Duluth East at Grand Rapids

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins this 7AA battle?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:44 am

Duluth East
50%
Grand Rapids
50%

Total votes: 24

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:22 pm

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned how both these teams owed fans a refund for most games so far this year. Also felt this way about the first two periods of this game. Incredibly flat, when considering the talent of these two teams on the ice. In the third, It was a great up-and-down the ice "old" section 7 game with good checking good passing and good goaltending . Reminded me of Duluth East vs GrIn the early 70s Would still like to see the replay of the disallowed DE goal due to stick above the crossbar, at least they got one shortly after to retie it

Will see the Hounds at Eden Prairie 3 PM on Saturday. Can they stay close to Eagles?

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:35 pm

To keep things interesting East might go down and beat EP.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:40 pm

Great as it was for GR to win, all banter aside, that was one of the most entertaining games I've seen in a while. Credit to East to comeback in the 3rd when scoring hasn't been a strong point most of the year. Randolph always makes good in game adjustments. Perhaps just a regular season game, but something for Rapids to build off of finally getting a win in OT and against a section rival no less.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:42 pm

Andover reeling as they head to Rapids on Sat.

Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:44 pm

It was nice to see Rapids actually keep working the entire game. I haven't seen East this season, so I have no idea if they were off their game the first two periods or on their heels. Rapids was using the body unlike most of their other games this season.

From where I sat, the disallowed goal was clearly from a high stick. I thought the ref did a nice job of explaining it in unmistakable detail to Randolph and then shut him down when he tried to argue the point some more. Reminiscent of the puck thrown in the net during the 2011 section final.

I was surprised (and pleased) to see Rapids win against East in overtime. I never bet against one of Randolph's teams when they grind out a comeback and take it to overtime.

Nonetheless, best to lay off the Tang infused Orange Crush for now. But, at least for one night the boys showed a bit of a pulse.

Oh yeah, one more point. I have yet to hear one disparaging remark about Klatt in this entire community. Everything I have heard is expressions of gratitude and respect. He seems to have a great rapport with everyone he encounters. The team is doing reasonably well, got schooled by Hermantown, Eden Prairie and Elk River (probably not the only team in the state to lose convincingly to any of those three), but looks like they will keep trying.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:12 pm

Sats81 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:Overrated/Overhyped team takes it in OT!
Don't get too excited there big boy. Your squad just dodged a bullet from a team that is only a few weeks removed from getting beat by Marshall. Regardless you are still gonna get them in 7AA semis. Good luck getting through them and ER in back to back games. Your boys lack the fortitude to string together 2 big wins in a row.
Bitter much? No secret east has owned the section recently and Rapids. So yeah, when it's the biggest game of the year against an arch rival and you win in overtime, fans are gonna get excited!! It's a natural emotion if you didn't know.

East sleep walked through the first two periods. If they keep playing like this they might not make it past the quarters.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:45 am

These two teams have played their share of entertaining games against each other and last night was no different.
I thought GR got off to a nice start. The Mattson shot was a real kick start for them. That is what a leader does.
Also, when the Hounds forced that turnover and scored, the boys didn't crumble. They kept on fighting even though that play gave East a huge spark.
The Injuns also did a nice job of not taking unnecessary penalties. (Maybe their biggest downfall in previous losses this year)
Should be plenty of good hockey the rest of the way from both.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:24 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:These two teams have played their share of entertaining games against each other and last night was no different.
I thought GR got off to a nice start. The Mattson shot was a real kick start for them. That is what a leader does.
Also, when the Hounds forced that turnover and scored, the boys didn't crumble. They kept on fighting even though that play gave East a huge spark.
The Injuns also did a nice job of not taking unnecessary penalties. (Maybe their biggest downfall in previous losses this year)
I agree with your commentary and it looks like 7AA will be a good race down the second half.

Still some good battles ahead:
East - Eden Prairie
East - CEC
East - LN
East - Tonka
Elk River - East game
Elk River - Hill
Elk River - Blaine
Elk River - MG
Rapids - CEC
Rapids - Hibbing
Rapids - Wayzata
Rapids - HF

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:08 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:These two teams have played their share of entertaining games against each other and last night was no different.
I agree with your commentary and it looks like 7AA will be a good race down the second half.

East - Eden Prairie
East - CEC
East - LN
East - Tonka
Elk River - East game
Elk River - Hill
Elk River - Blaine
Elk River - MG
Rapids - CEC
Rapids - Hibbing
Rapids - Wayzata
Rapids - HF
There will be some more ups and downs but I bet the sections will provide some awesome games no matter the outcomes.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:55 am

Anyone know if Duluth Marshall is healthy yet? I noticed they beat Superior 3-1. Not sure what to make of that as I don't know how good the Spartans are this year.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:16 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Anyone know if Duluth Marshall is healthy yet? I noticed they beat Superior 3-1. Not sure what to make of that as I don't know how good the Spartans are this year.
Superior looks to be 2-12-1 so far this year. They do play a tougher schedule than most Wisconsin teams. They are often around .500 and still are a force in the Wisconsin State Tournament.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:47 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Anyone know if Duluth Marshall is healthy yet? I noticed they beat Superior 3-1. Not sure what to make of that as I don't know how good the Spartans are this year.
I saw Lenz on the scoresheet, so he's back. If we believe the Hub, they're still missing Hansen.

But yes, Superior is not very good. Nothing to get excited about in beating them (again).

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:30 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:

East - Eden Prairie
East - CEC
East - LN
East - Tonka
Elk River - East game
Elk River - Hill
Elk River - Blaine
Elk River - MG
Rapids - CEC
Rapids - Hibbing
Rapids - Wayzata
Rapids - HF
There will be some more ups and downs but I bet the sections will provide some awesome games no matter the outcomes.
Whoever makes it out of the section will have earned it as always.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:51 pm

AlCloseShaver

Andover not the same without Maddie ! I ventured my way out of the West Metro last year all the way up Hansen Blvd to Andover Arena just to see Maddie in person! She was the real deal. Section 7 playoffs won't be the same without her. Hounds boys won't be cringing about facing her again. Seems to be doing well for UMD ladies so far this year

the_juiceman

Post by the_juiceman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:23 pm

WestMetro wrote:Both teams owe fans refunds for their season so far.
refunds? from HS hockey game? wow, you really over the top.... :oops:

the_juiceman

Post by the_juiceman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:25 pm

WestMetro wrote:AlCloseShaver

Andover not the same without Maddie ! I ventured my way out of the West Metro last year all the way up Hansen Blvd to Andover Arena just to see Maddie in person! She was the real deal. Section 7 playoffs won't be the same without her. Hounds boys won't be cringing about facing her again. Seems to be doing well for UMD ladies so far this year
above average at best...