Henry Enebak to SCSU

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The Exiled One
Posts: 1727
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 am

Henry Enebak to SCSU

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:10 pm


The Exiled One
Posts: 1727
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 am

Post by The Exiled One » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:25 am

Interesting trend at SCSU, 10 of their 12 committed recruits are from MN. The Huskies typically have fewer Minnesotans than UMN, UMD, and sometimes MSUM. They'll likely always have fewer than the Gophers, but they could potentially catch the Bulldogs. Could be a shift in recruiting strategy, a shift in how SCSU is perceived, coincidence, or a combination of all these factors.

InigoMontoya
Posts: 1719
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:36 pm

Post by InigoMontoya » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:34 am

Is it that SCSU is reaching deeper into the Minnesota talent barrel, or is it that more of the talent is choosing SCSU?

The Exiled One
Posts: 1727
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 am

Post by The Exiled One » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:26 am

InigoMontoya wrote:Is it that SCSU is reaching deeper into the Minnesota talent barrel, or is it that more of the talent is choosing SCSU?
Great question that only results can answer. However, let's not discount the ability of the SCSU coaching staff to separate the gold from the ore. Who would have guessed Borgen would be better than Sadek?

warriors41
Posts: 645
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:40 pm

Post by warriors41 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:33 am

The Exiled One wrote:Interesting trend at SCSU, 10 of their 12 committed recruits are from MN. The Huskies typically have fewer Minnesotans than UMN, UMD, and sometimes MSUM. They'll likely always have fewer than the Gophers, but they could potentially catch the Bulldogs. Could be a shift in recruiting strategy, a shift in how SCSU is perceived, coincidence, or a combination of all these factors.
I'd say it's not so much a change in how they are perceived, but it's a real, sustainable change in the level of their program. Motzko has done a fantastic job at SCSU, especially the last few years. Winning takes care of everything. You get more recruits, and better recruits.

I also wonder if conference performance plays into these decisions right now. The Gophers will always get more recruits, but I wonder if the poor performance and the B1G has made a few kids choose NCHC or WCHA schools in state. I expect the B1G to get better eventually, but they need to add more programs first. These first two years have left a lot to be desired.

It was a shame St. Cloud got bounced in the first round this year because they had a real good shot to win it all if not for the slow start.

MrBoDangles
Posts: 4045
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:48 am

I could ramble on with this topic.... It will only get better for this program with the "big name" schools pulling the trigger on bantam aged kids.

There will be flops.

Section 8 guy
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:04 pm

Post by Section 8 guy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:31 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:I could ramble on with this topic.... It will only get better for this program with the "big name" schools pulling the trigger on bantam aged kids.

There will be flops.
Exactly. Recruiting 9th graders there is definitely going to be flops. Not a good strategy at all.

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 6792
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:28 pm

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:49 pm

Section 8 guy wrote:Exactly. Recruiting 9th graders there is definitely going to be flops. Not a good strategy at all.
But if you don't recruit them you will lose out on any number of difference-makers.

Mite-dad
Posts: 1046
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:16 am

Post by Mite-dad » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:58 am

If my kid were D1 capable, I'd much rather he play for a SCSU, UND, UMD, UNO, etc. I'm within driving distance of most games. If he goes to the U, I can't or it would be a much larger issue for me. This reasoning may factor into the equation also.

BodyShots
Posts: 1778
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:44 am

Post by BodyShots » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:38 am

Mite-dad wrote:If my kid were D1 capable, I'd much rather he play for a SCSU, UND, UMD, UNO, etc. I'm within driving distance of most games. If he goes to the U, I can't or it would be a much larger issue for me. This reasoning may factor into the equation also.
What? :?

If your kid was any student at all, he would pick UofM over all of these. Unless of course you think he is going to make it in the NHL. :roll:

Mite-dad
Posts: 1046
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:16 am

Post by Mite-dad » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:12 am

BodyShots wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:If my kid were D1 capable, I'd much rather he play for a SCSU, UND, UMD, UNO, etc. I'm within driving distance of most games. If he goes to the U, I can't or it would be a much larger issue for me. This reasoning may factor into the equation also.
What? :?

If your kid was any student at all, he would pick UofM over all of these. Unless of course you think he is going to make it in the NHL. :roll:
Pretty sure a good student could get a solid education at any of the schools I listed.

BodyShots
Posts: 1778
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:44 am

Post by BodyShots » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:36 am

Mite-dad wrote:
BodyShots wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:If my kid were D1 capable, I'd much rather he play for a SCSU, UND, UMD, UNO, etc. I'm within driving distance of most games. If he goes to the U, I can't or it would be a much larger issue for me. This reasoning may factor into the equation also.
What? :?

If your kid was any student at all, he would pick UofM over all of these. Unless of course you think he is going to make it in the NHL. :roll:
Pretty sure a good student could get a solid education at any of the schools I listed.
No doubt. They all deliver a solid education, but the UofM has 100's of fortune 500 companies recruiting consistently, whereas the other schools.... not so much.

Let's assume a full ride has been offered at each of the schools. If my son is picking a school based on hockey alone, he can choose any of the schools you have listed. But, if he is picking a school for education and career opportunities, the UofM wins hands down.

The Exiled One
Posts: 1727
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 am

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:01 am

BodyShots wrote:No doubt. They all deliver a solid education, but the UofM has 100's of fortune 500 companies recruiting consistently, whereas the other schools.... not so much.

Let's assume a full ride has been offered at each of the schools. If my son is picking a school based on hockey alone, he can choose any of the schools you have listed. But, if he is picking a school for education and career opportunities, the UofM wins hands down.
I've hired to and have been hired by several companies of widely varying sizes over my career. I can declare in all honesty that where I received my degrees and where my job candidates received their degrees has never made any difference in a hiring decision.

If I'm hiring, the only scenario in which I MAY give more credit to the institution than to the area of study is if the applicant went to Harvard, Yale, MIT, Stanford or the like. If a U of M candidate and an SCSU candidate were interviewing for me, I'd hire the most qualified candidate. Their school of choice would literally make ZERO difference.

I know you'll disagree. Feel free to do so. I'm just sharing my personal experience.

My advice: Pick an area of study you're passionate about. Pick the school that has the best program for that area of study. A broadcasting major (SCSU) or aviation major (UND) would be stupid to attend the U of M.

stromboli
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:11 pm

Post by stromboli » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:23 am

The Exiled One wrote:
BodyShots wrote:No doubt. They all deliver a solid education, but the UofM has 100's of fortune 500 companies recruiting consistently, whereas the other schools.... not so much.

Let's assume a full ride has been offered at each of the schools. If my son is picking a school based on hockey alone, he can choose any of the schools you have listed. But, if he is picking a school for education and career opportunities, the UofM wins hands down.
I've hired to and have been hired by several companies of widely varying sizes over my career. I can declare in all honesty that where I received my degrees and where my job candidates received their degrees has never made any difference in a hiring decision.

If I'm hiring, the only scenario in which I MAY give more credit to the institution than to the area of study is if the applicant went to Harvard, Yale, MIT, Stanford or the like. If a U of M candidate and an SCSU candidate were interviewing for me, I'd hire the most qualified candidate. Their school of choice would literally make ZERO difference.

I know you'll disagree. Feel free to do so. I'm just sharing my personal experience.

My advice: Pick an area of study you're passionate about. Pick the school that has the best program for that area of study. A broadcasting major (SCSU) or aviation major (UND) would be stupid to attend the U of M.
This.

Gopher Blog
Posts: 1548
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:14 am
Contact:

Post by Gopher Blog » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:59 pm

It isn't as much the diploma as it is the networking and other opportunities afforded... and I can 100% guarantee that the networking at a place like CSOM at the U are unmatched by any of the small outstate schools... and it isn't even close.

Gopher Blog
Posts: 1548
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:14 am
Contact:

Post by Gopher Blog » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:05 pm

Mite-dad wrote:If my kid were D1 capable, I'd much rather he play for a SCSU, UND, UMD, UNO, etc. I'm within driving distance of most games. If he goes to the U, I can't or it would be a much larger issue for me. This reasoning may factor into the equation also.
27 of Minnesota's 37 total games were played in MN or Wisconsin this year... and the ones that weren't were in those two states were almost all on TV. Not exactly difficult to keep an eye on your kid's games.

DrGaf
Posts: 636
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:08 pm

Post by DrGaf » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:28 am

stromboli wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:
BodyShots wrote:No doubt. They all deliver a solid education, but the UofM has 100's of fortune 500 companies recruiting consistently, whereas the other schools.... not so much.

Let's assume a full ride has been offered at each of the schools. If my son is picking a school based on hockey alone, he can choose any of the schools you have listed. But, if he is picking a school for education and career opportunities, the UofM wins hands down.
I've hired to and have been hired by several companies of widely varying sizes over my career. I can declare in all honesty that where I received my degrees and where my job candidates received their degrees has never made any difference in a hiring decision.

If I'm hiring, the only scenario in which I MAY give more credit to the institution than to the area of study is if the applicant went to Harvard, Yale, MIT, Stanford or the like. If a U of M candidate and an SCSU candidate were interviewing for me, I'd hire the most qualified candidate. Their school of choice would literally make ZERO difference.

I know you'll disagree. Feel free to do so. I'm just sharing my personal experience.

My advice: Pick an area of study you're passionate about. Pick the school that has the best program for that area of study. A broadcasting major (SCSU) or aviation major (UND) would be stupid to attend the U of M.
This.
This. Double this.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

nahc
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:10 pm

Post by nahc » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:27 am

TOTALLY agree Exhiled One. The school you get your degree from does NOT translate into career success or even a job success. One provides their resume/CV, phone interviews and face to face interviews. I could care less about where the applicant received their education unless it was from a University of Phoenix type of "school". Carleton School of Management produces some outstanding graduates, but then again, that does not guarantee job or career success.... so straight back to CV, interviews, etc..

Bonin2121
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:42 pm

Post by Bonin2121 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:48 am

Everyone makes his or her own choice. I bet you see a difference in average starting salaries and five years out salaries between the schools in comparable majors/focus areas.

The Exiled One
Posts: 1727
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 am

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:06 am

Bonin2121 wrote:Everyone makes his or her own choice. I bet you see a difference in average starting salaries and five years out salaries between the schools in comparable majors/focus areas.
Correlation does not imply causation.

Jeffy95
Posts: 748
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Post by Jeffy95 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:48 am

The Exiled One wrote:
Bonin2121 wrote:Everyone makes his or her own choice. I bet you see a difference in average starting salaries and five years out salaries between the schools in comparable majors/focus areas.
Correlation does not imply causation.
I agree. It has a lot more to do with the quality of the student/person than the College Program. You're not going to find a lot of High School Valedictorians at Bemidji, SCSU or Mankato State. You will at the U and UMD. The Admission standards between those two and the other three are night and day as well.

Mite-dad
Posts: 1046
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:16 am

Post by Mite-dad » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:42 am

Poor Henry. A thread starts to congratulate him on his signing with SCSU and it ends up being a thread about how if he doesn't make the NHL, he'll end up a bum with a worthless degree from a worthless U living in a van down by the river. :wink:

Bluewhitefan
Posts: 479
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:43 am

Post by Bluewhitefan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:52 am

Jeffy95 wrote:You will at the U and UMD. The Admission standards between those two and the other three are night and day as well.
UMD belongs with the other three in terms of admission statistics - not even close to UM. In fact, UMD admits a higher % of applicants than Mankato.

zamboniexhaustinhaler
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:50 am

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:58 am

Mite-dad wrote:Poor Henry. A thread starts to congratulate him on his signing with SCSU and it ends up being a thread about how if he doesn't make the NHL, he'll end up a bum with a worthless degree from a worthless U living in a van down by the river. :wink:
No kidding.

This forum's a hoot. :P

I'm waiting for the usual line of "these are just high school kids", etc., etc. to make it's appearance.

The Exiled One
Posts: 1727
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 am

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:44 am

Mite-dad wrote:Poor Henry. A thread starts to congratulate him on his signing with SCSU and it ends up being a thread about how if he doesn't make the NHL, he'll end up a bum with a worthless degree from a worthless U living in a van down by the river. :wink:
I know, right? The only thing David Morley's debt-free MBA is good for is wiping away his tears. Poor guy should have played for the team that didn't make the NCAA tournament this year. At least then he'd be connected!

Post Reply