Section 7AA Final

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins 7AA?

Grand Rapids
58%
Duluth East
42%

Total votes: 45

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

What a game. Wow. Congrats to Rapids. I'm mostly incoherent, but GR earned it, and thanks to the Hounds for this incredible run of seven straight and these seniors for all those memories, especially last year. It's been a delight.
mnhockey1501

Post by mnhockey1501 »

Personally, I am pumped for the tourney. Last year, none of the games were that close and it was pretty much the same teams as most years. New teams you get to see, and more kids from different get to experience the Tourney, also helping in growing the respective programs. Everyone on the forums were saying how you never see Cinderellas anymore, well here you go, a tourney full of them. No DE, Edina, Hill (maybe) Blaine/Centennial, Lakeville N/S. If you really just want to see good hockey, sections are where that is at with packed, smaller venues and rivalries.
bemused

Post by bemused »

Slammer wrote:What an epic fail by the hounds.

Patience
hermantown2000

Post by hermantown2000 »

Ding dong!! The king is dead!! The dragon has been slayed! !The evil empire defeated!! What a game!! Unreal!! I listened to the ending on radio on my way home from a dance tonight! ! Thought it was going to ot but East was penalized. Speaking of dancing they are probably really going crazy on the streets, bars and restaurants in Grand Rapids. Greyhounds up by 2 goals midway through final period.Game over right! Think again!! UNREAL!!
green4

Post by green4 »

east hockey wrote:
Slammer wrote:This will be the most boring state tournament in recent history.
I'm looking forward to seeing teams like Bemidji, Stillwater and Farmington in it. East? Rapids deserves to go.

Lee
And Burnsville! This will be a great state tournament! Not one I was expecting a few weeks ago, I expected some high ranked teams, but with the parity this year we probably should have expected something like this.

The funny thing with the tournament is you can never win with some people. People complain if the top teams aren't there, or if the same teams go every year, but then others complain if the traditional teams are missing. People just need to relax and enjoy some great hockey, it will be awesome.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

green4 wrote:
east hockey wrote:
Slammer wrote:This will be the most boring state tournament in recent history.
I'm looking forward to seeing teams like Bemidji, Stillwater and Farmington in it. East? Rapids deserves to go.

Lee
And Burnsville! This will be a great state tournament! Not one I was expecting a few weeks ago, I expected some high ranked teams, but with the parity this year we probably should have expected something like this.

The funny thing with the tournament is you can never win with some people. People complain if the top teams aren't there, or if the same teams go every year, but then others complain if the traditional teams are missing. People just need to relax and enjoy some great hockey, it will be awesome.
With East not being in it, I'll be able to relax and do what you said--enjoy some great hockey. It could be one of the more interesting tourneys we've seen in awhile.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Great job Rapids. You showed the tenacity and character to come back from two goals against a team that has previously owned you. Bring back the big trophy.
tezer13

Post by tezer13 »

What a great game. Congrats to Rapids!!! I hate losing but both teams played a tremendous game. It's always too bad someone has to lose ones like this.

Good luck at State, you have a real chance to make some noise - wide open field and a great squad. Shore it up in your own end, limit some turnovers, and it could be yours for the taking.
kniven

Post by kniven »

greenwayraider wrote:Great job Rapids. You showed the tenacity and character to come back from two goals against a team that has previously owned you. Bring back the big trophy.
Well done Grand Rapids Indians! :). You boys dethroned the Hounds. What an exciting game. Now you boys bring home that state championship to section 7 AA, Grand Rapids, and all the northland. #WOW
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

I was fantasizing for a Rapids rout of East, but this is the way it had to happen. It was "Armageddon at Amsoil".

Rapids did a "Duluth East" to finally beat Duluth East. GR just kept coming at them and fought back when it would have been easy to quit. Just like the Hounds have done to Section 7 for so many years.

I know it is sore for East fans, but I am glad Rapids did this against East. Not because I wanted East to feel the heartbreak, but because it was an honor for Rapids to play and beat East.

A tip of the hat to the dethroned champions.

Now, on to St. Paul. Orange Crush and Tang - try it!
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Slammer wrote:The same thing happens every year. A DE final and everyone is predicting them to lose. GRHS hockey online predicts a win, and the Rapids faithful all have hope.

Well, sorry Rapids fans. It's over before it even started. But you knew that didn't you? ITS BEEN SEVEN YEARS IN A ROW!

Hounds easily win, 5-3 EN.
Hahaha great call!!
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

What an unbelievable game! It wasn't overtime but the next closest thing. Momentum and lead changes happened all game. The crowd was fantastic. Both goalies made unreal saves. Rapids showed real grit, character, and determination after falling behind 5-3 in the 3rd. I thought that might have been too much but GR was not to be denied!

Oh how sweet it is. It doesn't get much better than seeing those kids celebrate, way to go boys!

There is nobody I would rather see GR beat than East in a section final the way they did. The heartache has been transferred.

Finally, anyone complaining about the refs and the call at the end of the game: don't forget about the Rapids "no goal" in the 2nd or 3rd period, from my seat and a picture I saw after showed it was a clear goal.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

I have to believe that this was not the type of game Randolph wanted his team to play. Teams flying up and down the ice, players left wide open in the slot, very little sustained offensive zone time by either team - especially his team. I could not tell while watching the game on TV, but announcer Karakas stated that Randolph was consistently double-shifting the Dow and Worth lines in the 2nd period - any confirmation on that? Also not a good sign for East, in that Randolph perhaps thought he could not keep up with Rapids. I did notice that he was doing A LOT of line switching - perhaps to keep his top players fresh - although throughout the year he had used multiple combinations in many games.

I understand where Slammer is coming from. When you don't have a dog in the fight that is the State tournament, then it's difficult for some of us to have any interest in it. As much as I appreciate the East system when it's rolling, it's great to have Rapids back at State with a legitimate shot at winning.
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

north_bear wrote:What an unbelievable game! It wasn't overtime but the next closest thing. Momentum and lead changes happened all game. The crowd was fantastic. Both goalies made unreal saves. Rapids showed real grit, character, and determination after falling behind 5-3 in the 3rd. I thought that might have been too much but GR was not to be denied!

Oh how sweet it is. It doesn't get much better than seeing those kids celebrate, way to go boys!

There is nobody I would rather see GR beat than East in a section final the way they did. The heartache has been transferred.

Finally, anyone complaining about the refs and the call at the end of the game: don't forget about the Rapids "no goal" in the 2nd or 3rd period, from my seat and a picture I saw after showed it was a clear goal.

I agree with you about the goal where i was sitting it was in and out so fast but you had to be in the right area to see it,that whole section stood up and pointed and there was no review on the goal.
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

mnmouth wrote:I have to believe that this was not the type of game Randolph wanted his team to play. Teams flying up and down the ice, players left wide open in the slot, very little sustained offensive zone time by either team - especially his team. I could not tell while watching the game on TV, but announcer Karakas stated that Randolph was consistently double-shifting the Dow and Worth lines in the 2nd period - any confirmation on that? Also not a good sign for East, in that Randolph perhaps thought he could not keep up with Rapids. I did notice that he was doing A LOT of line switching - perhaps to keep his top players fresh - although throughout the year he had used multiple combinations in many games.

I understand where Slammer is coming from. When you don't have a dog in the fight that is the State tournament, then it's difficult for some of us to have any interest in it. As much as I appreciate the East system when it's rolling, it's great to have Rapids back at State with a legitimate shot at winning.

I also noticed that, the Dow line never left the ice,I was wondering why Klatt was pairing the Dow line with the Bischoff line,anyway it worked
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

kniven wrote:
greenwayraider wrote:Great job Rapids. You showed the tenacity and character to come back from two goals against a team that has previously owned you. Bring back the big trophy.
Well done Grand Rapids Indians! :). You boys dethroned the Hounds. What an exciting game. Now you boys bring home that state championship to section 7 AA, Grand Rapids, and all the northland. #WOW
There are a few in the NORTLAND that would prefer it in section 8.

😀
hermantown2000

Post by hermantown2000 »

When was last time Greyhounds blew a lead 3 period lead in the section final under Randolph? I don't believe it has ever happened. Probably going to be a tomb like school day at East today for the students. No state tournament send off next week!! The kids have to now be in class (no skipping).
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

I had a good look at that GR goal too. It was in no doubt but can understand how they missed it. I can't wait to see this team at state. Finally seem like they have found the way to use all that talent and win the big game. Northern State Champ? Could happen! See you all there!
Frequent_MN_Flyer

Post by Frequent_MN_Flyer »

What a beautiful morning! :)
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

karl(east) wrote:I'm mostly incoherent
I've been telling you this for years.......
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

All I can say is Wow! Wow! Wow! This is why we love hockey!

Thanks to Kniven for the feed and Kozy audio

If you go back to the 7AA thread from last summer and fall, I was one of the original believers. Than I became a doubter. I am so happy to be back in the believer camp .

See you at the X . Guessing Thawks will be playing Jacks in the 8.30 game
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

mnmouth wrote:I have to believe that this was not the type of game Randolph wanted his team to play. Teams flying up and down the ice, players left wide open in the slot, very little sustained offensive zone time by either team - especially his team. I could not tell while watching the game on TV, but announcer Karakas stated that Randolph was consistently double-shifting the Dow and Worth lines in the 2nd period - any confirmation on that? Also not a good sign for East, in that Randolph perhaps thought he could not keep up with Rapids. I did notice that he was doing A LOT of line switching - perhaps to keep his top players fresh - although throughout the year he had used multiple combinations in many games.
In the first two periods, the lines were more or less what they have been for the second half of the season, but after every TV timeout, East came out with Altmann-Dow-Peterson reunited. This led to Altmann being double-shifted some, as he'd also head back out there with his usual linemates, Mageau and Worth. In the third, Altmann-Dow-Peterson were back together for the whole third period, and saw a ton of ice. Sometimes Randolph just asks his leaders to go out there and win it--last night, by the end against Lakeville South, against Rapids in the '11 final, when they needed to tie it up against Apple Valley in '96...it's a trend.

Believe it or not, this was more or less the East game plan. The trapping in the January game was a bluff. They wanted to attack last night; if they were going to go down, they'd go down swinging. No shame in that. I'm sure they would have liked to set up something a little more defensive once they'd grabbed the 2-goal lead, because it never felt safe, but this game was so open that there were very few opportunities.

From the replays I saw of the Rapids no goal, it hit the inside of the pipe but didn't entirely cross the line.
Houndhockey

Post by Houndhockey »

You know, I was feeling pretty bummed out about East losing last night to Rapids, but seeing all the talk about, "finally", or "the king is dead", basically anything referring to East being so dominant in 7AA the last decade basically makes me appreciate being an East fan all over again. This might be a little stretch, but outside of the Edina's, EP's etc East gets every teams best shot because they have been on top for so long. And that is especially true of the teams up north and in 7AA. Gonna be a long offseason for Hound fans. This was the one that got away and not being used to it, it stings!

Section should be pretty wide open next year. Both GR and DE are losing lots of heavy hitters that supplied a lot of the offense.

I am hereby endorsing Bemidji at the tourney and fully expect to see them in the #4 vs #5 matchup against GR because no one from the south would like to see an all north final.
East High Rah Rah Rah....
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

karl(east) wrote:
In the first two periods, the lines were more or less what they have been for the second half of the season, but after every TV timeout, East came out with Altmann-Dow-Peterson reunited. This led to Altmann being double-shifted some, as he'd also head back out there with his usual linemates, Mageau and Worth. In the third, Altmann-Dow-Peterson were back together for the whole third period, and saw a ton of ice. Sometimes Randolph just asks his leaders to go out there and win it--last night, by the end against Lakeville South, against Rapids in the '11 final, when they needed to tie it up against Apple Valley in '96...it's a trend.

Believe it or not, this was more or less the East game plan. The trapping in the January game was a bluff. They wanted to attack last night; if they were going to go down, they'd go down swinging. No shame in that. I'm sure they would have liked to set up something a little more defensive once they'd grabbed the 2-goal lead, because it never felt safe, but this game was so open that there were very few opportunities.

From the replays I saw of the Rapids no goal, it hit the inside of the pipe but didn't entirely cross the line.
Thanks for the update. Definitely no shame in that approach. He's got the horses for that style & it was highly entertaining. Had I been in my usual seat at Amsoil I'd have had a great view of the East net on the no goal. TV replays looked conclusive that a no goal call was correct.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Let's let this north-south thing die! The majority want to watch good HS hockey and want the 2 best teams in the finals. I know it's fun to banter back and forth, but some people actually think there is truth to it.