Hawks vs Blue Jackets:Showdown in 7A part 1

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Hermantown vs Hibbing

Poll ended at Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:53 am

Hermantown
82%
Hibbing
18%

Total votes: 17

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:56 pm

rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote:Yes it actually can. 40% of Hermantown is at this game.
That makes sense, given 40% of the Hermantown players are from Hermantown. :)
Haha good one.
Get that summer program going yet?
I love how you like to gloat peky. It's not enough for you that Hermantown Academy sandbags in A so they can pile up trophies, you get to gloat when you beat up on A teams too.

Must be nice. I'll refer you to what Sats said about your program; it's pretty much how the entire state feels.

Congrats to the Hermantown players. They are a talented, hard-working bunch of kids.
First of all Hermantown is a small school class A team not an academy as you suggest.
Secondly, you were the one that made the BS comment that 40 % of the kids are from Hermantown.
Thirdly, Asking you about your summer program is gloating?
Your good at dishing it out but you can't handle the truth.
You want to talk about truth? How many kids on the team are open enrollees? I think Froggy pointed out 5 or 6. Aamodt, Judnick, Samberg, Gotz, Watkins, etc. I think he and Jeffy95 also pointed out your Squirt AA team is half open enrollees.

And I had a Hibbing dad tell me his kid got a letter from the Hermantown Youth Association urging him to come to Hermantown. (He made a copy of the letter and sent it to USA Hockey.) Is this how you get the kids from around the area to come there? Does the youth association do the dirty work so all the Proctor/Denfeld/Virginia/Hibbing kids are in place before the step down to A in high school happens?

I remember when everyone rooted for Hermantown at state. This year, I think people will actually be rooting for Breck should the two meet for the title. That should embarrass you.

The kids on your team are talented and hard-working, regardless of where they came from. I think the most shameful part of the Hermantown Academy farce is that these kids would be the #1 seed in 7AA and they would be the darlings of the AA tournament, with 95% of the state rooting for them. Instead, they will head down to St. Paul and everyone will boo them and whatever they do down there will essentially mean nothing to 99.9% of hockey fans in the state. Those kids are being robbed of a chance to do something really great, and it's sad.

But hey, it allows you to gloat, so I guess it's all worth it, right?

And as far as that summer program, I'll get working on that as soon as I get 150,000 people to move to within ten minutes of Hibbing, which would put us on equal footing with Hermantown Academy.
What's sad is your all the BS you spew out. You go ahead and root for Breck. It just shows how unhinged you are.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:56 pm

I usually cheer for all northern teams at state. Not too interested in cheering for AA Hermantown playing in class A. Maybe I'll have EGF to cheer for in A.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:04 pm

Hermantown belongs in AA. End of discussion, there isn't even an argument.
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

hermantown2000

Post by hermantown2000 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:08 pm

So the "Soviet Union" dominated the Blue Jackets 7-0? Maybe section 7 will be a one sided affair after all!! :lol:

rainier

Post by rainier » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:09 pm

pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote:Yes it actually can. 40% of Hermantown is at this game.
That makes sense, given 40% of the Hermantown players are from Hermantown. :)
Haha good one.
Get that summer program going yet?
I love how you like to gloat peky. It's not enough for you that Hermantown Academy sandbags in A so they can pile up trophies, you get to gloat when you beat up on A teams too.

Must be nice. I'll refer you to what Sats said about your program; it's pretty much how the entire state feels.

Congrats to the Hermantown players. They are a talented, hard-working bunch of kids.
First of all Hermantown is a small school class A team not an academy as you suggest.
Secondly, you were the one that made the BS comment that 40 % of the kids are from Hermantown.
Thirdly, Asking you about your summer program is gloating?
Your good at dishing it out but you can't handle the truth.
You want to talk about truth? How many kids on the team are open enrollees? I think Froggy pointed out 5 or 6. Aamodt, Judnick, Samberg, Gotz, Watkins, etc. I think he and Jeffy95 also pointed out your Squirt AA team is half open enrollees.

And I had a Hibbing dad tell me his kid got a letter from the Hermantown Youth Association urging him to come to Hermantown. (He made a copy of the letter and sent it to USA Hockey.) Is this how you get the kids from around the area to come there? Does the youth association do the dirty work so all the Proctor/Denfeld/Virginia/Hibbing kids are in place before the step down to A in high school happens?

I remember when everyone rooted for Hermantown at state. This year, I think people will actually be rooting for Breck should the two meet for the title. That should embarrass you.

The kids on your team are talented and hard-working, regardless of where they came from. I think the most shameful part of the Hermantown Academy farce is that these kids would be the #1 seed in 7AA and they would be the darlings of the AA tournament, with 95% of the state rooting for them. Instead, they will head down to St. Paul and everyone will boo them and whatever they do down there will essentially mean nothing to 99.9% of hockey fans in the state. Those kids are being robbed of a chance to do something really great, and it's sad.

But hey, it allows you to gloat, so I guess it's all worth it, right?

And as far as that summer program, I'll get working on that as soon as I get 150,000 people to move to within ten minutes of Hibbing, which would put us on equal footing with Hermantown Academy.
What's sad is your all the BS you spew out. You go ahead and root for Breck. It just shows how unhinged you are.
Well, considering 90% of the forum agrees with me, then I guess there's a whole bunch of unhinged crazies on here. (Actually, that probably is the truth.)

I admit I went too far when I said I'd root for Breck. That makes my skin crawl. :)

Everyone knows that Hermantown draws from surrounding communities, so your denying it is pointless.

Regardless, Hermantown could have only 40 kids at the school, with the 40 kids being just the boys hockey players, and as good as they are they should still be playing in AA, for the kids' sake.

Back to actual on ice stuff. The difference for Hermantown being better this year is their goalie. Hibbing had some decent chances but Olson was rock solid. He might finally be the one to break the 2nd place curse. Kid has improved from last season and makes an already tough task monumental when it comes to scoring on the Hawks.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

green4

Post by green4 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:10 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:I usually cheer for all northern teams at state. Not too interested in cheering for AA Hermantown playing in class A. Maybe I'll have EGF to cheer for in A.
I think I actually will cheer for Hermantown at state this year. I think this is their best chance to win and if they do, Bruce might finally retire and then they can finally opt up.
If they lose, I think Marshall will start getting more of the kids who have left their hometowns for Hermantown, and the Hawks might not be as dominant an A team as in the past.
Though, if Hermantown loses in the championship again, I would be quite amused

rainier

Post by rainier » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:19 pm

hermantown2000 wrote:So the "Soviet Union" dominated the Blue Jackets 7-0? Maybe section 7 will be a one sided affair after all!! :lol:
Actually, after two I felt pretty good about how Hibbing had performed. They came back nicely in the second, but Olson slammed the door while the Hawks picked up two goals to be up 3-0 after two.

Things just fell apart in the third, as Hibbing looked frustrated and demoralized. Hermantown's forecheck is insane, especially their top line. If Hibbing wants to entertain any notion of getting to state, they must capitalize on their pp opportunities and break the seal against Olson early. Easier said than done, although Hibbing did put up four on him last year.

I'm just hoping Hibbing puts themselves in a position to get another crack at the Hawks. Actually, I'm hoping the 4/5 winner can pull off the upset of the century and beat them in the semis. :)

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:03 pm

I used to cheer for Hermantown when they were relatively new on the tourney scene and facing private juggernauts. But that luster has since worn off. I respect their talent and skill but I don't respect the way they are doing it. Now I find it amusing when they get to the A title game. How can any team lose a championship game 6 years in a row?! The Buffalo Bills of high school hockey.

Do you believe in karma?
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:59 am

north_bear wrote:I used to cheer for Hermantown when they were relatively new on the tourney scene and facing private juggernauts. But that luster has since worn off. I respect their talent and skill but I don't respect the way they are doing it. Now I find it amusing when they get to the A title game. How can any team lose a championship game 6 years in a row?! The Buffalo Bills of high school hockey.

Do you believe in karma?
Yes, karma is alive and well!
Jeffy95 wrote:
rainier wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:What happens if Hermantown finishes 2nd again?
That would be really cool. I love the Sports curses and it's always fun to see them continue. I was really bummed when the Red Sox won. The Skrbich curse in Hermantown ranks right up there with the Curse of the Bambino and the Curse of the Billy Goat! :D
What is the Skrbich curse?
Garrett Skrbich was a Proctor kid and one of the first star players to open-enroll at Hermantown to play hockey. He went on to become the Hawks all-time leading scorer.

Local Legend has it that after the transfer a disgruntled Rails fan hung a Red-Tailed Hawk from Coach Plante's clothes line. On it was a note warning Coach Plante to back up his claims that only Hometown boys play for the Hawks by not allowing Skrbich a future Varsity spot.

When his warning went unheeded, he snuck into the Hermantown Arena and buried a Mexican Sugar Skull under the slab on the North Side of the rink between the Red and Blue lines. He then proclaimed that the Hawks would never win another Class A title.

Every Spring after the State Tournament the arena slab heaves in this exact spot, causing an ice out and slab repair. An annual subtle reminder that the curse lives on..............

oldtimehockey77

Post by oldtimehockey77 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:37 am

If Hermantown wants to stay in class A, let them, that is their decision. Our country has turned into a bunch of whiners. Whatever class they are in they can be beat. EGF did it last year and they are certainly no hockey powerhouse. Hibbing has produced teams in the past that were as good or better than Hermantown. The wheels came off the cart for Hibbing last night when they played a very good Hermantown team. Deal with it and get ready to meet Hermantown again in the section finals.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:38 am

Go Hermantown!

The fault is with the MSHSL.

They started tinkering with hockey a long time ago. The system is faulty.

They can not control transfers. The system is faulty.

They do nothing to keep hockey stars from moving on to juniors. The system is faulty.

Should Hermantown play AA.
Of course. But the system allows it.

Why not Hibbing, why not East Grand Forks, why not Thief River Falls, Alexandria, Monticello....

Take the biggest schools, youth programs, privates schools within your area and put them in AA.

rainier

Post by rainier » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:51 am

You can see the Hermantown mindset when you go into the "Hawk Dome". At first you are impressed by the long string of banners that hang from one end of the arena to the other. Then you look closer at those banners and you see they are for "Lake Superior Conference Champions", "Section 5A or 7A Champions", and "State 2nd Place" (mostly).

Is it really necessary to hang banners for your conference and section? If you have a state tourney banner, then everyone knows you obviously won your section, so what is the point of putting one up other than to artificially inflate how great your program has been?

Most arenas I go to only hang banners for state tourney appearances, and their conference championships or section championships are on a smaller sign or at least aren't hung from the rafters. This habit of hanging a banner for every conceivable minor accomplishment is totally consistent with a coach and fan base that prefers to take the trophy-studded easy road.

I will at least give them credit for putting "Class A" on their banners. I remember seeing a picture in the Strib a few years back that showed the new STA hockey locker room (which looked like an NHL locker room), and on the floor in big letters it said "State Champions" and then below it it listed the years they won the title, except it didn't say anything about those titles being in the Class A tourney. It wasn't really surprising, but it did make me roll my eyes. (Maybe STA has changed this now that they are in AA.)

If Hermantown ever goes AA, I expect the banner manufacturing industry will collapse. :)

rainier

Post by rainier » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:53 am

oldtimehockey77 wrote:If Hermantown wants to stay in class A, let them, that is their decision. Our country has turned into a bunch of whiners. Whatever class they are in they can be beat. EGF did it last year and they are certainly no hockey powerhouse. Hibbing has produced teams in the past that were as good or better than Hermantown. The wheels came off the cart for Hibbing last night when they played a very good Hermantown team. Deal with it and get ready to meet Hermantown again in the section finals.
Are you whining about people being whiners? :)

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:21 am

hermantown2000 wrote:So the "Soviet Union" dominated the Blue Jackets 7-0? Maybe section 7 will be a one sided affair after all!! :lol:
I had to laugh when I read this. A lot of people up here call them the "Evil Empire." It's actually a reference to the Yankees and getting all of the top Free Agents, but I think President Reagan would smile at the comparison.

sterfry9

Post by sterfry9 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:20 pm

north_bear wrote:I used to cheer for Hermantown when they were relatively new on the tourney scene and facing private juggernauts. But that luster has since worn off. I respect their talent and skill but I don't respect the way they are doing it.
I feel the same the way. i feel like if you polled 100 random HS hockey fans from minnesota i think a high % would answer this way when asked what their thoughts were on hermantown HS hockey team

NLHockey

Post by NLHockey » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:07 pm

sterfry9 wrote:
north_bear wrote:I used to cheer for Hermantown when they were relatively new on the tourney scene and facing private juggernauts. But that luster has since worn off. I respect their talent and skill but I don't respect the way they are doing it.
I feel the same the way. i feel like if you polled 100 random HS hockey fans from minnesota i think a high % would answer this way when asked what their thoughts were on hermantown HS hockey team
And a 100% of Hermy residents wouldnt give a rats a$$ what you thought😀

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:31 am

NLHockey wrote:
sterfry9 wrote:
And a 100% of Hermy residents wouldnt give a rats a$$ what you thought😀
Actually, they do. The Non-Residents that play there don't care, but there are plenty of residents who do. There aren't too many programs that go from 12 Mite Teams to 3 PeeWee teams at one age group. There are lots of residents there that are not happy with the influx of outsiders taking their kid's spots. Just ask some of them, they're more than happy to talk about it.

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:04 am

rainier wrote:You can see the Hermantown mindset when you go into the "Hawk Dome". At first you are impressed by the long string of banners that hang from one end of the arena to the other. Then you look closer at those banners and you see they are for "Lake Superior Conference Champions", "Section 5A or 7A Champions", and "State 2nd Place" (mostly).

Is it really necessary to hang banners for your conference and section? If you have a state tourney banner, then everyone knows you obviously won your section, so what is the point of putting one up other than to artificially inflate how great your program has been?

Most arenas I go to only hang banners for state tourney appearances, and their conference championships or section championships are on a smaller sign or at least aren't hung from the rafters. This habit of hanging a banner for every conceivable minor accomplishment is totally consistent with a coach and fan base that prefers to take the trophy-studded easy road.

I will at least give them credit for putting "Class A" on their banners. I remember seeing a picture in the Strib a few years back that showed the new STA hockey locker room (which looked like an NHL locker room), and on the floor in big letters it said "State Champions" and then below it it listed the years they won the title, except it didn't say anything about those titles being in the Class A tourney. It wasn't really surprising, but it did make me roll my eyes. (Maybe STA has changed this now that they are in AA.)

If Hermantown ever goes AA, I expect the banner manufacturing industry will collapse. :)
Agreed. The idea to hang banners for conference championships is insane. The conferences mean virtually nothing anymore, case in point: the schools that leave their conferences to build a better schedule. I could see having a smaller display for section crowns but not the same size banners that are hung for state. The small town on the west side sure do love their trophies.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!