2016-17 Coach Openings

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:14 pm

warriors41 wrote:
Hermit wrote:Add MN Wild to the list

Not sure if this should be a different thread, but does anyone know of MN high school coaches who have left to coach at higher levels, as opposed to being run out of town by parents or just looking to free up more time.

Seeing the path that Jon Cooper took to become head coach of the Tampa Bay Lightning, what would Mike Randolph or other successful MN coach have to do in order to become coach of the Wild?
Two examples out of section 8. Dean Blais coached Roseau to a state championship in 1990 and then went to UND and won a national championship ship there. Eventually he became the head coach of the Columbus Bluejackets.

After the 2004 season Cary Eades left Warroad high school to take an assistant coaching job at UND and is now the head coach of the Fargo Force and won the USHL championship two season ago with the Sioux Falls Stampede. Although he hasn't gotten there yet, it would not surprise me if he ended up with an AHL team in the next 5 and eventually gets an NHL job.
Bob Johnson, from Warroad to Minneapolis Roosevelt, then Colorado College to the University of Wisconsin, Calgary Flames, and finally Pittsburgh Penguins. Rings with the Badgers and Penguins. Coached the '76 Olympic team to boot, along with a national team or two, and a Canada Coupe entry.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Mon May 02, 2016 12:05 am

Early next werk I'll try and post a link or you can google it for yourself......the Rochester Post Bulletin on Saturday has an article on the high rate of coaching turnover, something like 1 in 4 boys basketball coaches in section 1 were either fired or resigned this past year. One of my coworkers daughters next year will have her 3rd basketball coach in 5 years next season. That's not good for anyone involved.

While parents are an issue, they always have been. My thinking is with 2 months of summer contact now allowed and expected (with no pay), coaches are burning out at a faster rate than before. High coaching turnover does no one any good, especially the kids. I hope the MSHSL looks at this and does away with this contact period. There are alternatives to summer practice.....AAA, AAU, captains practice, etc. Keeping kids with good coaches should be the goal, not keeping kids with coaches who sacrifice everything for a high school sport.

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Mon May 02, 2016 6:42 am

goldy313 wrote:Early next werk I'll try and post a link or you can google it for yourself......the Rochester Post Bulletin on Saturday has an article on the high rate of coaching turnover, something like 1 in 4 boys basketball coaches in section 1 were either fired or resigned this past year. One of my coworkers daughters next year will have her 3rd basketball coach in 5 years next season. That's not good for anyone involved.

While parents are an issue, they always have been. My thinking is with 2 months of summer contact now allowed and expected (with no pay), coaches are burning out at a faster rate than before. High coaching turnover does no one any good, especially the kids. I hope the MSHSL looks at this and does away with this contact period. There are alternatives to summer practice.....AAA, AAU, captains practice, etc. Keeping kids with good coaches should be the goal, not keeping kids with coaches who sacrifice everything for a high school sport.
Parents may have always been a issue, (I don't believe so, but for the sake of argument) but there is no denying, that scene is completely different, in a bad way, than in the past, and it definitely is a negative part of being a coach these days.

GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher » Mon May 02, 2016 12:17 pm

zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:
goldy313 wrote:Early next werk I'll try and post a link or you can google it for yourself......the Rochester Post Bulletin on Saturday has an article on the high rate of coaching turnover, something like 1 in 4 boys basketball coaches in section 1 were either fired or resigned this past year. One of my coworkers daughters next year will have her 3rd basketball coach in 5 years next season. That's not good for anyone involved.

Parents may have always been a issue, (I don't believe so, but for the sake of argument) but there is no denying, that scene is completely different, in a bad way, than in the past, and it definitely is a negative part of being a coach these days.
Do, you, like, commas?
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon May 02, 2016 12:31 pm

zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:While parents are an issue, they always have been.
It all depends on how far back you go, but I can tell you that "years ago" - with very few exceptions - parents used to let coaches run the team and did not interfere with his decision-making. It was totally different compared to the way things are today. And that difference is reflected in how long most coaches stayed on the job. Today all the parent meddling is a major contributor as to why there is such high rate of coaches turnover at the high school level, and that goes for both boys and girls.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Mon May 02, 2016 4:26 pm

Former Gopher & Tornado alum Jerrid Reinholz has been named the new boys hockey head coach at Anoka HS.

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Mon May 02, 2016 6:05 pm

GoldyGopher wrote:
zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:

Do, you, like, commas?
Only if it bothers you.

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Tue May 03, 2016 12:13 pm

I am not sure the summer programs or the pay are the issue. HS Hockey coaching jobs do not pay very well, especially when you consider the time involvement and calculate it by the number of hours put in by coaches. Most are not doing it for the pay. While true that the school district does not pay coaches for summer programs, they do come at a cost (which is usually set by the coach) and depending on the coach, includes compensation for the coaches as part of the fee.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue May 03, 2016 8:01 pm

hockey59 wrote:Former Gopher & Tornado alum Jerrid Reinholz has been named the new boys hockey head coach at Anoka HS.
There's a good name from the past. He was a senior on their 98 team, right?

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Fri May 06, 2016 6:14 pm

Todd Huyber is the new coach at Mayo, Huyber played for Mayo in the mid '80's.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Tue May 10, 2016 10:03 am

MWS coach wrote:

I am not sure the summer programs or the pay are the issue. HS Hockey coaching jobs do not pay very well, especially when you consider the time involvement and calculate it by the number of hours put in by coaches. Most are not doing it for the pay. While true that the school district does not pay coaches for summer programs, they do come at a cost (which is usually set by the coach) and depending on the coach, includes compensation for the coaches as part of the fee.
In some cases the summer gig can be pretty lucrative - the high school title more than indirectly affecting that summer income.

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Tue May 10, 2016 3:36 pm

InigoMontoya wrote:
MWS coach wrote:

In some cases the summer gig can be pretty lucrative - the high school title more than indirectly affecting that summer income.
Exactly, depends on the coach. Some charge more and make $$$ off of the families, others make it much more affordable and make a small amount for their time. As a legendary HS coach once told me, "if you are coaching HS hockey for the money, you are coaching for the wrong reason". I have seen both scenario's for STP run by HS coaches.

Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan » Tue May 10, 2016 4:16 pm

MWS coach wrote: Exactly, depends on the coach. Some charge more and make $$$ off of the families, others make it much more affordable and make a small amount for their time. As a legendary HS coach once told me, "if you are coaching HS hockey for the money, you are coaching for the wrong reason". I have seen both scenario's for STP run by HS coaches.
I know of one storied western suburban program whose coach runs a summer program for ~ $300 or so. The "dryland" is 2x/week and consists of playing soccer while the on-ice (2x/wk) is entirely scrimmaging. Runs up until the blackout period. Value is certainly questionable, but virtually every incoming HS and returning JV and varsity kid signs up for obvious reasons. Ice is donated by the hometown rink.

paulsonj72

Post by paulsonj72 » Wed May 18, 2016 2:37 pm

warriors41 wrote:
Hermit wrote:Add MN Wild to the list

Not sure if this should be a different thread, but does anyone know of MN high school coaches who have left to coach at higher levels, as opposed to being run out of town by parents or just looking to free up more time.

Seeing the path that Jon Cooper took to become head coach of the Tampa Bay Lightning, what would Mike Randolph or other successful MN coach have to do in order to become coach of the Wild?
Two examples out of section 8. Dean Blais coached Roseau to a state championship in 1990 and then went to UND and won a national championship ship there. Eventually he became the head coach of the Columbus Bluejackets.

After the 2004 season Cary Eades left Warroad high school to take an assistant coaching job at UND and is now the head coach of the Fargo Force and won the USHL championship two season ago with the Sioux Falls Stampede. Although he hasn't gotten there yet, it would not surprise me if he ended up with an AHL team in the next 5 and eventually gets an NHL job.
Blais had another stop between Roseau and UND. For three seasons he was the head hockey coach(and Athletic Director) at International Falls. He was the Falls the he got the UND job.

mnhockey2019

Post by mnhockey2019 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:59 pm

Blake boys job opened up today.

blueblood

openings

Post by blueblood » Fri May 27, 2016 10:29 am

Also heard talk of Blake players "transferring" to BSM and Ep.

The rich may be getting richer.

Oldcoach63

Post by Oldcoach63 » Fri May 27, 2016 2:03 pm

Maybe Shawn Reid slides over to the boys side after great success on girls side?

Heard a rumor two of the top players leaving. But they sure recruited the heck out of the Minneapolis Storm grabbing 7 or 8 kids from the Bantam AA team that were state runner up a couple of seasons ago in Pee Wee AA. A kid from that team has strong ties to Blake hockey I hear. Got his buddies to come with. At least that's the rumor. If so they could be good in a couple of years.

observer

Post by observer » Fri May 27, 2016 2:43 pm

What happened with Blake coach?

BP

Re: openings

Post by BP » Sun May 29, 2016 6:09 pm

blueblood wrote:Also heard talk of Blake players "transferring" to BSM and Ep.

Last edited by BP on Tue May 31, 2016 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MNHockeyFan

Re: openings

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sun May 29, 2016 7:34 pm

BP wrote:
blueblood wrote:Also heard talk of Blake players "transferring" to BSM and Ep.

2 guys are for sure leaving and 2 may be leaving as well.
Parents should be happy with what they'll save in tuition, unless they'll actually end up spending more, having to relocate.

hunting247

Post by hunting247 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:29 am

mnhockey2019 wrote:Blake boys job opened up today.
Heard from a good source the Blake Head coach position was filled about a week ago. I don't know if it is public information right now so I will not divulge the name but he was a AA head coach and seems like a good hire for the school

Bluelightspecial-II

Post by Bluelightspecial-II » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:36 am

hunting247 wrote:
Heard from a good source the Blake Head coach position was filled about a week ago. I don't know if it is public information right now so I will not divulge the name but he was a AA head coach and seems like a good hire for the school
Is your good source from Farmington?

Gotothenetman

Post by Gotothenetman » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:55 am

Bluelightspecial-II wrote:
hunting247 wrote:
Is your good source from Farmington?
Greg May to Blake rumor is Lee Goren offered job at Farmington.

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:10 am

And why would parents give up a Blake education to go to EP??? :?

blueblood

why?

Post by blueblood » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:56 pm

Why?

Because of opportunity to play with best hockey player in the state, have a lot of exposure to scouts, and a better than average opportunity to win a state title.

Not gonna get that at Blake next season.