Klatt Resigns

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:58 am

Clafton has told the Greenway AD that he is not interested in the Rapids. Hope that doesn't change.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:02 am

greenwayraider wrote:Clafton has told the Greenway AD that he is not interested in the Rapids. Hope that doesn't change.
I've also heard that Clafton and one other (not sure who) turned the job down. Someone else, however, has said yes. Not my place to break the news, but I assume we'll hear shortly.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:09 am

Good luck to whoever takes that job. They are going to need it. Three good guys in the last five years have quit.

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:40 am

greenwayraider wrote:Good luck to whoever takes that job. They are going to need it. Three good guys in the last five years have quit.
What's the cause; rabid parents ?

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:43 am

May have been a false alarm.

What a joyous festival of misinformation this whole saga has been.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:48 am

karl(east) wrote:May have been a false alarm.

What a joyous festival of misinformation this whole saga has been.
GRRRRRRRR
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:22 am

zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:
greenwayraider wrote:Good luck to whoever takes that job. They are going to need it. Three good guys in the last five years have quit.
What's the cause; rabid parents ?
The town of Grand Rapids has high, high expectations every single year. With these expectations comes a lot of stuff. That town is like no other in the state. They sell out every home hockey game for crying out loud. It goes without saying that it's must be very difficult to coach there. Given a guy like coach Klatt lasted only 1 year.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:58 am

Really is a mystery as to who is even possible as a replacement given all the names that are known to not be interested.

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:21 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Really is a mystery as to who is even possible as a replacement given all the names that are known to not be interested.
I was just talking to a hockey guy. He told me there's a chance Klatt is in the process of possibly coming back to coach the orange. Is that even possible?

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:27 pm

kniven wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:Really is a mystery as to who is even possible as a replacement given all the names that are known to not be interested.
I was just talking to a hockey guy. He told me there's a chance Klatt is in the process of possibly coming back to coach the orange. Is that even possible?
Rumors out there, nothing more.

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:51 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
kniven wrote:
Of course he's coming back. The decision was made in haste, calmer heads have prevailed.

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:56 pm

edgeless2 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
kniven wrote:
Of course he's coming back. The decision was made in haste, calmer heads have prevailed.
you know what? i would bet my house on it. from what i've heard, it sounds as though Coach Klatt will be back! That is awesome/great news!!!! I am very happy for the orange.

ilovemesomehockey

Post by ilovemesomehockey » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:09 pm

kniven wrote:
edgeless2 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
kniven wrote:
you know what? i would bet my house on it. from what i've heard, it sounds as though Coach Klatt will be back! That is awesome/great news!!!! I am very happy for the orange.
Hmm, if this is true, the Islanders must have given him more time to coach his team :lol: Or someone called off the rabid dogs

boblee

Post by boblee » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:39 am

In case anyone would like to hear some actual attempt at reporting, rather than made-up tom foolery... I talked to Trent yesterday afternoon.

I simply said - are you returning as head coach at Grand Rapids? His response... "No."

I'm not saying he couldn't return. Who the heck knows. But the notion that he has decided to was made up by someone and is spread like wild-fire.

boblee

Post by boblee » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:41 am

karl(east) wrote:
greenwayraider wrote:Clafton has told the Greenway AD that he is not interested in the Rapids. Hope that doesn't change.
I've also heard that Clafton and one other (not sure who) turned the job down. Someone else, however, has said yes. Not my place to break the news, but I assume we'll hear shortly.
Also not accurate. The AD has been in Hawaii with the band. There literally hasn't even been an opportunity to interview.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:10 am

boblee wrote:In case anyone would like to hear some actual attempt at reporting, rather than made-up tom foolery... I talked to Trent yesterday afternoon.

I simply said - are you returning as head coach at Grand Rapids? His response... "No."

I'm not saying he couldn't return. Who the heck knows. But the notion that he has decided to was made up by someone and is spread like wild-fire.
So you think Klatt would have said, "yes" when you asked him if he was coming back? Not on planet earth! Second, GR is a rabid hockey town. Heck the house pets in GR dream of their next championship. Combined with the fact it's 2016, the miles wouldn't come between GR and their next coach.

And leave Tom Foolery out of this; Tom never hurt anybody. I am just excited for the orange that's al :)

hadenuf

Post by hadenuf » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:11 am

boblee wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
Also not accurate. The AD has been in Hawaii with the band. There literally hasn't even been an opportunity to interview.
There goes any chance for an April Fools joke.

boblee

Post by boblee » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:19 am

kniven wrote:
boblee wrote:In case anyone would like to hear some actual attempt at reporting, rather than made-up tom foolery... I talked to Trent yesterday afternoon.

So you think Klatt would have said, "yes" when you asked him if he was coming back? Not on planet earth! Second, GR is a rabid hockey town. Heck the house pets in GR dream of their next championship. Combined with the fact it's 2016, the miles wouldn't come between GR and their next coach.

And leave Tom Foolery out of this; Tom never hurt anybody. I am just excited for the orange that's al :)
Well, Trent told me (GRHS Hockey Online) that he accepted the job initially before anyone else, he told me he was leaving before anyone else and he has been nothing but transparent. If he was returning, GRHS Hockey Online is going to be the first to get official word. So, do I think he would have said yes if it were true? Yes. We talked about more than just that, too.

Plus, had he chosen to return, there would be a process that would include the school board. They would have to approve the rescinding of the resignation.

wannagototherink

Post by wannagototherink » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:46 am

boblee wrote:
kniven wrote:

Well, Trent told me (GRHS Hockey Online) that he accepted the job initially before anyone else, he told me he was leaving before anyone else and he has been nothing but transparent. If he was returning, GRHS Hockey Online is going to be the first to get official word. So, do I think he would have said yes if it were true? Yes. We talked about more than just that, too.

Plus, had he chosen to return, there would be a process that would include the school board. They would have to approve the rescinding of the resignation.
GR gets what it deserves...look at the quality individuals they have run out of that job. Jon Rothstein? How do you run a guy like that out? Now Trent Klatt being run out? That's just at the high school level...same shenanigans goes on at the youth level. Outsider looking in, it seems that program is being turned upside down by a bunch of parents that are still bitter they couldn't cut when they played! So if you ask me (which I know no one is), That program will not recover until the whole organization from mites to Varsity get their priorities straight and go back to being a hard working, hard nose program. Grand Rapids Hockey has gotten way too metro! Just my opinion.
"I've never seen a dumb-bell score a goal!" ~Gretter

Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:56 am

boblee wrote:
kniven wrote:

Thanks. I've been hearing the rumors, too.

If you can, please clear one thing up:

I know we've all (well, most of us) have tried to read between the lines on a lot of this stuff, and as a result, one thing that's been out there is that Klatt was "forced out." I'm not certain this is true, and if not, the notion certainly isn't fair to Klatt. I believe he quit entirely on his own. Comments on GRHS Hockey's Facebook page also indicate that many in Rapids believe this. So....Was he forced out?

boblee

Post by boblee » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:07 am

Duluthguy wrote:
boblee wrote:
kniven wrote:

Thanks. I've been hearing the rumors, too.

If you can, please clear one thing up:

I know we've all (well, most of us) have tried to read between the lines on a lot of this stuff, and as a result, one thing that's been out there is that Klatt was "forced out." I'm not certain this is true, and if not, the notion certainly isn't fair to Klatt. I believe he quit entirely on his own. Comments on GRHS Hockey's Facebook page also indicate that many in Rapids believe this. So....Was he forced out?
Trent was not forced out. My understanding is that players, parents and admin all wish he wouldn't have left. But, no, he was not forced out.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:02 am

I will add that GR went to state 9 times from '72-'81 and won 3 titles- 2 runnerups- 2 3rd place- and 2 consolations.

They did that with Gus Hendrickson- Jim Nelson- Buzzy Christiansen-and back to Jim Nelson.

Point being that coaching changes don't automatically mean no success on the ice.

If you have a good youth program (and they do) along with some talented players, you will be fine most of the time.

IMHO

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:32 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:I will add that GR went to state 9 times from '72-'81 and won 3 titles- 2 runnerups- 2 3rd place- and 2 consolations.

They did that with Gus Hendrickson- Jim Nelson- Buzzy Christiansen-and back to Jim Nelson.

Point being that coaching changes don't automatically mean no success on the ice.

If you have a good youth program (and they do) along with some talented players, you will be fine most of the time.

IMHO
Allot has changed in the world since the 70's.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:52 am

kniven wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:I will add that GR went to state 9 times from '72-'81 and won 3 titles- 2 runnerups- 2 3rd place- and 2 consolations.

IMHO

My hair is way shorter and way more gray. :)

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:59 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
kniven wrote:

IMHO

My hair is way shorter and way more gray. :)
I hear you there my 7AA brother!!!