Hermantown vs Hibbing showdown part 2

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockeyfan2612

Post by hockeyfan2612 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
hockeyfan2612 wrote:I completley agree Hermantown should go up. In high school hockey people come and people go its just how it works. The difference is I believe they should go up not because of players coming in, I personally think they are just to good to be in A. They dismantled every A team they played except for one game against Greenway. I just think that their talent is wasted in A
Haven't they won the A tournament just once in their history? Just think if all the teams that have won it once moved up. Eventually there would be no Class A teams left.
They won it in 07, and its not like they have been good for 1 year, even when their team was weaker in 2014 they still made the state championship game. I just think the players deserve to find out how good their team really is.
duluth dave

Post by duluth dave »

Hermantown-615 Proctor-599 Denfeld-863 you talk as though this is one team, but there are three. Also comparing Hermantown to STA which recruited from a metro area with 2.5 million people does not make much of a comparison.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
hockeyfan2612 wrote:I completley agree Hermantown should go up. In high school hockey people come and people go its just how it works. The difference is I believe they should go up not because of players coming in, I personally think they are just to good to be in A. They dismantled every A team they played except for one game against Greenway. I just think that their talent is wasted in A
Haven't they won the A tournament just once in their history? Just think if all the teams that have won it once moved up. Eventually there would be no Class A teams left.
I think Hermantown should be able to stay without shame, but with people like Rainier, that's not gonna happen. No offense to Hibbing, but watching such a 1 dimensional team like Hibbing in the Class A final would be a bore unless of course you were the 1 really good kids dad. I got dizzy watching him circle around the ice and try to score on his own.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

duluth dave wrote:Hermantown-615 Proctor-599 Denfeld-863 you talk as though this is one team, but there are three. Also comparing Hermantown to STA which recruited from a metro area with 2.5 million people does not make much of a comparison.
Your just confusing Rainier with logic that he doesn't understand. In his mind, players can only come to hermantown and cannot go leave.
stromboli

Post by stromboli »

duluth dave wrote:Hermantown-615 Proctor-599 Denfeld-863 you talk as though this is one team, but there are three. Also comparing Hermantown to STA which recruited from a metro area with 2.5 million people does not make much of a comparison.
Yeah. No STA, Hill, Benilde, HF, Breck, SPA, and so on to compete with for recruits. Or Edina, EP, Mtka, Wayzata, Lakeville N, or,,,
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

hockeyfan2612 wrote:They won it in 07, and its not like they have been good for 1 year, even when their team was weaker in 2014 they still made the state championship game.

They've still only won it once, and it was 8+ years ago, as compared to East Grand Forks which has won 2 of the past 3. If all the teams that have been "good" for a few years had moved up, we'd essentially be left with a Tier II tournament. And as history shows hardly anyone would care.
hockeyfan2612 wrote:I just think the players deserve to find out how good their team really is.
It was their choice to go there. Maybe going forward more of the players who think they deserve better will attend Marshall, or open enroll at East.
hockeyfan2612

Post by hockeyfan2612 »

pekyman wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
I think Hermantown should be able to stay without shame, but with people like Rainier, that's not gonna happen. No offense to Hibbing, but watching such a 1 dimensional team like Hibbing in the Class A final would be a bore unless of course you were the 1 really good kids dad. I got dizzy watching him circle around the ice and try to score on his own.
Just saying Hermantown vs. East or Hermantown vs. Rapids would have been a lot more fun for everyone involved.
hockeyfan2612

Post by hockeyfan2612 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
hockeyfan2612 wrote:They won it in 07, and its not like they have been good for 1 year, even when their team was weaker in 2014 they still made the state championship game.

They've still only won it once, and it was 8+ years ago, as compared to East Grand Forks which has won 2 of the past 3. If all the teams that have been "good" for a few years had moved up, we'd essentially be left with a Tier II tournament. And as history shows hardly anyone would care.
hockeyfan2612 wrote:I just think the players deserve to find out how good their team really is.
It was their choice to go there. Maybe going forward more of the players who think they deserve better will attend Marshall, or open enroll at East.
What about the 80% of the team that lives in the district? And Hermantown isnt a good team.. they are a GREAT team, and im pretty sure if the players were to decide they would much rather be in AA than A
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

hockeyfan2612 wrote:
pekyman wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote: Haven't they won the A tournament just once in their history? Just think if all the teams that have won it once moved up. Eventually there would be no Class A teams left.
Just saying Hermantown vs. East or Hermantown vs. Rapids would have been a lot more fun for everyone involved.
Yes it would and I still think it is ridiculous that East will not play Hermantown. East lost to Marshall this year and the world did not stop spinning. The same if Hermantown happened to beat them. Good game, exciting for the community and move on to the next game.
rainier

Post by rainier »

stromboli wrote:
Yeah. No STA, Hill, Benilde, HF, Breck, SPA, and so on to compete with for recruits. Or Edina, EP, Mtka, Wayzata, Lakeville N, or,,,
Exactly, the Twin Cities pie is being split many, many, many ways, not so for the Duluth pie.

And if the best players from Proctor are going to Hermantown, then you can add the two enrollments together. Smalley is quoted saying a bunch of Denfeld hockey parents have moved up to Hermantown, and I don't think it was the lesser talented players that left, so you can go ahead and add Denfeld enrollment on top.

Bottom line is that if you are good enough to compete in AA every year, then you do so. Pekyman agreed with this when people said it about STA.

I bring up the open enrollment stuff to refute the Hermantown claim that they are "small town hockey" and thus they belong in A.

I also think it's important that people know that the Hermantonians were "whining" like crazy during the losing-to-STA years, and now when people "whine" about Hermantown, they give the same lame justifications the STA people did.

When Plante whined like crazy, the Hermantonians thought it was great, but when fans of other A schools whine about Hermantown, well, that a bridge too far, pilgrim. :D
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

Any way you look at it, Hermantown moving to AA would be a BIG decision for the community and not as simplistic as a private school doing it. Hermantown is a small town/small school program regardless what Rainier's 1 track mind thinks.
rainier

Post by rainier »

pekyman wrote:
hockeyfan2612 wrote:
pekyman wrote: I think Hermantown should be able to stay without shame, but with people like Rainier, that's not gonna happen. No offense to Hibbing, but watching such a 1 dimensional team like Hibbing in the Class A final would be a bore unless of course you were the 1 really good kids dad. I got dizzy watching him circle around the ice and try to score on his own.
Yes it would and I still think it is ridiculous that East will not play Hermantown. East lost to Marshall this year and the world did not stop spinning. The same if Hermantown happened to beat them. Good game, exciting for the community and move on to the next game.
Yes, it would be fantastic and it is unconscionable that Plante didn't opt up sooner. He knew he had 3 or 4 teams coming up that could beat East and also compete with the best in AA, yet he played the "where we belong" card again. This tells me that either Plante isn't in touch with the youth program or he just wants to keep stacking trophies and inflating his ego, neither of which make him look good.

I would love to see an East-Hermantown game, but I see why Randolph won't go for it. What's funny about Hermantown hanging all the conference banners up is that weren't they the ones who pushed the most for East to be booted out of the conference?

Their banner hanging strategy was this:

Step one: Get East booted out of LSC so we can hang more conference banners.

Step two: Get kids from all over the area so we can hang tons of section banners.

Step three: Get STA out of Class A so we can hang more title banners.

Step four: Stay in A indefinitely and hang so many banners the roof of the Hawk Dome collapses so we can build bigger arena that can hold more banners. :D
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

pekyman wrote:Any way you look at it, Hermantown moving to AA would be a BIG decision for the community and not as simplistic as a private school doing it. Hermantown is a small town/small school program regardless what Rainier's 1 track mind thinks.
Explain to me how it would be a BIG decision for the community. The community has very little to do with who a team plays. It would require a couple scheduling changes so you can play more
Section 7 AA schools. Your Youth teams already play them. Maybe if you grow a pair everyone won't hate Hermantown as much.
rainier

Post by rainier »

pekyman wrote:Any way you look at it, Hermantown moving to AA would be a BIG decision for the community and not as simplistic as a private school doing it. Hermantown is a small town/small school program regardless what Rainier's 1 track mind thinks.
Small town? It's a suburb in a metro area of 150,000 people. :roll:

Small program? It has 11 mite teams and 5 squirt teams! :roll:

"BIG" decision? It takes one coach to say the word, and opting up isn't permanent! If after two years it isn't working, you can go back to A. You treat opting up like it's a leg amputation. :roll:
rainier

Post by rainier »

hadenuf wrote:
Explain to me how it would be a BIG decision for the community. The community has very little to do with who a team plays. It would require a couple scheduling changes so you can play more
Section 7 AA schools. Your Youth teams already play them. Maybe if you grow a pair everyone won't hate Hermantown as much.
Exactly. Hermantown opting up would be the easiest transition ever. They just replace their non-conference 7A games with 7AA teams and they're set. The youth teams are already AA and most of the HS schedule is already AA.

The BIG decision for the community is "Are we willing to take the risk of playing teams as talented as we are in the playoffs?"
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

rainier wrote:
hadenuf wrote:
Exactly. Hermantown opting up would be the easiest transition ever. They just replace their non-conference 7A games with 7AA teams and they're set. The youth teams are already AA and most of the HS schedule is already AA.

The BIG decision for the community is "Are we willing to take the risk of playing teams as talented as we are in the playoffs?"
I am done with topic as it is as Karl said, beating a dead horse. You go on and keep bashing over and over as it seems you have nothing better to do.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

Guys lay off Plante.

He's obviously a lower tier coach, can't hack it at the next level.
rainier

Post by rainier »

pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote:
hadenuf wrote: Explain to me how it would be a BIG decision for the community. The community has very little to do with who a team plays. It would require a couple scheduling changes so you can play more

I am done with topic as it is as Karl said, beating a dead horse. You go on and keep bashing over and over as it seems you have nothing better to do.
I am simply doing what you and Plante did when STA was in A. I'm glad you think Hermantown should opt-up.

I don't hate Hermantown. I have lived in Duluth for 15 years now and have spent plenty of time up there patronizing businesses and visiting friends who live there, and I will continue to do so. I have watched as Hermantown went from a decent A team to a team more than capable of competing in AA.

I cheered for them all the way until I learned two things:
1. They play AA at the youth levels.
2. They allow open enrollment.

And to see the coach and people like Peky whine about STA yet call other people whiners when Hermantown is put to the same standards is the height of hypocrisy.

I look forward to the Tourney.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

rainier wrote:
hadenuf wrote:

:idea:
WendyClark

Post by WendyClark »

rainier wrote:
Small town? It's a suburb in a metro area of 150,000 people. :roll:

Small program? It has 11 mite teams and 5 squirt teams! :roll:

"BIG" decision? It takes one coach to say the word, and opting up isn't permanent! If after two years it isn't working, you can go back to A. You treat opting up like it's a leg amputation. :roll:
BINGO!!