Green4. Great story!

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

GoldenBear

Green4. Great story!

Post by GoldenBear »

IMG_2888.PNG GB
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Oops! Technology too much for me. Saw that Adam Carlson junior gold goalie signed with Caps! GB
green4

Post by green4 »

I saw that, I was pretty surprised he made the jump so quickly, but he had good numbers this year. I'm sure all the hard work he has put in to prove people wrong has impressed some teams. Adam is a great player and a great person. Very exciting to have a former junior gold alum playing pros, whatever level it ends up to be :D
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

http://www.hurstathletics.com/news/2016 ... itals.aspx

Wow. Good for him! Junior Gold to Tier III to NAHL to Mercyhurst and now signing a pro deal after just one year there.
Be kind. Rewind.
tututangous

Hey Hawkeysauce89

Post by tututangous »

While Carlson lingered in junior gold there were two kids taking those varsity spots. Where are they now?
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Who were they Bueprere [Sp?] ?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

O-townClown wrote:Wow. Good for him! Junior Gold to Tier III to NAHL to Mercyhurst and now signing a pro deal after just one year there.
Has anyone ever repeated this path to signing a pro contract, or would this be a first?

Cut twice in Edina HS hockey tryouts, goalie signs NHL deal
http://www.startribune.com/cut-twice-in ... 373839971/
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

old goalie85 wrote:Who were they Bueprere [Sp?] ?
Benjamin and Beaupre. Carlson was probably just as good as either one, just didn't make it. It was a deep group of goaltenders with those three and another at JGA that were all pretty solid. Good for Adam.
green4

Post by green4 »

Carlson was part of that large senior group that was cut from edina in 2012. Only two seniors made that team, leer who was captain and Beaupre who was backup goalie. Carlson was better than Beaupre, Carlson probably should have made JV over him when they were 10th graders, but I would imagine it is hard to cut your own kid.
Benjamin ended up as the starter, which was not a bad decision since that experience helped him and the 2013 team win state for edina. And like the star tribune article says, Adam was a bit of a late bloomer and without being cut he might not end up where he is now. It was all the hard work he put in when he was cut that got him to where he is now.
Though I think Carlson was better than Beaupre, I don't think he was cut unfairly. Him and Beaupre were the two who probably should have been the JGA goalies, it was a deep goaltending group, and at the time I thought Dalbec was the best of senior goaltenders. He ended up playing with Carlson on JGA, which probably was the most talented Junior gold team I have seen since all those seniors got cut.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

MNHockeyFan wrote:Has anyone ever repeated this path to signing a pro contract, or would this be a first?
Edina merged East & West following the 1981 season and the teams from 1982 on were very difficult to make. A player named Scott Jenewein did not play Varsity for the Hornets, but he was a standout for Mankato St. eventually playing for the Peoria Rivermen in the AHL.

I believe he graduated from Edina in 1983.

I'm not sure about pro contracts, but it was not unusual during that era for guys to get cut from Edina and do pretty well. Mike Wurst did not play for the Varsity. He was drafted by an NHL team and played for Ohio State.

Dave Jecha was unable to crack Varsity at Edina, wound up at Minnetonka, and was drafted by an NHL team after a strong showing in the state tournament.

There are more than a dozen guys that excelled at Division III schools that did not make Edina's Varsity, and a couple even played at Notre Dame as they returned to Division I.

Today it is quite different as kids are more likely to seek out private schools and you don't have as much of a logjam at one school. Still, as evidenced by Carlson, it is possible to be pretty darn good and not make Varsity at a big hockey school.
Be kind. Rewind.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Fan, another interesting one that's perhaps most comparable to Carlson because they are both goalies is Ben Henrich. He was at Breck in 7th or 8th grade to play Varsity, then wound up at Edina where he played a little but didn't get much action. It could have even coincided with when Jenny Hanley was goalie.

He ultimately was named USA Hockey's National Junior Player of the Year, then played at Denver. I can't recall if he attended Edina in 11/12th grade, but it is another example of how you can be pretty good and still have trouble at a big school.
Be kind. Rewind.