Stillwater to host 2017 Hockey Day

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BodyShots

Stillwater to host 2017 Hockey Day

Post by BodyShots »

Was announced at last nights Wild game, and then I saw an article in this mornings paper. An outdoor rink will be constructed in Lowell Park in downtown Stillwater along the shores of the St. Croix River.

Will be interesting to see if they make this an SEC game, or go with a non conference contest. If they go with an SEC game, my guess would be WBL.
SouthernMinnFan

Post by SouthernMinnFan »

It shouldn't be Whit Bear. It either needs to be Hill Murray for the local rivalry, or it needs to be a top 5 team non conference. I would like to see Grand Rapids come down and play in this game. It would interest viewers from the whole state and it would most likely be a game between two top 5 teams next year.
BP

Post by BP »

I'm guessing Stillwater vs. Minnetonka or Holy Family.

I also think Mahtomedi will play the A game. Hermantown? Breck? SPA?
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

Do they play a AA game, A game and girls game?
Old_School_67

Post by Old_School_67 »

Great downtown area for before and after the games.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Stillwater top 5 team next year. Better than the band!
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Hill v Still will be playing in the regular season next year, so perhaps they'll make this the game. I'd love it and hope it happens. With WB hockey in a coma right now, this is a burgeoning rivalry that should continue to gain steam. With that said I would also enjoy a northern team play the ponies. Cloquet or Bemidji would be fun. But I have a feeling they're going to focus on 'up and coming' programs and you're going to see someone like Hermantown or Holy Family. They'll mix in a traditional power or two but they're going to be pushing the idea of expanding hockey's footprint and new powers in the state.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

I'd prefer that it's not Hill or White Bear vs. Stillwater--I just don't think it's wise to have games with section seeding implications be at the mercy of the elements. Make it a fun game between top teams and bring in someone like Rapids or Wayzata. Bemidji would be fun too, but I'm kinda hoping they get to host the following year when the site shifts north again. Lake Bemidji would be a great setting.

Mahtomedi should be the A team. If the other AA team isn't from the North, bring in EGF or Warroad. If it is, any quality A team will do.
BlueLineSpecial

karl(east) wrote:I'd prefer that it's not Hill or White Bear vs. Stillwater--I just don't think it's wise to have games with section seeding implications be at the mercy of the elements. Make it a fun game between top teams and bring in someone like Rapids or Wayzata. Bemidji would be fun too, but I'm kinda hoping they get to host the following year when the site shifts north again. Lake Bemidji would be a great setting.

Mahtomedi should be the A team. If the other AA team isn't from the North, bring in EGF or Warroad. If it is, any quality A team will do.
Are you certain it's going up north the following year? I've heard Bay Point Park in Red Wing after Stillwater before shifting back up north. If so it would be an absolutely beautiful setting.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
karl(east) wrote:I'd prefer that it's not Hill or White Bear vs. Stillwater--I just don't think it's wise to have games with section seeding implications be at the mercy of the elements. Make it a fun game between top teams and bring in someone like Rapids or Wayzata. Bemidji would be fun too, but I'm kinda hoping they get to host the following year when the site shifts north again. Lake Bemidji would be a great setting.

Are you certain it's going up north the following year? I've heard Bay Point Park in Red Wing after Stillwater before shifting back up north. If so it would be an absolutely beautiful setting.
No, I was just guessing they'd follow the semi-regular rotation. I agree Red Wing would be a gorgeous setting. (Who would be the AA "home team," I wonder? Farmington? Throwback to the Hastings glory days?)
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

karl(east) wrote:...I just don't think it's wise to have games with section seeding implications be at the mercy of the elements. ...
That's why these should either be exhibition games, or involve teams that are unlikely to make a playoff run. I am very opposed to Lex risking any of his players on questionable ice weeks from the state tournament. If the Ponies choose to do that, go head.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
karl(east) wrote:...I just don't think it's wise to have games with section seeding implications be at the mercy of the elements. ...
That's why these should either be exhibition games, or involve teams that are unlikely to make a playoff run. I am very opposed to Lex risking any of his players on questionable ice weeks from the state tournament. If the Ponies choose to do that, go head.
I really don't think they would let them play on ice that would risk injury.
BlueLineSpecial

BodyShots wrote:
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
I really don't think they would let them play on ice that would risk injury.
You must not recall 2011 then. Those boys played on slush and that's not an exaggeration. Goalies were playing 4 feet in front of their net because the crease was mush. Same behind the goal where the sun was hitting. Insane.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Any rumors on what teams are invited?
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
BlueLineSpecial

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Any rumors on what teams are invited?
Stillwater
@hockeytweet

Post by @hockeytweet »

I'm hearing it will be Eden Prairie.
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

I have heard rumblings of Mahtomedi vs Hermantown for Class A. I think they need a solid date before anything can be official but make sure they can all pull it off.
pioneers

Post by pioneers »

Saw a partial H-M schedule with 21 games. Add 3 more for likely Schwan's Cup and that leaves one more game. Stillwater is not currently on the schedule.
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions
PaynePhalenGuy

Post by PaynePhalenGuy »

I just noticed that tickets for this are $35 for this thing. I was at 2015's in St. Paul, and I can't remember exactly how much it was, but I think it was in the neighborhood of $15-20.

Anybody know how they determined $35 for it this year? Free Schnapps for your coffee or something?
InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 »

PaynePhalenGuy wrote:I just noticed that tickets for this are $35 for this thing. I was at 2015's in St. Paul, and I can't remember exactly how much it was, but I think it was in the neighborhood of $15-20.

Anybody know how they determined $35 for it this year? Free Schnapps for your coffee or something?
I think that is for all festivities for the weekend including Friday night?

Nope that is in fact just for Saturday! Friday is free with a food shelf donation.
cigar

Post by cigar »

Looks like temps will be in about the mid 40's on saturday...

I doubt this game will be played outdoors...

Where will they move it to?
PaynePhalenGuy

Post by PaynePhalenGuy »

cigar wrote:Looks like temps will be in about the mid 40's on saturday...

I doubt this game will be played outdoors...

Where will they move it to?
It's refrigerated, so unless the rain gets way out of control, they should be fine.
zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler »

TRF game will most likely be running time......not in their favor. :oops:
stpaul

HDM

Post by stpaul »

Beautiful setting. Does anyone know why Mahtomedi is wearing red, white and blue Wash. Caps style uniforms?
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Hockey Day really is an awesome event. The games are always fun to watch but I find that the story lines are even better. The Mahtomedi goalie honoring his uncle and getting a shutout- the kid from Haiti playing for St. Cloud- the dad raising the twins- remembering and honoring Jacob Wetterling just to name a few.
Good stuff Minnesota.