6AA- who goes to state?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who goes to State?

Benilde
44%
Wayzata
27%
Edina
24%
The remaining field
5%

Total votes: 41

MNHockeyFan

Re: 6AA Section Champs

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:12 pm

bleedblue wrote:Wayzata wins 6AA!! Coming together at the right time. Nice team D and strong goaltending.
It wasn't that long ago, a month maybe, when there were lots of naysayers on this board talking about how Wayzata always underperforms. Doubters sprung up, questioning the coaching. Now the talk has taken a 180: he's going to lead this great group to State. How quickly a few good wins can turn everything upside down...

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:33 pm

MNHockeyFan, I think O' Leary followed Golden Bears comprehensive Trojan overhaul plan which he published on this Forum approximately mid December.

green4

Re: 6AA Section Champs

Post by green4 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:49 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
bleedblue wrote:Wayzata wins 6AA!! Coming together at the right time. Nice team D and strong goaltending.
It wasn't that long ago, a month maybe, when there were lots of naysayers on this board talking about how Wayzata always underperforms. Doubters sprung up, questioning the coaching. Now the talk has taken a 180: he's going to lead this great group to State. How quickly a few good wins can turn everything upside down...
Would anyone be surprised to see them struggle the next two weeks and everyone starts talking about how they underperform again?

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:47 am

WestMetro wrote:Yes, Jefferson is in the West Metro, so there you go. And I still keep an office at BIG since Im there so much , I almost live there in August for the BEL.

But since Eigs had me down to the South Metro so much, I had the opportunity to extensively watch, compare, and motivate these two undefeated teams. (as well as of course watching the Hill undefeated 1983 team and Hornets 1974)

I do believe if you paired up any of those teams in a series, it would go to the 7th game, and be decided by one goal.

The docs have assured me they will be able to patch me up long enough for the next perfect season in 2035, probably Chanhassen in the West Metro.

OK, Ive strayed too far from the thread topic.
So just to get this straight for the record, WestMetro is claiming to be the real "Sats"?

WestMetro/Tony Scott/"Sats" this really couldn't get any better, and I have a very difficult time believing it, but if so, I just want to go on record and say that thing one thing I admire most about you is NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE loves the real Sats more than the real Sats himself!

How many more banners would you have hung if Trebs wouldn't have robbed you blind from the late 90's-2007 or so? Of course, Trebs was a double edged sword for you, as its probably unlikely you would have had the banners you hung without him coaching up the Bantams for all those years and basically just handing you a finished product to have Bianchi open the doors for! Most people in the "know" in the West Metro know that Greg was the best coach in Jefferson and the "puppet master" behind all that glory, (real similar to Sats81 at LN!)...

Ah, West Metro/Tony Scott/"Sats" I really love ya!

Oh, and just for good measure, from an Old Jag here myself, just to make sure it's really you, can you perhaps tell us here what your favorite pre game ritual was in the locker room with the boys between warmups and period 1? The real "Sats" will for surely know this answer :wink: :wink:

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:33 am

Kurvers, pull my finger? GB

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:52 am

GoldenBear wrote:Kurvers, pull my finger? GB
No.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:08 am

For the younger Forum readers, I am attaching a link to help explain a little more about what SATS81 described above:

http://m.startribune.com/reusse-hockey- ... 138270724/

Yes , that was a difficult time. For SATS , Trebs and all of Hockey in Minnesota

People often still leave notes at BIG and Richfield AHA CoStar rink offices about that era. Fans should see if they can find and read those along with looking at the flags hanging on the wall.

But things move on , and there is always new and exciting hockey to follow and grandkids to enjoy

So SATS and Trebs, the very best to both of you. You laid it all on the table with your spectacular careers and achievements , you had nothing left to
prove.

GOPHERFAN119

Post by GOPHERFAN119 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:11 pm

Trojans. Wayzata beats Edina 5 to 1 tonight.

Tower power93

Post by Tower power93 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:18 pm

The problem is that Wayzata may have to beat them a fourth time in February to move through section finals. Codes anyone here believe they can beat Edina and Giles four times in one season? I just cannot see it happen!

Miracleon82ndstreet

Post by Miracleon82ndstreet » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:25 pm

Tower power93 wrote:The problem is that Wayzata may have to beat them a fourth time in February to move through section finals. Codes anyone here believe they can beat Edina and Giles four times in one season? I just cannot see it happen!
I don't think so either but the Trojans are playing some good hockey lately.
Wow! That is impressive. We will see if they can get it done when it truly matters (section time).

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:37 pm

Impressive win by Wayzata tonight, they were generally in control 5-on-5 and wore the Hornets down. Unless they take a lot of penalties, I'd feel pretty confident in betting on a 4th win over Edina in sections.

Moving Phillips up may give the Hornets some offensive balance, but in back...eh. Brinkman is their best defenseman now, they only roll four, and one of them (Pugh) was seeing very little ice time by the 3rd; they were basically playing 3.5 D. Is Luke Johnson hurt, or just on the bench? At any rate, it's rare to see and Edina team look this unsettled in February.

mnhockfan99

Post by mnhockfan99 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:23 pm

[quote="karl(east)"]Impressive win by Wayzata tonight, they were generally in control 5-on-5 and wore the Hornets down. Unless they take a lot of penalties, I'd feel pretty confident in betting on a 4th win over Edina in sections.

Moving Phillips up may give the Hornets some offensive balance, but in back...eh. Brinkman is their best defenseman now, they only roll four, and one of them (Pugh) was seeing very little ice time by the 3rd; they were basically playing 3.5 D. Is Luke Johnson hurt, or just on the bench? At any rate, it's rare to see and Edina team look this unsettled in February.[/quote]

Agree here, after seeing Wayzata couple times recently if they get competent goaltending and avoid bad penalties I think they could certainly come out of this section. I'll never count out Edina but I think the goaltending there is too inconsistent to pick them with a ton of confidence.

I still think EP beats BSM on Saturday..

green4

Post by green4 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:52 pm

karl(east) wrote: Is Luke Johnson hurt, or just on the bench? .
I missed the game, but I would guess he had to be hurt. I haven't seen Brinkman play yet, but I have thought Johnson was the best D when Phillips was back there, so I doubt he is riding the bench. Pugh hasn't played much all year, typically it is just Tabor, Mickelson, Johnson plus Brinkman/Phillips

Rich Clarke

Luke Johnson

Post by Rich Clarke » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:03 am

Karl,

Part of Edina's problem was moving Phillips up to forward and then Luke Johnson almost immediately being injured. He is Edina's best defensive defenseman (while Brinkman and Phillips are the puck carrying type). I heard from Blooston that he's not out for the season, but for "a couple weeks." Of course, that means he'll maybe be back for the presumed Wayzata semifinal. Giles was of course smart not to move Phillips back and screw up his second line for a short term gain, but it made it very hard to withstand Wayzata's pressure.

Having said all of that, Wayzata is much bigger, much stronger, pinches its defense and aggressively goes after the puck and gives Edina no skating room at all. It takes a special team to make this work, and they're aided by an Edina team that just may be a year or two too young. If Edina is to win, they'll need to perfect their passing under pressure within the next two weeks, because they almost never had the puck Thursday.

The game was 2-1 entering the third and Wayzata got some goals that perhaps could have been avoided. But for every goal Wayzata got, they missed on two or three others. Edina would have needed ALL the breaks to win that game.

One plus for the Hornets was that Brinkman was the best player on the ice (or at least best Hornet) and that bodes well. A second is Johnson coming back if indeed he does. A third is that Wayzata is winning its games during January and early February, when the top teams often have their hardest time winning. But Wayzata is not just manhandling Edina. They beat Minnetonka by four goals as well and overwhelmed EP I am told (despite the relatively close 4-2 score). So I'm not thinking that the Edina team that just beat EP took a step backwards. I just think Wayzata right now is perhaps the best team in the state.

I am hoping for the improvement in Edina discussed above, or that Wayzata is, once again, peeking at the wrong time. But I don't think that's going to happen.

As for Benilde, they have not dominated the way most undefeated teams do, and I think most agree that a bounce or two the other way would have given them at least a couple losses. But they still are the obvious no. 1 and until now there has been no team that I would pick against them. If Wayzata handles Edina they way they did Thursday again in two weeks, I'd say Wayzata will be the largest single barrier to a Benilde championship (other than the four-game gauntlet that most teams have to face).

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:59 am

Out of 35 votes, it's now basically one third for each

coco2

Post by coco2 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:52 pm

Sats81 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Yes, Jefferson is in the West Metro, so there you go. And I still keep an office at BIG since Im there so much , I almost live there in August for the BEL.

But since Eigs had me down to the South Metro so much, I had the opportunity to extensively watch, compare, and motivate these two undefeated teams. (as well as of course watching the Hill undefeated 1983 team and Hornets 1974)

I do believe if you paired up any of those teams in a series, it would go to the 7th game, and be decided by one goal.

The docs have assured me they will be able to patch me up long enough for the next perfect season in 2035, probably Chanhassen in the West Metro.

OK, Ive strayed too far from the thread topic.
So just to get this straight for the record, WestMetro is claiming to be the real "Sats"?

WestMetro/Tony Scott/"Sats" this really couldn't get any better, and I have a very difficult time believing it, but if so, I just want to go on record and say that thing one thing I admire most about you is NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE loves the real Sats more than the real Sats himself!

How many more banners would you have hung if Trebs wouldn't have robbed you blind from the late 90's-2007 or so? Of course, Trebs was a double edged sword for you, as its probably unlikely you would have had the banners you hung without him coaching up the Bantams for all those years and basically just handing you a finished product to have Bianchi open the doors for! Most people in the "know" in the West Metro know that Greg was the best coach in Jefferson and the "puppet master" behind all that glory, (real similar to Sats81 at LN!)...

Ah, West Metro/Tony Scott/"Sats" I really love ya!

Oh, and just for good measure, from an Old Jag here myself, just to make sure it's really you, can you perhaps tell us here what your favorite pre game ritual was in the locker room with the boys between warmups and period 1? The real "Sats" will for surely know this answer :wink: :wink:
I always had light blue gum!

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:57 am

For a little while, I wondered if Edina was just kind of biding their time & preparing for what they knew would be a 2 vs. 3 quarterfinal against Wayzata. After last night's 6-1 loss to Tonka, don't know if that's the case anymore. I think they're just not as good as the others.

(Full Disclosure: I did NOT see the Edina-Tonka game last night, just going off of the box score. If anyone can add anything to what they saw at the game, by all means, please contribute).

I did see Edina-Tonka when they played at Pagel. I thought Tonka was the better team, but I didn't think they were overwhelmingly better & that Edina could play with them. However, I was not super impressed with Edina's over defense (I was impressed with Brinkman's poise, especially just coming back). And their goalie seemed to be "just a guy." Not bad, but nothing that I could see that could carry to some upsets.

Tough to beat a team 4 times in a season, so Wayzata will be having to do that, but it seems likely to happen at this point. (I wonder if Edina's ever been defeated by one team 4 times in a season...doubtful).

Seems like a 2 horse race, destined to see other at Mariucci. But then again, that's why they play the games!

terrymoore1717

Post by terrymoore1717 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:44 am

Great game last night at PIC. Final BSM 4-Wayzata 2

Wayzata dominates first and scores only 1. BSM dominates second and scores only 1. Wayzata takes 2-1 lead in last ten minutes then BSM scores 30 seconds later. BSM gets game winner with 4 to play on a pretty goalmouth pass. BSM adds eng for 4-2 final.

Both teams played well. Wayzata had trouble with BSM forecheck. BSM had trouble with Wayzata trap. Mayer had a very strong game, including a highlight reel goal. Both goalies were strong.

Game was fast and physical. One of the best games I have seen this year. Very fun to watch, and I am sure, to play in.

Wayzata played without Sorensen (suspended) and BSM played without Gleekel (injured early and did not return), both difference makers. So no predictions if a rematch comes up.

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:48 am

terrymoore1717 wrote:Great game last night at PIC. Final BSM 4-Wayzata 2

Wayzata dominates first and scores only 1. BSM dominates second and scores only 1. Wayzata takes 2-1 lead in last ten minutes then BSM scores 30 seconds later. BSM gets game winner with 4 to play on a pretty goalmouth pass. BSM adds eng for 4-2 final.

Both teams played well. Wayzata had trouble with BSM forecheck. BSM had trouble with Wayzata trap. Mayer had a very strong game, including a highlight reel goal. Both goalies were strong.

Game was fast and physical. One of the best games I have seen this year. Very fun to watch, and I am sure, to play in.

Wayzata played without Sorensen (suspended) and BSM played without Gleekel (injured early and did not return), both difference makers. So no predictions if a rematch comes up.
Congrats to Auggie and the Knights last night Terry! Terrific season for them and great season for Auggie, who is a great kid. Any news on Gleekel from the team doctor? :wink:

green4

Post by green4 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:09 am

Doc Holliday wrote:For a little while, I wondered if Edina was just kind of biding their time & preparing for what they knew would be a 2 vs. 3 quarterfinal against Wayzata. After last night's 6-1 loss to Tonka, don't know if that's the case anymore. I think they're just not as good as the others.

(Full Disclosure: I did NOT see the Edina-Tonka game last night, just going off of the box score. If anyone can add anything to what they saw at the game, by all means, please contribute).

I did see Edina-Tonka when they played at Pagel. I thought Tonka was the better team, but I didn't think they were overwhelmingly better & that Edina could play with them. However, I was not super impressed with Edina's over defense (I was impressed with Brinkman's poise, especially just coming back). And their goalie seemed to be "just a guy." Not bad, but nothing that I could see that could carry to some upsets.

Tough to beat a team 4 times in a season, so Wayzata will be having to do that, but it seems likely to happen at this point. (I wonder if Edina's ever been defeated by one team 4 times in a season...doubtful).

Seems like a 2 horse race, destined to see other at Mariucci. But then again, that's why they play the games!
I was working at the rink so I could only catch bits and pieces, but the score makes it look worse than it was. It was still a bad game for Edina, but it was mostly one bad period. I watched a good chunk of the first and Edina out played tonka. The second was ugly, and pretty much took the wind out of edina's sails.
Degrood had an off night while Hanson was really good, I think he stopped 3 breakaways.
In the end, I think you are right, this team probably is not good enough to make state and is a year away.

terrymoore1717

Post by terrymoore1717 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:35 am

C-dad wrote:
Congrats to Auggie and the Knights last night Terry! Terrific season for them and great season for Auggie, who is a great kid. Any news on Gleekel from the team doctor? :wink:
Thanks for the kind words. As to Cade, the team doc never talks medical stuff with me , so I never know.

FadedRedLine

Post by FadedRedLine » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:56 am

C-dad wrote:
terrymoore1717 wrote:Great game last night at PIC. Final BSM 4-Wayzata 2

Watched game on twelve.tv feed - thought they did a great job calling the game but seemed to miss out on what was going on with Gleekel injury which was frustrating as it seemed kind of obvious that he wasn't playing.

So Gleekel injured early in game, Calengor moved from Defense to take Gleekels spot centering Risteau and Moore. BSM kept 2nd and 3rd line in tact and rotated in Gherardi and McLeod to take Calengor's place on Defense. Calengor- Moore - Risteau line did well and scored last two goals of the game.

Assuming Gleekel is injured for the remainder of the season it will be interesting to see how they adjust their lines. Definite problem for Benilde.

Lastly, it is too bad that games are not televised like Channel 12 (twelve.tv) did for this game. For those that do not live in their broadcast area, they have camera's throughout the rink so you get a professional broadcast with a two man crew that conduct interviews and call the game quite well.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:56 am

FadedRedLine wrote:Lastly, it is too bad that games are not televised like Channel 12 (twelve.tv) did for this game. For those that do not live in their broadcast area, they have camera's throughout the rink so you get a professional broadcast with a two man crew that conduct interviews and call the game quite well.
True HD also, which I wasn't expecting. When you hit 12 on the remote, it switched to the HD version, which in my area was channel 18. Anyway the picture quality was excellent, which I was not expecting.

hshockeyfan8

Post by hshockeyfan8 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:58 am

Almost wish we still had the old 6AA together. Although unfair to the teams, watching 5 of the top 7 teams in the state compete for one spot would have been extraordinary.