Duluth East vs Elk River

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Hounds
41%
ER Elks
59%

Total votes: 46

elliott70

Duluth East vs Elk River

Post by elliott70 »

Do the DEast Hounds have any chance?

And what ever happened to EREmpireStrikesBack?
Usthockey13

Re: Duluth East vs Elk River

Post by Usthockey13 »

elliott70 wrote:Do the DEast Hounds have any chance?

Ill take the Hounds 4-3 in OT
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Elk River will exorcise all the demons from Amsoil and win 4-0 sending all the Rapids fans into a frenzy.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

greenwayraider wrote:Elk River will exorcise all the demons from Amsoil and win 4-0 sending all the Rapids fans into a frenzy.
There are many demons, not sure 1 game will get it done.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Elks are going to state.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

greenwayraider wrote:Elk River will exorcise all the demons from Amsoil and win 4-0 sending all the Rapids fans into a frenzy.
What, you're trying to tell me that GR doesn't have any love for their northern brethren? :wink: Or that they'd really rather play surging ER instead of struggling East in the final--the team that spanked them in December instead of the one they outplayed for most of the game in a January win? :wink: :wink: :wink:
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Karl, you're asking a question you already know the answer to. When you hear how loudly the Rapids section will be cheering as the final seconds count down you'll know the reason. Rapids fully expects to beat Cloquet and Elk River and go to state. I'm not so sure about that but I'm just a Greenway fan.
hermantown2000

Post by hermantown2000 »

To show up or not to show up? Which East team is going to show up? That is the question!!
dherman8

Post by dherman8 »

So, I haven't been keeping up with teams this year like past years. I am definitely for the northern teams. Some won't like me for saying this, but I wouldn't mind getting to see Rapids at state. However, if it's East again, I am fine with that.

What I want to know is why the sky falling for East? Sure, they only won 2 to 1 against Andover, but didn't Andover just play Elk River to a one goal game? Let's be real here... Sure East only won by one but if the shots on goal were really 40 ish to 10 ish against Andover, the sky isn't falling. That means Andover was getting one shot every five minutes of game time. That makes that 2 to 1 game look quite dominant.

Pair that with the fact East beat Elk 5 to 2 earlier this year and you need to keep in mind this is the same section tournament that East normally owns.... Am I missing something here?
Last edited by dherman8 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

dherman8 wrote:So, I haven't been keeping up with teams this year like past years. I am definitely for the northern teams. Some wont like me for saying this, but I wouldn't mind getting to see rapids at state. However, if it's East again, I am fine with that.

What I want to know is the sky falling for East? Sure, they only won 2 to 1 against Andover, but didn't Andover just play Elk River to a one goal game? Let's be real here... Sure East only won by one but if the shots in goal were really 40 ish to 10 ish against Andover, the sky isn't falling. That means Andover was getting one shot every five minutes of game time. That makes that 2 to 1 game look quite dominant.

Pair that with the fact East beat Elk 5 to 2 earlier this year and you need to keep in mind this is the same section tournament that East normally owns.... Am I missing something here?
What you are missing is that ER was short top line players against the Hounds, Grand Rapids is the best team, Cloquet has a nice coach, and DEast sux.
dherman8

Post by dherman8 »

elliott70 wrote:
dherman8 wrote:So, I haven't been keeping up with teams this year like past years. I am definitely for the northern teams. Some wont like me for saying this, but I wouldn't mind getting to see rapids at state. However, if it's East again, I am fine with that.

What I want to know is the sky falling for East? Sure, they only won 2 to 1 against Andover, but didn't Andover just play Elk River to a one goal game? Let's be real here... Sure East only won by one but if the shots in goal were really 40 ish to 10 ish against Andover, the sky isn't falling. That means Andover was getting one shot every five minutes of game time. That makes that 2 to 1 game look quite dominant.

What you are missing is that ER was short top line players against the Hounds, Grand Rapids is the best team, Cloquet has a nice coach, and DEast sux.
I was more focusing on the game against Elk. It doesn't look like East will make state, but I don't see where all the confidence for Elk is coming from.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

dherman8 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

I was more focusing on the game against Elk. It doesn't look like East will make state, but I don't see where all the confidence for Elk is coming from.

vs. Grand Rapids
W 6-2 F

Tue, Dec 22
vs. Centennial
T 2-2 F/OT

Mon, Dec 28
vs. Prior Lake
W 3-1 F

Tue, Dec 29
vs. Benilde-St. Margaret's
L 3-2 F

Wed, Dec 30
vs. Lakeville North
W 4-2 F

Maybe from this stretch of games when they were healthy and clicking.
Five of their seven losses came to highly ranked teams. Their other two losses (including to DEast) were with at least two starters missing.

None the less, GR is the best team and it would be nice to see them at state.

If not them then ER.

Not that I dislike the Hounds but they have had 7 shots at it and once in awhile a guy would like to see something new. And DEast SUX.
Frequent_MN_Flyer

Post by Frequent_MN_Flyer »

I'll be cheering for Elky, but kind of want East to win just to finally beat them in a section final.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

elliott70 wrote:
dherman8 wrote:
elliott70 wrote: What you are missing is that ER was short top line players against the Hounds, Grand Rapids is the best team, Cloquet has a nice coach, and DEast sux.

vs. Grand Rapids
W 6-2 F

Tue, Dec 22
vs. Centennial
T 2-2 F/OT

Mon, Dec 28
vs. Prior Lake
W 3-1 F

Tue, Dec 29
vs. Benilde-St. Margaret's
L 3-2 F

Wed, Dec 30
vs. Lakeville North
W 4-2 F

Maybe from this stretch of games when they were healthy and clicking.
Five of their seven losses came to highly ranked teams. Their other two losses (including to DEast) were with at least two starters missing.

None the less, GR is the best team and it would be nice to see them at state.

If not them then ER.

Not that I dislike the Hounds but they have had 7 shots at it and once in awhile a guy would like to see something new. And DEast SUX.
Jax Murray missed all the games listed here.
hockeyfan2612

Post by hockeyfan2612 »

Hounds 3-1. Northern Hockey all day!
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

I still would like them both to lose on Saturday!
After last year I want to play East and put them in running time.
Mierhoff is no Gunnar Howg. [-X
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

dherman8 wrote:So, I haven't been keeping up with teams this year like past years. I am definitely for the northern teams. Some won't like me for saying this, but I wouldn't mind getting to see Rapids at state. However, if it's East again, I am fine with that.

What I want to know is why the sky falling for East? Sure, they only won 2 to 1 against Andover, but didn't Andover just play Elk River to a one goal game? Let's be real here... Sure East only won by one but if the shots on goal were really 40 ish to 10 ish against Andover, the sky isn't falling. That means Andover was getting one shot every five minutes of game time. That makes that 2 to 1 game look quite dominant.

No, that's the reason people won't like you.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

hadenuf wrote: Mierhoff is no Gunnar Howg. [-X
Trivia: one of these stat lines belongs to Howg last year, and one belongs to Meierhoff this year. Which is which?

.892 SV %, 2.68 GAA, 0 SO
.895 SV %, 2.36 GAA, 2 SO
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Always have a chance when they get to play home games throughout sections. But it won't happen this year.

Always lurking.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

karl(east) wrote:
Trivia: one of these stat lines belongs to Howg last year, and one belongs to Meierhoff this year. Which is which?

I was referring to Howg doing his Octopus impression in the semi-finals last year to steal the game the game against Rapids. Regular season stats went out the window last week.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:

Always have a chance when they get to play home games throughout sections. But it won't happen this year.

Always lurking.

:idea:
Hi. Nice to hear from you.
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

Any update on Peterson, Karl?
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

karl(east) wrote:

I'm gonna go with Meierhiff with the better stats?
Houndhockey

Post by Houndhockey »

An experienced hockey mind like yours actually wonders if Duluth East has a chance? Did they have a chance last year against the feared Elks or Rapids? C'mon man, y'all know better than to count out the Hounds. East just needs to worry about the semis. When they get to section finals, they win.
East High Rah Rah Rah....
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Houndhockey wrote:

An experienced hockey mind like yours actually wonders if Duluth East has a chance? Did they have a chance last year against the feared Elks or Rapids? C'mon man, y'all know better than to count out the Hounds. East just needs to worry about the semis. When they get to section finals, they win.

It took 24 hours but I got you to bite.

But seriously, last year things came together, the coach managed a smoke and mirror trick AND the goalie did what goalies do to be champions.

I don't see that happening.
Things are not clicking real well, the goalie is good but will he step up, and the coach's mind is elsewhere.

Elk River 5
DEast 2.