EP Medals

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

4on5again

EP Medals

Post by 4on5again »

It would have been nice to see some EP players show more class accepting their 2nd place medals. Middlestat and a few others removed their medals showing disrespect after the presenter put the medal around their necks.
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

Was a little immature but then again they are kids so not going to read too much into it
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Speaking of medals the MSHSL made a huge mistake or GR will have some explaining to do by having the suspended player on the ice for the awards ceremony. I think it's fine Klatt gives the kid his medal but do it in the locker room. May be Nuts but I'll predict head coach will be sitting out the first 2 games of the season next year.
computerguy

Post by computerguy »

Explain?? Who was suspended and then got metals??
4on5again

Post by 4on5again »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Speaking of medals the MSHSL made a huge mistake or GR will have some explaining to do by having the suspended player on the ice for the awards ceremony. I think it's fine Klatt gives the kid his medal but do it in the locker room. May be Nuts but I'll predict head coach will be sitting out the first 2 games of the season next year.
What is the full story on the suspension? Rumor I heard was that he was turned in by a Duluth East fan.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Speaking of medals the MSHSL made a huge mistake or GR will have some explaining to do by having the suspended player on the ice for the awards ceremony. I think it's fine Klatt gives the kid his medal but do it in the locker room. May be Nuts but I'll predict head coach will be sitting out the first 2 games of the season next year.
So you really think the MSHSL would allow the player to receive a medal and then suspend the coach? Please get back on your medication.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

I know you might be a bit slow North Bear but MSHSL didn't give the kid a medal. GR staff brought suspended player out on the ice after the game to be with the team. Not part of the tournament roster because of suspension which can't be talked about means player can't be on the ice. Medal was the head coaches that coach slipped off his neck and gave to the suspended player. If you do the crime you do the time regardless of who reports it. :shock:
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

I don't have a problem with that. I guess we'll see if the MSHSL does but I would be surprised if they did. He is on the team and served his suspension. Classy move by Klatt if you ask me.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
thespellchecker

Post by thespellchecker »

north_bear wrote:I don't have a problem with that. I guess we'll see if the MSHSL does but I would be surprised if they did. He is on the team and served his suspension. Classy move by Klatt if you ask me.
The suspension is not yet served. x # of games or two weeks of, whichever is longer. Will sit beginning of fall 2016.
8-TIME weekly & 2-Time Season Pick Em Champ
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

thespellchecker wrote:
north_bear wrote:I don't have a problem with that. I guess we'll see if the MSHSL does but I would be surprised if they did. He is on the team and served his suspension. Classy move by Klatt if you ask me.
The suspension is not yet served. x # of games or two weeks of, whichever is longer. Will sit beginning of fall 2016.
If he plays in a spring sport, can he serve his suspension so as to not miss out on any hockey?

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
meridian90

Post by meridian90 »

east hockey wrote:
thespellchecker wrote:
If he plays in a spring sport, can he serve his suspension so as to not miss out on any hockey?

Lee
Yes, he can do that. It's just the next season if it happens in the offseason.

I don't really care that he was on the ice. Kid already knows how much he let his teammates down.
Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 »

Absolutely no class what so ever. Congratulations Wayzata!!!!!!
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

My understanding is he can fulfill his suspension by playing another sport but he has to participate the full season meaning he can't go out for track and sit out a few meets and then quit. I agree Klatt giving his medal to a kid that made a mistake is probably OK but don't do it on the ice. My call is that Coach Klatt will be suspended for 2 games to begin the hockey season next year.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

thespellchecker wrote:
Probably worth more to him and the team being there to celebrate and enjoy these moments with all the seniors than missing a game or two in Nov.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

east hockey wrote:
thespellchecker wrote:

Lee
Yes, as long as he finishes the entire season of the Spring Sport. Also, I played with a few kids who got two-weekers as we called them back then. They were allowed to practice and be on the bench during games so I'm not sure what the big deal is about the kid being on the ice.
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

Don't have a problem with it: if the coach chooses to sit a kid for disciplinary reasons, that is his decision. But if he is still on the official roster, then he deserves a medal with the rest of his teammates
Sparlimb

Re: EP Medals

Post by Sparlimb »

4on5again wrote:It would have been nice to see some EP players show more class accepting their 2nd place medals. Middlestat and a few others removed their medals showing disrespect after the presenter put the medal around their necks.
Second Place Mittelstadt acts like he's 17. Lucky for him he is. Let's hope he matures and realizes jumping into the opposing team fan section after every goal doesn't cast him in a great light. Act like you've been there before...
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Joe2015 wrote:
Don't have a problem with it: if the coach chooses to sit a kid for disciplinary reasons, that is his decision. But if he is still on the official roster, then he deserves a medal with the rest of his teammates
He shouldn't have been on the roster if he was ineligible due to a MSHSL rules violation, not a discipline reason. If Klatt rewarded bad behavior here, something will probably be done.

There is a possibility he wasn't ruled to be in violation of MSHSL rules but rather than take the risk and end up having to forfeit ala Eastridge football, Grand Rapids chose to hold him out of competition. That wouldn't be unprecedented.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

goldy313 wrote:
Joe2015 wrote:
He shouldn't have been on the roster if he was ineligible due to a MSHSL rules violation, not a discipline reason. If Klatt rewarded bad behavior here, something will probably be done.

There is a possibility he wasn't ruled to be in violation of MSHSL rules but rather than take the risk and end up having to forfeit ala Eastridge football, Grand Rapids chose to hold him out of competition. That wouldn't be unprecedented.
To clarify, he was not on Rapids' Tourney roster, though I can't say if it was a self-imposed thing or an official "two week vacation". If he got a medal, it was someone else's, and that person gave it up for him.
4on5again

Post by 4on5again »

Sparlimb wrote:
4on5again wrote:It would have been nice to see some EP players show more class accepting their 2nd place medals. Middlestat and a few others removed their medals showing disrespect after the presenter put the medal around their necks.
Second Place Mittelstadt acts like he's 17. Lucky for him he is. Let's hope he matures and realizes jumping into the opposing team fan section after every goal doesn't cast him in a great light. Act like you've been there before...
Taking off your medal shows a disrespect for the game and the tournament. Somehow, some of these kids got the idea that they bigger than the event, or the people that make this stage possible. Hockey and all sports are an emotional thing, but not an excuse for disrespect. Mittelstadt is a great player, hopefully he reflects and is disappointed by his tantrum.
meridian90

Post by meridian90 »

karl(east) wrote:
goldy313 wrote:
Joe2015 wrote: Don't have a problem with it: if the coach chooses to sit a kid for disciplinary reasons, that is his decision. But if he is still on the official roster, then he deserves a medal with the rest of his teammates

To clarify, he was not on Rapids' Tourney roster, though I can't say if it was a self-imposed thing or an official "two week vacation". If he got a medal, it was someone else's, and that person gave it up for him.
Klatt gave his to the kid. The controversy is whether said kid should have been allowed on the ice for the trophy presentation. Me personally, I don't care. He sat out the three games, and will have to sit out probably 2 more next year, so it doesn't really bother me. Missing the tourney was punishment enough in my eyes.
dherman8

Post by dherman8 »

What's the problem here? He made a mistake and I guarantee he regrets missing out on all of this. No matter what, you can't take away the fact that he helped the team get to state. You think coming on the ice for this made the kid feel like he got away with something? My guess is the punishment of not playing wasn't eased by coming on the ice for medals, which he wasn't even awarded the same as his teammates. Klatt just seemed to show some team unity there by not just kicking the kid when he is down. It was a nice gesture to someone that was a part of the team and has felt the sting of letting the team down. That's that.
zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler »

dherman8 wrote:What's the problem here? He made a mistake and I guarantee he regrets missing out on all of this. No matter what, you can't take away the fact that he helped the team get to state. You think coming on the ice for this made the kid feel like he got away with something? My guess is the punishment of not playing wasn't eased by coming on the ice for medals, which he wasn't even awarded the same as his teammates. Klatt just seemed to show some team unity there by not just kicking the kid when he is down. It was a nice gesture to someone that was a part of the team and has felt the sting of letting the team down. That's that.
Bingo.

Not excusing what he did in any way, but it's a hoot how this group seems to think the kid is an axe murderer or something :lol:
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

4on5again wrote:
Sparlimb wrote:
Taking off your medal shows a disrespect for the game and the tournament. Somehow, some of these kids got the idea that they bigger than the event, or the people that make this stage possible. Hockey and all sports are an emotional thing, but not an excuse for disrespect. Mittelstadt is a great player, hopefully he reflects and is disappointed by his tantrum.
Have witnessed players throw their runner up medals in the garbage. Coach should on top of this if it is an issue. Heck, the 1972 men's Olympic BB team still hasn't accepted their silver medals.
zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler »

4on5again wrote:
Sparlimb wrote:
Unfortunately, that is very common these days, many times, fueled by the parents.