Rogers (16-7-0) in a game that Rogers should win. Rogers will host St. Michaels/Albertville Thursday night. The Royals and Knights are now playing in a game tonight that should have meant everything to their seeding prospects but means nothing.

Now, St. Michael/Albertville seeded #4 plays #5 Roseau (10-12-2) at home next Tuesday. Roseau (10-12-2) was promoted moving up to the #5 seed spot to play at STMA. If the seeds followed season performance, Rogers would have played at STMA. The Knights game tonight with Rogers would have been a preliminary for the real playoff game next Tuesday. With STMA and Rogers neighboring towns that would have helped foster the sport in that area of the state. Buffalo (9-11-3) travels to Moorhead (14-9-0) to play the Spuds. Roseau should have made the trip to Moorhead.

There may be technical reasons for the draw (transportation, arena availabilty, etc), to cause this shift; but this corner of YHH has followed the players from peewee on as they have struggled at times. This should be the players time. And there should be consideration given to what is right for the players not what is most expedient.

It appears to those on the outside that the only rational for changing the seeding is to maximize the possibility of a “northern team” being in the Class AA State Tourney. Based on current seeding, there is no north versus north match-up in the opening round. That allows all three north teams in the section to advance to the semifinals and that maximizies the appearance of a north team. In this corner, that is all for naught. The #1 team in the Section is Bemidji and they should win, but Twin City teams (and STMA in particular) should be treated fairly. The Knights at STMA have played from peewees on to have an equal shot at the state tourney. Now that is gone forever.
That brutal Mississippi 8 conference schedule that Rogers plays has the Brainerd Wizzards...er, I mean Worriors shaking in their skates [-(
STMA is an up and coming program but if they think they are going to have a cakewalk with Roseau they may be in for a little surprise :-$