2016-17 Coach Openings

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

meridian90

Post by meridian90 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:50 pm

Schotzy wrote:
Old_School_67 wrote:It would be nice to see some of the coaches that the game has passed by retire and give some other aspiring coaches a chance.
That is intriguing. Any "pass their time" coaches you have in mind, and who you think might be ready for "prime-time"?

Curious who people think should be on either list.
White Bear Lake, for starters.

Not sure who you would bring in, but someone younger ala Wayzata/Stillwater.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:03 am

meridian90 wrote:
Schotzy wrote:
Old_School_67 wrote:It would be nice to see some of the coaches that the game has passed by retire and give some other aspiring coaches a chance.
That is intriguing. Any "pass their time" coaches you have in mind, and who you think might be ready for "prime-time"?

Curious who people think should be on either list.
White Bear Lake, for starters.

Not sure who you would bring in, but someone younger ala Wayzata/Stillwater.
Anything out there on wether Bruce Plante coming back to Hermantown for sure or not.

BP

Post by BP » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:52 am

Add Moose Lake to the list.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:37 am

Add Elk River

GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:20 pm

alcloseshaver wrote:Add Elk River
HC in ER to asst. in Maple Grove?? Details?
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:22 am

Tony Sarsland comeback?
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:26 pm

Blog on Gordie Roberts' exit from Elk River: http://apatientcycle.com/2016/04/05/exi ... e-roberts/

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:49 pm

This is a question for the Duluth East faithful. How long do you think Coach Randolph stays? When he does leave, is there a Coach in waiting? Thoughts on who might throw their hat in the ring for that job. Someone from the rich history there - former player? Or someone from outside.

Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:39 am

kniven wrote:This is a question for the Duluth East faithful. How long do you think Coach Randolph stays? When he does leave, is there a Coach in waiting? Thoughts on who might throw their hat in the ring for that job. Someone from the rich history there - former player? Or someone from outside.
Kniven- I can tell you Mike isnt going anywhere anytime soon. I would guess he coaches till he either gets run out or cant physically do it anymore. I look at it as Jake has two years left at UNO, Mike has his setup to where we can miss a few games throughout the year. It also looks like kids of his former players from the early 90's are starting to come up through the ranks and I think he wants to coach them. As for someone in the waiting, I bet there are a few that would want the job but I dont think theyll have a chance for sometime. I know I wouldnt want to be the guy to come in right after him.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:03 am

Usthockey13 wrote:
kniven wrote:This is a question for the Duluth East faithful. How long do you think Coach Randolph stays? When he does leave, is there a Coach in waiting? Thoughts on who might throw their hat in the ring for that job. Someone from the rich history there - former player? Or someone from outside.
Kniven- I can tell you Mike isnt going anywhere anytime soon. I would guess he coaches till he either gets run out or cant physically do it anymore. I look at it as Jake has two years left at UNO, Mike has his setup to where we can miss a few games throughout the year. It also looks like kids of his former players from the early 90's are starting to come up through the ranks and I think he wants to coach them. As for someone in the waiting, I bet there are a few that would want the job but I dont think theyll have a chance for sometime. I know I wouldnt want to be the guy to come in right after him.
Well that's great to hear! I've talked to Coach Randolph several times each year during the season, and I've been a fan of his since the 90's. I think he is great for Minnesota high school hockey and exceptional for 7AA. He and his program are arch rivals to my purple, but the respect is always there.

Stars67

Post by Stars67 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:30 am

Add Todd Manthey - Anoka

BP

Post by BP » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:39 am

My sources telling me about the following positions.....

Maple Grove lifts the interim tag on Todd Bergland and he is now the coach.

St. Cloud co-op has officially hired Pete Matanich, former Apollo coach.

Providence is bringing back Hal Tearse to coach.

Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:33 am

BP wrote:My sources telling me about the following positions.....

Maple Grove lifts the interim tag on Todd Bergland and he is now the coach.

St. Cloud co-op has officially hired Pete Matanich, former Apollo coach.

Providence is bringing back Hal Tearse to coach.
Solid move by Providence!

GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:00 am

karl(east) wrote:Blog on Gordie Roberts' exit from Elk River: http://apatientcycle.com/2016/04/05/exi ... e-roberts/
Good read, thanks Karl
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

BP

Post by BP » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:34 pm

Add St. Louis Park to the list.

blueblood

SLP

Post by blueblood » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:37 am

what happened at SLP?

HockeyTalk18

Post by HockeyTalk18 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:36 am

what happened at SLP?

The head coach stepped down after a group of parents/players complained to the school and made up lies about him, and yes, most of the players that whined were not regular players.

The head coach has better things to do then deal with this crap going on right now in youth sports.

blueblood

SLP

Post by blueblood » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:53 am

Good luck finding a coach SLP.

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:54 pm

HockeyTalk18 wrote:what happened at SLP?

The head coach stepped down after a group of parents/players complained to the school and made up lies about him, and yes, most of the players that whined were not regular players.

The head coach has better things to do then deal with this crap going on right now in youth sports.
Bonzo parents strike again, eh ?

That scene really is out of control, and it's not just hockey.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:20 am

Add MN Wild to the list

Not sure if this should be a different thread, but does anyone know of MN high school coaches who have left to coach at higher levels, as opposed to being run out of town by parents or just looking to free up more time.

Seeing the path that Jon Cooper took to become head coach of the Tampa Bay Lightning, what would Mike Randolph or other successful MN coach have to do in order to become coach of the Wild?

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:51 pm

Hermit wrote:Add MN Wild to the list

Not sure if this should be a different thread, but does anyone know of MN high school coaches who have left to coach at higher levels, as opposed to being run out of town by parents or just looking to free up more time.

Seeing the path that Jon Cooper took to become head coach of the Tampa Bay Lightning, what would Mike Randolph or other successful MN coach have to do in order to become coach of the Wild?
In 1999 Andy Murray went directly from Shattuck to the LA Kings NHL team.

BP

Post by BP » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:04 pm

Phil Housley a couple of years ago. Stillwater to Preds Asst.

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:55 pm

Two examples out of section 8. Dean Blais coached Roseau to a state championship in 1990 and then went to UND and won a national championship ship there. Eventually he became the head coach of the Columbus Bluejackets.

After the 2004 season Cary Eades left Warroad high school to take an assistant coaching job at UND and is now the head coach of the Fargo Force and won the USHL championship two season ago with the Sioux Falls Stampede. Although he hasn't gotten there yet, it would not surprise me if he ended up with an AHL team in the next 5 and eventually gets an NHL job.
Last edited by warriors41 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:43 pm

I believe Blais was an assistant.

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:12 pm

mulefarm wrote:I believe Blais was an assistant.
After double checking you are correct, he was an associate coach. Damn my hubris...