Early departures: 2016-17

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

dueling21

Early departures: 2016-17

Post by dueling21 »

Well, it's time to start the annual thread of who's moving on before they graduate from high school hockey. Not to steal from The Exiled One, but here's his past lists:

Previous Lists
2008-2009
2009-2010
2010-2011
2011-2012
2012-2013
2013-2014
2014-2015

Code: Select all

Class Pos Player            HS Team              New Team               College
karl(east)

Re: Early departures: 2016-17

Post by karl(east) »

Getting this rolling...anyone out there with more details?

Class Pos       Player              HS Team               New Team             College
Sr     F        Ryan Poehling       Lakeville North       St. Cloud State      St. Cloud State   
So     F        Trevor Janicke      Maple Grove           NTDP                 Notre Dame
Jr     F        Jaxon Nelson        Luverne               USHL-Sioux Falls     Minnesota
Sr     F        Marko Reifenberger  Hill-Murray           Bloomington-USHL
Jr     F        Dylan Mills         Hill-Murray           TBD
Sr     F        Cameron Buhl        South St. Paul        Minnesota-NAHL
Sr     D        Hank Sorensen       Wayzata               Waterloo-USHL
Jr     D        K'Andre Miller      Minnetonka            NTDP                 Wisconsin
So     G        Ryan Ullan          Hibbing               NTDP
Jr     G        Keegan Karki        St. Cloud Cathedral   NTDP                 North Dakota

Last edited by karl(east) on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Karl, thats what I know is announced.

I have heard 2 more fairly certain, and 6 more under consideration although some of that is dated info...
BP

Post by BP »

I know 2 more. Can I post it?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

BP wrote:I know 2 more. Can I post it?
If you're sure about them, go ahead.
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY »

Cambridge/Isanti's goalie left the program for the 2nd time. He is going to play club/AAA hockey in Omaha. It leaves their HS program and 26 skaters with out a goalie.
hunting247

Post by hunting247 »

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:Cambridge/Isanti's goalie left the program for the 2nd time. He is going to play club/AAA hockey in Omaha. It leaves their HS program and 26 skaters with out a goalie.
Sibell was a classic example of peaking early
thespellchecker

Post by thespellchecker »

hunting247 wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:Cambridge/Isanti's goalie left the program for the 2nd time. He is going to play club/AAA hockey in Omaha. It leaves their HS program and 26 skaters with out a goalie.
Did that feel good?
8-TIME weekly & 2-Time Season Pick Em Champ
hunting247

Post by hunting247 »

thespellchecker wrote:
hunting247 wrote:
Did that feel good?
Yep :twisted:
kniven

Post by kniven »

That's too bad for the Bluejackets.....
4on5again

Post by 4on5again »

hunting247 wrote:
thespellchecker wrote:
hunting247 wrote: Sibell was a classic example of peaking early
Did that feel good?

Not sure why you'd be a hater. The Minnesota high school hockey model has its cons for sure. I love MN HS hockey, but it is in an ivory tower. Do a little research and you'll see that this program (and others like it) will continue to prep elite players that thrive at the next level. They make their money proving you wrong. As always, Omaha is getting some horses.
zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler »

Today's youth sports world: It's all about me.
10minutemajor

Post by 10minutemajor »

zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:
Well at certain point I'm not sure who else you think it should be about. And before you blow a gasket, I'm not saying it should ever "be all about me" when you are ON a team. But should kids in programs or situations that might not bode well for their development to stay there anyway -- for everyone else? (Seriously -- would another kid stay behind for them? I doubt it.) Or, should they pursue the avenue they believe will help them achieve their goals. If you don't look out for yourself, no else is going to do it for you.

That being said, jerking the team, coaches and other families around for years with your indecisiveness is not the way to go about things.
zamboniexhaustinhaler

10minutemajor wrote:
Well at certain point I'm not sure who else you think it should be about. And before you blow a gasket, I'm not saying it should ever "be all about me" when you are ON a team. But should kids in programs or situations that might not bode well for their development to stay there anyway -- for everyone else? (Seriously -- would another kid stay behind for them? I doubt it.) Or, should they pursue the avenue they believe will help them achieve their goals. If you don't look out for yourself, no else is going to do it for you.

That being said, jerking the team, coaches and other families around for years with your indecisiveness is not the way to go about things.
Blow a gasket ? Why ?

I've made my opinion on the subject made.

I have no desire to change anyone's opinion, and am not naive enough to feel my opinion will change anything either.

It is what it is.

Which is a shame.

<g>
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY »

10minutemajor wrote:

I don't have any issue with parents doing what they think is best for their child. A person just hopes they are doing it for the right reasons.

As far as no one is or was going to look out for the young man, that is not exactly true, both coaches he played for at CI, bent over backwards for the young man and family. There are many who feel this year would have been a perfect year for the young man to get his game back, considering he played JV last year and didn't make it out of the sections HP.

Not saying that the family should make decisions based on what is good for others, but it certainly is a bad/sad deal for the HS, a very good young coach and 26 skaters.

I am not sure if 4on5 has the correct team in Omaha, but if he/she does, then the definition of "Elite" and "horses" could be questioned.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Updated full list...a few others pending but we'll wait till actual confirmation.

Class Pos       Player              HS Team               New Team             College
Sr     F        Ryan Poehling       Lakeville North       St. Cloud State      St. Cloud State   
So     F        Trevor Janicke      Maple Grove           NTDP                 Notre Dame
Jr     F        Jaxon Nelson        Luverne               USHL-Sioux Falls     Minnesota
Sr     F        Isaac Johnson       Anoka                 Des Moines-USHL
Jr     D        K'Andre Miller      Minnetonka            NTDP                 Wisconsin
Jr     G        Keegan Karki        St. Cloud Cathedral   NTDP                 North Dakota
Jr     G        Jacob Sibell        Cambridge-Isanti      Omaha-AAA

zamboniexhaustinhaler

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
10minutemajor wrote:
zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote: Today's youth sports world: It's all about me.

I don't have any issue with parents doing what they think is best for their child. A person just hopes they are doing it for the right reasons.

As far as no one is or was going to look out for the young man, that is not exactly true, both coaches he played for at CI, bent over backwards for the young man and family. There are many who feel this year would have been a perfect year for the young man to get his game back, considering he played JV last year and didn't make it out of the sections HP.

Not saying that the family should make decisions based on what is good for others, but it certainly is a bad/sad deal for the HS, a very good young coach and 26 skaters.

I am not sure if 4on5 has the correct team in Omaha, but if he/she does, then the definition of "Elite" and "horses" could be questioned.
Perhaps the common situation, usually from the parents, of "This coach doesn't realize how good my kid is. We'll put him in x program (almost always, a pay to play) and show them" ?

Don't know, but have seen it numerous times.

Not once did it pan out.

Parents money to burn though, so whatever.
ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting »

Payton Madison & Nikolai Jenson River Lakes to AAA Omaha
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!
imlisteningtothefnsong

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong »

That is a great move by those two boys. David Wilkie is a great coach who will challenge them far more than the River Lakes system. Both are skilled players making a great decision.
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

Add Connor Mayer (Sioux City) and Ryan Bischel (Fargo) to the list.
BP

Post by BP »

Add Clay Phillips - Fargo of USHL. Has to start becoming a bit of concern in Hornet land....
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Another update:

Sr     F        Isaac Johnson       Anoka                 Des Moines-USHL
So     F        Payton Madison      River Lakes           Omaha-AAA
Jr     D        Clayton Phillips    Edina                 Fargo-USHL           Minnesota
Sr     D        Connor Mayer        Benilde               Sioux City-USHL      UConn
So     D        Nikolai Jenson      River Lakes           Omaha-AAA
Jr     G        Jacob Sibell        Cambridge-Isanti      Omaha-AAA
Sr     G        Ryan Bischel        Benilde               Fargo-USHL
Sr     G        Parker Swanson      Hopkins               Chicago Fury-AAA
Not surprised by Phillips, but somewhat surprised by the Benilde defections. Now it's *really* going to be a rebuilding year for the Red Knights.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Are some of these listed premature? Just because a kid is on a USHL roster doesn't mean there gone unless it's a tender situation like Nelson. IF some of these end up on the final roster do you know they aren't doing the before and after? I know one on the list and my understanding is he has not decided what he'll do in November.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Are some of these listed premature? Just because a kid is on a USHL roster doesn't mean there gone unless it's a tender situation like Nelson. IF some of these end up on the final roster do you know they aren't doing the before and after? I know one on the list and my understanding is he has not decided what he'll do in November.
If you think someone shouldn't be on here, let me know (via PM, if you prefer). In most cases here I'm pretty sure, and if a player's committed to the USHL and not on an Elite League roster it's pretty clear there's some sort of agreement, but that doesn't mean there isn't some bad information floating around out there.
hunting247

Post by hunting247 »

4on5again wrote:
hunting247 wrote:
thespellchecker wrote: Did that feel good?

Not sure why you'd be a hater. The Minnesota high school hockey model has its cons for sure. I love MN HS hockey, but it is in an ivory tower. Do a little research and you'll see that this program (and others like it) will continue to prep elite players that thrive at the next level. They make their money proving you wrong. As always, Omaha is getting some horses.
Horses :roll: