Strong Class recruited at Lakeville North

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:Whole lotta angst, anxiety, and worry about what is supposed to be a kids game, eh ? :wink:
I think the prospect (hope?) of landing a college scholarship that can easily top $200,000 can make it a game for parents, too.
If you sincerely believe that, I have a bridge to sell ya too.

Not even addressing the fact, that who's the kid playing the game for then ?

Or your over $200k figure for that matter

<g>
What I said was not directed at anyone in particular, including the coaches, parents and players from the schools mentioned in this thread. Generally speaking, the potential rewards (scholarships, and pro salaries for a very select few) do raise the stakes for parents who've "invested" thousands for each of their kids who are serious about hockey. Of course the vast majority will never see their kid(s) in a D1 team uniform, but if they enjoy watching them play the game and do their best until that reality sinks in, that's OK too.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

If you are a parent with kids in youth sports and you are in it for the financial reward you have a screw loose. Not to mention you are missing out on what can oftentimes be a really cool experience through the years.....and almost certainly completely ruining the same potentially great experience for your kid(s)......even in the extremely unlikely event they do eventually "make it".

I hate to tell you but the odds are far greater, infinitely greater, that you will end up $50,000 in the hole than they are that you will ever see $1 of financial gain.
zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler »

Section 8 guy wrote:If you are a parent with kids in youth sports and you are in it for the financial reward you have a screw loose. Not to mention you are missing out on what can oftentimes be a really cool experience through the years.....and almost certainly completely ruining the same potentially great experience for your kid(s)......even in the extremely unlikely event they do eventually "make it".

I hate to tell you but the odds are far greater, infinitely greater, that you will end up $50,000 in the hole than they are that you will ever see $1 of financial gain.
This.

Any parent with an "investment" attitude about youth sports has the wrong attitude and is a fool.

Unfortunately, I do believe that is the mindset in the majority, and is part of the reason youth sports are the way they are in today's world.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Section 8 guy wrote:If you are a parent with kids in youth sports and you are in it for the financial reward you have a screw loose. Not to mention you are missing out on what can oftentimes be a really cool experience through the years.....and almost certainly completely ruining the same potentially great experience for your kid(s)......even in the extremely unlikely event they do eventually "make it".

What are the odds for a talented player that can make the roster on a top team?

What are the odds the kid can have a "Really Cool Experience" when really shooting for something better?

What are the odds for a talented kid, when approximately 50 kids per class go D1? Parents can see where their kid stacks up...

What are the odds for kids with parents that say its nearly impossible??
observer

Post by observer »

What are the odds playing 70 Bantam games is a better experience, and better for development, than being a 9th grader on a varsity team.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

There are less than 2000 college (D1 or 2) hockey players.
In all, probably 40,000 US high school age players.
About 5% assuming all are coming from US which we know is not happening.

Schools have 18 scholarships that can be split up to more than 18 kids.
Which they do (Ivy league schools do not offer athletic scholarships).

Scholarships vary dramatically (somewhat based on cost of tuition at a particular school). At the U of MN the average annual scholarship is worth about $14,500. That would make it about $60,000. On the high end of schools about $120,000. The question is the difference. Most scholarships will cover 70% or so.
So if the cost is $5000 a year starting at peewees, for about 5% (less in reality) of he kids, yes it is worth it.

Reality is there are a lot more academic scholarships available. So study.

Now if your talking pro...
Lots of pro teams out there....
Last edited by elliott70 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

observer wrote:What are the odds playing 70 Bantam games is a better experience, and better for development, than being a 9th grader on a varsity team.
I don't think these kids are necessarily even planning to tryout for the high school team this year. I assume they have enrolled in the high school they eventually hope to play for. I suppose they could even play bantams at the same association they played for last year, assuming they haven't moved into the new district; though it would make more sense to play with the kids you'll play with the three years after that (also assuming they don't leave to juniors).
Gotothenetman

Post by Gotothenetman »

InigoMontoya wrote:
observer wrote:What are the odds playing 70 Bantam games is a better experience, and better for development, than being a 9th grader on a varsity team.
I don't think these kids are necessarily even planning to tryout for the high school team this year. I assume they have enrolled in the high school they eventually hope to play for. I suppose they could even play bantams at the same association they played for last year, assuming they haven't moved into the new district; though it would make more sense to play with the kids you'll play with the three years after that (also assuming they don't leave to juniors).
That's the real funny and surprising thing. If you were not recruited or promised something you would likely register for Bantams to protect yourself if you don't make the high school team. It sounds like none of these kids registered for Bantams in either Lakeville or the town that they currently live in. Real risky, maybe real confident in their abilities or where they promised something???? Who Knows???
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Gotothenetman wrote:
InigoMontoya wrote:
That's the real funny and surprising thing. If you were not recruited or promised something you would likely register for Bantams to protect yourself if you don't make the high school team. It sounds like none of these kids registered for Bantams in either Lakeville or the town that they currently live in. Real risky, maybe real confident in their abilities or where they promised something???? Who Knows???
Keep in mind also that they can't play at the Highest Bantam Level in their new school Association. They still have to play at a lower level for one year. There was a proposal to change it this year so that 9th graders could transfer without penalty. MN Hockey voted on it and it was unanimously defeated, which is interesting given the link between Youth Hockey and High School Hockey. They could play at the Highest Bantam level at their previous Association, but that may be a little awkward. Especially if you make the top team and then bail when you make the Varsity at your new school. I'm guessing most Associations would not take a kid on the top team in this situation.

Waiting until 9th grade to transfer can be tricky. That's why most parents transfer their kids in Mites now. Get that one year done at the new school before you try out for an A team in Squirts. If you have to transfer again, then do it during your first year at a level and hopefully the Association has a AA and A team so you can at least play A's.

I'm guessing these kids that transfer as Freshman are okay with the possibility of playing JV. It's really their only realistic option if they don't make the Varsity, other than play on the 2nd Bantam team at the new school.
zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler »

elliott70 wrote:There are less than 2000 college (D1 or 2) hockey players.

Scholarships vary dramatically (somewhat based on cost of tuition at a particular school). At the U of MN the average annual scholarship is worth about $14,500. That would make it about $60,000. On the high end of schools about $120,000. The question is the difference. Most scholarships will cover 70% or so.
So if the cost is $5000 a year starting at peewees, for about 5% (less in reality) of he kids, yes it is worth it.

Even more interesting, is I would wager the vast majority of that "5%" don't even need scholarships anyway per their background.

:wink:
BowlusGoon

Post by BowlusGoon »

Even more interesting, is I would wager the vast majority of that "5%" don't even need scholarships anyway per their background.

problem is the athletes home town (Rosemont) sends the tax dollars approximately $4800 to the new school (Lakeville). Transferring tax dollars for kids to play sports was not what state legislators had in who mind when the passed the open enrollment law. Where I live, I know of 1 family who opened enrolled for reasons other than sports. They opened enrolled back to the town they lived in prior. I can name 20 plus kids who open enrolled due to sports, yet they have siblings still going to our school! Academics have nothing to do with it. Go to a private school, don't make the tax payers subsidize your training!
Last edited by BowlusGoon on Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey »

Parents are just crazy. They actually think open enrolling to another school will solve "all the problems." What they don't realize is THEY ARE THE PROBLEM
slapshot6699

Post by slapshot6699 »

The North cross-town rival coach is much worse with his "business operations", or I mean HS coaching job.
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

BowlusGoon wrote:

problem is the athletes home town (Rosemont) sends the tax dollars approximately $4800 to the new school (Lakeville). Transferring tax dollars for kids to play sports was not what state legislators had in who mind when the passed the open enrollment law. Where I live, I know of 1 family who opened enrolled for reasons other than sports. They opened enrolled back to the town they lived in prior. I can name 20 plus kids who open enrolled due to sports, yet they have siblings still going to our school! Academics have nothing to do with it. Go to a private school, don't make the tax payers subsidize your training!

Inaccurate. ...Kids open enrolling in other public schools don't take tax dollars from the previous school...the dollars follow the kid, so the schools only recieve the money for each kid enrolled...the school would not receive any dollars for a kid who goes elsewhere,public or private
BowlusGoon

Post by BowlusGoon »

nu2hockey wrote:
BowlusGoon wrote:
zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote: Even more interesting, is I would wager the vast majority of that "5%" don't even need scholarships anyway per their background.

Inaccurate. ...Kids open enrolling in other public schools don't take tax dollars from the previous school...the dollars follow the kid, so the schools only recieve the money for each kid enrolled...the school would not receive any dollars for a kid who goes elsewhere,public or private
Exactly what I wrote:
Student living in Rosemont, open enrolls at Lakeville. Lakeville gets the $4500. That is a transfer of money. Private schools do not receive public tax dollars.
As a former school board member, we hire teachers, build schools based on the population within a a schools district...open enrollment changed how we make these decisions.
Bluelightspecial-II

Post by Bluelightspecial-II »

slapshot6699 wrote:The North cross-town rival coach is much worse with his "business operations", or I mean HS coaching job.
What??
thespellchecker

Post by thespellchecker »

Bluelightspecial-II wrote:
slapshot6699 wrote:The North cross-town rival coach is much worse with his "business operations", or I mean HS coaching job.
What??
"S" patent
8-TIME weekly & 2-Time Season Pick Em Champ
slapshot6699

Post by slapshot6699 »

[quote="thespellchecker"][quote="Bluelightspecial-II"][quote="slapshot6699"]The North cross-town rival coach is much worse with his "business operations", or I mean HS coaching job.[/quote]

What??[/quote]

"S" patent[/quote]

Hah - heard about that. Wonder what Stanford thinks about that?
Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone »

BowlusGoon wrote:
nu2hockey wrote:
BowlusGoon wrote: problem is the athletes home town (Rosemont) sends the tax dollars approximately $4800 to the new school (Lakeville). Transferring tax dollars for kids to play sports was not what state legislators had in who mind when the passed the open enrollment law. Where I live, I know of 1 family who opened enrolled for reasons other than sports. They opened enrolled back to the town they lived in prior. I can name 20 plus kids who open enrolled due to sports, yet they have siblings still going to our school! Academics have nothing to do with it. Go to a private school, don't make the tax payers subsidize your training!

Exactly what I wrote:
Student living in Rosemont, open enrolls at Lakeville. Lakeville gets the $4500. That is a transfer of money. Private schools do not receive public tax dollars.
As a former school board member, we hire teachers, build schools based on the population within a a schools district...open enrollment changed how we make these decisions.
Correct. This is why public school districts now offer E-STEM, Online, Language Immersion, ALC's, etc., with in their district. They what to keep kids and attract other kids around the area. Big attendance = Big State and Federal money.
barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell »

Anyone see this video? 2016 Lakeville North Bantam Parent Meeting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIgo1SyEJMI

Coach Eigner talks about his feelings about the current group of bantams.
Gotothenetman

Post by Gotothenetman »

barry_mcconnell wrote:Anyone see this video? 2016 Lakeville North Bantam Parent Meeting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIgo1SyEJMI

Coach Eigner talks about his feelings about the current group of bantams.
Looks like he did a good job of setting up his response to the families when he cuts a bunch of them to keep all the recruits.
nahc

Post by nahc »

Great utube post. Coach was very clear about his expectations. I have 0 problem with anything that he stated.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Told it like it is. Wants kids to succeed, but has to make decisions and cuts are made. Is this type of meeting happening in most programs?
slapshot6699

Post by slapshot6699 »

[quote="mulefarm"]Told it like it is. Wants kids to succeed, but has to make decisions and cuts are made. Is this type of meeting happening in most programs?[/quote]

Not happening on the other side of town. Completely different show over there. It's comical when those parents complain about North's issues.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

My guess is it sounds like Eigner is a lot more involved with the youth program than most high school coaches are so I wouldn't think meetings like this are going on all over, no. I certainly could be wrong though.

Probably a naive comment.......but I can't imagine the folks at the MSHSL wouldn't cringe at least a little over the parts where he is somewhat flippant about kids moving into the program.