2AA/6AA BIG/Braemar Saturday schedule

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:12 pm

Maybe the MSHSLs bad math hurt Tonka not having a quarterfinal game. Each section should have at least 8 teams and the historically weak sections like Stats section 1AA should have 9 teams.

green4

Post by green4 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Edina up 1-0 after 1. Shots were 11-7 for edina. Both teams had two powerplays,

Phillips scored on a pp from the point. He kept his shot on the ice and it found its way through a pile of traffic.
Wayzata had some great chances on their second powerplay. Degrood robbed Sorensen from te point with a glove save, and shortly after wayzata made a tic tac toe play where the net was wide open, but somehow he shot it into degrood. It was hard to see from my spot how wayzata didn't score.
Shortly after that, walker got a breakaway on the PK and schillings made a nice save. Giles was upset about w hook that went uncalled. I would have called it, but I'm biased :D
I think the story of the period was wayzata's chances being by holding the zone and continued pressure. Edina is struggling to breakout. But at the same time, edina's chances are coming on te Rush. The chances are pretty even, but which one is likely to continue to get their chances?
I would say that favors wayzata, it can be hard to rely on 2-1 and 3-1 to occur all night.

hshockeyfan8

Post by hshockeyfan8 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:00 pm

Another great section Saturday at Braemar. Tough for the Fire to go down to the Eagles again, 3 of the last 4 years. Quickly turning in to one of the most entertaining playoff rivalries in the state. Gotta take the Eagles over the Lakers in the finals.

green4

Post by green4 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:08 pm

3- 2 wayzata after 2. I missed the shot announcement for wayzata, but edina had 5 that period for 16 total. I would guess wayzata has around 20

It kind of went like I explained last period. The Trojans patched up their D, edina struggled to generate any chances.
Anderson and Sorenson were very good on D for Wayzata. In fact, Anderson made a big stop on Crosby who looked to be on the way to a breakaway when it was 1-0.
That period was dominated by wayzata.
First goal was by Batra. In edina's zone wayzata found the puck off the draw, Batra shot it and it ramped up an Edina Dman's stick for a top shelf goal.
Greeninger scored to make it 2-1. He got a nice outlet pass in the neutral zone, Phillips fell in transition and he had a breakaway. Just took a shot right by degrood, low blocker side.
Clossette made it 3-1 after Anderson took a shot from te point and degrood left a big rebound in the slot. A pretty easy goal. That is the only one degrood played poorly.
Edina scored with about 12 seconds left to make it 3-2. Copeland carried the puck into the zone, went give and go, but found himself in the right corner, behind the net. He shot the puck, which I thought was a wasted chance, but schilling lost it and scheerer drove the net and powered it in.

For the most part wayzata kept all the shots to the outside for edina. They were clearly the better team. Much bigger, stronger and deeper but edina has scored a few goals at the end of the period this year and that could be a difference maker. Wayzata has really worn edina down though, edina seems they are just not deep enough.
One thing to keep an eye on, walker took a big hit and it looked like he banged his head. He kept playing but it looked a bit scary

gorilla1

Post by gorilla1 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:23 pm

in the EP game it was a hand pass. a friend videotaped it and it was clearly a hand pass. i'll try and post it here.

green4

Post by green4 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:16 pm

5-3 final with Wayzata winning. I missed the end shots because I was with my dad and he wanted to get out of there in a hurry.
Probably not as close a game as the score makes it appear.
The other games I watched Edina play Wayzata it felt the same, frustrating. They forecheck so well and it wears their opponent down. By the time you break it out, you dump to get a change and wayzata picks it up and is going back at you. When you finally actually carry it into their zone, it feels like one and done. One shot and they break it out. They do a great job forcing everything to the outside and blocking shots. It is just a frustrating team to watch when you are rooting for the other team.
The thing about this Wayzata team that I think is different than others is that they are built for this system that O'leary has put in place. When you look back, O'leary perhaps forced this style on players like Zimmer, who would not benefit from it. But now, you look at Sorenson, Senden, Anderson this is a system that fits their style of play.
Anyway, in the 3rd Wayzata scored pretty quickly to make it 4-2. Linstrand took a shot from the left point, and Riley tipped it for a goal. From my spot you could see the whole thing. Riley really chopped down on the tip, and it just turned into a slow dribbler. I could see degrood moving in the opposite direction as he read the initial shot.
At that moment Edina needed a response, otherwise they were done. They never got it, and it just felt like they were gonna lose, they were just out of gas.
Wayzata scored from the right point on a knuckle puck like shot from I believe Kubinski. Degrood probably should have saved it, but he might have been screened. Hard to tell from my angle, but the shot looked innocent. But that made it 5-2 with not much time left.
Edina scored with around 2 minutes left when Mickleson's shot was deflected by Scheerer. It felt similar to the goal by Riley.
In the second to last minute Edina had some good chances. Scheerer, Copeland and Brinkman all had some looks. Brinkman had a wide open shot and I thought he was gonna score but Urban for wayzata made a fantastic block where he seemed to catch the puck.
The final minute ended with Wayzata gaining the red line and dumping it back into Edina's zone continuously.

BIG was packed for this game, probably at 120% capacity. It was a fun atmosphere, Wayzata had the band and a better student section vocally.
Wayzata earned the win, they were the better team and to beat a team four times in a season shows that.

edgeUcated

Post by edgeUcated » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:32 am

SuperStar wrote:
Nuts&Bolts wrote:The hand pass is the most over called and incorrectly called infraction in HS hockey and the net being hit off intentionally is the most uncalled thing.
Couldn't agree more.
You lost me there - "most over called and incorrect infraction" -- I do not believe there is a more non-subjective call in all the hockey rules kingdom. Everything else is an interpretation and very subjective. i.e. Embellishment.
Are you saying the game should allow hand or batted passes?

I am sure the High Integrity, Upstanding, Ethical HF Coach would rather lose a hard fought battle vs. being handed (pun intended) a victory off an illegal goal........Ok puns all the way around. Sorry but the refs got that particular call correct - so kudos to them on that one. Can't speak for the other calls or non-calls.... I am sure you can find missed calls on both side during the course of the game. I do recall seeing some non-calls on both.

Old adage don't let the refs decide a game -- just score. HF goalie played an outstanding game, but thought EP had the stronger skaters as the shots indicated. EP biggest problem is and has always been scoring.

Time heals all.

green4

Post by green4 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:14 am

It's too bad that the refs made some bad calls, but I doubt they were out to get Holy family. if you take away the checking from behind that happened with no time left from the Holy family player, then they had 6 penalties to EP's 5.
In the end, EP doubled up holy family in shots, if you are in your own zone that much you will probably take some penalties.

Channel 4 news had the waved off goal on video so maybe you guys can check there to get a replay.

mnhockfan99

Post by mnhockfan99 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:19 am

Refs certainly weren't perfect but these are HS hockey refs were talking about, you have to be mature enough to deal with whatever calls are made and move on, that is part of the game. I thought HF coach's complete lack of composure on the bench throughout the game was a poor leadership example and could've cost his team from a composure standpoint as leading up to the disallowed goal they were buzzing. I thought I was seeing Tony Sarsland 2.0 the way he was yelling and standing in FRONT of his players on the bench!

Thought it was a very good game, great atmosphere for HS hockey and sad one of these really solid teams won't be playing in state. I thought even before PL beat Trucks that the winner of EP-HF was going to be in state.

Clarkkent

Post by Clarkkent » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:45 am

I can count on very few fingers how many times officials have truly had a final impact on a game. The EP/HF game was one of those. Not to bash but it was just puzzling. The first coincidental penalty the EP shoved HF mask up over his nose and the HF didn't even react except for skating back to the bench. The second trip on EP where the HF kid was called for embellishment was crazy, the EP kid totally took the feet out from right under him. I was 20 feet away. The retracted goal was also a joke. They had plenty of time to call a hand pass but did not. None of the officials made the hand pass signal that I saw and the puck was bouncing around players from both teams. It was at least 7 seconds after that that HF scored. If no goal would've been scored, a hand pass would not have been called-simple. Then they call the GOAL JUDGE in who is a MINOR official and has no authority on any call other than if the puck cross the line, gets waved over for his input...WHAT?? THAT showed the complete ineptitude of these officials officiating a very big semi final game between two very good teams. In what I believe was the second period HF #22 got crossed checked with a 2-hand to the mask and the ref was looking right at it-You could hear the contact throughout the building. What referee association are they from? Then of course, EP goes on a pp 1 minute after on a neutral zone call that, based on previous call, could have been embellishment too- and 30 seconds after that EP has 6 skaters and the puck hits the skate of player coming off the ice. Easy call. So bottom line, especially if you didn't see the game in person, the refs did sadly impact this game several times over.

Ref22

Post by Ref22 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:02 am

Clarkkent wrote:I can count on very few fingers how many times officials have truly had a final impact on a game. The EP/HF game was one of those. Not to bash but it was just puzzling. The first coincidental penalty the EP shoved HF mask up over his nose and the HF didn't even react except for skating back to the bench. The second trip on EP where the HF kid was called for embellishment was crazy, the EP kid totally took the feet out from right under him. I was 20 feet away. The retracted goal was also a joke. They had plenty of time to call a hand pass but did not. None of the officials made the hand pass signal that I saw and the puck was bouncing around players from both teams. It was at least 7 seconds after that that HF scored. If no goal would've been scored, a hand pass would not have been called-simple. Then they call the GOAL JUDGE in who is a MINOR official and has no authority on any call other than if the puck cross the line, gets waved over for his input...WHAT?? THAT showed the complete ineptitude of these officials officiating a very big semi final game between two very good teams. In what I believe was the second period HF #22 got crossed checked with a 2-hand to the mask and the ref was looking right at it-You could hear the contact throughout the building. What referee association are they from? Then of course, EP goes on a pp 1 minute after on a neutral zone call that, based on previous call, could have been embellishment too- and 30 seconds after that EP has 6 skaters and the puck hits the skate of player coming off the ice. Easy call. So bottom line, especially if you didn't see the game in person, the refs did sadly impact this game several times over.
Minneapolis. They had a rough game.

BowlusGoon

Sorry I disagree.

Post by BowlusGoon » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:51 am

Clarkkent wrote:I can count on very few fingers how many times officials have truly had a final impact on a game. The EP/HF game was one of those. Not to bash but it was just puzzling. The first coincidental penalty the EP shoved HF mask up over his nose and the HF didn't even react except for skating back to the bench. The second trip on EP where the HF kid was called for embellishment was crazy, the EP kid totally took the feet out from right under him. I was 20 feet away. The retracted goal was also a joke. They had plenty of time to call a hand pass but did not. None of the officials made the hand pass signal that I saw and the puck was bouncing around players from both teams. It was at least 7 seconds after that that HF scored. If no goal would've been scored, a hand pass would not have been called-simple. Then they call the GOAL JUDGE in who is a MINOR official and has no authority on any call other than if the puck cross the line, gets waved over for his input...WHAT?? THAT showed the complete ineptitude of these officials officiating a very big semi final game between two very good teams. In what I believe was the second period HF #22 got crossed checked with a 2-hand to the mask and the ref was looking right at it-You could hear the contact throughout the building. What referee association are they from? Then of course, EP goes on a pp 1 minute after on a neutral zone call that, based on previous call, could have been embellishment too- and 30 seconds after that EP has 6 skaters and the puck hits the skate of player coming off the ice. Easy call. So bottom line, especially if you didn't see the game in person, the refs did sadly impact this game several times over.
I was at the game to watch what I expected to be a great game. I do not have any allegiance to Hf or EP. What I saw through out the game was EP dominating HF, and a very undisciplined HF team. The HF head coach was barking at every call the ref made and was really out of control. Unfortunately the HF players fed of their coaches antics. I was really embarrassed for the HF coach, was very animated the entire game. I saw a lot of stick work by the HF team in the first period and an EP team who ignored the nonsense until midway thru the 2nd. EP started to retaliate the rest of the game. The play in particular you call out for the conincidental penalties you fail to mention the HF throwing the first punch prior to his face mask getting shove up his nose. I think taking both players was the right call...I also saw a HF player spear an EP player in the cup, and the EP player returns the favor, and the HF player giving him a 2 hand whack to the ankles. I have to be honest I do not feel HF was being screwed by the refs. All penalties a saw were legitimate, they could have called a few more on both teams but they were letting the teams play.

The hand pass was the correct call. If you want to blame anyone, blame HF . It was an another undisiplaned play by HF. Your on a power play no way do you jump up swat the puck to a teammate. That will get called every time. The puck went directly to a HF player and he gets 2 shots off. EP did not touch the puck. It was the correct call.

You also cannot assume HF would have won that game given the goal stands. Shots were 2:1 in favor of EP. HF had plenty of time to score, but HF followed the lead of their coach and played undisiplaned hockey and EP SCORES 2 times. HF finished the game with a check from behind...sorry I was not impressed with HF and I don't think they would have made it to state. EP HAS GOALIE issues, and I won't be surprised if they go down on Wednesday.
Here is the video, including the hand pass.

http://youtu.be/pL3ahS-JptY

WarmUpTheBus

Re: Sorry I disagree.

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:42 am

BowlusGoon wrote:
I was at the game to watch what I expected to be a great game. I do not have any allegiance to Hf or EP. What I saw through out the game was EP dominating HF, and a very undisciplined HF team. The HF head coach was barking at every call the ref made and was really out of control. Unfortunately the HF players fed of their coaches antics. I was really embarrassed for the HF coach, was very animated the entire game. I saw a lot of stick work by the HF team in the first period and an EP team who ignored the nonsense until midway thru the 2nd. EP started to retaliate the rest of the game. The play in particular you call out for the conincidental penalties you fail to mention the HF throwing the first punch prior to his face mask getting shove up his nose. I think taking both players was the right call...I also saw a HF player spear an EP player in the cup, and the EP player returns the favor, and the HF player giving him a 2 hand whack to the ankles. I have to be honest I do not feel HF was being screwed by the refs. All penalties a saw were legitimate, they could have called a few more on both teams but they were letting the teams play.

The hand pass was the correct call. If you want to blame anyone, blame HF . It was an another undisiplaned play by HF. Your on a power play no way do you jump up swat the puck to a teammate. That will get called every time. The puck went directly to a HF player and he gets 2 shots off. EP did not touch the puck. It was the correct call.

You also cannot assume HF would have won that game given the goal stands. Shots were 2:1 in favor of EP. HF had plenty of time to score, but HF followed the lead of their coach and played undisiplaned hockey and EP SCORES 2 times. HF finished the game with a check from behind...sorry I was not impressed with HF and I don't think they would have made it to state. EP HAS GOALIE issues, and I won't be surprised if they go down on Wednesday.

I sat on the Eden Prairie side in the first period and according the Eden Prairie fans the refs definitely were favoring Holy Family.
I sat on the Holy Family side in the second and third and according the the HF fans the refs were definitely favoring EP.
Referees can be funny that way.
They ultimately made the correct call you on the hand pass disallowed goal. The HF fans disagreed. I'm not sure what the EP fans thought of the call because I wasn't over there.

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:17 pm

BowlusGoon wrote:

You don't have be impressed with SOG, In most games it doesn't mean much - cause 90% of the shots are from the outside - In most High School games the SOG are inaccruate to say the least - its parents of the local rink keeping track and 99% of the time they are way off - They even counted Goals as shots on net - which they are NOT. They will count count shots that hit the pipe, Which are not SOG, etc..

It wasn't a hand pass - VERY CLEAR on your own video..It was a puck batted down and clearly hit EP players stick - Watch number 4 for EP at go down and stick out his stick..Very clear! and then HF played the puck. Total 'rob job' by the refs - VERY CLEAR! Shots on net don't mean Sh__. Scoring chances mean everything.

Holy Family got SHAFTED in the 2nd and 3rd period with calls. - It is clear and no doubt about.. 100% absolutely no doubt.

Clarkkent

Post by Clarkkent » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:59 pm

How can anyone watching video call that a hand pass--After that goal and EP players complaining, the ref re-points at the goal reconfirming goal.

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:07 pm

It's a day later and I still can't believe the refs were talking to the goal judge on that goal after they spent seven minutes doing an imitation of the NFL refs commercial. I'd give anything if they had mikes and they were on and we could have listened. Wow! GB

BowlusGoon

Post by BowlusGoon » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:42 pm

SuperStar wrote:
BowlusGoon wrote:

You don't have be impressed with SOG, In most games it doesn't mean much - cause 90% of the shots are from the outside - In most High School games the SOG are inaccruate to say the least - its parents of the local rink keeping track and 99% of the time they are way off - They even counted Goals as shots on net - which they are NOT. They will count count shots that hit the pipe, Which are not SOG, etc..

It wasn't a hand pass - VERY CLEAR on your own video..It was a puck batted down and clearly hit EP players stick - Watch number 4 for EP at go down and stick out his stick..Very clear! and then HF played the puck. Total 'rob job' by the refs - VERY CLEAR! Shots on net don't mean Sh__. Scoring chances mean everything.

Holy Family got SHAFTED in the 2nd and 3rd period with calls. - It is clear and no doubt about.. 100% absolutely no doubt.
(b) A player or goalkeeper shall not be allowed to “bat” the puck in the air, or push it along the ice with his hand, directly to a teammate unless the “hand pass” has been initiated and completed in his defending zone, in which case play shall be allowed to continue. If the “hand pass” occurs in the neutral or attacking zone, a stoppage of play will occur and a face-off will take place according to last play face-off rules provided no territorial advantage has been gained.

No goal can be scored as a result of the puck being propelled by the hand of an attacking player regardless if the puck enters the goal directly from the hand or deflects off of any player prior to entering the goal.

green4

Post by green4 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:09 pm

SuperStar wrote:They even counted Goals as shots on net - which they are NOT.
Uhhh, yes they are. If you shoot the puck in the net, it counts as a shot on net...
If I shoot the puck on breakaway as the first shot of the game and I score, the scoreboard would not say 1 goal and 0 shots.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/dictionar ... -goal.aspx

You can check out the link if you don't believe me

green4

Post by green4 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:15 pm

After watching the video, to me, that is a hand pass. The HF player bats it down and it looks like another HF player touches it first. Right there is should be blown dead.
I think the Ep players touches it after the attempted shot.
I am not sure I agree with the ruling to overturn the call once it was initially ruled a goal when they have limited evidence.
But in the end, I think it was a hand pass

edgeUcated

Post by edgeUcated » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:28 pm

SuperStar wrote:
BowlusGoon wrote:

So you are basically saying the HF goalie was not as good as we thought --- nice!!! SOG overrated I guess.......

SS - it was a batted hand passed that was never controlled by EP - bouncing off an EP player body or stick does not illct monentary control.

Agree to disagree and onto the next controversial calls -

hockeyguy272

Post by hockeyguy272 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:56 pm

Superstar's argument lost all credibility when he tried to say the people in the box mess up the shots because they think goals are shots..... [-X

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:44 am

hockeyguy272 wrote:Superstar's argument lost all credibility when he tried to say the people in the box mess up the shots because they think goals are shots..... [-X
I lose credibility..??? Talk a walk man.

SOG are very inaccruate at alot of levels. A Goal scored is NOT a SOG - Hitting Pipes, Wide shots, over the net shots, ect..Just because a goalie makes contact with the puck doesn't mean its a SOG - I am sure you know this. Being at the game I would say the shots were 22-30 - Outside of the first period, the game evened up pretty good.

Moe for HF played extremely well - I said that early - Great game and great season for Jared Moe and the Stauber kid.

Bottom line is HF got shafted by the calls - I think everyone is in agreement with that.

Missed calls for HF:
2 x High Stickings - 2nd & 3rd periods
Checking from Behind in the 3rd
Too Many Men in the 3rd
Tripping in the 3rd
Goal taken away in the 3rd.

And then they get called for "embellishment"?? And get called on a slash with 5 mins left in a 2-2 tie game..? Complete Joke.

EP total out played them in the first period - I take nothing from EP - Its the refs and missed calls that were so blatant, it wasn't even funny.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:55 am

Superstar: Sounds like you would make a great ref!

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:30 am

hockeyguy272 wrote:Superstar's argument lost all credibility when he tried to say the people in the box mess up the shots because they think goals are shots..... [-X
Yup. :roll:

observer

Post by observer » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:08 am

Let me help you with a little something to tell your team.
The refs are in charge. Sounds like your team didn't know that important fact. Refs get to call whatever they want. Usually the coaches fault for not telling the team that important detail. Players mimic their coach. If he's a fusser the team, and crowd, will be full of fussers too.