Games Saturday 2/13

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Games Saturday 2/13

Post by elliott70 »

Austin vs Owatonna
Rochester Century vs Rochester Mayo

Providence Academy vs St. Paul Academy
Farmington vs Eastview

Moorhead vs Hill-Murray
Red Wing vs Rochester John Marshall

Breck vs Blake
Eden Prairie vs Edina

Wayzata vs Hopkins
Mounds View vs Tartan

Holy Angels vs Mahtomedi
Bloomington Jefferson vs Cretin-Derham Hall

Spring Lake Park vs AC Wings
Chanhassen vs Buffalo

Anoka vs Totino-Grace
Lakeville North vs Prior Lake

Rosemount vs Lakeville South
Apple Valley vs Eagan

Shakopee vs Burnsville
Lakeville North vs Prior Lake

Apple Valley vs Eagan
Shakopee vs Burnsville

Redwood Valley vs Waseca
Becker/Big Lake vs Fairmont

Duluth East vs Minnetonka
Chaska vs Bloomington Kennedy

St. Louis Park vs Benilde-St. Margaret's
Roseville vs Blaine

St. Paul Como Park vs St. Paul Johnson

Class A - Section 6 Boys Hockey
Prairie Centre Area (11) vs St. Cloud Tech (6)
Breckenridge/Wahpeton (10) vs Alexandria (7)
Wadena-Deer Creek (9) vs River Lakes (8)

Class AA - Section 7 Boys Hockey
Cambridge-Isanti (9) vs St. Francis (8)

Faribault vs Northfield
Park of Cottage Grove vs North St. Paul

Centennial vs Irondale
Holy Family Catholic vs Stillwater Area
green4

Post by green4 »

2-1 edina over EP after 1 period. Shots are 8-6 in favor of EP, but I would say Edina has had more chances.

Edina took control the first 5-7 minutes of the period and scored off a lose puck that the goalie couldn't control. Dornbach was credited with the goal perhaps 2 minutes in.
Ep got their first shot about 7 minutes in and was in control until about 3 minutes left in the period. Steen scored on a 2 on 1 on a nice pass. Whoever passed it blew by te Edina d.
Edina got a pp and took control te last few minutes. Scheerer tossed a puck on net and walker tipped it with 6 seconds left in the period to go up 2-1
green4

Post by green4 »

3-2 edina after two. Shots are 22-10 for Eden prairie.
Edina scored in the first minute of the period when Copland scored on a practically open net. Walker danced around the Ep defense and the goalie made a nice save but he got pulled out of the net and Copeland found the puck for an easy goal.
Johannes has done a good job getting under edina's skin and Copeland took a double minor on him which gave ep all the momentum and have dominated since. On tHe PK Edina was playing well, degrood had some good saves, but a weird bounce landed on Mittlestedt's stick and nobody besides him knew where it was. He shot and scored which was on the first half of the double penalty, but barely. That kept EP on the pp and control of the play.
Edina has been struggling to clear the zone and are chasing a lot.
You can tell these teams don't like each other, it is starting to get chippy.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

thanks
green4

Post by green4 »

3-3 headed to overtime. Shots 35-15 for EP. I'll write about the 3rd and OT when this ends
green4

Post by green4 »

Edina wins 4-3 in ot. Scheerer with the goal with 30 seconds left.
I'll write up the last period and OT now.
green4

Post by green4 »

Edina wins 4-3 in OT shots ended 37-18 for EP.

The 3rd was mostly all EP, but they didn't really have many good chances. It was just that edina had 1 shot through 14 minutes of the period. It seemed like Edina was trying to hold onto the 3-2 win, and it looked like they might do it. For EP having 37 shots, the chances were limited, and with Edina giving up 11 goals the last two games I have a feeling the issue with generating chances came from within EP.
Sullivan scored with about 8 minutes left to make it 3-3. He came into the zone on the right side, cut into the slot and took a nice shot. Degrood was right there with his glove though, the only issue was he closed It too soon. It bounced off his glove and into the net.
Giles immediately put out his low line players after the goal as a message perhaps, it was the only shift I saw them have all period.
Edina had sat back too long and struggled to get going again, but the last few minutes they picked it up a bit.
I was surprised how much the refs were letting them play. Guys were taking puches after the whistle which usually results in coincidentals, but they let them play on.

The exception to this was when EP took a penalty early in OT. I missed it, but believe it was a stick infraction. Pretty much the only thing called all game. Edina didn't score, and didn't look too great, the most notable thing was brinkman holding 3 attempted clears in a row. But it gave Edina the momentum. With about a minute left, Phillips went from behind Edina's net to behind EP's where he made a nice pass and Edina almost converted. Every EP player collapsed to the front of the net at that moment and the goalie was sprawling. The puck squirted out to Mickleson who faked a shot and passed it to Scheerer who was coming into the zone. EP probably screened their own goalie and he fired it upper right for the win.
It was interesting to note that in OT only Phillips, Brinkman and Mickleson were out for Defense. Johnson is still hurt.

Something is off with EP. They are clearly bigger, stronger, faster and better than Edina and probably most teams, but i don't know why they don't generate many chances and why they are losing. The skill and depth is there. The goaltending is average, but when they are doubling up teams in shots it shouldn't really matter.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

St. Louis Park leads Benilde 2-1 after two. :o

A bit of a letdown perhaps after the Wayzata game and losing Gleekel to injury?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

MNHockeyFan wrote:St. Louis Park leads Benilde 2-1 after two. :o

A bit of a letdown perhaps after the Wayzata game and losing Gleekel to injury?
Red Knights come back to score four in the 3rd and make it a 5-2 final.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Meanwhile, Duluth East trails Minnetonka by five (1-6) midway through the 3rd period.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

MNHockeyFan wrote:Meanwhile, Duluth East trails Minnetonka by five (1-6) midway through the 3rd period.
And that's the final, 6-1 Tonka.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Green4

No one on any website or other media outlets comes close to your period by period perceptions and write ups.

Congrats on that; and maybe a syndicate of the Forum, YHH , FTP ,Cold Omaha , GRHS and others could come up with commission system so you could work a few less hours at Braemar and join the rest of us at more games every week so you can do your great reporting

Question: do you take notes during the period, or are you able to remember everything until you write it up? It's almost like you have a video memory!
WendyClark

Post by WendyClark »

WestMetro wrote:Green4

No one on any website or other media outlets comes close to your period by period perceptions and write ups.

Congrats on that; and maybe a syndicate of the Forum, YHH , FTP ,Cold Omaha , GRHS and others could come up with commission system so you could work a few less hours at Braemar and join the rest of us at more games every week so you can do your great reporting

Question: do you take notes during the period, or are you able to remember everything until you write it up? It's almost like you have a video memory!
Were you at the game? Is the score inaccurate?
green4

Post by green4 »

WestMetro wrote:Green4

This is probably my last year working at Braemar so next year I should be able to make it to more games. For the most part I just remember key events for the period and type them during intermission. If I wait any longer than the intermission I would probably forget how each play happens. I'd rather type it up anyway compared to watching the zamboni, so it is a good system for me. But I don't take notes during the period, the game moves too fast, if I tried to write anything I would miss the next thing. And to be honest, I typically forget 2-3 things a period that I would like to share, so I wish could have a video memory.

I think with the main source of finding updates being through twitter, we have shorten are summaries to fit that template. Twitter is good for checking scores, but to know how everything happened, it does not really help. So that is probably the main reason I type it out, I think it tells the story of the game better.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

green4 wrote:Edina wins 4-3 in OT shots ended 37-18 for EP.

The 3rd was mostly all EP, but they didn't really have many good chances. It was just that edina had 1 shot through 14 minutes of the period. It seemed like Edina was trying to hold onto the 3-2 win, and it looked like they might do it. For EP having 37 shots, the chances were limited, and with Edina giving up 11 goals the last two games I have a feeling the issue with generating chances came from within EP.
Sullivan scored with about 8 minutes left to make it 3-3. He came into the zone on the right side, cut into the slot and took a nice shot. Degrood was right there with his glove though, the only issue was he closed It too soon. It bounced off his glove and into the net.
Giles immediately put out his low line players after the goal as a message perhaps, it was the only shift I saw them have all period.
Edina had sat back too long and struggled to get going again, but the last few minutes they picked it up a bit.
I was surprised how much the refs were letting them play. Guys were taking puches after the whistle which usually results in coincidentals, but they let them play on.

The exception to this was when EP took a penalty early in OT. I missed it, but believe it was a stick infraction. Pretty much the only thing called all game. Edina didn't score, and didn't look too great, the most notable thing was brinkman holding 3 attempted clears in a row. But it gave Edina the momentum. With about a minute left, Phillips went from behind Edina's net to behind EP's where he made a nice pass and Edina almost converted. Every EP player collapsed to the front of the net at that moment and the goalie was sprawling. The puck squirted out to Mickleson who faked a shot and passed it to Scheerer who was coming into the zone. EP probably screened their own goalie and he fired it upper right for the win.
It was interesting to note that in OT only Phillips, Brinkman and Mickleson were out for Defense. Johnson is still hurt.

Something is off with EP. They are clearly bigger, stronger, faster and better than Edina and probably most teams, but i don't know why they don't generate many chances and why they are losing. The skill and depth is there. The goaltending is average, but when they are doubling up teams in shots it shouldn't really matter.
Nice write up.. The 2nd, 3rd and most of the OT, EP was all over the hornets. I have never seen a EP/Edina game where the Hornets looked completely outmatched for the majority of the game and yet, somehow, they win.

I thought the 4 min Powerplay that EP had in the 2nd, I think, should be mentioned. It was a killer for Edina. EP was in total domination and scored the (1) goal and EP was really wearing the Hornets down - but to your point, EP could not score more than the 1 goal during that stretch..

I thought Degrood played outstanding - He made a few game savers.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

I passed up Saturdays Edina/EP day game in favor of the Tonka/East night game. That was a big mistake. Thought East would keep it close, maybe even win it to get themselves mentally ready for the playoffs. (Although Randolph skipped the game, must have been watching UNO? this weekend.)

Anyway, I saw some of the comments on Twitters sites, but wanted to throw it out there on the Forum for anyone who saw the game.

Thoughts on the reffing at that game?

Green4 made the comment from the EP/Edina game that the refs let the kids play.

Couldnt have been more different at the Tonka game. East never recovered from the double major 5 on 3. The first was justified. The second I didnt think was even a penalty much less a major, although admittedly it was on the far boards from where I was sitting. Then there was a slash call on East for stick on the goalies glove after the save, Im not even sure the whistle had yet blown. Most times, that call is not made if it was just one tap.

Those are just some examples, I thought the refs were overly involved in this game. Especially considering the northern teams generally bring a more physical hockey game, which if kept clean is just part of their strategy.

Not excuses for the Hounds, they had a bad night all around anyway.

I just hope Section 7 and 8 are able to bring some good clean checking to the quarterfinals at the X.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

WestMetro wrote:.

I just hope Section 7 and 8 are able to bring some good clean checking to the quarterfinals at the X.

If Bemidji is there, they will hit.
It will be clean but the metro kids may wonder to where their lower unit disappeared.