Class A hockey

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:05 pm

Hermhawkey wrote:The article does state there is now a waiting list for most grades. People want their kids in this district primarily for the schools. Of the 20% that have successfully open enrolled I would bet few are even hockey players. Like I said, my sophomore has not seen any changes in who he has played with his entire youth hockey career. Same 40 or so kids. The exception was one move in. Plus, 2 have left for Marshall one moved to southern MN. I don't doubt we've had some open enroll at the younger levels. I don't blame them great schools and our sports programs are fantastic. Not rocket science.
It says "some" grades, not "most." Those are two very different words.

If parents were open-enrolling for the schools they would be sending their kids to Esko. That is the only public school in the area that stands out from the rest. All of the other Elementary schools, with the exception of one in Duluth, are all ranked about the same. They're all Public schools. Same state mandated curricula, hiring from the same pool of teachers and same per-pupil funding. Out of all of the Hockey players that have open-enrolled to Hermantown I only know of one who is an average player. The rest of them were all in the top 1-2 players their age at their former Associations. Quite a stretch to say they're going for the schools.

Hermhawkey

Post by Hermhawkey » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:27 pm

Sure, we have some open enrollees (apparently)and move-ins. You seem to track our kids closer than I do. I guess that is a sign of a successful program. All good programs draw from the weak ones. We don't test players for Hermantown native DNA. Like I said, my 10th grader has played with mostly the same group from mites. My forecast is we will be AA after this year and you will have your wish. For what it's worth it's mine too.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:08 am

Hermhawkey wrote:Sure, we have some open enrollees (apparently)and move-ins. You seem to track our kids closer than I do. I guess that is a sign of a successful program. All good programs draw from the weak ones. We don't test players for Hermantown native DNA. Like I said, my 10th grader has played with mostly the same group from mites. My forecast is we will be AA after this year and you will have your wish. For what it's worth it's mine too.
I hope you're right. It would be a big shot in the arm for both AA and A hockey in the North.

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:27 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Hermhawkey wrote:Sure, we have some open enrollees (apparently)and move-ins. You seem to track our kids closer than I do. I guess that is a sign of a successful program. All good programs draw from the weak ones. We don't test players for Hermantown native DNA. Like I said, my 10th grader has played with mostly the same group from mites. My forecast is we will be AA after this year and you will have your wish. For what it's worth it's mine too.
I hope you're right. It would be a big shot in the arm for both AA and A hockey in the North.
Enter Hermantown and exit Elk River from 7AA

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:03 am

pekyman wrote:You jokers that are accusing Hermantown of recruiting don't have a clue what you are talking about.
Looks like these Joker's aren't the only ones.

From the HAHA August Board Meeting Minutes:

15. Membership questions

Re: PWAA non-parent coach not available: Janzig noting that if a nonparent can be found it would alleviate a lot of frustration and drama. Carlson questioning if drama is from parents or players or if parents are ‘coaching’ their kids with unnecessary drama at home. Both parties agreed to disagree on the matter. Huttel noted that he hears that drama is from a history of kids not playing and sitting the bench while only select kids play. Some coaches are also recruiting players from other districts/schools to play on HAHA teams. Huttel wants the parents to talk more openly and respectfully about these issues real-time and help to move forward to have a successful PW year.

Link to the full meeting minutes:

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/docu ... inutes.pdf

rainier

Post by rainier » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:50 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
pekyman wrote:You jokers that are accusing Hermantown of recruiting don't have a clue what you are talking about.

15. Membership questions

Re: PWAA non-parent coach not available: Janzig noting that if a nonparent can be found it would alleviate a lot of frustration and drama. Carlson questioning if drama is from parents or players or if parents are ‘coaching’ their kids with unnecessary drama at home. Both parties agreed to disagree on the matter. Huttel noted that he hears that drama is from a history of kids not playing and sitting the bench while only select kids play. Some coaches are also recruiting players from other districts/schools to play on HAHA teams. Huttel wants the parents to talk more openly and respectfully about these issues real-time and help to move forward to have a successful PW year.

Well, pekyman's credibility-which was already hanging by a thread-is now non-existent. Here's a summary of his most egregious missteps:

Assertion-"Open enrollment is not allowed at Hermantown!"
Reality- 21% of Hermantown students are open-enrollees, as reported in the DNT news article.

Assertion-"There is no recruiting at Hermantown!"
Reality-Not only have people outside the program witnessed recruiting by Hermantown coaches, the association itself considers it a problem that needs to be addressed.

Assertion-"Hermantown hasn't gotten better, the other teams in 7A have just gotten worse!"
Reality-Hibbing had a top 5 A team last year that was their best in at least a decade, Greenway has improved vastly into a top 10 and perhaps top 5 team this year, Virginia is on the verge of putting out some top 10 A teams over the next couple seasons, Eveleth-Gilbert has some youth teams that are right there with some of the top range teams, Denfeld recently had a run of near top 10 A teams, and Duluth Marshall progressed to the point where they opted up to AA. Even tiny North Shore put out a team that visited the rankings last year and they have a couple of talented youngsters. All Hermantown did was beat the AA champ and AA 3rd place teams last year before embarking on the most lopsided single A title run in history that ended with them making 2nd ranked Breck look like Moose Lake. (Sorry Moose Lake fans.)

That said, I agree that a Hermantown move to AA instantly gives northern hockey a shot in the arm. Excitement amongst the 7A teams will surge as parity will return to the section and even the 4 or 5 seeds could conceivably ride a hot streak to the tourney. And the 7AA tourney would be a mad house with ER out and a semifinal Saturday lineup of Hermantown, GR, Cloquet, and East packing Amsoil to the brim.

I hope it happens.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:11 pm

Where do people think Elk River would go?

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:48 pm

Section 8 guy wrote:Where do people think Elk River would go?
5AA

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:05 am

rainier wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

15. Membership questions

Well, pekyman's credibility-which was already hanging by a thread-is now non-existent. Here's a summary of his most egregious missteps:

Assertion-"Open enrollment is not allowed at Hermantown!"
Reality- 21% of Hermantown students are open-enrollees, as reported in the DNT news article.

Assertion-"There is no recruiting at Hermantown!"
Reality-Not only have people outside the program witnessed recruiting by Hermantown coaches, the association itself considers it a problem that needs to be addressed.

Assertion-"Hermantown hasn't gotten better, the other teams in 7A have just gotten worse!"
Reality-Hibbing had a top 5 A team last year that was their best in at least a decade, Greenway has improved vastly into a top 10 and perhaps top 5 team this year, Virginia is on the verge of putting out some top 10 A teams over the next couple seasons, Eveleth-Gilbert has some youth teams that are right there with some of the top range teams, Denfeld recently had a run of near top 10 A teams, and Duluth Marshall progressed to the point where they opted up to AA. Even tiny North Shore put out a team that visited the rankings last year and they have a couple of talented youngsters. All Hermantown did was beat the AA champ and AA 3rd place teams last year before embarking on the most lopsided single A title run in history that ended with them making 2nd ranked Breck look like Moose Lake. (Sorry Moose Lake fans.)

That said, I agree that a Hermantown move to AA instantly gives northern hockey a shot in the arm. Excitement amongst the 7A teams will surge as parity will return to the section and even the 4 or 5 seeds could conceivably ride a hot streak to the tourney. And the 7AA tourney would be a mad house with ER out and a semifinal Saturday lineup of Hermantown, GR, Cloquet, and East packing Amsoil to the brim.

I hope it happens.
You have to give the Hermantown Board credit for addressing the Recruiting issue. It's been a problem for a long time. The kids who grow up there are just as fed up with it as the Associations who lose their top players to them. If it continues there won't be any other Associations left up here so Kudos to them for addressing it.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:36 am

Jeffy95 wrote:You have to give the Hermantown Board credit for addressing the Recruiting issue. It's been a problem for a long time. The kids who grow up there are just as fed up with it as the Associations who lose their top players to them. If it continues there won't be any other Associations left up here so Kudos to them for addressing it.
Agreed but it remains to be seen what action - if any - will be taken.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:26 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:You have to give the Hermantown Board credit for addressing the Recruiting issue. It's been a problem for a long time. The kids who grow up there are just as fed up with it as the Associations who lose their top players to them. If it continues there won't be any other Associations left up here so Kudos to them for addressing it.
Agreed but it remains to be seen what action - if any - will be taken.
There definitely won't be any action taken but at least their Board confirmed what everyone already knew. Maybe it at least helps the legitimate, small town teams that they've slaughtered over the years feel a little bit better about it.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:59 pm

To help me understand this, can you tell me which players on last year's varsity team open enrolled at Hermantown, where they are from and when they changed to Htown school district.

Thanks.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:16 pm

elliott70 wrote:To help me understand this, can you tell me which players on last year's varsity team open enrolled at Hermantown, where they are from and when they changed to Htown school district.

Thanks.
The discussion by the HAHA board and what many of us have seen first-hand is at the Youth Level, not the High School. The kids are already there by the time they get to High School. The Squirt A team last year had quite a few and a few more at the PeeWee level. Heck, their best player on the PeeWee AA team two years ago didn't live in Hermantown or go to school there. He lived on Pike Lake (Proctor Assoc. Boundary) and went to Marshall. Not sure how they snuck that one through. I don't know who the kids are that the HAHA board is referring to as being recruited by coaches last year and this year at the PeeWee level. You would have to ask them that.

But to answer your question, the players that I know of who open-enrolled to Hermantown from last year's High School team were Wyatt Aamodt - started in Hermantown very young, Dylan Samberg - PeeWees I believe and Logan Judnick - also PeeWees. Parker Hawk was another one on the team the year before that. He went in PeeWee or Bantam. All four of them lived in the Proctor School district.

rainier

Post by rainier » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:33 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:To help me understand this, can you tell me which players on last year's varsity team open enrolled at Hermantown, where they are from and when they changed to Htown school district.

Thanks.
The discussion by the HAHA board and what many of us have seen first-hand is at the Youth Level, not the High School. The kids are already there by the time they get to High School. The Squirt A team last year had quite a few and a few more at the PeeWee level. Heck, their best player on the PeeWee AA team two years ago didn't live in Hermantown or go to school there. He lived on Pike Lake (Proctor Assoc. Boundary) and went to Marshall. Not sure how they snuck that one through. I don't know who the kids are that the HAHA board is referring to as being recruited by coaches last year and this year at the PeeWee level. You would have to ask them that.

But to answer your question, the players that I know of who open-enrolled to Hermantown from last year's High School team were Wyatt Aamodt - started in Hermantown very young, Dylan Samberg - PeeWees I believe and Logan Judnick - also PeeWees. Parker Hawk was another one on the team the year before that. He went in PeeWee or Bantam. All four of them lived in the Proctor School district.
In addition to the open enrollees, Gotz moved in as a sophomore and Watkins moved in as a pee wee.

Most people have no problem with players open enrolling or a family moving somewhere because they think it is a better opportunity for their kid. The problem myself and many others have is that when faced with criticism over choosing to kick butt in A instead of playing teams at their same skill level in AA, Hermantown defenders claim they are "where we belong" in A because they only have an enrollment of 600 to feed their "small town hockey" program. They refuse to acknowledge that getting the best talent from nearby Proctor effectively makes their enrollment 1200 when it comes to hockey, and that being in a metro area of 150,000 people makes it orders of magnitude easier for a family to move in compared to most A schools.

Going to the A title game every year for a decade should be enough for any school to feel that they are good enough for AA, but when you factor in the open enrollment, move ins, AA youth teams, and AA-heavy HS regular season schedule, it truly becomes ridiculous to claim that single A is "where we belong".

It sucks to have to admit that you'd rather collect single A trophies and banners against weaker competition than take the risk of losing to a team as good as you are in the 7AA playoffs, but that's really the only logical explanation for what is going on in Hermantown.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:34 pm

rainier wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Thanks.

In addition to the open enrollees, Gotz moved in as a sophomore and Watkins moved in as a pee wee.

Most people have no problem with players open enrolling or a family moving somewhere because they think it is a better opportunity for their kid. The problem myself and many others have is that when faced with criticism over choosing to kick butt in A instead of playing teams at their same skill level in AA, Hermantown defenders claim they are "where we belong" in A because they only have an enrollment of 600 to feed their "small town hockey" program. They refuse to acknowledge that getting the best talent from nearby Proctor effectively makes their enrollment 1200 when it comes to hockey, and that being in a metro area of 150,000 people makes it orders of magnitude easier for a family to move in compared to most A schools.

Going to the A title game every year for a decade should be enough for any school to feel that they are good enough for AA, but when you factor in the open enrollment, move ins, AA youth teams, and AA-heavy HS regular season schedule, it truly becomes ridiculous to claim that single A is "where we belong".

It sucks to have to admit that you'd rather collect single A trophies and banners against weaker competition than take the risk of losing to a team as good as you are in the 7AA playoffs, but that's really the only logical explanation for what is going on in Hermantown.
It sure looks as though Proctor would have had some nice A hockey teams if all their elite players wouldn't have left for Hermantown.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:26 pm

kniven wrote:
rainier wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Thanks.

It sure looks as though Proctor would have had some nice A hockey teams if all their elite players wouldn't have left for Hermantown.
Lane Krenzen, (Marshall) and Garrett Worth, (East) also live in the Proctor School District. An unbelievable amount of talent for a small school like Proctor. Jake Malec, Derek Dahlgren and Jon Aase are very talented players that played for Proctor last year also. Put all of those guys on a team and they are the two time defending State champs in Class A and arguably would have made a run at the AA title also. Crazy to think about.......

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:56 am

Jeffy95 wrote:

Thanks.

Parker Hawk lives in Hermantown. Not open enrolled.
Wyatt Aamotd lives on Pike Lake, which is closer to Hermantown and has gone to HT since Kindergarten. Never would have went to Proctor. Pike Lake should be in the Hermantown District.

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:03 am

rainier wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Thanks.

Gotz and Watkins live in Hermantown, there not open enrolled. Do you need Hermantown DNA 3 generations back yo escape your microscope? :roll:

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:09 am

pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Thanks.

Gotz and Watkins live in Hermantown, there not open enrolled. Do you need Hermantown DNA 3 generations back yo escape your microscope? :roll:
Denfeld and Marshall sit right inside this huge metro area you refer to. What's there excuse? Also, Hermantown has lost more kids to Denfeld and Marshall that they have gotten from those schools. It works both ways.
Hermantown has an excellent hockey program and develops great hockey players. Too bad the schools are full and the arena can not handle any more kids or it would attract even more. There are hundreds on the open enroll waiting list and no room for them. Not all hockey players either.The vast majority of open enrolled are coming from the Duluth Heights/Kenwood area and I can't say as I blame them. Also, most of them are not hockey players. They are more leaving a school more then they are enrolling in a new one. Why would they stick with Duluth when these kids get to high school they will have to travel down the hill to Denfeld. Hermantown is closer, has less traffic, no hill to go up/down in the winter and it’s in a quiet residential area not an inner city.

Closing Central HS has caused housing prices in this area to dive and people fleeing to Hermantown. Whose fault is that??

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:23 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote:
rainier wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Thanks.

Lane Krenzen, (Marshall) and Garrett Worth, (East) also live in the Proctor School District. An unbelievable amount of talent for a small school like Proctor. Jake Malec, Derek Dahlgren and Jon Aase are very talented players that played for Proctor last year also. Put all of those guys on a team and they are the two time defending State champs in Class A and arguably would have made a run at the AA title also. Crazy to think about.......
There is no reason why Proctor can not have an excellent Hockey program and keep it's kids. It's in a sad state and it's not Hermantown's fault. Last year someone on here said they were trying to fix things. I hope that is true. Hermantown moving to AA will not fix all your problems - sorry.

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:28 am

Jeffy95 wrote:

15. Membership questions

All it takes is 1 disgruntled parent to make a mountain out of a mole hill and you guys take it a mile. Hermantown does not have to recruit players/students, the are attracted. Especially when Duluth closes Central HS and craps on everybody that lives in Kenwood and Duluth Heights Area.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:03 am

pekyman wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Thanks.

Wyatt Aamotd lives on Pike Lake, which is closer to Hermantown and has gone to HT since Kindergarten. Never would have went to Proctor. Pike Lake should be in the Hermantown District.
He lived in Saginaw when he started at Hermantown. All of his siblings stayed at Proctor school. So I'm guessing he didn't go for the "Schools."

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:09 am

pekyman wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

15. Membership questions

All it takes is 1 disgruntled parent to make a mountain out of a mole hill and you guys take it a mile. Hermantown does not have to recruit players/students, the are attracted. Especially when Duluth closes Central HS and craps on everybody that lives in Kenwood and Duluth Heights Area.
No, they certainly don't have to recruit. So it's understandable why people get so upset that they've done it for so long. At least the HAHA board has acknowledged it. The vast majority of the open-enrollees playing Hockey in Hermantown are from Piedmont, Morgan Park and Proctor. Nothing to do with Kenwood or Duluth Heights.

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:12 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
pekyman wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Thanks.

He lived in Saginaw when he started at Hermantown. All of his siblings stayed at Proctor school. So I'm guessing he didn't go for the "Schools."
Which makes the other siblings open enrolls at Proctor now!
If people feel strong enough to make a commitment and but a house in a school district why don't you guys leave them alone. :roll:

By the way, I think it's pretty petty of you to name kids names on here.
What is your real name and where do you live? Have you lived there all your life or did you recently move? Why did you move? :roll:

None of this is going to help your Proctor of Denfeld Hockey programs. I forgot which one you belong to. What is your sons name by the way?
Maybe we should talk about the problems with your association and get you some help.
Talk about beating a dead horse.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:35 am

pekyman wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
pekyman wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Thanks.

By the way, I think it's pretty petty of you to name kids names on here.
Yeah, because you can't find the names of 18 year old High School Athletes all over the internet on any given day. Checked out Youth Hockey Hub lately? You can read all about your favorite Squirts.

My guess is that nobody really cares what you or I think. What is important is that the HAHA board has acknowledged the recruiting issue and will hopefully try to stop it. It's very unfair for a kid to grow up playing Hockey in Hermantown and then get cut by a recruit. It's also unfair to the Associations that lose their players. This game is supposed to be about the kids.