Ryan Poehling accelerates, will join SCSU in the fall

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Wasn't Travis Boyd 17 when he started for the Gophers as a Frosh?
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

BodyShots wrote:Wasn't Travis Boyd 17 when he started for the Gophers as a Frosh?
Yes, barely. He was a traditional freshman, just a bit young.

Tyler Pitlick, Jim O'Brien, and Jordan Schroeder were 17 and all played a full season of NCAA hockey prior to being eligible for the NHL draft. Poehling will be a member of this group.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Boyd has a September 93 birthday, he left Hopkins after ninth grade and spent 2 years in Ann Arbor. Enrolled at the U in what would have been his senior year. On the old side for his class but did accelerate.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

keepyourheadup wrote:Boyd has a September 93 birthday, he left Hopkins after ninth grade and spent 2 years in Ann Arbor. Enrolled at the U in what would have been his senior year. On the old side for his class but did accelerate.
Boyd is more similar to Nick Bjugstad and Aaron Ness. All accelerated, but all were drafted before college.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Boyd and Schroeder are almost identical as far as career path through their first two years at the U. Both September birthday with two years at the NDTP. O'brien was really young when he got to the U. Both Ness and Bjugstad were summer birthdays and kind of tweeters when it came to which class they would join for kindergarten.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Poehling is almost the same as O'Brien was, a January birthday. Could be a hell of a jump for Ryan but if things go well his draft status will just sky rocket. I hope it works out for him.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

keepyourheadup wrote:Could be a hell of a jump for Ryan but if things go well his draft status will just sky rocket.
Not that I think it'll happen, but if he has an explosive freshman season, he could even get drafted ahead of Mittelstadt, which would be a very interesting change of fortune.

Again, I don't think that will happen. Mittelstadt is the man. I just recognize the pieces are in place for that unlikely scenario.
zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler »

Rush, rush, hurry, hurry !
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Important to remember that all the guys that have been used as examples were extremely touted as prep players, all but Boyd were drafted in the first or second round. as freshman they had mixed results.....Schroeder had arguably the best year of his career at any level with 45 points. On the other end Boyd produced 9 points with just 1 goal. The others were in the 15-20 range. SCSU likes to get up and down the rink and Motz gets the best out of his guys but gosh they lost a ton of skill. With such limited experience against better competition you hope the kid can handle it. This ain't Kansas toto!
zamboniexhaustinhaler

keepyourheadup wrote:Important to remember that all the guys that have been used as examples were extremely touted as prep players, all but Boyd were drafted in the first or second round. as freshman they had mixed results.....Schroeder had arguably the best year of his career at any level with 45 points. On the other end Boyd produced 9 points with just 1 goal. The others were in the 15-20 range. SCSU likes to get up and down the rink and Motz gets the best out of his guys but gosh they lost a ton of skill. With such limited experience against better competition you hope the kid can handle it. This ain't Kansas toto!
I'm just glad such kids make the jump; after all, delaying it for a year or so would just destroy their talents..........<sarcasm mode off>. :wink:
stromboli

Post by stromboli »

zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:
keepyourheadup wrote:Important to remember that all the guys that have been used as examples were extremely touted as prep players, all but Boyd were drafted in the first or second round. as freshman they had mixed results.....Schroeder had arguably the best year of his career at any level with 45 points. On the other end Boyd produced 9 points with just 1 goal. The others were in the 15-20 range. SCSU likes to get up and down the rink and Motz gets the best out of his guys but gosh they lost a ton of skill. With such limited experience against better competition you hope the kid can handle it. This ain't Kansas toto!
I'm just glad such kids make the jump; after all, delaying it for a year or so would just destroy their talents..........<sarcasm mode off>. :wink:
The kid gets to do something rare and also gets to play with his brothers. Congrats to him and his family. I won't question the choice they made as I didn't have to weigh the pros and cons they did. The fact that he had the option to go is impressive in and of itself. The fact that he gets to play another year with his brothers is something that probably weighed very heavily. It's hard to underestimate family ties in a case like this.

Why is it that we celebrate intellectually advanced kids that graduate from college at young ages, but tear down student-athletes who may also be advancing their education?

Whether these kids go pro or not, they have an opportunity to advance their education with less debt than the masses. If they do make it to the pros, congrats again. Whether they get their degree or not probably isn't determined by whether they start college at age 17 or 20, but by their desire to follow though with a degree and/or their talents and the options they have as a result.

What ever happened to respecting others and their decisions and wishing them the best versus passive aggressive shots made while using forum monikers/screen names?

Not preaching. Just commenting on what I see as a continual down spiral in our collective ability to support MN kids and their efforts to strive to be their best.

Remember, we're not talking about mites and parents who might be a bit too aggressive with their kids' development. We're talking about young adults that have a say in the direction they take. Casey M is the counterpoint to Ryan P. Each made a decision they felt was the best for them. My best to both young men and all who are talented enough to be put in the hard position of having to make the choices they've had to make. They're in select company.

The rest of us are just armchair quarterbacks chattering from the sidelines while we WATCH what they DO.
thespellchecker

Post by thespellchecker »

stromboli wrote:
The kid gets to do something rare and also gets to play with his brothers. Congrats to him and his family. I won't question the choice they made as I didn't have to weigh the pros and cons they did. The fact that he had the option to go is impressive in and of itself. The fact that he gets to play another year with his brothers is something that probably weighed very heavily. It's hard to underestimate family ties in a case like this.

Why is it that we celebrate intellectually advanced kids that graduate from college at young ages, but tear down student-athletes who may also be advancing their education?

Whether these kids go pro or not, they have an opportunity to advance their education with less debt than the masses. If they do make it to the pros, congrats again. Whether they get their degree or not probably isn't determined by whether they start college at age 17 or 20, but by their desire to follow though with a degree and/or their talents and the options they have as a result.

What ever happened to respecting others and their decisions and wishing them the best versus passive aggressive shots made while using forum monikers/screen names?

Not preaching. Just commenting on what I see as a continual down spiral in our collective ability to support MN kids and their efforts to strive to be their best.

Remember, we're not talking about mites and parents who might be a bit too aggressive with their kids' development. We're talking about young adults that have a say in the direction they take. Casey M is the counterpoint to Ryan P. Each made a decision they felt was the best for them. My best to both young men and all who are talented enough to be put in the hard position of having to make the choices they've had to make. They're in select company.

The rest of us are just armchair quarterbacks chattering from the sidelines while we WATCH what they DO.
Where is the LIKE button? =D>
8-TIME weekly & 2-Time Season Pick Em Champ
zamboniexhaustinhaler

stromboli wrote:

<shrug>

Just expressing my opinion on the subject.

I realize it doesn't fit with 99.9% of the forum members, but I'll try to live with that. :wink:

Of course, I'm still waiting for the story line of "Gee, if only Jimmy hadn't stayed that extra year at (whatever level).
He coulda been a contenda."

Unfortunately, there's plenty of the opposite examples over the years.....
stromboli

Post by stromboli »

stromboli wrote:
zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote: I'm just glad such kids make the jump; after all, delaying it for a year or so would just destroy their talents..........<sarcasm mode off>. :wink:

<shrug>

I realize it doesn't fit with 99.9% of the forum members, but I'll try to live with that. :wink:

Of course, I'm still waiting for the story line of "Gee, if only Jimmy hadn't stayed that extra year at (whatever level).

My take away from your opinion is that anyone who takes a risk to do something that sets them outside of a "normal" development path is doing something stupid. You didn't state it that way, but that's how I took it.

How about using a similar but different choice. What about kids who choose to leave home to represent their country and head to Ann Arbor? It's not much different than Ryan vs. Casey in that some kids choose to go and others don't.

Should we criticize K'Andre Miller for taking advantage of a once in a lifetime opportunity and all of the experiences that come with that? Or should we support him as a hockey community, recognizing that not every kid who wears a team USA jersey makes it to the pros, and applaud him for taking a less traveled path?

You and I can disagree on this topic, that's fine. I'm simply more prone to give props to those that are willing to put themselves outside of their comfort zone and take risks to grow, regardless of their ultimate success, because it takes a level of commitment and conviction that few have.
zamboniexhaustinhaler

stromboli wrote:
stromboli wrote: The kid gets to do something rare and also gets to play with his brothers. Congrats to him and his family. I won't question the choice they made as I didn't have to weigh the pros and cons they did. The fact that he had the option to go is impressive in and of itself. The fact that he gets to play another year with his brothers is something that probably weighed very heavily. It's hard to underestimate family ties in a case like this.

<shrug>

My take away from your opinion is that anyone who takes a risk to do something that sets them outside of a "normal" development path is doing something stupid. You didn't state it that way, but that's how I took it.

How about using a similar but different choice. What about kids who choose to leave home to represent their country and head to Ann Arbor? It's not much different than Ryan vs. Casey in that some kids choose to go and others don't.

Should we criticize K'Andre Miller for taking advantage of a once in a lifetime opportunity and all of the experiences that come with that? Or should we support him as a hockey community, recognizing that not every kid who wears a team USA jersey makes it to the pros, and applaud him for taking a less traveled path?

You and I can disagree on this topic, that's fine. I'm simply more prone to give props to those that are willing to put themselves outside of their comfort zone and take risks to grow, regardless of their ultimate success, because it takes a level of commitment and conviction that few have.

What you're prone to doing, is putting words in my mouth that I never said.

Kid wants to leave mites to play NHL, knock yourself out.

But it's still (sorta) a free country, so I'll express my opinion on it.
stromboli

Post by stromboli »

Zamboni,

Relax. I didn't say you weren't entitled to your opinion. If anything, you're probably in the majority on this issue, not me.

I didn't put any words in your mouth. I let you know how I reacted to your post and then gave you some more material to chew on and work with. You could have chosen to agree or disagree and let me know why. You did neither.

If you're not willing to engage in a debate on a forum, no need to try to go with the one-upsmanship. You win.

Peace and out.
zamboniexhaustinhaler

stromboli wrote:Zamboni,

Relax. I didn't say you weren't entitled to your opinion. If anything, you're probably in the majority on this issue, not me.

I didn't put any words in your mouth. I let you know how I reacted to your post and then gave you some more material to chew on and work with. You could have chosen to agree or disagree and let me know why. You did neither.

If you're not willing to engage in a debate on a forum, no need to try to go with the one-upsmanship. You win.

Peace and out.
Debate ?

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind.

Have a nice evening.
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

stromboli wrote:
stromboli wrote: The kid gets to do something rare and also gets to play with his brothers. Congrats to him and his family. I won't question the choice they made as I didn't have to weigh the pros and cons they did. The fact that he had the option to go is impressive in and of itself. The fact that he gets to play another year with his brothers is something that probably weighed very heavily. It's hard to underestimate family ties in a case like this.

<shrug>

This is nothing. Wait until the next MN kid decides to play Canadian juniors instead of the NCAA/USHl route...
Shortshift

Post by Shortshift »

Rumor floating around that SCSU didn't have much of a say in this. Notice the bold word.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Shortshift wrote:Rumor floating around that SCSU didn't have much of a say in this. Notice the bold word.
When faced with an ultimatum, Motzko has already displayed his willingness to cut a recruit loose. If Motzko didn't think Ryan would be able to contribute he would have cut him loose. Of course SCSU has a say in this. To imply otherwise is disingenuous.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

The rumor stuff is nonsense. I said earlier that "this ain't Kansas ToTo". No way does Motz get pushed around by his recruits or their families. It's a whole new ballgame and parents do not have a seat at the table.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

keepyourheadup wrote:The rumor stuff is nonsense. I said earlier that "this ain't Kansas ToTo". No way does Motz get pushed around by his recruits or their families. It's a whole new ballgame and parents do not have a seat at the table.
Exactly. There are plenty of kids who'd jump at the chance to play for Team USA's head coach (and SCSU, of course). When there are 27 players on a roster, no single recruit is going to have that much leverage, whatever their hype may be.
Bluelightspecial-II

Post by Bluelightspecial-II »

The Exiled One wrote:
keepyourheadup wrote:The rumor stuff is nonsense. I said earlier that "this ain't Kansas ToTo". No way does Motz get pushed around by his recruits or their families. It's a whole new ballgame and parents do not have a seat at the table.
Exactly. There are plenty of kids who'd jump at the chance to play for Team USA's head coach (and SCSU, of course). When there are 27 players on a roster, no single recruit is going to have that much leverage, whatever their hype may be.
It's obvious to me, that none of you have had the chance to meet Sats81! Lol