@COHSHockeyPod 01/31/2016 Show with Karl(east) & YHH

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

green4

Post by green4 »

Sats81 wrote:
green4 wrote:
Sats81 wrote: This really has nothing to do with Edina's success....and those high end kids at Burnsville staying through their sr years would NOT have changed what Burnsville's program is left with now. The suburb has changed dramatically in the last 7-10 yrs and will continue to do so. The numbers simply are NOT there and after this year they will spiral down until they are forced to be a class A school or drop hockey within the next 5-10 yrs all together. Sad state of affairs for the once proud Braves and my man Wendy Clark.
I didn't intend to make it sound like those Burnsville players staying would save the program. I think my point of bringing those players up was just to say they probably could have taken down an Edina team once or twice if they stayed, notably Sheehy's year. But, I think the reason a lot of them left early is the idea that they couldn't overcome Edina. I mean, those kids were under 10 the last time they saw a Burnsville team go to state.
But I have seen the changes of Burnsville's demographics posted on here before, so I was aware and did not intend to make it sound like these kids could have saved it.
Sorry Green- again you are wrong in assuming this. Boeser left because there was NO chance he was playing another year of HS hockey as he really had little left to prove. Every NHL scout on the planet will tell you that and NOTHING could have/would have saved him from staying in HS. Proof is in the pudding with him being a 1st round pick, dominating the USHL last year as a HS senior and having an ENORMOUS freshman year at UND. Sheehy went into the USHL and had 2 excellent seasons also and is having a very nice freshman year at the U playing on a line with Kloos. Kivihalme at the time was probably the most sought after HS D-men in MN by NHL scouts and if dad's the head coach and he still lives I think that really says it all. Rossini, same thing. Highly sought after D1 d-man, thought his best chances to develop were to leave early and play in the USHL I know you are the biggest Edina apologist on the face of the earth, but saying you think the reason a lot of them left early was the idea that they couldn't overcome Edina is very silly. Believe it or not, a lot of these kids main goal in hockey isn't to play in/Win the HS hockey tournament. In the case of Boeser, Sheehy, Kivihalme and Rossini, their primary objectives as players was to advance their respective careers and they and the people around them thought that moving up to the USHL faster would give them the highest probability of doing so and I can assure you the "fear of not being able to overcome Edina" hag d ZERO to do with their decisions.
I guess it is a mind frame that I will never fully understand when leaving early and proving oneself. It is all pretty relative. Clearly, I never had the talent that these kids had, but I also couldn't imagine the pressure that comes with it. My goals as a result were totally different, just making the team and playing in the tournament would have been the tops. These guys have higher aspirations, and that is great, all power to them and I hope they achieve all they desire. It just can be tough for my head to wrap around that idea.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Nothing wrong with those goals Green. Everyone is different. Not saying either is right or wrong.